Tools for Members

Hi behind the scenes folks who probably deserve a lot more credit than what they actually get, how's things back there? Listen thanks for running a great website, I can't think of anything to complain about but I do have a suggestion regarding some light tools for members.

I see many new members join each day, and I see many members greet them as fast as they join. For the most part the intro's are pretty standard and repetitive. My question is this...

Can we have some sort of pre-programmed script or macro that lets us enter in certain parameters to make responses to new members quicker and more beneficial. I could add plenty to a new thread if we had some sort of alias to pull up a set sentence or paragraph and just type in something like welcome:linktowebpage and it could display something along the lines of Welcome to 420 Magazine. Your first step would be to get a journal started here #user_entered_webpageaddress.

So if I wanted that whole paragraph to show all I would type would be:
welcome:www.420magazine.com/community/forums/grow-journals.56

We could go a step further and have two user entered parameters, such as the name and web address and I would type in something along the lines of:
welcome:mrsauga,webaddress and it would display
Welcome to 420 Magazine MrSauga. Your first step would be to get a journal started here www.420magazine.com/community/forums/grow-journals.56.

If it's possible this would be a real beneficial tool for members to have, especially if you had many preset scripts where several different areas are covererd.

Thanks.

Create a thread that states everything you wish your canned introduction to "say." Then, if you want to welcome new members but don't wish to take the time to do so personally (or just don't have the time), you can simply paste the link using the Insert Link tool in the message entry box, and using whatever text you feel is appropriate - such as, "Hi, new user, please click here for an introduction to the forum, a "roadmap," and a few quick tips/suggestions."

I'm sure that you could easily have a staff member "close" such a thread so that it didn't get cluttered up with replies from established members commenting on your text, links to useful threads (forum guidelines, how to create a .SIG, how to post images, the How to Grow "Marijuana" mega-FAQ, et cetera), and whatever else you end up putting into it.

What I'd like to see done in regards to new accounts is to require each one to post in the Introductory section before being given site-wide posting permission. I'd even be willing to volunteer some time for moderation duty (read the post, then "approve" the member for general posting).

Why? It'd cut down on some spambot activity. In practical terms, It would virtually eliminate the stuff in the rest of the forum, IMHO. I feel it'd also provide two benefits: First, all the spambot account posts would be in one "place," so it'd be easier to deal with. And I think it would tend to ensure that every new member got some sort of recognition after joining. Yes, there'd be some effort added - but I should imagine that the benefits (and, perhaps, the lessening of required "spambot watch" effort across the rest of the forum would more than make up for the amount of effort) ; also, people who chose to volunteer to perform this duty (or were assigned to it by the boss) could simply subscribe to ("watch") that area of the forum and choose to receive instant email updates on activity within it. Which, again, seems like it would reduce the overall effort required for spambot patrol.

But the above is merely my opinion and thoughts on the subject.

Then, if you want to welcome new members but don't wish to take the time to do so personally (or just don't have the time), you can simply paste the link using the Insert Link tool in the message entry box, and using whatever text you feel is appropriate - such as, "Hi, new user, please click here for an introduction to the forum, a "roadmap," and a few quick tips/suggestions."
Well my intention was not to be taken as not having a personal touch. Many times I will respond to a new member with a few details based on each post. If there is a response from a new member to my post then it becomes more personal.
I sort of like your idea of creating a personal thread but it still leads to back and forth or opening another tab to have it accessible. Typically a few keystrokes are quicker imho.

I love the idea about the Introduction posts first. I could see a decline in enrollment but whether it's enough to justify not implementing it I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback.

I meant to not imply any criticism with my post, by the way. I saw yours as an effort to do something for people - and I always appreciate that, whether or not I stand to personally benefit.

I used to think that enabling the option to require an initial post by new members would be a big turnoff. And it would, I suppose, cause some non-zero number of them to not bother continuing with the process. But one of the forums that I used to staff at was also a large one in terms of members, and we implemented something of this nature. Didn't appear to slow the flood any (although, of course, this is not entirely possible to quantify). We did our best to make the members feel welcome, to explain the why of the thing, and it was another "hobby +" forum (nothing cannabis-related) - which meant that people were highly motivated to be there in the first place. Just like... well, you know... here ;) .

But, again, just my opinion. @420 has been running this forum for a long time now, and I'll trust his judgment on the matter, lol. I don't recall whether or not this kind of thing has ever been implemented here, but I'd guess that he's probably thought about it "once or twice." He has to balance things such as current members, potential new members, benefits vs. disadvantages, and the additional (or, possibly, lessened) staff workload involved. I only have my thoughts and past experiences to work from, while he has the benefit of having put in hours' of work pretty much every day since the inception of the forum, and is able to observe both the public spaces and the "back room" ones.

:thanks: MrSauga

I have made a report of your suggestion. Give us some time to think about it.

Your welcomes to new members are much appreciated. :Namaste:

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your suggestions. Good ideas. :thumb:

We have considered, cogitated and now created a new thread that you can link to in any welcome posts you make to new members.

I'm going to PM the link to others who regularly are kind enough to make welcome posts.

Helpful Links For New Members

:circle-of-love:

Create a thread that states everything you wish your canned introduction to "say." Then, if you want to welcome new members but don't wish to take the time to do so personally (or just don't have the time), you can simply paste the link using the Insert Link tool in the message entry box, and using whatever text you feel is appropriate - such as, "Hi, new user, please click here for an introduction to the forum, a "roadmap," and a few quick tips/suggestions."
So...after seeing a perfect example today of a 'canned' message I can honestly say it seems so phony. I have to agree with you now that a repetitive welcome message is not the way to go. I am already tired of reading the same post 6 times in different threads by this user, lol.
Anyhow, what Teddy did has worked great for me and many others from what I have seen and read in posts so far.

The only issue I have with canned messages, is that the links are often not updated. This is very difficult for newbies to the list.

That's a good point in general. I've learned that, with more and more states legalizing for medicinal use, we get the occasional new member who is not only new to cannabis, but is new to interacting on the Internet and using/navigating forums and, possibly, might equate "the Internet" with their web browser. Such a person might panic at a "404" error.

Rob and the staff here try hard to ensure that our links don't go dead, so if you ever happen upon one that no longer works, please use the post's "Report Post" function to make them aware of it.

So...after seeing a perfect example today of a 'canned' message I can honestly say it seems so phony. I have to agree with you now that a repetitive welcome message is not the way to go. I am already tired of reading the same post 6 times in different threads by this user, lol.
Anyhow, what Teddy did has worked great for me and many others from what I have seen and read in posts so far.

I agree MrS. I am on another forum for GTA online racing and every new member there gets the same canned welcome from an admin. IMO you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling of truly being welcome when you realize it is the exact same welcome everbody else gets word for word.

Back
Top Bottom