Smacsidhe's Soil Mixed Strains Grow Journal - 2013

smacsidhe

Hi Y'all, I am both a new patient and a new grower. I am somewhere around halfway through bud on my first crop. I will carry this journal on through the harvest and cure of the next crop, as this one was just a rough and ready tutorial for me. I will have Better info on my strains for next crop, more on why further in.

I am growing in a mix of FoxFarm Ocean and worm castings mixed with mushroom and organic potting soil (can't remember brand). I started with five mothers gifted to me; 1 Jack Herer, 1 Dairy queen, 2 White Widow and 1 sour Diesel (Not for sure but I think the Diesel was a cross with something else from the taste, appearance, smell and high). I was also given 3 SD clones, 1 JH clone, and 2 WW clones. These were from my Son, who was given them by a grower who had lost his patient, and didn't need them anymore.

I built my 7' L X 4' w X 6' H grow room in my shed, using 1 1/2" sheets of foam insulation board with the shiny side in, and the first weekend in June my son brought me the plants, and some lights and hoods. We went shopping for the rest of what I needed. When he brought the plants, the were all in Dixie cups. I bought square 1.5 gal pots for the mothers and round 3.5 gal ones for the crop.

We ran the Veg with two 27? CFL's and one 400 watt. I fed every other watering with FoxFarm Grow Big, and and used a Root Support single feeding with something that my Son had with him when I did the Transplant. About one month in to Veg I got a bad case of White Powder mold, and had a heck of a time getting Rid of it. The Local Grow Store Turned me on to an organic Foliage Spray that worked after a month of spraying every third day or so.
It was so bad that my plants were beginning to die by the time I found that spray, and it was a close call to save them. I know now what to look for, and just how important humidity and airflow control is. My ignorance almost cost me my first crop right then. I did lose one WW mother.

Finally, I got them nice and healthy again. Then, around the end of Sept., just when I was ready to begin adjusting the light schedule for bud, I came out one morning, and most of the leaves were completely yellow. Figuring it was nut lock, I flushed with 15 gal for each of the crop, and 12 gal for each of the mothers. I had to wait for the plants to recover and refoliate before I could put them into bud, and the mothers never did get as healthy as I would have liked.

I was actively bending and twist-tieing down my tops as the plants grew, so between the 10 plants I have somewhere around 45 tops.

Because I had lost all of the lower branches on all of the plants, and they had been so stressed that I wanted to begin with new mothers, I decided just to buy seeds after harvest and begin fresh, so I put them all into bud 4 weeks ago today. I am using all of the lights that I did for veg, and added a 1000 watt MH to HPS conversion bulb with a switchable ballast. Right now, four weeks since beginning the light transition, I have trimmed away almost all the Fan leaves, down to the bottom couple inches of canopy, and everything looks very healthy. I am feeding FoxFarm Big Bloom 2 out of 4 waterings, and Grow big on 1 out of 4 waterings. I have good buds forming throughout a 12 - 16" canopy, and the top several inches are forming into nice kolas. They are all crystally, and I have a plethora of clear triclomes.

Yesterday AM I took an early sample bud from the smaller JH. It was a small one from about halfway through the canopy on a smaller side stalk. I left in on top of the HPS hood loosely folded in a paper towel, and after about three hours it was fairly dry. I burped it Three times for about 20 minutes each over the next 24 hours. It was a nice, pretty dense bud just big enough for a small bowl. I put it in my pipe about an hour ago.

Toke Report: Pipe was a seasoned but freshly cleaned antler pocket pipe with a preburned clean screen. Rather harsh grassy taste, what I expected with a rushed sample dry and half baked (pun intended) cure. The smoke was rather mild on the throat and lungs though, and had a smooth exhale. I was prepared to not notice much of an effect at all, as this was such an early sample, and taken more out of impatience than thinking I should test for readiness. I was pleasantly surprised to notice a mild onset of a gentle cerebral high by the time I was ready for my second hit. Two hits was enough for the time being, as I wanted to feel the effect by the toke. Within ten minutes, I was beginning to feel a slight relaxing body effect. It was mild, and felt very good. Pain levels went down by about one and a half points on the one to ten scale. After thirty minutes from the second hit I took a third, and the cerebral high got a little more intense, a little buzzy, but still able to think clearly and function.

