Stressing the cannabis plant intentionally to obtain the desired quantity and quality

No like dunking them in a water and peroxide solution to clean off the dust and critters after 6 months of being outside.

Screenshot_20220719-135325_Chrome.jpg
What does the H2O2, Lemon juice and baking soda do exactly?

From my understanding they help to scrub any loose fluff, dirt, dust etc as well as combat any mold and mildew. When you see the crap that accumulates after the dunking - you will be glad you did. Also if you had sprayed any products on your plants it will get rid of any of that residue. Oh Yes, did I mention aphids, dead or alive!!! Them too!! :thedoubletake:

From my understanding they help to scrub any loose fluff, dirt, dust etc as well as combat any mold and mildew. When you see the crap that accumulates after the dunking - you will be glad you did. Also if you had sprayed any products on your plants it will get rid of any of that residue. Oh Yes, did I mention aphids, dead or alive!!! Them too!! :thedoubletake:
Thanks for the encouragement. I've seen this in years past and now I'm ready to try it myself. The experiments so far this year have all been good I just needed a 👍.

H2O2 is a cleaning agent , lemon juice is an acid (citric acid ) baking soda is an alkali (base )
when you mix a base with an acid you get a reaction in this case a fizz ( scrubbing bubbles )

Hello all! I always dunk my outdoor spears in H²O² and lemon juice laced water. I live in an arid climate so even at harvest time the extra moisture is gone in a flash.
On LST: Outdoors i use plastic grid netting and sometimes resort to supercropping (like with the Thai x Jamaican I've got out there this year), and sometimes ties of one kind or another. I use coco indoors. I top mine once and after up potting to a 3gal fiber pot, spread all branches horizontal with pipe cleaners and clips. When moved to the flower tent and the bungee net, it's ready to be spread as wide as I can. You see the results:
20220821_102642.jpg

My goal is to have a rectangular cube come out at harvest.
Stay stoneder!

Greetings curious cannabis cultivators. I'd like to talk to you about your theories, beliefs and practices on both LST (Low Stress Training) and HST (High Stress Training).

Low Stress Training
The selective pruning and bending of branches known as low stress training has been done to cannabis and other plants for 1000's of years. As you browse grow journals here on 420magazine you'll notice how popular it is and for good reason. Many of us on here and around the world have put it into practice and reaped its rewards. It is surprisingly gratifying to become one with your plants and essentially teach them exactly how you want them to grow. It's like a moonlit magical dance with nature where you have the lead. The science and theories behind this technique are fascinating. By removing lower branches that grow slower you can redirect the plants energy to the tops to maximize the quality. Most of us cannabis enthusiasts who produce what we personally enjoy and consume will always prefer quality over quantity. Many large scale growers are now adopting this practice to create a name for themselves within the industry.

I found an amazing article on greenhousegrower dot com how-cannabis-training-and-pruning-can-affect-quality
"Bending plants to change the apical orientation of shoots can result in significant changes to plant form without slowing development or stressing the plant. Due to the labor required to bend and secure branches, this technique is usually applied to small plants, where radical structural changes can result from simply bending a plant, and securing a selected fan leaf to its container with a clothespin.

Well-rooted plants can quickly recover from more intensive forms of training including topping and heavy pruning. Topping a plant involves removing the shoot apex. This intervention results in accelerated lateral branching and suppressed root development due to reduced auxin translocation to lower plant parts and the resultant shift in hormone ratios.

Canopy Management Tips

While the ideal plant structure for specific production environments will vary, similar requirements are indicated for most CEA systems. Cannabis is a high fluence crop, and light penetration to all flowering sites is required for production of quality inflorescences. Cannabis is susceptible to fungal pathogens, and lower plant parts should be removed to enable airflow through the crop. The promotion of airflow serves to limit microclimates, including the leaf boundary area, to the benefit of photosynthetic efficiency.

When plants arrive at their flowering location, their form should be well-established through previous vegetative development. Intensive training at the final location is inefficient due to the large relative footprint of flowering areas, and the inherent slowing of plant development that intensive training entails. Apical dominance should be distributed between four and eight main branches at similar heights prior to moving to flowering areas.

Established plants can be encouraged to form an even canopy through branch positioning within the trellis, supercropping, and pruning of errant parts. Once flowering has been induced, light penetration into the canopy is enabled by the selective removal of upper fan leaves. Senescent leaves are removed as they occur to limit opportunities for saprophyte establishment and to benefit airflow.

The efficient production of any crop requires cultural systems that evolve to meet specific challenges. An understanding of the physiological processes underlying these activities provides opportunities for cultivators to establish baseline systems and to innovate as required."

