BoohdahLovah's Soil Gary Poppins Clone Grow Journal 2023

BoohdahLovah

Strain: Gary Poppins Clone - original seed from Exotic Genetics
Website says hybrid: Not sure what ratio - supposed to be 25-30% THC so let’s see how we go
State: Veg
Started: Been vegging for a while, planted in 5 gallon GeoPot yesterday, which I’ll call day one
Indoor Tent: Gorrila Grow Tent 2’x2.5’x5’11”
Soil: Dr Greenthumb's TurboDirt water only (2nd run) - with a bit of potting mix/perlite/compost to fill
Ammendments: Dr Greenthumb's Go & Grow and Bud & Bloom
Pot Size: 5 Gal GeoPot
Light: @Mars Hydro reflector 96 - 18hr/6hr
Ferts: Dr Greenthumb's Root Roids and Ocean Grown Fish Hydrolysate
Temp: around 25°C during the day
RH: Crappy little hygrometer says 59%
PH: Unknown/Not Measured
Pests: None (so far)
Watering: As needed with tap water and Root Roids once a week

I’m using my old light for the start of this grow. I’m hoping to upgrade to a FC 3000 sometime in the next month or so. Just depends on the funds.

This clone has been chilling in my clone tent for a little while, and when I got it it had been in the little pot for a little while already. When I did get it I cut a bunch of the soil off and repotted with new soil because I knew it was going to be a little while before I was going to be able to grow it out. It was a bit root bound at the time and bounced back beautifully when I repotted it. Up until yesterday it was in a litre pot (1/4 gallon) but I put her in a 5 gallon GeoPot. I noticed that roots had started going around the pot when I took it out.

I’ve taken some fan leaves off and have started some LST. I’m looking forward to this grow and seeing what comes of it. I was going to try a SIP grow, but it might be the next one.

Anyway, this is my second grow journal and I can’t wait to see how this one goes.

IMG_5107.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

Day 6 - Since potting in 5gal

When I first got this one and put it in the clone tent I didn’t have the conditions right. The soil wasn’t drying out because there wasn’t proper air flow. Then I thought it’d be a good idea to put the exhaust from another tent in. The exhaust turned out to be too warm for the tent. So out of four clones, only three survived and they all had a whole lot of damaged leaves. I’ve now got an oscillating fan in there which is so far going well.

I’ve been doing a little defol on this one since I’ve put her in the big girl pot in the big girl tent, trying to get rid of as many of the heavily damaged leaves as possible. I can see that the new growth is coming through lighter green, which is good, but I may be stressing her out too much at a time because her whole stem system is purple. It might also be a nutrient deficiency, or even temperatures being too low.

So I can keep an easy feeding schedule I’m going to give her her first feed of Root Roids and fish Hydrolysate on Saturday. Hopefully that’ll keep her a bit better balanced as far as nutrients go, and make her a bit more comfortable and healthy. So far it’s just been plain tap water.

I’m thinking I will lookinto how to set up a SIP grow with this one because I have seen some great grows on here using that method. I think to begin with I’m going to try sitting the pot on a bet of perlite. I’ve got a bag of it already so I just have to get a decent container for it.

This is my third grow and the first using a clone. First grow was two plants from bag seed that I tried to scrog, which I’m not sure actually was. The second is an autoflower that is a stunted plant. This current grow I’ve been doing lst to spread her out while I was waiting for space in the tent. I’m not sure when to flip to veg because how she’s looking with the lst and the defol. If I was to get at least a couple of oz from each grow I would be happy. Obviously more than that would be a lot better, but I think that’s a good minimum. That should last me between harvests if I’m using one tent for veg and one tent for flower for continual growing.

The other two clones of the Gary Poppins are staying as mother plants. I’m keeping two for now so I can practice cloning until I know I can do it consistently. Once I’ve got it down I’m only going to keep one of them as a mother. I’m getting my hands on a clone of cereal milk soon which I’m going to keep as mother too. Then I’ve got a seed of Apple Betty waiting in the wings which I’m going to do as well. My aim is to keep maybe four different strains as mothers so I can always have a grow going on. I’ll change the roster if something is worth keeping as it comes up, but I think I’ve got a solid start.

IMG_5171.jpeg

Day 9 - since potting in 5gal

Today was a feed/water day. So I gave 2 litres of water with a couple of scoops of Root Roids and 10ml of the fish Hydrolysate. The instructions for the FH says 10ml per litre of water so I’ll do that next week.

I also added 5 worms from my worm bin. They burrowed down pretty quickly, which is what happened when I added them to my other grow. Hopefully they work their magic and help the plant grow to its full potential.