I really can't wait to smoke this as a mature well cured medicine! I have bought a lot of medicine from dispensaries that was not this good, and this is halfway through bud and rush dried!

I am going to borrow a friends camera to take some good pictures, but it's not so important till I begin building the rooms for the permanent set up.

I have two people who are signing me up as their caretaker/grower, so next harvest will be around 18 plants. the plan is to get 48 clones and take the first 18 into bud at 6 weeks, and the rest when the first ones are harvested. I will need a fourth card to grow for by then, but I have the room, and know I can give them good medicine for less than dispensary prices.

The next set up will be in the attic. I have an old house with a large enough attic to put in a whole second floor. I will do two 12 x 12 rooms for veg, and one 12 x 16 room for flower. I should have enough room up there for a trimming area, supply storage area, work table, and drying room. So far I have most of the area floored, and will be putting in the walls before I have this grow cured. Then I'll move the lights and all that when I start the clones.

I will post again in a few days, with a pic of the current plants in bud.

Sage.

OK, these are the pics from last night;
Sorry, I know I need a much better camera, lol

DSC013166.JPG
DSC013154.JPG
DSC013147.JPG
DSC013136.JPG
DSC0131110.JPG
DSC013104.JPG
DSC013086.JPG

Hi Smacsidhe.

Welcome to :420:!

I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble with your first grow, but all things considered I have to say I think your plants look pretty darn good! I appreciate you sharing the rest of your grow with us and look forward to following along with you on the journey.

Thanks TanR,
To tell the truth, since my son is teaching me from several hundred miles away, I figured if a couple survived and I got an ounce or two off the first grow I'd be doing good. I am no gardener, and my thumbs are a lot closer to brown than green, lol. I've always killed more houseplants than lived long term, and my vegy gardens are never really great.
I knew that I was likely to make mistakes, and that's OK... I am learning from them... mostly what the right questions are, and when to ask for help - before I have 3/4 dead babies, lol. This first grow was a schooling though! I have to totally start over on my grow rooms, and move into the attic where I can have better control of the environment than I can out in that shed.
Some things I learned so far?
1) Water when the babies are thirsty, not on a schedule.
2) More light of the wrong kind is not the best answer... spend the extra if you can and get the right wavelengths for the right stage.
3) Pinch, bend, and create as many new tops as your root system will support, and give lots of light to ensure max growth.
4) Know what's in your soil! Again, Know what's in your soil! Turns out the unnamed potting soil had way too much calcium in it :(
5) If in doubt, underfed is better than overfed. Same with watering. You can add nuts or water if needed, but it's harder to flush out and start over, and much harder to watch your roots rot. Add food or water and everything is fine right away. Overdo, and you may not have a healthy crop even after fixing it.
6) Keep a daily record, even if all you write for the day is "Everything the same as yesterday, not time to water or feed yet." This will give you a record to help figure out what has almost killed your plants, and avoid it in future grows.
7) Don't just ask questions, find a grower who is willing to look at your grow and walk you through the first grow. Yes, ask as many questions as you can think of, even if they seem really dumb to you - but you don't always know what to ask, so find a mentor.

Hows it going and welcome smacsidhe. You grew some nice stuff form the looks of it and it will drastically improve from here. so will the rest of the plants you care for veggies included.

Want to sub and help if possible if the situation arises. But your son sounds like he may be a mentor judging by the quality of your plants.

See you around the mag smacsidhe

Thanks Shottafire!
I can use all the help I can get. My son lives out in the boonies, with no internet and has to go to the end of the driveway for cell signal, which is spotty even there. Sometimes I have to take action (like the morning I came out to check things out and my plants were completely yellow and brown overnight) before he get's my message and gets back to me.
So far I'm OK with where I'm at... will be getting a 25x microscope to check the trichomes in a few days.

Want to sub and help if possible if the situation arises. But your son sounds like he may be a mentor judging by the quality of your plants.

Yes he is. He studied up for almost a year before beginning his first grow. He is on number 5 now, cropping 30 plants at a time. Up till this grow he was running the same strains as mine, and Woo Hoo! he has a couple long term totally organic dirt growers who have mentored him, along with what he learned from treating the learning curve like going to college. Just wish he lived closer, or at least had internet or a reliable phone.

