LEDs, Lumes & LUX

Hi Ownplanet,

If you want the best lights to grow you need to look for broad spectrum lights. This means the entire spectrum, not just blue and red (Burple) spectrums. But also the white/green in the middle. Most LED Grow lights don't have white (which really is a blue light to the plants, but looks white to humans). The way many manufacturers work it is like this, blue spectrum is on the left side of the spectrograph (420nm) red spectrum is on the right side of the spectrograph (720nm). This means the graph has 2 peaks, one at 420nm and another at 720nm, they call this "full spectrum" because it goes from one extreme to the other extreme, but those are completely dead in the middle between the blue and red. This is total BS! Lights will hugely benefit from more than just blue and red, they need green. Proven by a plant scientist named Bruce Bugsby. One of the smart guys who worked on the early sustaining life space program.

The other issue is the wattage claims. Mars Hydro is one of the bad ones, they claim 400W, but in reality it really is only using 162W. And this 162W is putting out a very poor grow light spectrum (Burple). With low par (Umol) values.
There are only a few broad or full spectrum lights out there, ones that have green LED's in them. There are even fewer that publish real and honest performance numbers. Even fewer that don't exaggerate the results!

LED lights are often compared to the HPS wattage equivalents, this is totally bogus. It is not about wattage, it's about micromoles (Umol). Umol is the photosynthetic spectrum of light, Humans cannot see this. But plants can and use it for photosynthesis. The other issue about using watts and HPS comparisons is that HPS lamps waste up to and more than 60% of the wattage in heat output.

Quality LED's grow lights also don't use cooling fans.

To the OP: it's not at all about lumens. Lumens are for Humans! It's what we can see and perceive as light brightness. Plant growth is about Umol. Typically plants need a minimum of 180 Umol to be happy and a maximum of around 800 Umol. Above that there is a risk of burning the plants (sunburn). It's also about DLI (Daily light integral) this is how many umol's plants receive during a photo period. With weed in flower it would mean in a 12 hour period. Most plants are happy between 5DLI and 35DLI with pot being on the higher end. Typically with pot a DLI of 18-25 is about right. If you get above that the plants start spending more energy trying to shed the extra light they receive than they spend in photosynthesis, very counterproductive. Our sun emits as much as 60 DLI at high elevation bright sky. This is why often times the plants do much better in the shade or partial shade. Some of these super high output grow lights, LED's and HPS put out an astonishing 95+DLI.

Ask if you'd like to know more details.

Happy Growing,
TTKlaus

In reading everyones extremely technical led lighting advice, my head is spinning. I am usually an outdoor grower for personal use for many years. Lighting was not an issue. This year I thought I would give my girls a better start while waiting for warmer weather. Understand that I am 68 years old and not technically inclined. For years I have used the Zen method of growing. Having the plant tell me what's needed. While I know and understand that the science of growing is important, I need it simple and down to earth. Just one simple question. LED's are expensive. I have set income. Are Maxsisun mu 600 a decent light for a simple 2 to 3 plant grow? It's cheap, but is it good for a small grow? Thanx

In reading everyones extremely technical led lighting advice, my head is spinning. I am usually an outdoor grower for personal use for many years. Lighting was not an issue. This year I thought I would give my girls a better start while waiting for warmer weather. Understand that I am 68 years old and not technically inclined. For years I have used the Zen method of growing. Having the plant tell me what's needed. While I know and understand that the science of growing is important, I need it simple and down to earth. Just one simple question. LED's are expensive. I have set income. Are Maxsisun mu 600 a decent light for a simple 2 to 3 plant grow? It's cheap, but is it good for a small grow? Thanx
With LED you really get what you pay for, you're referencing a 134w blurple light, may be fine for one small autoflower but I wouldn't say enough for 2-3 plants. I use 500w actual draw of LED for 3 plants in a 4x4 tent.

Look at what diodes the light is using, that is one way to tell the difference between them. I got a nice 240w LED 2 board setup using Samsung 301h diodes for a reasonable price and should be more than enough for 2-3 at a time.

