SWICK Watering Systems: Letting The Plant Water Itself

Copied from my journal. 4th day running the pool swick.

Gotta say, I'm loving the swick so far. I had my doubts with the depth of the 45gal, but other than the top inch or so(which dries out without mulch), everything including the 45 gal is staying perfectly hydrated. There was no water left at the bottom of my pool when I finally got in from the yard after work. No problem, the perlite seems to hold enough moisture; I'm still not at risk for drying out my swick for a few days, then the plants have time after that before they really dry out. Seems like a great buffer so far. I'm not leaving town without knowing this works, and so far no reasons to believe it won't. Roots haven't even reached the res yet and I'm seeing great lateral growth and nice big leaves. Thai Stick and Chocolate Thai are looking great. Chocolate Thai has a great fragrance to get already. I'm stoked.

Woohoo :welldone::woohoo:

COorganics mentioned on a journal yesterday that he would need a reservoir measuring 2'x6'. Anyone have any interesting ideas on something that could meet those measurements? I figured toss it up for brainstorming.

Im SWICKing too! :high-five:

I put perlite in kitty litter pans, one for each 5 gallon smart pot. I did not have any weed cloth for lining the pans so I just put the perlite and the water directly in the pans. After I put the pots on the perlite, for some reason I just had to have the exposed parts of the perlite covered. I put plastic shopping bags on the narrow ends of the pan, just enough to cover the perlite, up to the bottom edge of the pot. Then I used a larger plastic shopping bag to cover the long edge of the pan. I only had to do one long side of each pan because I shifted the pot more to one side than the other. I do plan to get some weed cloth, but that will have to be for next time.

035178.jpg

Great post Sorenna.

Something to file away for the future: At the end of the season you can usually pick up weed blocker cloth at the dollar stores for pennies. It comes in handy for so many things you wouldn't believe. I used some to weave through the wrought iron railing on our balcony to gain a little privacy. It's still holding strong with no signs of damage or decay after three years. Strong, durable stuff.

watering, flood tables come in 2x4' , 2 x3' too

So one could put 2 of the 2x3' next to each other. Nice thought Zig.

Edit: It's weird seeing the new avatar. I'll get used to it.

I like the way you think. Hadn't considered that.

Sue this is awesome...a place for us all to nerd out about SWICK. I had no idea so many of you guys used SWICK. When I put mine together I'll be sure to share it on here. Sue, if I forget to post here I give you permission to swat at me until I do :)

Will do CC. Good to see you here. It surprised me too, how many SWICKS we had running already. I mean, I knew they were there, but I hadn't connected the dots until the other day. We've made an excellent beginning. It should spread quickly. I'm going to do my HB on a SWICK. Ziggy got in before me there. There are at least three more I believe, seriously considering the implementation. Can you blame them?

Exciting!!!

Will do CC. Good to see you here. It surprised me too, how many SWICKS we had running already. I mean, I knew they were there, but I hadn't connected the dots until the other day. We've made an excellent beginning. It should spread quickly. I'm going to do my HB on a SWICK. Ziggy got in before me there. There are at least three more I believe, seriously considering the implementation. Can you blame them?

Exciting!!!

I cannot blame them. I've had my totes sitting outside where it has been raining off and on for the past couple weeks...just seeing them constantly moist and the resultant vibrancy of the living mulch is inspiring. SWICK is the answer to replicating that. ooohhh its goona be a good one!

My observance after culling my Thai stick that was in the swick.

I was using a 3 gallon plastic pot sitting about an inch deep in perlite. This swick has emptied the res twice in 5 days, so moisture is obviously being wicked up as well as evaporated. The perlite has always stayed moist.

The bottom two and a half to three inches of soil in the plastic pot was over saturated. I won't be seating a pot like that again.

To clarify, the holes on the bottom of the plastic pot were surrounded by moist perlite. At its fullest, the water level was an inch below the pot, and that wasn't for long.

I'm not sure what to make of this, the plants in the smart pots are doing great.

To clarify, the holes on the bottom of the plastic pot were surrounded by moist perlite. At its fullest, the water level was an inch below the pot, and that wasn't for long.

I'm not sure what to make of this, the plants in the smart pots are doing great.

they have more air hitting the roots..

I think Ziggy may be on the mark here. The plastic pots don't breathe the way the fabric ones do. Your soil mix, organic or HB? You may need more aeration in the mix if using plastic pots.

Ziggy, do you think we should drill holes in the azalea pots for breathability on the SWICK?

Organic mix with an extra 30% or so aeration added in the form of lava rock and perlite.

I put a HB PGSC in a 1 gallon plastic right on top of the perlite. The roots were shooting out of the bottom when it was tiered on my 45 gal after 2 days. We shall see what happens now.

My guess is pushing it down and covering the holes consistently with moist perlite had the same effect as a pot sitting in water. Over saturation at the point of contact and a bit above.

Again, this pot never sat in water, and the water level in the swick never reached the pot. Just the perlite coming in contact with the bottom of the pot and covering the holes.

I wanted to observe what was going on inside my pot while I had a chance. Was culling this plant so I checked it out. Very little roots in the over saturated zone.

I think Ziggy may be on the mark here. The plastic pots don't breathe the way the fabric ones do. Your soil mix, organic or HB? You may need more aeration in the mix if using plastic pots.

Ziggy, do you think we should drill holes in the azalea pots for breathability on the SWICK?

IDK, they don't seem big/deep enough to necessitate doing that. They like the setup I created for them so far. :)

So how would you counteract this? I'm thinking the pot only need be in contact, not very deep at all. Just wiggled a bit to assure the contact has been made. The perlite wicks so beautifully and the small particle size should mean good contact is easily achieved.

I have one hard pot in a small SWICK, but the bottom is just a tiny bit into the perlite. It's working beautifully.

DrZiggy had some hard pots he drilled a mess of holes in to make them breathe. That might be an idea. I know I'm going to try it.

Back
Top Bottom