To Top or Not to Top? That is the question.

Well, I've read so many differing opinions, my head is spinning.

I'm vegging under one high output 400w MH and I have no space issues. I have 6 good plants, grown from seed, and I'm hoping to get 3-4 females.

Anyway, some say that topping will not increase the yield and may stunt the plans. Others say that it does produce more yield. Some saw it's a wash because the main cola will be larger.

My plants are getting ready to form node 4th or 5th nodes. See grow here. Considering my light source (with no space limitations other than an 8ft ceiling and light coverage), should I top these plants? Perhaps, just after the 5th node? Or, should I let them go and focus on 4 main colas.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Let them grow to about 12 inches then bend the top over. You end up with the same results as topping without the stress, loss of main cola and the yield can still be maintained or improved on. By topping or bending you are redirecting the growth auxins to lower branches which makes the lower branches explode with growth thus giving you more bud sites and colas.
Or you can top. Your choice.

Thanks for responding!!

Well, that's one more thing to consider. Now I'm even more undecided. ;)

How would one accomplish that? You mean tie the top node all the way down with a string and a weight?

How about fimming? How much damage can I do if I screw that up?

This is my first real grow indoors and I was thinking I would keep things fairly simple.

But hey, no guts - no glory. :)

Tieing it over gently is one method. I myself would just reach over and grab the main stem where I want the bend to be and slowly roll the stem between my fingers and thumb putting presssure on it. You will feel the innards crush and the cola will fall over. leave it where it falls. It will heal itself with a knuckle where you crushed it at and you will end up with faster lower branch growth.
Fimming can cause damage or it may not. It's a risk that just breathing on your plants can cause rust (airborn fungus) to attach itself to your leaves as well. Life is a risk. EVERYTHING is a risk.lol The damage from fimming can be anything from nothing to the plant becoming a hermie.
Considering how anything and everything can cause stress IMO it's best to add as little as possible.

Wow, that sounds like a pretty cool way of getting it to bush and produce more colas.

Would I perform this procedure just at the top node, like if I were topping, or would it be better to bend at a point a couple of nodes below the top?

Also, would the main cola continue to grow?

A search on this site for "supercropping" or "super cropping" should return info describing Racefan's technique.

Thanks again guys, for all the help!!

I searched on both of those terms FreakNature and after reading, I now understand that the technique suggested by Racefan is called "crimping" and it's one of the techniques included in a group of techniques referred to as super cropping.

I just couldn't find any references in any of those threads that would shed light on my questions.

Can I assume that performing the crimping procedure somewhere after the 5 node is formed is correct? I"m almost at the 5th node now and the plants aren't but 6-7 inches or so high. They seem healthy but kinda stubby at this point.

I'm also still wondering if the main cola will continue to grow after crimping?

Thanks for any light you could shed on this for me!

Don't top. The plant has spent 4000 years to be cultivated standing upright. Topping and bending is like picking at a scab. It's there and it's juicy and you just want to touch it. Go touch something else, and leave the plant unmolested.

Thanks for the great input from everyone!! Some good points made by all.

I have topped outdoors and idoors, (with an an old phototron) without killing or hurting my plants in any way.

wait till she's about a foot tall to crimp. You could bend her over with a twist tie or paper clip right now but with such a large amount of head room I don't understand your desire to bend this thing over so soon. and yes the cola continues to grow.
I hear what you're saying RF. It's not that I'm in a hurry to do it, I guess I just figured that if I were going to snip the top, I'd have to do it soon because the plants are at the 5th node now and everyone says top after the 5th node. I'm certainly leaning toward the crimp method you suggested and was just unsure of when to do it. 12 inches sounds good, no matter how many nodes has formed by then. if I crimped at 12 inches, the plant would have time to recover and continue to grow to 18 or so inches, which is when I planned to flip to 12/12

I do have one plant that's not growing as fast as the others and I may not do anything with that one. I'm growing from seed and there are no signs of sex yet, so what I do to the plants may depend on how many females I have. (If I can determine the sex before it's time to do something).

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) help.

Oh, ok. I see what you're sayin'. I assumed that people were suggesting that I top immediately after the fourth or fifth node. I figured since I would be going to 12/12 at 18 inches or so, topping/crimping after the 5th node would be about right but I can see that may not be the case. It's better to be looking at it in terms of the height of plant, rather than after a specific node has formed.

Give me a minute or two. It will eventually sink in. ;)

mcbudz: what's the difference?

:bong:

they all give similar results.

topping - You cut the top growth tip off. The plant stops growing their and reroutes the growth hormones to the remaining lower branches and creates a much bushier plant. I combine this with LST to force lateral branches to grow off the main branches.

crimping/pinching - you cause internal damage to the stem and until it heals itself the growth hormones redirect to the lower branches same as above. Eventually the the pinched area heals itself and forms a knot there. the stem usually will resume growing once healed.

fimming - Its a missed topping job. "Fvck I Missed" is what it stands for. You cut right above the part where you would when you top. You cut the top 3/4 of it off. It slows down vertical growth (I think). I have tried it and really didnt see anything special other than the leaves were chopped off when they came out.

i had to top one of mine it grew right into my light and killed all the leaves sprouting out
it only slowed growth down for a day or two all the other nodes went crazy after that

Back
Top Bottom