The Deep Water Culture Home

I'd like to help you out with your meter prob, but I never used one for PH I just use the liquid and small vial cheap and they work. No complicated either !! You reall should keep the res temps down below 72 . You don't want root rot or other nastythings starting down bwlow !! I did get a Hanna PPM meter it only cost about 30 bucks , that I use all the time..Good Luck alien8 :peace:

Greetings Deep Water Culture.

I have questions for you dear souls.

1) I began using the Deep Water Culture System yesterday, and the Sunleaves Air Pump is VERY noisy, even propped on a towel away from all hard or hollow surfaces. It kept me awake all night last night. And I can hear it three rooms away through the wall!

I only have one seedling (out of the four bag seeds which were soaked in paper towel to sprout) which I placed in a rockwool cube yesterday.

Is it alright to unplug the air pump at night, or is that detrimental to the extra oxygenation of the water to the seedling(s)?

2)This Sunleaves air pump came with the Deep Water Culture system. Do I call Stealth Hydro and ask for a replacement? Maybe it is just defective.This air pump is NOT stealthy, by any measure, and that is why I went with buying the entire system...stealthiness (is that a word?)

3) what other brands of air pumps are you using? which would you recommend for Quietness?

I did a little reading of reviews of other pumps on the Internet today to learn more...in one review someone stated that sometimes the air stone itself creats too much pressure on the pump and causes it to make to much noise. Does anyone have any experience with that?

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Yesterday, I was doing the step of pH balancing water to soak the Rockwool Cubes, according to Roseman's Tutorial, attempting to balance my pH 6.5 water down to 5, as he recommends to help lower the pH of the Cubes. I used the Stealth Hydro (from their system) pH DOWN and the pH went UP to 7.5!!!

I am speculating that the pH DOWN may be mislabled. ANY OTHER IDEAS?

I called and left Stealth Hydro a message yesterday morning (Thursday). It is now Friday evening after hours, and I have not heard back from them.

IS my 6.5 pH tap/filtered water fine to use in the res for the plant, even though pH 5.8 is best? Being so new to this (and with brain/tracking/memory issues) I'm sure I've read about the Happy Medium for water pH. AND Mostly Crazy sent a wonderful graph to study. I just want to confirm that it is alriaght for my first sweet seedling to continue growing like this since I have no way to reduce the pH at this time, over the weekend and into next week. I live in a rural area, an hour from aquarium stores, big box stores, wal-mart or anywhere else like that. AND I'm car-free, so generally do most shopping over the internet...

Does anyone else have any feedback about their Customer Service experiences with Stealth Hydro?

I'd ordered the Multi-Spectrum CFL setup with my Deep Water Culture System and two of the CFL bulb bases were too close to the reflector to allow the bulbs to screw in. Has anyone else had that experience??? ( SH has just sent a replacement reflector to me, received it today, and not yet had time to open and inspect. hope it is in working order...)

Any feedback is WELCOME~I am very excited having begun my very first grow ever. As teh plants grow, I will add parabolic reflectors and other CFL's to enhance the grow. :yahoo:

ALSO, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for being who you are! This site is such a welcoming place, and I feel connection already.

BLISS AND BLESSINGS TO ALL ALWAYS.
Cannasunshine:thanks:

While there are obvious disadvantages to growing in a small shower stall, such as horizontal growth negatively affected and basically only able to do a canopy grow, there ARE advantages. The sink is 3 ft away. The res sits over the drain so no worries when it comes to leaks or spills. But if I had my way, I would want triple the area I currently have. I just take what I can get. As long as the weed is good, I'm good.

Peace

Sam

Same here people laugh when they see the weed climbing out of my furnace closet, but they sure like the smoke :bong: Sounds like you got it nailed so close to drains and water . I've had more than one spill changing out res' and I have to turn out all the lights in my room at 8:30 so if we want to do anything in there after 8:30 better not need to see !! ;)

1) I began using the Deep Water Culture System yesterday, and the Sunleaves Air Pump is VERY noisy, even propped on a towel away from all hard or hollow surfaces. It kept me awake all night last night. And I can hear it three rooms away through the wall!

I only have one seedling (out of the four bag seeds which were soaked in paper towel to sprout) which I placed in a rockwool cube yesterday.

Is it alright to unplug the air pump at night, or is that detrimental to the extra oxygenation of the water to the seedling(s)?

2)This Sunleaves air pump came with the Deep Water Culture system. Do I call Stealth Hydro and ask for a replacement? Maybe it is just defective.This air pump is NOT stealthy, by any measure, and that is why I went with buying the entire system...stealthiness (is that a word?)

3) what other brands of air pumps are you using? which would you recommend for Quietness?