The only thing I do different as far as the basics go is that a friend taught me how to pinch, bend, and grow lots of tops, where he does a strictly vertical grow. So he is running around 6 tops per, and I am running over twenty. The one thing I messed up on in doing that is that my pots are big enough for a vertical grow, but not really large enough to grow a root spread that maximizes yield with that much plant. I know my girls would have much bigger and more bud were I using 10 Gal shorties. Oh well, next time, lol.

What are your thoughts on running the same system but with the larger pots, and beginning flower at 30" (that's the height I went into bud at with these)? Right now mine are around 38", and I anticipate 42 or so by harvest.

I think you should go for it. I am going to get some 7 or 10 gallon pots and step up to bigger pots and bigger bushes. I usually flower at 30" as well thats my target in a five gallon. in a 10 gallon i would let them go 36" or bigger if you had the space. But yeah looking forward to more from your garden.

I guess the main thing I want from the larger pots is a wider root spread that will give me more stalk girth and more robust flowering. From what I've read, the goal from these two things is to grow more roots, allowing more uptake of nuts and also having thicker stalks and branches to support more weight from the bigger buds.

This crop I only bent a couple times, but I knew by the second time that unless I transplanted I couldn't get the density I was after. Even with bigger pots, I would need more light than I could afford this time to support any more density. Next crop I will start bending at about 10", when I do my very first pinch. After that, every time the stem gives me three vertical leaf nodes I will bend the new top sideways between the top two nodes. I'll keep doing this until I have a dense canopy about 18" from the bottom of the canopy to the top.

I plan on using a twine web on an adjustable frame to keep all the growth even. My goal will be to keep just enough growth below the main canopy to give me sisters for the next crop.

I also plan on adjusting my strains for next time. I want 6 Jack Herers, 4 train wreck, 4 Blue Cheese, and four of either Panama Red if I can get the seeds in time, or Northern Lights if I have to wait for the fourth card for the PR. The next crop I will add enough clones to make 6 of each strain.
The very best thing about super-cropping with a screen is that it's a lot easier to grow stretchy strains alongside squatter types. And I can always add another level of twine netting if I need to for bud support at the end. The leveling frame is why I need three rooms, so I can keep each crop in the same set up throughout. I figure it's much easier to move the lights around then it is all the plants.

Here are this mornings pics;

DSC013236.JPG

DSC013225.JPG
DSC013217.JPG

DSC013204.JPG

I'll be adding pics every couple days.
Last night I clipped one smaller mid canopy bud from each strain, doing a regular dry and cure. Each one will give me about four hits in my little pipe. I will take another sample of each when I have no more than 20% clear and at least 20% amber trichomes, and then compare all of those with smoke reports when the main crop is cured.

OK, I think I'm a little ahead of where I thought I was. I borrowed a 60-100 mad scope, and checked triclomes. They are about 80% milky on the WW, about 70% on the Diesel, about 65% on the Dairy and the Jack. Now I'm not sure how long these strains take to go from milk to amber, but I'm thinking I likely have about four days on the WW, five on the Diesel, and 6 or 7 on the Dairy and Jack.

I'm going to try the bud washing as described by Doc Bud in another thread, Bud Washing His post is actually a few down in the thread, but it's his method (have to give credit where credit is due, right?). From what I've read in a few other journals, the dry actually may go a little faster than without washing. Not sure why, but everyone trying it says either there is no difference or that it seems to go faster. Perhaps someone could weigh in with the science behind this?

Man, I really need to get a good camera! My eyes are pretty bad, and I can't get the scope to focus with my glasses. That makes it really hard to see, as I have a much smaller focus range to work with. Oh well, maybe in a few crops... In the mean time, I had someone else look to verify I was seeing it clearly enough to tell the triclome color. Sure would be nice to just take a pic and look at it blown up on the 'puter!

I will post more pics and an update in a day or two... maybe I can borrow a better camera for those ones.

Hey, my Diesel bud leaves are turning Purple!
My son had told me originally that he had gotten Purple Diesel, but later said that he thought that it had turned out to be some other Sour Diesel mix, as none of his leaves went to Purple.
Anyway, I went out tonight to turn on the lights, and sure enough, most of the bud leaves on the Diesel are purple tipped and edged. I have been running my lights at 12/12, with the dark cycle in the daytime. I haven't put a heater out there yet, as the temps are staying well above 40F but I know my boy keeps his room from ever getting below 60F. Perhaps the colder night time temps are needed for the color change?
Will post pics in the morning.