I just reread my last post. I meant to say I’m not sure when to flip to flower. Not veg. So I still don’t know when I should flip to flower. I’ve had her for 70 days but she’d been in a pot for at least a month before that. Up until 9 days ago she was in a litre pot (1/4 gal).

My first grow I had a scrog going but I grew the two plants from seed. Im not sure if it was a scrog in the truest sense, because the screen was only about 6 inches above the pots. But I mostly filled the screen before I flipped.

My second grow is an auto so I didn’t have to worry about flipping.

Any suggestions as to when I should flip are extremely welcomed.

IMG_5206.jpeg

IMG_5207.jpeg

Day 12 - since potting in 5gal

Gave her another few litres of water today. She’s starting to bush up a little bit. I think I’m going to stop the training and let her start growing vertical.

I’ve been given the advice that I should let her grow a fair bit in height before I flip. The tent is 5’11” right now, but it’s got an extension I can add another foot to, so it could be 6’11”. I think that’ll give me plenty of room to grow tall.

I think the frame work of the plant so far is pretty good to allow for this vertical growth. Time will tell I guess.

Please let me know how you think I’m going and if you have any suggestions for me. Don’t forget to hit that like button and subscribe. 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5224.jpeg

Day 13 - since potting in 5gal
Just a quick update.

After checking on her there’s already some growth since yesterday. I’m hoping that I’ve learnt some things from my first two grows that this one will be the best so far.

With good genetics and some more know-how I can’t wait to see how I can do.

I also need to remember to not take the pics inside the tent. The colour of the light doesn’t do the photos any favours.

IMG_5235.jpeg

Day 16 - since potting in 5gal

She received another feed of two litres of water with 20ml of the fish Hydrolysate and two scoops of root roids. This is per both instructions. I’ll see how she responds and I might up the ratio to see if she can handle it.

The new growth is looking pretty healthy. I’m so excited to see her grow. The FC 3000 should arrive early next week so we should see even better growth.

I’ve also got someone keeping guard over the grow.

IMG_5252.jpeg

IMG_5253.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

Day 19

She’s looking pretty good as far as the leaf colour and health is concerned. She’s starting to bush up a little bit too. My plan is to grow her taller and scrog when the tops are about 30cm / 1ft tall, unless someone reading this has a better plan. My first grow I tried scrogging but the net was really close to the top of the pot. I’ve learnt some things along the way.

A bit of a concern is that there appears to be pistils coming out at some of the nodes. The light I t’s under is a Mars Hydro FC 3000, set at 75%, about 30cm / 1ft above the canopy, and on for 18 hours a day. I read online that it’s nothing to worry about as long as I keep an eye on it and nothing else goes awry.

As she’s looking really good I might try upping her feeding and see how she responds. Her next feed is going to be on Saturday. I’ll give her a top dressing of some of the Go & Grow fertiliser I’ve got too.

IMG_5282.jpeg

1BA682A1-522B-4263-A1C0-C0198E8FA621.jpeg

Day 23

Yesterday I gave her a bit of a defol. I took a fair bit off so I hope I haven’t shocked her too much. I was pretty brutal.
56951B21-7ED6-4B88-BCF7-887537F55B40.jpeg

Today was water and feed day. I was looking at this thread by @Emilya Green on how to properly water a pot plant and have tried to follow her instructions as best as I could. So the last lot of water I gave her was about 5 days ago and the leaves are dropping a bit. I’ll see what she looks like in the morning.
IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

Day 42 - since potting in 5gal

Apologies for the delay in an update. There’s been a little bit going on over here.

The watering style from this thread by @Emilya Green is working really well. She’s thriving. These are some photos I took yesterday before I gave her a water and feed.
E21DABEF-303A-4D52-9EB3-E1E047E4F395.jpeg

IMG_5351.jpeg

And here are some photos from today after the rebound.
CD4B95BD-E532-4AC6-8D8F-8FA70A63E9CC.jpeg

IMG_5357.jpeg

I flipped the light schedule yesterday, so she’s on 12 hours on and 12 hours off. It’s also at 100% and about 30cm (1ft) from the canopy.

The average canopy height is about 30cm (1ft) too. I’m going to set up the SCROG netting soon. I’m probably going to have it about 30cm (1ft) from the top of the soil, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

I’m so excited to she how she goes in flower and then how she finishes up.

Hey @BoohdahLovah , I'm a bit late for this one but I'll pull up a seat in the corner. Some thoughts follow...

