Tap root up or down?

When the tap root emerges from the seed straight downward, then when it pushes the seed hull up through the dirt, it's only pushing it in a fashion that makes it push down onto the rest of the plant. If it's upside down, the root goes up, then down, and as the seedling grows, it pulls the seed up out of the dirt in such a way that makes it more likely the seed hull will come off as it rises. Check out these pics to get a better idea of what i mean...

IMG_20160817_204546.jpg
IMG_20160817_204759.jpg
IMG_20160817_204518.jpg

Versus

IMG_20160817_204725.jpg

IMG_20160817_204616.jpg

Think about the shape of the seed as well. The bottom has much more mass. It's self-righting. When the seeds are in the ground, and water comes and looses it up, they "heave" and become lifted and shift their position. They are more likely to re-seat themselves with their "base" downward, and the point of the shell where the root emerges upward. This "heaving" action is also what helps scarify seed shells to help them imbibe more water too.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter either way, but there is a clear advantage to planting them in such a fashion that they will "pull" their seed hull up through the dirt, giving a greater chance the cotyledons will emerge from the dirt without the seed hull still attached. That's not a huge problem though, as 9 times out of 10, the new growth of the true leaves and spreading of the cotyledon will take the seed hulls off. But the problem is it may require more energy to do this than a seedling has, so that's why sometimes you'll have seedlings that need some extra assistance in removing the seed hull.

When the tap root emerges from the seed straight downward, then when it pushes the seed hull up through the dirt, it's only pushing it in a fashion that makes it push down onto the rest of the plant. If it's upside down, the root goes up, then down, and as the seedling grows, it pulls the seed up out of the dirt in such a way that makes it more likely the seed hull will come off as it rises. Check out these pics to get a better idea of what i mean...

IMG_20160817_204546.jpg
IMG_20160817_204759.jpg
IMG_20160817_204518.jpg

Versus

IMG_20160817_204725.jpg

IMG_20160817_204616.jpg

Think about the shape of the seed as well. The bottom has much more mass. It's self-righting. When the seeds are in the ground, and water comes and looses it up, they "heave" and become lifted and shift their position. They are more likely to re-seat themselves with their "base" downward, and the point of the shell where the root emerges upward. This "heaving" action is also what helps scarify seed shells to help them imbibe more water too.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter either way, but there is a clear advantage to planting them in such a fashion that they will "pull" their seed hull up through the dirt, giving a greater chance the cotyledons will emerge from the dirt without the seed hull still attached. That's not a huge problem though, as 9 times out of 10, the new growth of the true leaves and spreading of the cotyledon will take the seed hulls off. But the problem is it may require more energy to do this than a seedling has, so that's why sometimes you'll have seedlings that need some extra assistance in removing the seed hull.

I couldn't have explained better myself. I've had both ways work but I prefer the tap root up at a slight angle.

Did a little google research and found!!! No concensus whatsoever, just as many opinions saying tap root down as root up, most from marijuana growing sites (bro science) almost no info from scientific sites. Bottom line, I believe we're waaaay overthinking this. In nature seeds land in soil the way they land. They are adapted to grow from any position, roots have positive geotropism , they are genetically predisposed to grow downward, stems exhibit negative geotropism, they grow away from the ground. Really doesn't make any difference, at best, within a day or two they all grow the same.

The last time I relied on gravitropism to get the root growing down, the root shot directly up and out of my Rapid Rooter! I had to flip it over. So much for gravitropism. I'd planted pointy end up, like the Britannica article suggests.

I now plant them on their sides and hope the seed knows what it's doing! :)

The last time I relied on gravitropism to get the root growing down, the root shot directly up and out of my Rapid Rooter! I had to flip it over. So much for gravitropism. I'd planted pointy end up, like the Britannica article suggests.

I planted all mine root down this time and they all horseshoed around and ended up like are supposed to. Just remember pointy end down cause the seed is on the other end which in turn is where your leaves sprout. Poochapyropick 420. Rollme1

Perhaps it wasn't planted deep enough? U-turns aren't donuts, lol - they require a bit of space ahead of where you begin the operation.

Perhaps it wasn't planted deep enough? U-turns aren't donuts, lol - they require a bit of space ahead of where you begin the operation.
Hey TS, the Rapid Rooter has a hole that's about 1/4 inch deep and I loosely covered the hole with a small piece of RR. Perhaps you're right tho and I'll try again.

Im just so new to growing marijuana that I dont want to mess things up more so I want to be successful. The way I have been operating is I do a ton of research then follow the way I feel most of the successful growers are doing things, like I said consensus.

Sorry If I seemed contentious last night. I was just trying to be helpful, and was just regurgitating what I felt was the consensus on growing in coco(it is a very forgiving medium). I am trying to approach growing with a level of humility that comes unnaturally to me and I truly do appreciate everything that I am learning.
The graphic is interesting and gives much food for thought. With the root upward, pulling itself up may help it to shuck it's shell but I actually think that function is mostly done by the cotyledons as they fill out.

Personally, my experience is that the seeds sort themselves out, I tend to put them on the soil and water them in - the same way it would likely have happened (in nature) to all those seeds that "magically" sprouted under my bedroom window...

BUT, the caveat here, is that I am an ignoramus when it comes to pot plants so I may be waaaay off line !!!!

