When to top

frosown

I know this has been asked quite frequently, and i've searched but not found the info i've been looking for. When is the BEST time to exactly top, and how long does the recovery take for normal growth to resume? How much more beneficial is topping then not?
I will have 4-6 flowering ladies, and the one to be topped is on it's 5th node today. Should I cut just below where the 5th node came in? Or just above the 4th? Or just above the 5th..
I've had 2 already get messed up experimenting with nutes and being way too early, even with an extreme diluted soln, burned the piss out of them. But you live and learn. Any info is appreciated, want to be topping tonight!

Re: When to top....

3-5 nodes ok to top. As far as where I can post a pic or post a video I did on that. It takes about 3-5 days for growth to start moving again.

As far as (beneficial is topping then not) Way beneficial if you want more buds and make a bushy plant. Topping and tying will make way more buds. Every time you top you make 2 more main stems. So if you want to veg 2 months you can top on a top on a top and have 8 main Stems. like I said just let me know if you do not mind for me to post pic or video on how to do.

As far as (beneficial is topping then not) Way beneficial if you want more buds and make a bushy plant. Topping and tying will make way more buds. Every time you top you make 2 more main stems. So if you want to veg 2 months you can top on a top on a top and have 8 main Stems. like I said just let me know if you do not mind for me to post pic or video on how to do.
Thank you on the topping info, but why and what do I tie?

I have just finished topping my plants, topped at 2nd node, then topped 3 more times to create 16 main stems, if you would like to follow along, as @Blew Hiller says theres are a few out there that will help you, a lot of people too bud.

Thank you on the topping info, but why and what do I tie?
When you bush the plant it will grow more even bud sites. When it is not a bush it will have the main buds on top and bottom half of top will be small and under lit. If you toped it then the two new growths that grow out are the ones to tie over when they get around 6inch long. When you tie a branch over you will see the plant grow a bud site at ever node on them branches so instead of two buds you will have around four to six buds. All it is really doing is making more main buds rather then two or four you get eight or ten all depends on size and age of plant. The more even buds grow the better quantity and quality you can get. Take care and thanks for stopping by.

I know this has been asked quite frequently, and i've searched but not found the info i've been looking for. When is the BEST time to exactly top, and how long does the recovery take for normal growth to resume? How much more beneficial is topping then not?
I will have 4-6 flowering ladies, and the one to be topped is on it's 5th node today. Should I cut just below where the 5th node came in? Or just above the 4th? Or just above the 5th..
I've had 2 already get messed up experimenting with nutes and being way too early, even with an extreme diluted soln, burned the piss out of them. But you live and learn. Any info is appreciated, want to be topping tonight!

Flowering? Don't top them, if they are flowering. You will shock them. Top them during veg. Early on in veg. The whole point is to grow multiple branches.

Never top in flower. In veg around 4th node on up. Cut or pinch right where you see the stem growing on the new node but try not to cut the tinny leafs that will be on each side at the bottom of that new node stem. Them two tinny leafs on the sides of that node will become your two new main growths. It will take 5-7 days for the plant to start growing the two new stems. The benefit of topping will be more buds on top of plant with more of a bush grow rather then a nature Christmas tree growth with only having one main bud on top you will have two too four with better light hitting lower buds by you not having to have light high up for one tall bud. In the end with topping you will have more bud sites and better consistency with your buds on size, dense and looks. I normally cut on fourth and if I want a really bushy plant I tie the two new stems over sideways when they reach around six inches. Then you will get main buds on every node that was sideways from them growing upwards. Two main ways not counting fiming are topping and whats called LST aka tying branches over sideways to make bushy Bud making machines.

Flowering? Don't top them, if they are flowering. You will shock them. Top them during veg. Early on in veg. The whole point is to grow multiple branches.
Damn just realized that post was from 2014 I think he might have flowered them by now lmao

3-5 nodes ok to top. As far as where I can post a pic or post a video I did on that. It takes about 3-5 days for growth to start moving again.
You say that but it does depend on health and available food. My auto flowers didnt stop growing. The next day they had got bigger.
Brooklyn sunrise before
20180814_171750.jpg

After
20180815_191800.jpg

Blue dream before
20180814_171635.jpg

After
20180815_191804.jpg

I think topping comes down to when you do it and strain genetics .

But autos should be topped 14-21 days or third or fourth node .

Photos and females whenever you want as much as you like. Make sure scissors are sterile too. Remeber the less you do to a plant the less stunting or stresses so faster growth development. I love @Asesino85 quadline . Topping is really good too if the plant is known to be a tall plant helps keep it shorter and bushier or more wider .

Lots of great growers here

I love @Asesino85 quadline .
Thats what I did to those 2 but I did a variation on both. Took the brooklyn right from the top and left the bottom 2 nodes. The blue dream I did a normal quad, so strip off the first node, leave 2 and 3 and top down to 3

Haha I just replied too lol
Thats what I did to those 2 but I did a variation on both. Took the brooklyn right from the top and left the bottom 2 nodes. The blue dream I did a normal quad, so strip off the first node, leave 2 and 3 and top down to 3
yeag or you can let it go to say 5-6 node so root establishes better to before stressing with cut then top back down to 4 node keep three and four remove one and two ?

Haha I just replied too lol

yeag or you can let it go to say 5-6 node so root establishes better to before stressing with cut then top back down to 4 node keep three and four remove one and two ?
True i like keeping my girls low as possible though and as they are autos i wanted to get em soon as possible. Still tho as ya can see it didnt slow em down at all those pics are literally 24h apart

Back
Top Bottom