What is your favorite way to shape your plants using LST? I love cropping then bending the top selected branches down to create a short bushy plant with an even canopy. It's amazing how creative some people can get with this!

High Stress Training
This is where we delve inside cannabis and ponder the inner biology and chemical processes that manufacture all of those lovely cannabinoids and terpenes. We are aware that cannabis produces THC and the resinous trichomes as a defense mechanism for numerous reasons. The defense mechanism helps deter grazing herbivores from munching on the tasty salad. It can help protect from some insects and other pests. The bulbous resin glands also help protect cannabis from the harsh UV rays of the sun especially during drought periods. It has been studied that the resin glands like little crystal balls can redirect the harmful portions of light away from the leaves surface and protect it from getting scorched and drying out. Studies have shown that late flowering exposure to UVA and UVB can increase the amount of terpenes (flavor and pharmaceutical benefits) substantially.

Some cannabis cultivators have used the practice bending branches until they actually snap but leaving the stalk mostly intact to heal. Others have used the practice of shoving toothpicks through branches to intentionally wound a branch. The theory is that this level of wounding triggers the plants defense mechanism as if it knows it is being attacked and probably eaten increasing the trichome production. I have a theory that using something similar to a deer mouth, maybe a nut cracker and chewing lightly on the lower branches or crunching them enough to wound them will also trigger this defense mechanism.

During late flowering others have used the practice of simulating a drought. Withholding water from the plant causes it to increase trichome production to help protect the plant from the sun and drying out too much. The plant will deprioritize plant growth for resin production.

High Stress Training is the practice of hurting the plant and almost bringing it near death to cause it to protect itself.

What are some ways you have used HST to trick your plants into increasing potency?

We are aware that high grade cannabis is produced only from the female flower. LST and HST are ways to essentially punish and torture the plant. I think we should elevate ourselves and avoid jokes about physically harming the female version of this plant. I'll admit, I can enjoy dirty humor but I do believe we should avoid humor about hurting or punishing anyone. The plant is not a person with higher emotions but sometimes we can sure get emotionally attached to them.

Peace 420magazine fam!
Have you looked at uvb lights?

Hello all! I always dunk my outdoor spears in H²O² and lemon juice laced water. I live in an arid climate so even at harvest time the extra moisture is gone in a flash.
On LST: Outdoors i use plastic grid netting and sometimes resort to supercropping (like with the Thai x Jamaican I've got out there this year), and sometimes ties of one kind or another. I use coco indoors. I top mine once and after up potting to a 3gal fiber pot, spread all branches horizontal with pipe cleaners and clips. When moved to the flower tent and the bungee net, it's ready to be spread as wide as I can. You see the results:
20220821_102642.jpg

My goal is to have a rectangular cube come out at harvest.
Stay stoneder!
Nice and packed tight. Perty flowers

Lots and lots of information here;

Interesting info in these times of extreme drought and flooding. We experienced this in the u.s. this summer. Extreme heart and drought effected my tomato yield dramatically.

Greetings curious cannabis cultivators. I'd like to talk to you about your theories, beliefs and practices on both LST (Low Stress Training) and HST (High Stress Training).

Low Stress Training
The selective pruning and bending of branches known as low stress training has been done to cannabis and other plants for 1000's of years. As you browse grow journals here on 420magazine you'll notice how popular it is and for good reason. Many of us on here and around the world have put it into practice and reaped its rewards. It is surprisingly gratifying to become one with your plants and essentially teach them exactly how you want them to grow. It's like a moonlit magical dance with nature where you have the lead. The science and theories behind this technique are fascinating. By removing lower branches that grow slower you can redirect the plants energy to the tops to maximize the quality. Most of us cannabis enthusiasts who produce what we personally enjoy and consume will always prefer quality over quantity. Many large scale growers are now adopting this practice to create a name for themselves within the industry.

I found an amazing article on greenhousegrower dot com how-cannabis-training-and-pruning-can-affect-quality
"Bending plants to change the apical orientation of shoots can result in significant changes to plant form without slowing development or stressing the plant. Due to the labor required to bend and secure branches, this technique is usually applied to small plants, where radical structural changes can result from simply bending a plant, and securing a selected fan leaf to its container with a clothespin.

Well-rooted plants can quickly recover from more intensive forms of training including topping and heavy pruning. Topping a plant involves removing the shoot apex. This intervention results in accelerated lateral branching and suppressed root development due to reduced auxin translocation to lower plant parts and the resultant shift in hormone ratios.

Canopy Management Tips

While the ideal plant structure for specific production environments will vary, similar requirements are indicated for most CEA systems. Cannabis is a high fluence crop, and light penetration to all flowering sites is required for production of quality inflorescences. Cannabis is susceptible to fungal pathogens, and lower plant parts should be removed to enable airflow through the crop. The promotion of airflow serves to limit microclimates, including the leaf boundary area, to the benefit of photosynthetic efficiency.

When plants arrive at their flowering location, their form should be well-established through previous vegetative development. Intensive training at the final location is inefficient due to the large relative footprint of flowering areas, and the inherent slowing of plant development that intensive training entails. Apical dominance should be distributed between four and eight main branches at similar heights prior to moving to flowering areas.

Established plants can be encouraged to form an even canopy through branch positioning within the trellis, supercropping, and pruning of errant parts. Once flowering has been induced, light penetration into the canopy is enabled by the selective removal of upper fan leaves. Senescent leaves are removed as they occur to limit opportunities for saprophyte establishment and to benefit airflow.

The efficient production of any crop requires cultural systems that evolve to meet specific challenges. An understanding of the physiological processes underlying these activities provides opportunities for cultivators to establish baseline systems and to innovate as required."

What is your favorite way to shape your plants using LST? I love cropping then bending the top selected branches down to create a short bushy plant with an even canopy. It's amazing how creative some people can get with this!

High Stress Training
This is where we delve inside cannabis and ponder the inner biology and chemical processes that manufacture all of those lovely cannabinoids and terpenes. We are aware that cannabis produces THC and the resinous trichomes as a defense mechanism for numerous reasons. The defense mechanism helps deter grazing herbivores from munching on the tasty salad. It can help protect from some insects and other pests. The bulbous resin glands also help protect cannabis from the harsh UV rays of the sun especially during drought periods. It has been studied that the resin glands like little crystal balls can redirect the harmful portions of light away from the leaves surface and protect it from getting scorched and drying out. Studies have shown that late flowering exposure to UVA and UVB can increase the amount of terpenes (flavor and pharmaceutical benefits) substantially.

Some cannabis cultivators have used the practice bending branches until they actually snap but leaving the stalk mostly intact to heal. Others have used the practice of shoving toothpicks through branches to intentionally wound a branch. The theory is that this level of wounding triggers the plants defense mechanism as if it knows it is being attacked and probably eaten increasing the trichome production. I have a theory that using something similar to a deer mouth, maybe a nut cracker and chewing lightly on the lower branches or crunching them enough to wound them will also trigger this defense mechanism.

During late flowering others have used the practice of simulating a drought. Withholding water from the plant causes it to increase trichome production to help protect the plant from the sun and drying out too much. The plant will deprioritize plant growth for resin production.

High Stress Training is the practice of hurting the plant and almost bringing it near death to cause it to protect itself.

What are some ways you have used HST to trick your plants into increasing potency?

We are aware that high grade cannabis is produced only from the female flower. LST and HST are ways to essentially punish and torture the plant. I think we should elevate ourselves and avoid jokes about physically harming the female version of this plant. I'll admit, I can enjoy dirty humor but I do believe we should avoid humor about hurting or punishing anyone. The plant is not a person with higher emotions but sometimes we can sure get emotionally attached to them.

Peace 420magazine fam!
Cool article thank you . I’m a greenhouse hobby stash cultivator of Sweet Mary Jane . What works for me when we dance under the moonlight is 4’x4’ footprints in my 4’x4’ in ground planter boxes . To do this I use all techniques you mentioned . There’s improvised problem solving all along the way . I plant my clones in the spring and they look mighty lonesome all alone in that big garden box .when they are 2’ tall I will start bending the top of plant down and let the lower branches catch up . As I work on my canopy , tying this one down , topping this one that’s way ahead . I lay my branches flat until they reach the edges of the planter . Then allow vertical growth with everything tied down until the 2 week stretch hits ( happening rite now in Oregon ) that’s when I cut all the strings and let the plant stand up on its own so I can poke branches through a support netting that will carry them through flowering . High stress training happens accidentally rather than intentionally . However I have seen amazing results at the top of a branch that was broken almost completely off and ducky taped back on . I wound the main stalk on my sativa plants 2 weeks before harvest . I use a pocket knife and push it through the center of stalk above the soil . Give it a twist and put a crystal to keep the split open . This injury puts the trichomes production into overdrive and produces some great music to dance to

I have used reptile lights to add UV during flowering. I have no direct side by side comparison but I felt the buds I produced with UV that was added for a few hours a day for the last few weeks really helped bump up the flavor and effects.

A recent study concluded that UV does not increase yield, thc or terpenes. It decreased all of them a little.

Back
Top Bottom