Sour Sunset Flowered Already - Now To Reveg

Ravenplume

Well, my first major development for 2023 just happened. Only back on 2022-11-19, I had started my one single Sour Sunset seed that was an opportunity seed found in a bag of bud from the dispensary. It sprouted on 11-22, and was planted in a styro cup on 11-24.

Well, approximately 2 months later, it has four nice looking levels of fan leaves, and a crown of pollen sacs. Yep, it flowered already, and is a boy. Not certain what caused the early flowering.
Sour Sunset Lite - Flowered-0.JPG

However, despite this turn of events, his story does not end here. He will be used to knock up one of my Wildling-2019 girls I am sure to have this year, and a Birthday Cake Lite as well, making all new Wildlings. I am also wanting to reveg him of course, then upgrade him to a modest sized flower pot to keep him an indoor house plant at least for the year, if not longer. So, I have him under a CFL lamp on the desk in my office, where he will be kept 24/7 until he is revegged. Should I go ahead and harvest his crown of pollen sacs already, or should they stay in place a week or two to mature?

Also, how will I be able to tell when the revegging is complete anyway, and is this lighting sufficient to do the job?
Sour Sunset Lite - Flowered-1.JPG

Well, my first major development for 2023 just happened. Only back on 2022-11-19, I had started my one single Sour Sunset seed that was an opportunity seed found in a bag of bud from the dispensary. It sprouted on 11-22, and was planted in a styro cup on 11-24.

Well, approximately 2 months later, it has four nice looking levels of fan leaves, and a crown of pollen sacs. Yep, it flowered already, and is a boy. Not certain what caused the early flowering.
Sour Sunset Lite - Flowered-0.JPG

However, despite this turn of events, his story does not end here. He will be used to knock up one of my Wildling-2019 girls I am sure to have this year, and a Birthday Cake Lite as well, making all new Wildlings. I am also wanting to reveg him of course, then upgrade him to a modest sized flower pot to keep him an indoor house plant at least for the year, if not longer. So, I have him under a CFL lamp on the desk in my office, where he will be kept 24/7 until he is revegged. Should I go ahead and harvest his crown of pollen sacs already, or should they stay in place a week or two to mature?

Also, how will I be able to tell when the revegging is complete anyway, and is this lighting sufficient to do the job?
Sour Sunset Lite - Flowered-1.JPG
Good luck :thumb:
Have a nice weekend my friend.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

What’s up Ravenplume?

yes reveg is slow, the first sign is plant will begin to produce single bladed fan leaves up top. Then several weeks later it will begin to add 3 bladed fan leaves. After even more time elapses the plant will finally begin to push out 5 bladed fan leaves and then resume growing normally from there. So the 5 bladed fans indicate the reveg is complete

most any light is sufficient to induce a reveg however that male is already very leggy from not enough light.

once one pollen sac opens the others will slowly begin to follow suit over the next week or so

hope this helps and best of luck!!!

Thanks so much. Yeah, everything is always leggy this time of year, due to everything just huddling under CFLs and other Floro lights or reaching for the nearest window. Hopefully over the course of the next month, we will have several suitable spots set up with proper lights for more efficient winter/spring growing and even get some plants upgraded to larger containers including a couple 5 gallon buckets, though the bucketings will probably be around mid March when there will be plenty times the subjects can be moved out back for the day for natural sunlight.

Guess it is time to open a few genuine journals here for 2023 at last (plenty material hand written, but nothing digital yet). Guess I should shut down lat year's journals as well soon, with a final report on how everything went.

So, for the pollen sacs, I should let them stay on the plant for now then? Was hoping that they could just be snipped and put in a baggie with a d-packet to continue maturing "offline", so to speak. But if they need to stay on a bit longer, so be it.

Raven I’ve read up on the process and collected only 1 time myself… but it’s been a while and I’m rusty as crap on that anyway.

I know many use just a few grains of rice, needs to be kept dark etc but might need to dry before bagging and the desiccant pack might be too much to early- so that’s a Big IDK on my part.