If I was to get at least a couple of oz from each grow I would be happy. Obviously more than that would be a lot better, but I think that’s a good minimum. That should last me between harvests if I’m using one tent for veg and one tent for flower for continual growing.
I do a perpetual grow which is a good way to do things if you're set up for it. Properly timed you can get at least one or two extra rounds in per year. I have two plants in flower at a time about 6 weeks apart and restocked from the veg area with clones on that schedule.

The other two clones of the Gary Poppins are staying as mother plants. I’m keeping two for now so I can practice cloning until I know I can do it consistently. Once I’ve got it down I’m only going to keep one of them as a mother.
Once you get cloning down you might not even need to keep a mother, just take clones from the next plant headed into flower and cycle them through. Although depending on the size of your flower tent if you want to keep four strains going you might need to keep pseudo mothers around.

That's what I do. No long-term mothers per se, with all the biannual root pruning and soil refreshing stuff, but more like a good healthy plant that provides clones before it heads off to flower, the healthiest of which becomes the new temporary mother and on it goes.

Any suggestions as to when I should flip are extremely welcomed.
For a photo period plant there are a couple of standards.

First, it's probably best to wait until the plant is sexually mature, although some growers do go 12/12 from seed to cycle their grows through faster. Smaller plants but minimal veg time if you didn't have space for both veg and flower spaces.

A seedling will be sexually mature when it starts throwing alternating, rather than opposite, nodes, somewhere after node 4 typically. And all clones share the age of the mother, so if the mother is sexually mature, the clone will be also as soon as it roots.

When to flip to flower is then grower's choice, typically the longer the veg, the better the rootball and bigger the plant. BUT, you'll want to flip before your plant gets too big that it will outgrow your flower space during the stretch.

Most plants will stretch 2-3x (that's right, it will double or triple in height) the size they were in veg in the first 2-3 weeks after flip. We call this the transition period and the plant will grow like crazy before it starts throwing pistils. You need to account for this since most light manufacturers will suggest a minimum distance from their light to the top of you plants. So take the total height you have from lights to bottom of tent, subtract the light distance and pot size and divide the resulting space by 2-3 which will give you the maximum height your plant can be when you flip to 12/12.

I’ve also got someone keeping guard over the grow.
Pet spider. Nice. Don't see those very often. What's it's name? :laughtwo:

A bit of a concern is that there appears to be pistils coming out at some of the nodes. The light I t’s under is a Mars Hydro FC 3000, set at 75%, about 30cm / 1ft above the canopy, and on for 18 hours a day. I read online that it’s nothing to worry about as long as I keep an eye on it and nothing else goes awry.
On a photo period this is normal somewhere after node 4 typically and, as long as you keep the light at veg timing it will carry on as normal. Nothing to be concerned about.

Yesterday I gave her a bit of a defol. I took a fair bit off so I hope I haven’t shocked her too much. I was pretty brutal.
Tough love but that gets the the repair hormones going and you usually stimulate even more growth when you do it.

The watering style from this thread by @Emilya Green is working really well. She’s thriving. These are some photos I took yesterday before I gave her a water and feed.
The wet/dry cycle can be a good one. I've moved on to SIPs which, as you know, have a different watering process. For the wet/dry cycle you want to try to water them the day before they droop, and that cycle often starts out as 7-10 days depending on size of both plant and container, and then shortens by a day or so each watering cycle. Test it by picking up the pot which should feel surpringly light before you give it more water.

If you start off in small pots you'd uppot when that cycle becomes only a day or two..

But that's for veg. In flower you give them everything they want, no dry cycle.

The average canopy height is about 30cm (1ft) too. I’m going to set up the SCROG netting soon. I’m probably going to have it about 30cm (1ft) from the top of the soil, unless anyone has any other suggestions.
I tried a scrog once and didn't like it so I've moved on to quadlining (link in my sig) so others will have to chime in there.

Your grow is looking great! Carry on. :thumb:

Hey @BoohdahLovah , I'm a bit late for this one but I'll pull up a seat in the corner. Some thoughts follow...

I do a perpetual grow which is a good way to do things if you're set up for it. Properly timed you can get at least one or two extra rounds in per year. I have two plants in flower at a time about 6 weeks apart and restocked from the veg area with clones on that schedule.

Once you get cloning down you might not even need to keep a mother, just take clones from the next plant headed into flower and cycle them through. Although depending on the size of your flower tent if you want to keep four strains going you might need to keep pseudo mothers around.

That's what I do. No long-term mothers per se, with all the biannual root pruning and soil refreshing stuff, but more like a good healthy plant that provides clones before it heads off to flower, the healthiest of which becomes the new temporary mother and on it goes.

For a photo period plant there are a couple of standards.