I did a little reading of reviews of other pumps on the Internet today to learn more...in one review someone stated that sometimes the air stone itself creats too much pressure on the pump and causes it to make to much noise. Does anyone have any experience with that?

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Yesterday, I was doing the step of pH balancing water to soak the Rockwool Cubes, according to Roseman's Tutorial, attempting to balance my pH 6.5 water down to 5, as he recommends to help lower the pH of the Cubes. I used the Stealth Hydro (from their system) pH DOWN and the pH went UP to 7.5!!!

I called and left Stealth Hydro a message yesterday morning (Thursday). It is now Friday evening after hours, and I have not heard back from them.

IS my 6.5 pH tap/filtered water fine to use in the res for the plant, even though pH 5.8 is best? Being so new to this (and with brain/tracking/memory issues) I'm sure I've read about the Happy Medium for water pH. AND Mostly Crazy sent a wonderful graph to study. I just want to confirm that it is alriaght for my first sweet seedling to continue growing like this since I have no way to reduce the pH at this time, over the weekend and into next week. I live in a rural area, an hour from aquarium stores, big box stores, wal-mart or anywhere else like that. AND I'm car-free, so generally do most shopping over the internet...

Does anyone else have any feedback about their Customer Service experiences with Stealth Hydro?

I'd ordered the Multi-Spectrum CFL setup with my Deep Water Culture System and two of the CFL bulb bases were too close to the reflector to allow the bulbs to screw in. Has anyone else had that experience??? ( SH has just sent a replacement reflector to me, received it today, and not yet had time to open and inspect. hope it is in working order...)

Any feedback is WELCOME~I am very excited having begun my very first grow ever. As teh plants grow, I will add parabolic reflectors and other CFL's to enhance the grow. :yahoo:

ALSO, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for being who you are! This site is such a welcoming place, and I feel connection already.

I had the same problem with that air pump. I got a better one at WallMart,it has 2 air outlets and it's much quieter, you can use both for 2 airstones if you like or just plug one. If those light bulbs don't fit just get and extension plug at WallMart too their usually less than a dollar (?) I prefer to use bottled water as my tap water is pretty bad ,it works out great for me. I just use the liquid PH test from the hydro store, meters seem too complcated ..I did get a Hanna PPM meter though, only 30 bucks on line or at hydro store. Don't forget to check out Rosemans tutorials here just look in the forums section he has the best info here !! Good Luck with your grow , you'll always find help here ..:peace:

THank you, ol' hippy.

I've been reading and referring to that wonderful tutorial every day numerous times!

And I will check into everything else you wrote tommorow. Time to tuck in and get off the computer for the night.

Blessings,
Cannasunshine

I too had the airpump from SH and bought the walmart one which is way quieter and two stones to boot. Funny side note when set up for flowering put in the two outlet pump and by accident plugged in the sunleaves one for at least a week or so with no hoses and was wondering what all the noise was. All better now.

As far as the issues you are having with SH I have bought orders from them twice with no problems and no broken parts. The tech support was always very good as well. I suppose it is possible that the ph is mixed up but I am not sure how you would be able to tell that.

Out of curiosity is there liquid tests for ppm and ph like they have in fish tanks? If so how accurate are they compared to meters and test strips. I know someone just said strips are a guesstimation.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Cannasunshine:
seeing how your in a bind, you can use regular aspirin to lower your ph. You can also use white distilled vinegar. GO EASY. Hope this helps till you can make it to the hydro shop.

Does anyone remember the name of the seed someone recommended to me the other day. It was something like domina something.
Thank you

What brand pump at walmart? I was looking yesterday want to buy the right one

A sound baffle is a construction or device which reduces the strength (level) of airborne sound. Sound baffles are a fundamental tool of noise mitigation, the practice of minimizing noise pollution or reverberation. An important type of sound baffle is the noise barrier constructed along highways to reduce sound levels at properties in the vicinity. Sound baffles are also applied to walls and ceilings in building interiors to absorb sound energy and thus lessen reverberation
Think about this on a small scale. You could build a box w/ soundproof material for your air pump, but you would have to do some experiments i.e. where/how would you supply air to the pump. If you are looking for pure stealth, this would be the way to go.

As far as the HM digital meters Alien, I don't store my TDS meter in any solution. I went out and bought some General Hydro meter calibration solution, and calibrated mine with that. I clean it (rinse off w/ clean water) before and after each use methodically so there is no build up. The Ph meter came with a little bottle of storage solution. I put several drops in the cap (on the sponge), and then just put the cap on.

What strain would you recommend for hash MostlyCrazy :popcorn:

I'd recommend the strain they were talking about in that video. Sounds like some bad ganja!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom