The Basics Of Plant Lighting

My local EMC (power utility) cost is $0.115 per kwh. The old EMC simply buys power from Duke Power and adds 25% to cover their SGA. If I could purchase direct from Duke my kwh charge would be $0.085.

Therefore: using all 32 bulbs at the same time costs monthly

24 hours on - will cost $60.94 monthly
18 on - 6 off - will cost $45.71 monthly
12 on - 12 off - will cost $30.71

The cost of a timer ($14.95) is covered in the 1st month savings going 18 on 6 off.

NOTE: my original seedlings today are showing good signs of recovery from the over exposure of too much light and too much heat stress of the first day I put together the 16 bulb fixture. It's taken 10 days for them to show signs of real recovery and I think yesterdays watering showed much improvement as I decided to put the distilled water in the refrigerator to cool rather using it at room temperature. The only other day or evening really they showed real signs of improving was when we had a cool front come through and the nightly temperatures dipped to 55 rather than the normal 73-75 with high humidity. That evening I opened one of the windows put a box fan in it to draw the air in from outside while using an oscillating fan to blow the cooler air on the plants. They loved the cooler air that night - that's why I decide to chill the water and thinking even though it's 90 degrees outside during the day if it rains the rainwater is much cooler - some times it can be in the form of hail - nothing weirder than driving down the road and seeing white hail along the roadside (on grass as the road surface will melt it quickly) after a thunderstorm. All depends on how high the cloud formations reach. This all goes into the plan I posted on how many lights I would use when for the newer seedlings that today are just 6 days old.

Also important to plant regulation are the blue light photoreceptors phototropins PHOT 1 and PhOT 2 which mediates phototropism, chloroplast relocation, stomatal opening,leaf-flattening responses, and enzyme processes.Phot1 mediates responses with higher sensitivity than phot2. Phot2 mediates specific responses, such as the chloroplast avoidance response and chloroplast dark positioning. Both phototropins have adsorbance peaks 410, 450 and 470 nm and of neatly equal adsorbance.

While what you're saying is true to a degree (there are many other factors at play as well), this is a basic primer on plant lighting. as for phot 1 and phot 2... phot 2 has only been found in the Arabidopsis leaves as of yet (to the best of my knowledge). If you have some studies that show differently or show them both in different plants, I would love to have a look at them.

By the way this is a very good summary. There are quite a few acticles on PHOT1 and PHot2 ond LOV1 and LOV2 the light adsorbing segments of the phototropin molecules.I did agoogle serch for "LOV1 and LOV22 spectrums" and came up with a lot of good articles on the chemistry and spectra. I'd list them but my low vision makes it difficult to do.

Hosebomber

Great thread, I have recommended it as a sticky thread.

Buck

Amazing! Real quick, which combo of bulbs from this Full Spectrum website would you suggest? I've had amazing results with these for health as well as my indoor veggies! Now I'm going to research each bulb to see how I can get a full and powerful (higher) radiant flux. But I'm just curious what you'd suggest bc I'm not a physicist, and you're the light expert! :)

Neolite Bulbs by Purelite

Let me know I'm wanting to buy some soon. Now I don't want bulbs that cost 300 lol. And maybe CFLs mixed with regular bulb so I could have the cfl close and the other far away. Just curious if you could give me your advice.

Thanks!!

Ok thanks! This company has CFLs too in the lefty and side of their menu. Sorry the link only took you to the incandescent page. Do you know of a combo of lights from those sources you gave me that'd give the highest PAR?

Hello ,

Im planing to start my grow . First of all i would like to choose the size of the grow tent and for sure ill use LED lights . Could you please give me a hand for i start quote products ?

First i dont know if its possible i would like to grow aprox 12 plants , 6 in a veg tent and 6 in flowering tent . Whats is in my mind is plant 2 by month for i get 12 that i can so i can do the harvest every month . If its possible this way what is the best size for my grow tent ? im thinking about 240x120x200cm (splited in two parts one for veg other flowering).

Second is about the Led lights - im looking a lush led lights both are 180 w . Do you think it will be to much for the size that im planing to grow ? in this topic you sad the minimum what is the max ? Have someone know if this led system is so potent as they say ? the website is LED Agriculture Lights | Lush Lighting | 888-960-4LED

I would like to get the right size and right LED watts for start planing how it will be the completed system . In brazil people dont have the culture to grow with good LED so i came here to learn with the big boys kkkk.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day .

Regards
Jhonny

Sticky!!!... :partyboy:

This thread is awesome Hosebomber! I am glad it was recognized as an extremely helpful thread that would benefit many folks by being at the top of the page!!

Rock On
:allgood:
Hosebomber

Hello ,

Im planing to start my grow . First of all i would like to choose the size of the grow tent and for sure ill use LED lights . Could you please give me a hand for i start quote products ?

First i dont know if its possible i would like to grow aprox 12 plants , 6 in a veg tent and 6 in flowering tent . Whats is in my mind is plant 2 by month for i get 12 that i can so i can do the harvest every month . If its possible this way what is the best size for my grow tent ? im thinking about 240x120x200cm (splited in two parts one for veg other flowering).

Second is about the Led lights - im looking a lush led lights both are 180 w . Do you think it will be to much for the size that im planing to grow ? in this topic you sad the minimum what is the max ? Have someone know if this led system is so potent as they say ? the website is LED Agriculture Lights | Lush Lighting | 888-960-4LED

I would like to get the right size and right LED watts for start planing how it will be the completed system . In brazil people dont have the culture to grow with good LED so i came here to learn with the big boys kkkk.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day .

Regards
Jhonny

split? ... you do not need a lot for vegging. Do you plan to run two rooms perpetually?

I am presently running 3 400 watt enhanced red hps bulbs (Ushio hilux) with very little in the deep red (IR) or deep blue (UV). they are covering a space roughly 3x6' giving me about 66w/sqft. I do not have a umol rating but this exceeds most recommendations of 55w/sqft. My question regards light intensity vs. par. I have been thinking about utilizing a combination of the 400w enhanced red hilux bulb and a 400 CMH which has a very wide band of light but lesser intensity,(ideally I would run both lamps in a single hood without glass and run two hoods) am I chasing straws or will the addition UV and IR help to increase density of flowers and the concentration of trichome. furthermore, do you think that running without glass is worth the extra heat? I run a closed room with h20 cooled hoods but could use the radiators and fans to cool room/canopy. Just seems that after reading this and other discussions that a broader band of light covers the many variables of photosynthesis. Maybe I should scrap this idea and buy some thousand watters perhaps those gavitas

Back
Top Bottom