I’d feel much better if our friend Mr. @Bill284 dropped fresh intel

I'll just keep him "uncut" for now. Shouldn't be any harm in letting the pollen sacs remain for a while. In fact, I may make him the first in a new project series, called POCH (POllen CHuckers); considering I have one of my 2019 Wildling boys from last year still happily lingering in a flower pot (companioned with a morning glory and a melting sugar pea) on my nightstand, and it looks like months later, he is still producing pollen sacs (guessing his reveg didn't take, or it did and he then flowered again. Definitely putting him and this one into a new journal together soon, the more I think it over), after I close out last year's journals.

Going to be a busy journaling year for weed and other stuff I am growing...going to be a big year for squashes and assorted nightshade veggies as well...

I may even get my Voodoo Botany and Noobs Helping Noobs project finally going this year as well. Who knows?

OK, found the post, the first thing I'd do is save up for some stronger lights, unfortunately that plant is really small for almost 8 weeks. Sunlight this time of year in the northern hemisphere is short duration and weak. It might re-veg, it might not. In my experience sometimes a small plant will re-veg, other times it doesn't, and just fades away. Best of luck!

Thanks so much. Yeah, everything is always leggy this time of year, due to everything just huddling under CFLs and other Floro lights or reaching for the nearest window. Hopefully over the course of the next month, we will have several suitable spots set up with proper lights for more efficient winter/spring growing and even get some plants upgraded to larger containers including a couple 5 gallon buckets, though the bucketings will probably be around mid March when there will be plenty times the subjects can be moved out back for the day for natural sunlight.

Guess it is time to open a few genuine journals here for 2023 at last (plenty material hand written, but nothing digital yet). Guess I should shut down lat year's journals as well soon, with a final report on how everything went.

So, for the pollen sacs, I should let them stay on the plant for now then? Was hoping that they could just be snipped and put in a baggie with a d-packet to continue maturing "offline", so to speak. But if they need to stay on a bit longer, so be it.

Sorry I didn't answer your questions earlier.
Hey @013 :ciao:
Hope you are both having a nice weekend.
Once you start revegging him the pollen sacs are done.
What ever stage they are at they will not go past that stage once you initiate veg.
If there is pollen in them you can save it.
When he sits in the dark he builds up a hormone inside telling the growth process to switch to fall, flower mode.
Without 12 hrs of uninterrupted production of this hormone she reverts back to veg.
No flowering parts mature past that point.
He will grow single blade leaves for 3 weeks before he starts normal veg growth.
Then he will start growing normal leaves.
Hope that helps.
Take care.

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Should I go ahead and harvest his crown of pollen sacs already, or should they stay in place a week or two to mature?
They are male flowers and will not produce pollen until they finish maturing. Just seeing the small "ball" does not mean that they are ready. You will have to wait until each "ball"opens up and the "banana" shaped parts start to show. Then wait some more, probably just a few days and each banana will start to turn yellow. Then the next step is that small white parts start to show and these are the actual flower part that produces the pollen. That is as far along I have gotten with growing male plants because at that point I get rid of them.

However, reading up on it indicates that the grower will need many clusters of of these balls, bananas and male flower parts before there is enough to produce a cloud of pollen that the grower could actually see and be able to collect. Unlikely that the male "balls" in that photo will end up producing enough for your project. I am 'hazarding a guess' that it will take about 5 or 6 handfuls of mature male flowers to get a mounded tablespoon of pollen.

Interesting bit of info I picked up while looking for info for you is that 30% of the pollen is not viable and will not produce a seed.

Yep, it flowered already, and is a boy. Not certain what caused the early flowering.
It might have flowered because the single Sour Sunset seed came from an auto-flower plant. The timing is about right at 8 weeks considering the plant's overall condition. Or, it is from a photo-period and the plant responded to the low light conditions from the bulb in the lamp and what might have come through any nearby windows.

For more information on male flowers and collecting pollen use the key words:
marijuana male flowers pollen
in a web search using google or your favorite search engine.

Those are the keywords I used and one of the links that looked interesting was from Royal Queen Seeds, one of the sponsors. The link is below:
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/us/blog-cannabis-pollen-when-why-and-how-to-use-it-n1442

The male is stretched and starving, he’s not getting fed and it’s not about nutes either.