First, it's probably best to wait until the plant is sexually mature, although some growers do go 12/12 from seed to cycle their grows through faster. Smaller plants but minimal veg time if you didn't have space for both veg and flower spaces.

A seedling will be sexually mature when it starts throwing alternating, rather than opposite, nodes, somewhere after node 4 typically. And all clones share the age of the mother, so if the mother is sexually mature, the clone will be also as soon as it roots.

When to flip to flower is then grower's choice, typically the longer the veg, the better the rootball and bigger the plant. BUT, you'll want to flip before your plant gets too big that it will outgrow your flower space during the stretch.

Most plants will stretch 2-3x (that's right, it will double or triple in height) the size they were in veg in the first 2-3 weeks after flip. We call this the transition period and the plant will grow like crazy before it starts throwing pistils. You need to account for this since most light manufacturers will suggest a minimum distance from their light to the top of you plants. So take the total height you have from lights to bottom of tent, subtract the light distance and pot size and divide the resulting space by 2-3 which will give you the maximum height your plant can be when you flip to 12/12.

Pet spider. Nice. Don't see those very often. What's it's name? :laughtwo:

On a photo period this is normal somewhere after node 4 typically and, as long as you keep the light at veg timing it will carry on as normal. Nothing to be concerned about.

Tough love but that gets the the repair hormones going and you usually stimulate even more growth when you do it.

The wet/dry cycle can be a good one. I've moved on to SIPs which, as you know, have a different watering process. For the wet/dry cycle you want to try to water them the day before they droop, and that cycle often starts out as 7-10 days depending on size of both plant and container, and then shortens by a day or so each watering cycle. Test it by picking up the pot which should feel surpringly light before you give it more water.

If you start off in small pots you'd uppot when that cycle becomes only a day or two..

But that's for veg. In flower you give them everything they want, no dry cycle.

I tried a scrog once and didn't like it so I've moved on to quadlining (link in my sig) so others will have to chime in there.

Your grow is looking great! Carry on. :thumb:
As usual, your insights are great and are very much appreciated.

I reckon I might go with a perpetual grow style. I have been reading up on them for a little while before I started growing but wasn’t sure how things would work. After trying cloning and having some grows happening, I think I’d be able to do perpetual. Just doing a defol I would have been able to plant a dozen clones and I’d only need one to take.

I’m thinking the mother that I got this clone from was mature because it’s only had alternating nodes. Good to know.

Day 54

The plant is looking pretty good. I was expecting a bit more of a stretch during the first couple of weeks of flowering. I guess it makes it more manageable and I don’t have to worry about running out of room.

The buds are starting to form and are looking good. It’s only a short time before the smells come out. I sure am looking forward to that.

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5407.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

After trying cloning and having some grows happening, I think I’d be able to do perpetual. Just doing a defol I would have been able to plant a dozen clones and I’d only need one to take.
What's your cloning practice? You can read about mine in my sig.

What's your cloning practice? You can read about mine in my sig.
I’ve been cutting them like you do in your instructions, but I also cut the tips off any of the bigger fan leaves from the top cluster.

I’ve been using jiffy pellets with moderate success. I’ve just done of a defol of the Cereal Milk and have put two of the cuttings in jiffy pellets and two in the soil that I use in the bigger pots to see if it makes any difference.

I did a side-by-side where one group's leaves got trimmed like you mentioned, the others did not. The trimmed group didn't root nearly as fast or as well as the other.

Pretty small sample size and I didn't repeat it so could have been a fluke, but I haven't trimmed leaves since.

I did a side-by-side where one group's leaves got trimmed like you mentioned, the others did not. The trimmed group didn't root nearly as fast or as well as the other.

Pretty small sample size and I didn't repeat it so could have been a fluke, but I haven't trimmed leaves since.
I read a few places saying that cutting the tips is the thing to do to promote rooting quicker, which is why I’ve always just done it that way. Next time I’ll try a side by side comparison and see if I get similar results to you. I’m always up to trying new things if it means a possible improvement.

Day 72 - Week 4 of Flower

Again, apologies for the length of time between updates.

The Gary Poppins is coming along nicely. I’ve been watering her as she needs it, which is about 4L every couple of days, as well as keeping to the feeding schedule.

The smell is really nice and sweet, almost like Sunburst candy. The buds are also forming nicely.

IMG_5484.jpeg

IMG_5485.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

What's the deal with that far right hand cola? Almost like the terminal node of an LST but looks like you quadded it. :hmmmm:
I think it might just be that by me spreading it flat it made it grow out the nodes, but it just looks like I quadded it. It definitely wasn’t planned this way and I can’t remember topping it or anything.

Back
Top Bottom