Great Info I have been using a 1500 watt full spectrum and a 1000 watt full spectrum in my flower room (My Attic lol) and have had great results from changing from HID's. I am also using some LED dominate color Flood lamps, I have 2 green which I use in veg area ( Garage) and 2 yellows i use with flowers they are 60 watt each but work great on areas that the light can not penetrate the canopy. I wish They had these 30 yrs ago!!!
which brand of led ur using

Hi all, I was looking at getting a mars hydro ts1000, tnen I was looking at the ts600 also, the ts1000 is 150w draw from wall and the ts600 is 100w draw from the wall, my question is, is there any reason why I shouldn’t get 2 ts600 instead on 1 ts1000, it’s 50w extra for only like $20 more, is there something I don’t kno or am not think about? I just want to make sure I’m doing something dumb by purchasing the 2 ts600s, thank you for and info

I have only grown with LED I am a new to this but the results speak for themselves....by the way I got my LEDs on Amazon real cheap.

2 X 1200 Watt LED @ 36" canopy but hey I do not know what I am doing :) The pictures attached are my indoor plants which were snapped today July 5 2020 in the sun as the sun makes a perfect picture of these beautiful plants.

Attachments

• 20200705_081121.jpg
    20200705_081121.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200705_081631.jpg
    20200705_081631.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 277
  • 20200705_081936.jpg
    20200705_081936.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 273
  • 20200704_164848.jpg
    20200704_164848.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200705_081919.jpg
    20200705_081919.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
  • 20200705_081524.jpg
    20200705_081524.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 263
Use accurate measures of light - stay away from watts, lux and lumens. You can use a free app to get a LUX reading and convert that to PPFD if your spectrum is known. Determine the light intensity you'll need for your grow space and purchase a light, from a reputable manufacturer knowing your requirements. Take into consideration the light's PPF, PPFD (at different distances), actual wattage draw and PPF efficacy. Look at HLGs (more expensive) or Spider Farmer (less expensive) for good, white LED quantum boards.

Hi everyone, I need advice on lightning. Actually, I'm very new to this world of growing. I tried to do it without any LEDs but figured out that it would help a lot. I need to take one but really don't know which one to choose. There are so many options and even reviews don't help. I came across this one, and think Likesuns Grow Light might work well for me. Though if anyone has advice, you are more than welcome.

Hi everyone, I need advice on lightning. Actually, I'm very new to this world of growing. I tried to do it without any LEDs but figured out that it would help a lot. I need to take one but really don't know which one to choose. There are so many options and even reviews don't help. I came across this one, and think Likesuns Grow Light might work well for me. Though if anyone has advice, you are more than welcome.
I have a @Budget LED series 3 500w and cover a 4x4 tent with it. They are a great light and they advertise actual wattage not some pie in the sky “1500w equivalent”

hello guys, i would like some advice, what light should i get for a 3x3 tent. I heard a lot of nice comments about the New Spider farmer SF4000 LED Grow Light With Dimmer Knob 2021 New Version QB, it is currently on discount, so here is another reason to buy it but otherwise I would like to have your opinion about this light. I would also like to know at what height of my plants should I hang it (we are talking about an LED light | 450w | 2.7umol / J), Thanks you. :)

hello guys, i would like some advice, what light should i get for a 3x3 tent. I heard a lot of nice comments about the New Spider farmer SF4000 LED Grow Light With Dimmer Knob 2021 New Version QB, it is currently on discount, so here is another reason to buy it but otherwise I would like to have your opinion about this light. I would also like to know at what height of my plants should I hang it (we are talking about an LED light | 450w | 2.7umol / J), Thanks you. :)
Check the 420 sponsors for all your lighting needs for discounts on great prices. Everyone one of them will size you up for that 3’x3’ tent .

Here’s one you can enter to win !

Im sure you guys have heard the term Lumens are for Humans?
A braod yet targeted horticultural fixture @ 120lm/w is going to work better for growing then a white based w/ 660nm 220lm/w fixture. Look up ppe, PPF, QYE. There are differences in ways to measure light, some more suitable for our needs then others.
Ex: burples often have a low to negative lumen value.

Happy I found this thread.

I had been trying to figure out why my grows have been so dry and leaves crispy etc later on mid flower. I found out, (due to my partner saying it was correct lol) that to 1,000 W LED lights in a 5x5 tent with five plants is too much.
Next grow I should probably cut that in half right?

Happy I found this thread.

I had been trying to figure out why my grows have been so dry and leaves crispy etc later on mid flower. I found out, (due to my partner saying it was correct lol) that to 1,000 W LED lights in a 5x5 tent with five plants is too much.
Next grow I should probably cut that in half right?

gonna depend entirely on what you mean by a 1000w led. if it's a crap light you might need a couple more.

Back
Top Bottom