What is food for a plant? Photons or light is their main grub… yes sir obviously you gotta have all the other essentials in balance too…. grow media, nutes, water and enviro

other part is you want to collect pollen from a super healthy dude… when they are young or weak their pollen may not even be viable in the first place.

when tree roots are exposed to the sun they have ability to build a protective layer of bark… weed roots on the other hand hate exposure to light. In white or translucent containers the weed roots can’t grow out to the edges, it’s called light pruning. Some use clear solo cups to check on seedling or clone roots but then use a darker solo cup as lightproof sleeve.. don’t forget about holes for drainage or air flow either for sleeve cup. Soil mix looks heavy like it needs more perlite or aeration & bark mulched bark fines or potting soil. It helps to put cup on grate above drip pan for air flow underneath, there’s no air flow thru cup of soil sitting in a bowl. Also in such small container as a cup, a big popsickle stick counts as uncomposted wood which ties up your nitrogen.

Dollar store cookie drying sheets are cheap you can bend & cut them. If you pop globe off a cheapie household led you can get better performance than CFL out of a desk lamp for seedlings & clones.

All right man, not trying to sound harsh or like I know it all cuz I’m still green as a gourd!! I hope you get little ones on track!

Like my other subjects, Rigel is effectively in a "holding pattern" for now as we make better preparations for additional indoor work. The initial foliage is actually looking pretty healthy for now, and I am still determining what type of planter he will get upgraded to as I still am going to try to make him a house plant.

Of course, if he is autoflower, then he is autoflower, and there would likely be nothing to be done to keep him around past his time, so keep him healthy and happy and hopefully eventually collect enough pollen to be useful. And if he is autoflower, would his pollen on one of my others, like say, one of the Bubblegums, would that give a good chance of making autoflower Bubblegums? Or is autoflowering a trait that comes from the X chromosome (like the calico gene for cats or the colorblindness gene in Humans, for example?)

Surprisingly, I was able to find the label for the container the Sour Sunset came in (had used it 2 years in a row as bud storage after the SS was gone). Was hoping to see some indicator as to whether or not it was AF, but can't find any info on the label one way or the other.

UID 1A401030000007D1000005405 (likely dispensary inventory number)
THC 24.14% CBD 0.07%
Cannabis Farm OLCC 020-1001669AC27

My best guess is that the Sour Sunset flower that got pollinated was not AF, but whatever pollinated her was instead, if Rigel here is an autoflower boy. I reckon if he recovers and goes back to being a house plant we will no that such was not the case.

The male is stretched and starving, he’s not getting fed and it’s not about nutes either.

What is food for a plant? Photons or light is their main grub… yes sir obviously you gotta have all the other essentials in balance too…. grow media, nutes, water and enviro

other part is you want to collect pollen from a super healthy dude… when they are young or weak their pollen may not even be viable in the first place.

All right man, not trying to sound harsh or like I know it all cuz I’m still green as a gourd!! I hope you get little ones on track!

It's all good, and he his starting to look healthier now, at least from the "waist" on up, so to speak.

Rigel-2023-01.JPG

Pretty sure the somewhat warmer temps and the lamp he has been hugging are helping. In fact, it looks like since I first posted about him, he has developed a couple additional nodes of pollen sacs. I am going to be starting a little grow journal for Rigel here, and see how he is faring end of year (first goal is for him to survive until 4/20; just because I like that sort of thing). He is an interesting little side project, for sure.

For the time being, he is only betrothed to a Bubblegum girl. Pretty certain all my BGs are going to be girls, considering how very few seeds I got off her, indicating perhaps "emergency self pollinated" Guess we will no for sure the first time a boy manifests among the BG seeds.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Did not manage to save any significant amount of pollen off him, and reveg did not happen. It was indeed highly likely he was an AF, which is a bummer, because his pollen may have been able to be used to make other AF hybrids.

Oh well, Sour Sunset journal is over and done with unless I find a source for more cheap Sour Sunset seeds.

Back
Top Bottom