Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Kudos T.S. you rock! At first I had no idea what you were talking about regarding car parts etc..until I GOOGLED her name and found MORE than enough negative information regarding shady biz practices . Even though the the site looks great and the penetrator looks awesome..hydro grow led will not be seeing any biz from me...I will look into the sponsers that are on this site.....Now that being said....

For a 5x5 grow tent which Led wattage would be the equivalent of 1000 watt hps bulb....From what info I have gathered 1000 w hps or equivilent would go a long way in helping produce big tight buds (providing nutes ,co2 etc work out)

Alvaro,
My space is a 4x4 tent. I'm really only taking up about 1/2 the space for plants. If I had a chiller I wouldnt need those cold water tubs and could easily do 4 tubs in the room. With that in mind, if I did 4 tubs for 16 plants total, I would probably use 2 x 600w pro blooms. The overlap would be about perfect and one would be too small.

I'll probably post new pics tomorrow. I think they'll be pretty nice. Did a res change on one tub yesterday and will do another shortly.

do you know the apollo led grow light,the newest light,and it is uniqueness,The Unique safe voltage products in the world.have CE and Rosh Certificater.3years warranty.

Was a pleasure to meet you. Have a nice life!

Kudos T.S. you rock! At first I had no idea what you were talking about regarding car parts etc..until I GOOGLED her name and found MORE than enough negative information regarding shady biz practices . Even though the the site looks great and the penetrator looks awesome..hydro grow led will not be seeing any biz from me...I will look into the sponsers that are on this site.....Now that being said....

For a 5x5 grow tent which Led wattage would be the equivalent of 1000 watt hps bulb....From what info I have gathered 1000 w hps or equivilent would go a long way in helping produce big tight buds (providing nutes ,co2 etc work out)
In A 5X5 I would go no less than 800 watts, probably consider four of the 200w DS from Advanced or similar lights. Although I would most likely opt for more like 2 of the 600s. Yes I know that is more than the 1,000 you're replacing, but it will rock your tent and not require a huge amount of cooling. Not to mention the quality of the meds. I have a single 800 in a 4x4 tent and it's doing awesome, but four of the 200s would actually be better (because of the "3rd off" effect and spread out coverage).

@TS,
Thanks for the response on shim, I should have a cut/paste response sent out to people that ask. I must have sent 20 PMs about that company in the past few months.

... Shim seems to have angered a number of people back when shim...

LMFAO... I can't stop laughing. The shim comment gets me every time. I honestly don't think the quality of the product is as much of an issue as the quality of service (or lack there of). Shim's business practices is what has cost that company a large amount of income.

Two 200w vs one 600w Advanced LED

Hey Stevehman & CO,

My first post, wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write this, great info. I was hoping I could get some more advice from ya.

I'm looking to cover six plants in a 4x4 tent with the Diamond series lights from Advanced LED Lights and have been kicking around the idea of two 200w vs one 600w light.

From what I can figure:

Two-200w unit pros:
1) LESS heat? If so, how much? Heat is a MAJOR concern for me considering the climate I live in and the location of the tent.
2) Cheaper to buy two 200-watters than one 600w unit
3) More coverage with two 200w units than one 600w DS200 Total Coverage: 3ft x 3.5ft Core Coverage: 2.5ft x 3ft times two lights = 6x7 total and 5x6 core
4) If one light fails, I still have one to hobble along on.

Two-200w unit cons:
1) Need to hang/support two lights (no big deal)
3) Less light = less yield?

Two 200's actually put out less light than one 600w unit so, there will be LESS heat than with one 600w I'm thinking?
If so, how much less?

One-600w unit pros:
1) Only have to hang/support one light
2) More light = more yield?

One-600w unit cons:
1) MORE heat? How much more?
2) Higher cost than two 200w units
3) One point of failure
4) Less coverage - DS600 Total Coverage: 3.5ft x 4.5ft Core Coverage: 3ft x 4ft

So in short..

Two 200w = $305 cheaper, more coverage but less light so less yield and less heat.
One 600w = $305 more, less coverage and more light so more yield and more heat.

?

There's probably little reason to go with the older "Extreme Flower" units now that the Diamond series is out yes?

Sorry if I'm over-analyzing this but to me, it seems pretty split. Am I missing anything here? I'd really appreciate your take on my pros-cons and any suggestions you have as I need to get the ball rolling, thanks! :thanks:

Hey Stevehman & CO,

My first post, wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write this, great info. I was hoping I could get some more advice from ya.

