Tincture use for joint pain

romanduffe

420 Member
I do not use CBD products. I do use two wild weeds for producing a Tincture for pain. It works as well as any CBD products and is legal. I read the question and answer on distilling CBD, if the alcohol retains the THC, my question is, does the alcohol retain the components of a plant if distilled, and if the remaining water also retains the components if distilled?

no expert here,, but

distilling the alcohol is what some folks do to 'recover' the alcohol, after using said alcohol to make cannabis oil. so,, the oil stays behind as the alcohol is distilled off and recovered for re using

i think

this i know,, i use a tincture every day for my arms, hands and shoulders,,

i use straight isopropyl alcohol that i have soaked cannabis in. it works great and dissipates quickly

karma sent friend

the oils in cannabis, which is what we want,, are not water soluble, least most are not,, maybe some terpines are

does the alcohol retain the components of a plant if distilled,
The alcohol retains the cannabinoids that have been dissolved in it, as nivek mentioned. For ingestion/inhalation, the alcohol is completely removed (via evaporation or distilling/recapture), as all we are interested in are the cannabinoids.
if the remaining water also retains the components if distilled?
I'm not sure where water comes into the process, as ideally we don't use any water during extraction. If water is added, it is evaporated off as well. Water doesn't retain any cannabinoids as they're not water soluble, which is why alcohol is used for extractions.

In terms of some random plant, I have no idea.

Not sure I exactly understand the question. However, the answer is, it depends.

For what we do at home, certainly, there are all kinds of things in the resulting oil other than the THC. All but 1 of the terpenes is present, a bunch of flavonoids, as well CBG, CBN, CBC, and CBD, and I bet a ton of other shit.

Commercially, there is broad spectrum oil and there is isolate. The broad spectrum oil is similar to what we make at home. It has just about everything in it. Its also far easier to produce. As it relates to Isolate, they fraction off the various compounds, so that each is separated. How far you want to separate it is contingent on how precise you are and how much money you have. You basically run the crude oil through a still. You increase the temperature to the boiling point of each of the elements in the oil and dwell. For example, THC comes off at 157c or so. You heat your still up to 157c, which is when the THC should start dripping down through the condenser head. You dwell at that temperature until the THC stops evaporating off, then remove the flask that has the THC in it, and put a new flask on to collect the next fraction. I'm somewhat simplify it, but basically that's how it works.

Long answer to a quick question, my apologies. I did edit it and remove 20 pages. :lot-o-toke:

As for water, that works well for essential oils. You'll see steam units on the market. The reason they work fine for the average plant and not for cannabis is the exposure necessary to maintain the steam causes degradation of the THC. You'll wind up with a mess of a narcotic hot dog water tincture. Heat is the mechanism that strips the oils instead of solvency, like with ethanol, iso, etc.

Another HUGE difference with essential oils and THC oils, we decarb to break the carbon molecule off of the THC-A chain, to transform it into THC, the psychoactive component. To do so, the oil is heated to 120c and then you dwell there for 20-30 minutes. At the same time, any remaining solvents will boil off, water will also boil off, and so will the benzene that is present. This is because those elements/solvents have a boiling point of > 120c which is where we decarb at.

Terpene boiled off during decarb:
caryophyllene=119c

Solvents:
Water=100c, Ethanol=78.5c, isopropyl=82.4c, methanol=64.6c, acetone=56.05c, heptane=98c.

Toxins:

Benzene=80.1c

my question is,

does the alcohol retain the components of a plant if distilled,

and if the remaining water also retains the components if distilled?

no

the components of a plant remain behind if the alcohol is distilled

to make a long story even longer,,

I asked a question about a process and I was not clear about what I do. This is extracting the nutrients from a plant and no oil is involved. The process is the plant plus one part alcohol and two parts water. This draws the pain relief extractant from the wild plant after a month to six weeks. The question is does the alcohol when distilled off bring any of the extractant with it, then if the water is distilled does the water bring any or is it left in the left over plant in the still.

no

the components of a plant remain behind if the alcohol is distilled

to make a long story even longer,,

How scientific do you want to get, and how much time do you have. The true answer is, it depends. Even after true distillation, which is different from solvent evaporization BTW (semantics), the resulting ethanol will be less proof than what you started with. So, what do you suppose is reducing the proof?

I asked a question about a process and I was not clear about what I do. This is extracting the nutrients from a plant and no oil is involved. The process is the plant plus one part alcohol and two parts water. This draws the pain relief extractant from the wild plant after a month to six weeks. The question is does the alcohol when distilled off bring any of the extractant with it, then if the water is distilled does the water bring any or is it left in the left over plant in the still.
Are you asking if the distilled alcohol and water retain any healing properties? Try it and see! I don't believe they would, as the distillation process is designed to capture the purified alcohol and water, leaving any impurities behind.

But then I don't think homeopathy is a thing either!

Yes. Unless you have access to lab gear, your resulting solvent will never be the same strength it was when you started.

But, does it really matter? It would be trace amounts.

Next time folks do a wash and then recover, test the proof of your ethanol. I will bet you a dollar your 190 proof Everclear will be something much less.

the poster wants to know if after distillation, will the recovered alcohol have all the cannabinoids in it

the answer is no, for the posters purpose

but as so often happens,, everyone cares but the original poster

:snowboating:

lol

you sound like you are talking about 'bitters',, i ran into this in belize,, most interesting stuff

called bitters from the british occupancy days

roots barks and alcohol and stuff, and ttime

crazy ass stuff, i know from just the littlest drink

you sound like you are talking about 'bitters',, i ran into this in belize,, most interesting stuff

called bitters from the british occupancy days

roots barks and alcohol and stuff, and ttime

crazy ass stuff, i know from just the littlest drink
The weeds I use are just toxic weeds, (curly dock, and Prickly Lattice) which have strong pain relieving abilities. They can be eaten fresh or you can make a Tincture by using a high grade Alcohol, some say to use water as well. The end result is a very green liquid and effective but it makes a large amount. I was wanting to reduce the size so I tried Distilling the mixture which I get 60 percent alcohol. I have an alcohol tester so I know the proof. I get the smell and taste of the plant in the distilled water after capturing the Alcohol used in the Tincture. I have also used distilled Brandy made from the old wine I made a few years ago. I make around 15 Gallons a year. I know there is no definitive answer other than try and see if it reduces my pain( it seems to) I was looking for reinforcements

let me be clear about one thing , please

is this tincture for consuming or

applying as a topical, as in, rubbing on the painful joints?

try this link by a fine member of this community on tincture making,, she explains about reducing the tincture

i would imagine any plant material would be similar in the results.

let me be clear about one thing , please

is this tincture for consuming or

applying as a topical, as in, rubbing on the painful joints?

try this link by a fine member of this community on tincture making,, she explains about reducing the tincture

i would imagine any plant material would be similar in the results.

I did watch the film on the web site, she did not do what I do, I let the plant seep in the alcohol for 4 to 6 weeks before I do anything. We know that the alcohol is an excellent extractor. I think I know what I will do. I will use the still to extract the Alcohol I used and then reduce the amount of water left with the plant residue and see how potent it is. The distilled tincture I have tried and just 4ml with only 12% (40 proof)alcohol will make me lite headed.

there are other ways to distill the alcohol out of the mixture,, as in,, for one,, just allowing the alcohol to evaporate naturally,, takes forever, but nature takes care of it

or,, heat the mixture in a hot water bath,, works quite quickly actually

Back
Top Bottom