Im just so new to growing marijuana that I dont want to mess things up more so I want to be successful. The way I have been operating is I do a ton of research then follow the way I feel most of the successful growers are doing things, like I said consensus.

Sorry If I seemed contentious last night. I was just trying to be helpful, and was just regurgitating what I felt was the consensus on growing in coco(it is a very forgiving medium). I am trying to approach growing with a level of humility that comes unnaturally to me and I truly do appreciate everything that I am learning.
The graphic is interesting and gives much food for thought. With the root upward, pulling itself up may help it to shuck it's shell but I actually think that function is mostly done by the cotyledons as they fill out.

Personally, my experience is that the seeds sort themselves out, I tend to put them on the soil and water them in - the same way it would likely have happened (in nature) to all those seeds that "magically" sprouted under my bedroom window...

BUT, the caveat here, is that I am an ignoramus when it comes to pot plants so I may be waaaay off line !!!!

I try very hard to plant the tap root down. A couple of weeks ago I planted some UltraDawg seeds and one came up within 2 days. The second one broke the surface a few days later but looked as if the top had broken off under the surface. I never really understood it as it looked albino but it looked greenish at the soil surface.

I took some pictures of it recently and looked at it magnified and saw what looked like crystals on either side of the stump. At some point I realized the stump was the root which was trying to grow more roots above soil.

Anyway, this morning I dug it up and of course found that the leaves were under the soil. Eventually it probably would have straightened itself out but I turned it over and tried to cover the root and to allow the plant to grow upright.

IMG_520712.JPG

DSC_090112.JPG

See those two clusters of tissue. I think those are micro roots.

DSC_0023a1.jpg

Now if I didn't break anything flipping it over this morning and if the root is in contact with the peat pellet I'll have my second UD tomorrow. If not, it will just be a learning experience.
I'm still confused. So when the seed germinates and it's time to go in the soil, does the seed casing go in the soil first with the little root facing up or the opposite? I put my seed into the dirt with the white root part peeking up from the dirt lastnight and it doesn't look so well today. Afraid I did it backwards. 😏

I'm still confused. So when the seed germinates and it's time to go in the soil, does the seed casing go in the soil first with the little root facing up or the opposite? I put my seed into the dirt with the white root part peeking up from the dirt lastnight and it doesn't look so well today. Afraid I did it backwards. 😏
The tap root can be pointed up or down or left to chance. The thing that is really important is that the root is under the surface of the soil and not sticking up which is what is sounds like you did.

The root has to be covered so it can stay moist. While light usually will not kill a plants roots once it is into a mature seedling at the early stage it cannot be damaged.The root always grows from the tip and the tip would normally end up orienting itself until it is pointing down.

By planting the seed with the root tip above the soil line the tip is drying out.

Carefully remove the seed from the soil. Poke a hole into the soil with your finger and put the seed back. Do not worry about what part is up or down or the right or left. Cover is with a light layer of soil, about twice to 3 times the diameter of the seed. Dampen the soil with a couple of drops of water but do not get the soil soaking wet.

A general rule of thumb is to plant a seed in the soil at a depth of approx 4 times the diameter. Since this is an emergency situation go with twice to 3 times the diameter. Have got to get that root tip in so that it can repair itself and at the same time help the part that will become the leaves and stems back into the game as fast as possible. The plant will need to get leaves going for the photosynthesis so it can repair the damage to the root tip.

Pointy tip of seed should always point upwards if planted in a set medium. The tap root always does a 180 degree turn Downwards after first sproutof the Tap Root, it's pre programed in the genetic make up of the species to do that. Prolly has something to do with being Naturally Shed from the plant over Thousands of Years. And landing on the flat forest floor In a natural environment.

If you plant a cannabis seed side ways a quarter inch below the surface it Will Struggle TO Sprout... but in a way paper towel to sprout really doesn't matter. PUT THE TAP ROOT POINTING DOWNWARDS!!

Pointy tip of seed should always point upwards if planted in a set medium. The tap root always does a 180 degree turn Downwards after first sproutof the Tap Root, it's pre programed in the genetic make up of the species to do that.
I figure that just about every one of the over 150,000 plant species will reorient themselves in the first several days after the seeds are finishing their germination steps. Watch seeds like squash or beans go through this same stage like we see with our Cannabis seeds. This moving of the seed so that the tap root goes down and the two cotyledons point to the sky is not unique to just dicots(two cotyledons) either.

Even monocots (one cotyledon) do this. Example is grass seed used to reseed lawns. Sprinkle some seed on a bare spot and keep it moist. As long as the temperature of the soil is in the right range the seeds will sprout in a week. The seed starts to move until it is standing up on one end. The tap root comes out and straight into the soil. The first single blade of grass pushes through the seed husk from the other end. As long as there is enough water it is followed by the first of the true grass blades (leaves).

Kinda cool to watch they germinate. One afternoon the seeds are laying on the soil and the next morning they are starting to stand up. Also no need to bury them under a layer of soil. Most of them will survive just laying on top which is why paying attention to the soil moisture is important. None of the having to bury them in loose soil like what we have to do with most of the seeds we are familiar with.

Not to be rude...but is this just a way to troll us all? The question in itself is funny, why on earth would you plant it up or sideways unless you're looking to make germination difficult? I'm guessing the same can be said for just about anything that grows in soil. I hope this isn't for real
What a jackass

Back
Top Bottom