I'm looking to cover six plants in a 4x4 tent with the Diamond series lights from Advanced LED Lights and have been kicking around the idea of two 200w vs one 600w light.

From what I can figure:

Two-200w unit pros:
1) LESS heat? If so, how much? Heat is a MAJOR concern for me considering the climate I live in and the location of the tent.
2) Cheaper to buy two 200-watters than one 600w unit
3) More coverage with two 200w units than one 600w DS200 Total Coverage: 3ft x 3.5ft Core Coverage: 2.5ft x 3ft times two lights = 6x7 total and 5x6 core
4) If one light fails, I still have one to hobble along on.

Two-200w unit cons:
1) Need to hang/support two lights (no big deal)
3) Less light = less yield?

Two 200's actually put out less light than one 600w unit so, there will be LESS heat than with one 600w I'm thinking?
If so, how much less?

One-600w unit pros:
1) Only have to hang/support one light
2) More light = more yield?

One-600w unit cons:
1) MORE heat? How much more?
2) Higher cost than two 200w units
3) One point of failure
4) Less coverage - DS600 Total Coverage: 3.5ft x 4.5ft Core Coverage: 3ft x 4ft

So in short..

Two 200w = $305 cheaper, more coverage but less light so less yield and less heat.
One 600w = $305 more, less coverage and more light so more yield and more heat.

?

There's probably little reason to go with the older "Extreme Flower" units now that the Diamond series is out yes?

Sorry if I'm over-analyzing this but to me, it seems pretty split. Am I missing anything here? I'd really appreciate your take on my pros-cons and any suggestions you have as I need to get the ball rolling, thanks! :thanks:

Why not two of the 300's that would be my preference. I am going to replace my 800 with either four 200's or three 300's or two 400's. There is a thing called the "3rd off effect" that basically gives you the advantage of a third light in the space that overlaps between the two. I have talked with the guys at Advanced and they agree more smaller lights are better than one large unit. The only reason to go with a 600 or an 800 is if you have a large tent or room that you can put multiple units.

I have the 800 in a 4x4 and think the "hot setup" for that space is really four of the 200's, it would give an even coverage and be perfect for a full-tent SCROG grow.

Which ever ones you choose, let me know and send me a link to your journal if you start one.

Why not two of the 300's that would be my preference. I am going to replace my 800 with either four 200's or three 300's or two 400's. There is a thing called the "3rd off effect" that basically gives you the advantage of a third light in the space that overlaps between the two. I have talked with the guys at Advanced and they agree more smaller lights are better than one large unit. The only reason to go with a 600 or an 800 is if you have a large tent or room that you can put multiple units.

I have the 800 in a 4x4 and think the "hot setup" for that space is really four of the 200's, it would give an even coverage and be perfect for a full-tent SCROG grow.

Which ever ones you choose, let me know and send me a link to your journal if you start one.

Thanks much, that IS a little more than I was looking to spend but I'm sure they will really perform. What about the heat from two of those, any guesses? That really is my concern even over the price.

Don't worry about the heat, they stay very cool. They have large quiet fans and the guys at Advanced do what they can to keep the heat low (like not overdriving the chips).

I wouldn't go less than 600 watts light in that space. If you can swing pair of 300s you'll be good. I think the 200 is great for a 2x2 area (larger actually, but great for a 2x2), I base my recommendations off of that number. You could get by with a pair of 200s, and then buy two more after the first or second grow. They will pay for themselves quickly. Mention my journal and they should hook you up with free shipping. That will save a few bucks there.

Panic,

I have a 4x4 tent. I live in the desert with household AC set to 78-79. I used a 8" 250 cfm duct fan from lowes as an exhaust for about $30 installed in upper 8"vent (I use 600w growstealth led). My room temps run between 81-90f depending on AC cycles, and room tent is in being fully closed or not. It doesnt hit 90 often. But I have found (still in veg) cracking side vents partially and room door open helps tons. I'm on 24/7 light in veg so I dont worry about light leak.

When I go 12/12 I have one more fan to add to move air in tent. I'll then more than likely totally close tent for light leaks and leave room door cracked (again, tent totally closed) for ambient circulation.

hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Don't worry about the heat, they stay very cool. They have large quiet fans and the guys at Advanced do what they can to keep the heat low (like not overdriving the chips).

I wouldn't go less than 600 watts light in that space. If you can swing pair of 300s you'll be good. I think the 200 is great for a 2x2 area (larger actually, but great for a 2x2), I base my recommendations off of that number. You could get by with a pair of 200s, and then buy two more after the first or second grow. They will pay for themselves quickly. Mention my journal and they should hook you up with free shipping. That will save a few bucks there.