They look like they need more time to plump up. One thing I know is too cold and it puts the plant in an idle state. Meaning it slows down the bud production considerably. The cool air will bring on the color changes as well with a lot of strains. My bubba goes purple no matter the temp. Looking good in there dude. I would hate to see you take them now. and a heater might be good to help em along some. what are the lowest the temps get in your room?

Have a good day smac.

Hey Shottafire,

I know their not ready... what I think is happening is that the colder temps in the daytime are both slowing the growth of the buds, but they are still processing sugars and getting more potent during the day. The temp might also be giving a SD / PD cross to manifest the purple.

So here is the breakdown of my temps, running the lights from 9 PM to 9 AM, and dark from 9 AM to 9 PM:

Daytime outside average temp: 58

Daytime growroom at canopy average temp: 56

Daytime lowest temp: 54

9 PM average temp in GR: 55

9 PM lowest temp: 54

DSC013284.JPG

Yeah, I'm hoping to get to the store today, if not then tomorrow for sure. I would much rather be keeping it around 68.

Here's the other pics form this morning.

White widow
DSC013243.JPG

Jack Herer
DSC013254.JPG

Hey all,

This morning I was at 50% amber on my WW top buds, and most of the lower buds were something like 20% clear, 70% milky and a few amber. I harvested the tops, and hung them in the closet to dry. I estimate the 80% of those that will be salable should weigh in around 1.5 oz. When I harvest the lower buds I should get another 1/2 oz. The PD should give me around 3 oz salable, and the JH and DC will give me about 1 - 1.5 oz, for a total salable of 6 to 6.5 oz, plus around 4 oz of perfectly good medicine for me, and a little bit of hash fixings.
We'll see how my estimates work out when they are all dried and cured.

DSC013304.JPG

DSC013292.JPG

Well, I checked the Diesel, JH and DC tonight. The Diesel is ready at 65 - 70% amber on the top buds, and the Jack and the Dairy are still more milk than color, only about 25% amber on the tops. So I will be taking the Diesel tomorrow morning, and likely the others the next night.
I'll post pics of the harvest rough trimmed & hanging, just like the WW.

OK, this morning I harvested the tops of the Purple Diesel.
This is the White Widow smaller top buds on the screen shelf
DSC013324.JPG

This is both the PD and the WW smaller buds
DSC013315.JPG

Mostly the PD hanging
DSC013333.JPG

Both the WW and the PD hanging
DSC013344.JPG

I will harvest the Jack and the DC tomorrow morning. I expect about the same between the two as I got off the WW or the PD.
Then Tuesday I will take the rest of the bottom buds, leaving a few to help it revert back to a veg state. I can take them as soon as there is some new vegetative growth. I'm thinking now that I will end up with somewhere around 7 oz for the dispensary and around 4 oz for me, with an additional 5 or 6 oz of hash material.
After the plants are sending out new growth I can take clones four off each variety, keeping the best three to veg into a super-crop. I'll let the best plant of each of this crop go back through the veg and bud, knowing that what I will likely get will be more hash material then smoking meds. I will also be adding in two more strains - a local friends version of Blue Dream and an Afghan Kush.
The idea is to kick start into a four month rotation, starting new plants every month, with two stages in bud and two stages of veg at all times. That way can harvest six super-cropped plants every month, at hopefully at least a 1/2 lb apiece. I may end up eventually shifting the numbers around so that I have alternating harvests of two plants each of three strains, then two plants each of the other three strains.
I'll post again tomorrow, with pics of the last two strains hanging. Then again on Tuesday when I take the rest. I'll also post along the way with pics as I do my first ever reversion from flower back to veg, and through taking my clones.
This journal will continue on through establishing the four month rotation, so I have one place to track my mistakes, goof ups, experiments, and hopefully some victories on the way to learning how to get the best quality and quantity on a consistent basis.

Well the trichomes shifted faster than I expected on the Jack and the Dairy, so I took their tops this morning. I was a little disappointed by the yield, but there is more to be had :cheer:

DSC013354.JPG
DSC013363.JPG
DSC013375.JPG
DSC013404.JPG
DSC013424.JPG
DSC013411.JPG

I expect the lower buds will be ready by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom