My Journey On Learning To Perfect A SOG

HigherTheHigh

Hello all .

So this journal will be for all my future SOG garden grows, I'm totally new to this and this will be my first two attempts.

Side 1:
I'm growing 9 Green Gelato in 20L pots, Canna Professional Plus there around 10" tall at the moment, some are topped at the 5th node, they have been in the 20L pots for and 7-10 days, I plan on putting a screen up at 12" then flip them on the 1st of next month only if the main stems are 4-6" above the screen, I will be tucking and weaving them if needed so the canopy is even, I plan on using a 600w Hps in a cool hood but if the canopy is even and dense I will add another 400w Hps, my overall goal on yield for this side is 20-23oz with the one 600w, this would be 6.5-7.2g per stem or if I added the extra 400w I would like 24-30oz which would be 7.5-9.5g per stem, what do you think?

Side 2:
I'm growing 16 plants in 100-250ml start of pots but will eventually end up in 3L pots, coco, 1" inch base of perlite in the base of the pots or a 60/40 coco/permits mix, then 50L of coco mixed with 1.5-2kg of Mycorrhizal Fungi pellets to help with root growth, my overall goal on this side is 10-16oz which would be 17.5-28g per plant, think it's doable?

There going under a 600w Hps in a cool hood, 4 rows of 4 or maybe 3 rows of 5 and the 1 left over, I'm thinking on hooking them up to a dropper with a flood dripper, 3x feeds per day, this should hopefully help out with yield .

I'm ideally looking for the canopy to be at most around 80-100cm giving each plant a good 20-25cm square, my cool hood is around 50x60 then my distance to light in hoping I can get to around 10-12" without stressing the plants too much and my overall temp room hoping should be around 22-25c so the environment will be good especially as I'm around them daily.

There currently in there starter pots while my medium arrives later this week then I plan to flip them around the 8th of July a a good 2.5 weeks once breaking soil, but with this being my first grow with a new style should I induce plant stretch in veg or not as I would prefer at least 12" of stem/ buds/cola ect?

More than likely I will lollypop them up, I may add a small holed screen up if needed but I probably wont, I will be choosing the best pheno from the best plants and take a clone so I can have a mother plant for future grows, 1 mother plant for each strain and hopefully keep them at around 12-20" high.

After my first 16 Plant SOG I then plan on doing 25-128 plant/clone garden grows, all in 3L pots, 15cm wide and 20cm high 128 is the most I can fit in a 4x8 tent floor.

I will be using the full Remo Nutrients line up .

The strains in growing are the following:

- 3 Orange Sherbet from Barneys Farm
- 3 Strawberry Lemonade from Barneys Farm
- 3 Pink Kush from Barneys Farm
- 3 Wedding Gelato from Royal Queen Seeds
- 3 Sherbet Queen from Royal Queen Seeds
- 1 Special Queen 1 from Royal Queen Seeds
- 9 Green Gelato from Royal Queen Seeds

I hope to see you a long my learning and growing journey :peace:

Thanks for taking a ride along

Yeah this will be the first so I'm hoping for an even canopy with this first 2 attempts being from seed and not clones.

Once I take some clones from these small plants I will then grow that into a mothering plant and once it has been grown out and enough clones can be taken them I'll take them so the next SOG will be around November/October time, thinking 49 plant 7 rows of 7 or 24 Plant 4 rows of 6, plan to flip them 14 days after they have been potted up into there final 3L pots.

I'm interested in growing in Rockwood cubes style so if anyone has any info on those would be appreciated, I've seen some equal drop tray tops for them, I could use my 90x60x90 tent and have my canopy around 400mm high giving me a good 500mm for either a hps or led light.

Does anyone know of a good strain that works well with the SOG technique?

Talking about the LED line I was looking at getting some of the QB bourds worked out it would be around 5 bourds total for my 60x90 tent but wondered what the heat was like on those if any?

I have just put my 4x8 tent up, plan on giving it a clean tonight then install the 2 cool hoods tomorrow then out my plants up with a screen 10-12" above the pots tying some down so I can create an even canopy then another screen 4-10" above the first one.

Side 1: 9 Green Gelato
The first screen is to help even the canopy, then from the first to the 2nd screen will be where I want my buds to start and end up so then at least I will be getting 6-14" inches of bud sites which I'm hoping for at least 10g from each main stem/cola .

Each plant will have 8-10+ main stems, the higher the branches I will tie those down so I may end up with at most 20 Bud sites, the squares on the net are 6x6" so I'm going to leave it single layered on the first screen then double layered on the 2nd screen giving me 3x3 squares and my plan is to hopefully have a main cola/stem ever 3 square inch so basically a bud site tied to each corner of the squares on the screen .

I plan on flipping them to flower on the 1st of next month only if I'm happy with the canopy as this grow is specifically for yield but also quality in hoping for at least 20oz on this SOG that would be around 6.2g from each stem/cola, I will be using my 600w Hps turned up to 660w then depending on the canopy I may well add another 400w.

Side 2: Mixed
Only 2 have broken soil at the moment so not much to tell you.

I plan to tape all of the stitching and zip up inside to stop any potential light or smell leaked and most importantly if I add co2 I want to make sure it's sealed tight.

So side 1 is nearly done, the screen sits 10" above the pots but I can move it if needed up or down, so once these 9 plants grow through this screen then I will start tying them down then add another screen to help with support and equal tying points for bud site spacing.

I'm going to put new ducting up as the majority of my current piping is so the damaged or bagged off due to pollen been somewhat on them.

I will sort side 2 out once these have broken soil all fully and growing nicely, until then the 9 in here will get good air circulation ect.

2 things I cant say as I see a need for in what you're planning.
One is why bother up potting into such a tiny 1/2 gallon pot when you can just plant right into that tiny pot.
And not sure that mycorrhazae is going to do anything at all for you in such small amounts of soil that's definitely going to be bottle fed.

If only yield is your goal you can get the yield you're shooting for in like 2 plants with a SCROG.
But you can of course get a much more diverse crop with numerous different strains like the way you're planning.

I put them in those starter pots just whilst I was waiting for my medium which should be here at some point this week .

Yield is for Side 1 and side 2 is to find the best phenomenon out of the 3 of each seed then I will be using the clones as mothering plants then use the clones as a genuine SOG.

I've put them in the new tent now, 400w mh in the cool hood which is also hooked up to the extractor to keep heat down :).

I'm going to put my 100L reservoir tank in and bits and bobs in side 2 as my 16 plant SOG on side 2 will only be around 60cm square so a small space in the corner is all they need, I may even put a mesh screen inbetween sides just to stop cross contamination in case any of the smaller plants end up hermies without me seeing ect.

Side 2:

Only 2 of the seeds have broken soil so what I'm thinking is I may grow each of these strains fully instead of the small SOG and take cuttings then start from there as I think there is not going to be no where near an even canopy due too new plant height and stretch after 12/12 ect.

if I do said above plan then I will be growing 40 90x60x90 seedling tent, 4" rockwool cubes setup, hopefully try get a custom LED setup thats overpowering for the tent, small space, max yield! .

So I will be buying the new setup equipment this month while I have the money so if anyone has ever grown in rockwool or knows of a similar setup is love to know, the reason I'm planning on the rockwool is due to the medium height meaning a smaller grow system, longer plants with extra room for lights and excessive heat.

I will be installing my filter today, temps at the moment are 24c and that's 12" away from the rough level of the canopy and that's with the extractor on the hood on very little power via the adjuster so I think I could easily get this tent to run at a permanent 20-23c with just the one light running at the moment .

Yeah I took a look at your journal but I still have to have to finish reading it :).

It's getting there isn't it, one of my main faults when growing is leaving the odd open space without bud sites so at least this way I should have ever square inch covered .

I have a 50L Wilma water reservoir I'm thinking of converting into a aeroponics grow system with a grow area of 600x600mm, I could fit 16-25 net pots in, at least this way I cut out buying multiple rockwool cubes and I could in theory also use it as a aeroponic cloner and give them a good start .

Yeah I took a look at your journal but I still have to have to finish reading it :).

It's getting there isn't it, one of my main faults when growing is leaving the odd open space without bud sites so at least this way I should have ever square inch covered .

I have a 50L Wilma water reservoir I'm thinking of converting into a aeroponics grow system with a grow area of 600x600mm, I could fit 16-25 net pots in, at least this way I cut out buying multiple rockwool cubes and I could in theory also use it as a aeroponic cloner and give them a good start .
Yeah i hear those wilma's are pretty good aye. I love my aeroponics for cloning but i prefer coco. I used rockwool years ago but stoped when i found out how bad it is for the enviroment.

Nothing worse that a gigantic hole in the scrog except it can be a good place for a fan in the canopy or even better drop a LED bulb down the hole. Defoliating helps a lot too aye
:yummy:

I have tried them once over but found they were not for me but if I can try and create something with what if for will be a plus :).

I'm on the lookout for another tent too, looking at the Secret Garden dual tents with 2 sides to them, one of them i I'm looking at has a 60x60 side and 60x40 on the other side so big enough for this Wilma on one side and my cloner on the other .

I hope you enjoy the rise buddy yeah I'm looking to do the same rough amount, I will for sure follow along, it's quite interesting to what we all result :).

I have finished the tent off, few minor bits like taking the stitching/zips to ensure no leaking and at the moment it's not that bad with it being early veg.

8" x 600mm pro carbon filter on a reducer to 6" , put my 4 bar T5 light above the new seedlings, still have to sort sockets out for that through the week.

Side 1: 9 Green Gelato

some of them are nearly at the first screen, depending where they are at in 10 says time I may add an extra weeks veg time on, I'm a little pushed for time especially them being a permanent fixture and I'm getting home improvements so at most I can go is 17 days from today then I must flip them to flower.

I'm planning on adding a Critical strain too this year, tried RQS version and got great results, I think a Critical sog would do really well, there buds they put out are quite the size and are like lead, look light but under the right light you can get some heavy nugs.

I'm going to buy the new Secret Jardin Lodge 100 tent it's got 2 rooms,

Room 1 is 60x60mm so big enough to fit 16 plants in at 3L size pots, I'm also thinking of running a second floor inside the tent running another 16 plants, each floor will have 75cm, pots are 20cm high, leaving me with only 55cm canopy and for the light, will QB's be okay to use?

side 2 is 40x60mm so it's big enough to fit my cloner on the shelf at the top and small plants below.

This setup I should get a harvest every 4 weeks, so if I set 16 clones to flower then take 16 clones from mothering plants at the same time, it should take a good 2 weeks for clones to take root, then another 2 weeks in pots or similar then put those 16 on the second shelf up in side 1 then repeat the cloning process again .

I am going to use my Airbomz co2 dispenser, the cans come in 1000ml tins and I plan to use 1 tin per week till week 2 of flower, then use 2 tins per week from week 3 of flower and also add another 400w of light, depending on how big the canopy is looking I may add 600w instead of 400w and also use 3 tins per week from week 5, so:

Week: veg to 2nd week of flower = 1 tin per week
Week 3-4: add an extra 400w of hps light = 2 tins per weekand
Week 5-7: add an extra 200w of hps if the canopy is dense enough for it = 3 tins per week
Week 8-9: no tins

Room 1 is 60x60mm so big enough to fit 16 plants in at 3L size pots, I'm also thinking of running a second floor inside the tent running another 16 plants, each floor will have 75cm, pots are 20cm high, leaving me with only 55cm canopy and for the light, will QB's be okay to use?
yeah those QBs are great. 1 135QBw should be enough for each 60x60 space.
I am going to use my Airbomz co2 dispenser, the cans come in 1000ml tins and I plan to use 1 tin per week till week 2 of flower, then use 2 tins per week from week 3 of flower and also add another 400w of light, depending on how big the canopy is looking I may add 600w instead of 400w and also use 3 tins per week from week 5, so:

Week: veg to 2nd week of flower = 1 tin per week
Week 3-4: add an extra 400w of hps light = 2 tins per weekand
Week 5-7: add an extra 200w of hps if the canopy is dense enough for it = 3 tins per week
Week 8-9: no tins
dunno about those cannisters aye. ive used em in the past and found no diff really. I reckon more movement is better since those Co2s work better in sealed areas..
Looks like a good setup though mate, looking forward to seeing how the QBs go for ya
:adore:

Back
Top Bottom