Stressing the cannabis plant intentionally to obtain the desired quantity and quality

Your idea about turning the grow container 90 degrees is interesting. I see two initial problems. 1. You'd probably need something to cap off the soil so when it is 90 degrees it doesn't dump out of the container. 2. Roots always grow towards the center of the Earth or towards gravity. The turning of the plant container may direct the roots strangely but who knows, it could somehow be beneficial if used correctly.
I've thought about that, the container would need have a cover, and to be shaped somewhat like a boot [or triangle] with a [removable] back. Tipping it on edge would allow the taproot to grow down into the "toe" - how much root growth is there after the plant is flowering?

I have found after many experiments and later reading more about auxins and gibberellins the two mayor hormones controling stem elongation, growth, and direction/orientation of the plant in accordance with the light source, that it will always find its way to the light. Any technique will lead you to the same effect on the plant it will reajust itself to meet the light source.

The bending technique I use makes the plant shift from vertical stance to a 90 degree and sometimes more 120 degrees with the vector in direction of the gravity force so going down. But the plant takes no longer than 48 hrs to redirect itself and continue to grow vertical. This is called gravitropism.
Of course, and growing toward the light is called phototropism, biology 101.

If you put a bamboo plant on a rotating pedestal with a side light source, or spin it in a horizontal plane, it will grow into a spiral.

I have used reptile lights to add UV during flowering. I have no direct side by side comparison but I felt the buds I produced with UV that was added for a few hours a day for the last few weeks really helped bump up the flavor and effects. It could've been psychosomatic however. I am planning on getting a UV LED light bar for my next grow along with a far red LED to do what you have done with the pre-dark period red conditioning. Everybody loves a sunset why not cannabis too?
White fluorescent tubes have a relatively high proportion of UV which is why they sometimes seem bluish, but what about putting blacklights into a grow room?

That's pretty much all UV...

If, by "reptile lights" you mean black lights then, sorry, out of place comment.

Just beware, long term exposure to black light is very bad for your eyes.

I only LST to try an keep an even canopy indoor. Currently I have an Auto that I'm sure will climb above 5 ft+. So she needed training..
Screenshot_20220629-123547.png

White fluorescent tubes have a relatively high proportion of UV which is why they sometimes seem bluish, but what about putting blacklights into a grow room?

That's pretty much all UV...

If, by "reptile lights" you mean black lights then, sorry, out of place comment.

Just beware, long term exposure to black light is very bad for your eyes.

UV lights and black lights are a bit different. UV reptile lights can contain both UVA and UVB. Black lights are intended for certain purposes usually in entertainment and contain only UVA.
100% agreed on eye protection. I am serious about protecting my eyes. I go outside, sunglasses go on. I kept a pair of polarized sunglasses which have high UV protection hanging on the door. Eye protection should be worn around all other HID lamps as well.

UV lights and black lights are a bit different. UV reptile lights can contain both UVA and UVB. Black lights are intended for certain purposes usually in entertainment and contain only UVA.
Thanks for explaining, I am an electrician by trade, have a very general knowledge, often lacking in specifics.

Thanks for explaining, I am an electrician by trade, have a very general knowledge, often lacking in specifics.

No worries and thanks for not getting offended that I filled in some gaps. There have been studies that prove adding UV can increase terpene content. It doesn't change or add terpenes it just kind of bumps up what is already there. The theory is that cannabis produces the terpenes as a defense mechanism to protect itself from those damaging rays. This is why I classify adding UV as a stressor. If you have some time check this out:

This Migro channel does some very interesting experiments.

Thanks again, I try not to get offended mostly. I reckon that getting offended gets in the way of learning.

Arrogance and learning don't go too well together if you ask me.

Even the village idiot has a lesson to teach - if the student is willing to learn.

Thanks again, I try not to get offended mostly. I reckon that getting offended gets in the way of learning.

Arrogance and learning don't go too well together if you ask me.

Even the village idiot has a lesson to teach - if the student is willing to learn.

It's funny how easily some people get offended these days just by disagreeing with them and offering your own beliefs. I now block these types of sensitive individuals especially when they make wild assumptions and attempt veiled insults.

I've thought about that, the container would need have a cover, and to be shaped somewhat like a boot [or triangle] with a [removable] back. Tipping it on edge would allow the taproot to grow down into the "toe" - how much root growth is there after the plant is flowering?

If you ever try that boot idea please post some pics.

My mentor taught me to drought stress in week 7 of flower to increase resin production. Showed me a published paper from some mid western uni where they had a 50% increase(7%-14%) in THC. Wish I could find that paper.

Does anyone ever tip the grow medium through 90 degrees, you could call it NST...maybe not quite, but close I think. I had the idea from an article I read about vertical strawberry cultivation.

Let the girl grow normally [in a container specially designed for the purpose] and then when she reaches the right stage, flip the medium through 90, attach the main cola to a dowel stick [better done from the time it's a small shoot] to keep it in place and trim accordingly.
Back in the ninety's used to grow plants 2 feet tall , no topping or training, than on flip, plant the root ball sideways . tie plants down with fishing weights , bolts or what ever. was the early version of SOG
Stick about 16 in a 4x4

My mentor taught me to drought stress in week 7 of flower to increase resin production. Showed me a published paper from some mid western uni where they had a 50% increase(7%-14%) in THC. Wish I could find that paper.
I am a firm believer in drought stressing during flowering. It seems counter-intuitive and scary seeing your entire plant wilt. But it is spectacular seeing what the plant does after watering it again. They seem to come back stronger and cover themselves in a crystal blanket..

Back in the ninety's used to grow plants 2 feet tall , no topping or training, than on flip, plant the root ball sideways . tie plants down with fishing weights , bolts or what ever. was the early version of SOG
Stick about 16 in a 4x4
This is super interesting! I'd love to see some pics if you have any. It is amazing how cannabis reacts to the punishment we put them through. Back in the 90's, before LST was a thing, I used to jam rocks in between the main stem and branches to push them down allowing more light to penetrate into lower growth. Now we tie them down with wires, so space age!

Back
Top Bottom