Thanks man, exactly the advise I was looking for. :thanks:

Panic,

I have a 4x4 tent. I live in the desert with household AC set to 78-79. I used a 8" 250 cfm duct fan from lowes as an exhaust for about $30 installed in upper 8"vent (I use 600w growstealth led). My room temps run between 81-90f depending on AC cycles, and room tent is in being fully closed or not. It doesnt hit 90 often. But I have found (still in veg) cracking side vents partially and room door open helps tons. I'm on 24/7 light in veg so I dont worry about light leak.

When I go 12/12 I have one more fan to add to move air in tent. I'll then more than likely totally close tent for light leaks and leave room door cracked (again, tent totally closed) for ambient circulation.

hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Bassman59, thanks buddy! :) :thanks:

@SteveHman, I seem to remember you posting some specs/dimensions of the Diamond Series lights in a thread around here but I can't find it (I should have put them in my notes.) Their site has some specs but not as detailed as you posted if I'm remembering correctly. Unless it was all a dream! Would you mind re-upping that info if you have it? Thanks!

@SteveHman, I seem to remember you posting some specs/dimensions of the Diamond Series lights in a thread around here but I can't find it (I should have put them in my notes.) Their site has some specs but not as detailed as you posted if I'm remembering correctly. Unless it was all a dream! Would you mind re-upping that info if you have it? Thanks!

panic,
here it is. I had to go search through Grow 4.0 to dig it up (post #356 on page 24, I cut/pasted so formatting didn't carry over):

100w Diamond Series -$279200w Diamond Series - $495300w Diamond Series - $695
Coverage: 1.5' x 2.5' Coverage: 2' x 3' Coverage: 3' x 3'
Dimensions: 18.5"L x 5"W x 3"H Dimensions: 19"L x 8"W x 3"H Dimensions: 19.5"L x 12"W x 3"H

400w Diamond Series -$895 600w Diamond Series - $1295 800w Diamond Series -$1595
Coverage: 2' x 4' Coverage: 3' x 4' Coverage: 3' x 4'
Dimensions: 35"L x 8"W x 3"H Dimensions: 35"L x 12"W x 3"H Dimensions: 36"Lx15"W x 3"H

These are the pre-launch prices. They will go up when they launch on their site. They sent and email to all of their existing customers and newsletter subscribers. These prices are actually lower than the Extreme Flower series. (at least they are until launch date).

they have launched, prices have changed. I have 1 300w diamond series they are really nice so nice i already ordered a second Kyle is great to work with. I got them based on Stevehmans grow journals. I have not even started a grow yet just getting things together and after tons of reading i think i made the right decision. Warning do not look into the lights!!!!!!!

grayj213,
Welcome to 420. Make sure to make your way over to the introduce yourself thread.

You aren't kidding about these LEDs, do not look directly into them, in fact you may want to wear sunglasses while working in the tent with the lights on. The first few times I used them, my color vision was all messed up, saw a bunch of green. I am used to them now, I think your brain adapts to the color shift and does some on the fly white balance adjustments.

Best of luck on your grow and if you decide to journal it please send me a link!

i will, i have been reading like crazy as you can see this is my second post, there is so much info to digest its like school all over again. Never too old to learn. the grow journals are like gold. with all the info here i dont see how i can mess up.
u guys are great.

i will, i have been reading like crazy as you can see this is my second post, there is so much info to digest its like school all over again. Never too old to learn. the grow journals are like gold. with all the info here i dont see how i can mess up.
u guys are great.

Welcome Gray!

I too have been reading tons and started reading a good month before I ever ordered my first part. I can't tell you how many countless hours and note taking were involved.

Yet it's still possible to screw up or just miss something.

My first screwup was too much water feed in my feed tubes on seedlings after germination on my dwc setup.

My 2nd screwup was water temps being too high.

My 3rd screwup was using straight RO water and no cal-mag because I believed information that was only partially correct.

And now I'm doing an emergency fix on a possible pythium/root rot problem.

Yet through it all, light has not been an issue. I use GrowStealth 600w LED (a sponsor here) and it seems to be doing it's job just fine. I feel confident that if you use either GrowStealth or Advanced for LED's, light wont be an issue.

So keep reading, take lots of notes, plaster charts on wall, and ask questions! No questions are dumb. This community is very willing to freely offer assistance.

Back
Top Bottom