Starting seeds in coco coir with perlite homemade no added nutrients

LIAB

I realize most people use some type of store bought coco plugs to start seedling, but I don't have access to that fancy stuff. I have been struggling with getting any real growth using my homemade median. I have been successful but my seedling grow very slow wasting time and most likely stunting them for life. What I have found is the need to use food to get them to grow. And I would just like some info from other growers on starting seeds in un amended coco coir. I have buffered my coco coir with cal mag from GH and I use GH trio floral series. I'm about to start some new seeds soon and hope someone would share their experience to help.

I feed a low dose from day one in coco.Coco has nothing for the young seeds roots those first leaves wont cut it alone in coco my friend. and Welcome

PS. tent to water the coco/pot before i put the seed in it with a low dose.

Thanks amigo! I use RO water that has 70 ppm to start with according to my tds. What number do you begin with ? I've been told on a fb group by one person 400 ppm including cal mag by one person . Most say don't add anything , but I know that won't work. What do you recomend?

Thanks amigo! I use RO water that has 70 ppm to start with according to my tds. What number do you begin with ? I've been told on a fb group by one person 400 ppm including cal mag by one person . Most say don't add anything , but I know that won't work. What do you recomend?
I have made my own jiffy pots in cardboard and I've also mixed my own coco/perlite mix. To my knowledge the only difference between the 2 is the stuff from hydro stores is already buffed/flushed and treated. I use to soak my bricks in tap water for a day, I just use a esky. Then drain from the bottom bung and then mix up a feed, I just use seasol for the 1st to weeks with my ppm at 1-125 and soak my mixed coco/perlite and and let that air out for another 24hrs to avoid any dampening off.
I still lean towards the store bought bags, bcuz they are cheap, 50lt bags go pretty far and they look good stacked in my grow room but it does save me some work buying rtu bags.

Just popped my 1st seeds and they seem to be doing good. I use great white powder in some coco from a previous grow and spray with water. So far looking good

300-400 ppm sounds perfect

Yes great white. Wonderful stuff. When my baby’s not seedling anymore bout 2 week I put in mid size pot. They are feeding then so I soak my bricks in a full strength veg solution. House and garden stuff I use. Sprinkle great white in transplant hole. Fat white roots out bottom 2 week max then repeat into forever home. Mine 30ltr geopots. Have fun. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom