Total Noob: 1st Grow, Train Wreck Autoflower

Look at the calyx on the top flowers.

This is the calyx right? You’re saying check the trichomes there? They still seem kinda clear. I’m really hoping I’m not misreading the signs and past harvest, but I don’t think so

Attachments

• DFC8EAF5-9690-4035-8AE6-95A75FC34EC5.jpeg
    DFC8EAF5-9690-4035-8AE6-95A75FC34EC5.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 59
So I’m on Day 81. It’s awesome seeing how frosty this one plant is! It’s covereddddd in trichomes. Looking really good!

So tonight I gave just regular pH balanced water, no nutes. I’m having a hard time distinguishing the perfect time to quit giving nutes and only water.

Also having a hard time looking at the trichomes even though I have the jewelers loupe. I feel like they are starting to get cloudy though, but definitely not ALL of them. Should I give nutes and wait a little linger do you think?

@FoNz @Emilya

Attachments

• 1677E863-5CFD-4303-A5FC-87864A5D9DA8.jpeg
    1677E863-5CFD-4303-A5FC-87864A5D9DA8.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 63
This looks to be almost done... you should be spotting a couple of amber trichomes here and there by now. If your goal is to flush at the end, as soon as I spotted the first amber, I would flush and then give water only from then on. Now that I am an organic farmer and can not stop giving nutes (it is in the soil), I no longer flush.
So why do we flush? Is it really to get rid of the nutes for better taste? My experience says that is not it. In a synthetic grow, salts build up in the soil as the nutes break down. Toward the end of flower, most of us are giving nutes pretty heavily, and as a result a lot of salts build up. Salt restricts water uptake, and massive water uptake is what is building those buds and piling on trichomes at the end. A flush... a real 3x the container sized flush, is useful at this point to clear out the salt and allow the plant to uptake the very most water possible.

This looks to be almost done... you should be spotting a couple of amber trichomes here and there by now. If your goal is to flush at the end, as soon as I spotted the first amber, I would flush and then give water only from then on. Now that I am an organic farmer and can not stop giving nutes (it is in the soil), I no longer flush.
So why do we flush? Is it really to get rid of the nutes for better taste? My experience says that is not it. In a synthetic grow, salts build up in the soil as the nutes break down. Toward the end of flower, most of us are giving nutes pretty heavily, and as a result a lot of salts build up. Salt restricts water uptake, and massive water uptake is what is building those buds and piling on trichomes at the end. A flush... a real 3x the container sized flush, is useful at this point to clear out the salt and allow the plant to uptake the very most water possible.
Thanks so much!!!

So I have spotted a few amber trichomes, yes.
You’d suggest doing a real 15 gallon/pot of water flush tomorrow, then just regular water for the next 7-10 days? Do I water more frequently or continue the dry/wet cycle.

Sorry for all the questions! Learning tons

Thanks so much!!!

So I have spotted a few amber trichomes, yes.
You’d suggest doing a real 15 gallon/pot of water flush tomorrow, then just regular water for the next 7-10 days? Do I water more frequently or continue the dry/wet cycle.

Sorry for all the questions! Learning tons
In flower we should water more often than we do in veg. Veg is all about building roots, and to do that you ration the water, forcing the container to go dry between waterings and enticing the roots to grow searching for more water. When we get to flower, it is time to use those roots, and see how much water we can get the plant to take and it is not as important to dry out the container... in flower I try to find and establish this natural rhythm that the roots set up in that container. By this, I mean trying to determine how much water the plant uses per day, and at least every couple of days providing that water... never seeking to actually go bone dry as we do in veg and definitely watering more frequently during flower.

In flower we should water more often than we do in veg. Veg is all about building roots, and to do that you ration the water, forcing the container to go dry between waterings and enticing the roots to grow searching for more water. When we get to flower, it is time to use those roots, and see how much water we can get the plant to take and it is not as important to dry out the container... in flower I try to find and establish this natural rhythm that the roots set up in that container. By this, I mean trying to determine how much water the plant uses per day, and at least every couple of days providing that water... never seeking to actually go bone dry as we do in veg and definitely watering more frequently during flower.
Yikes... well maybe I found my problem hahaha. I continued to do the wet/dry cycle the entire time.

You might want to search deeper into my watering thread to find where I too had a revelation... and realized that we needed to water differently in flower. As I work on my upcoming book I realize that there is a need to rewrite my entire sticky watering article, so as to not confuse and to provide clear instructions for bloom, smart pots, autos, etc. My profound apologies if my article led you astray in any way.
:sorry:

You might want to search deeper into my watering thread to find where I too had a revelation... and realized that we needed to water differently in flower. As I work on my upcoming book I realize that there is a need to rewrite my entire sticky watering article, so as to not confuse and to provide clear instructions for bloom, smart pots, autos, etc. My profound apologies if my article led you astray in any way.
:sorry:
Haha not at all! I think my plants will survive the entire time til harvest (HOPE so, it's just a week or two away). It's cool though, you learn sooo much that you can apply to your next grow. Looking forward to improving!

So these are “popcorn” nuggs I hear everybody talking about? When I look at them, they don’t look like anything at all. I feel like I’ll end up just tossing them or something. Such small leaves and barely any trichomes.

What do people normally do with them?

Attachments

• 7F0BEDAD-70F5-48E6-BD37-F6CA185FE280.jpeg
    7F0BEDAD-70F5-48E6-BD37-F6CA185FE280.jpeg
    803.4 KB · Views: 55
  • B1F16791-7D34-44BE-9DEB-182EB7AAF3E4.jpeg
    B1F16791-7D34-44BE-9DEB-182EB7AAF3E4.jpeg
    665.2 KB · Views: 64
So this is the “purple stem” plant, unlike the other plant where it’s all green. This one, though, is suppppper frosty and smells WAY more. This plant will certainly be the better of the two.

@Emilya here are pics of that big, weird cola we looked at earlier

Attachments

• 4117726B-3C99-49D2-9D8D-4157748751D0.jpeg
    4117726B-3C99-49D2-9D8D-4157748751D0.jpeg
    893.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 7421DE00-6EE8-4591-B0D9-84A6ECFE1012.jpeg
    7421DE00-6EE8-4591-B0D9-84A6ECFE1012.jpeg
    889.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 948A84A7-7A95-4197-98E8-57C93908A4FA.jpeg
    948A84A7-7A95-4197-98E8-57C93908A4FA.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 869D1A2B-DB00-4952-A0AD-B495C9ABBD7C.jpeg
    869D1A2B-DB00-4952-A0AD-B495C9ABBD7C.jpeg
    597.9 KB · Views: 65
So these are “popcorn” nuggs I hear everybody talking about? When I look at them, they don’t look like anything at all. I feel like I’ll end up just tossing them or something. Such small leaves and barely any trichomes.

What do people normally do with them?
They are the first ones I pick off to quick dry and sample near the end of flower. In that alone they are useful. These lower popcorn buds if they have proper light and air will usually ripen first and I find that adding them along with the product at the top gives me a nice overall mix in the jar/bag. Their weight is real, and for that reason they are useful, either as additional bag weight or as additional product going into edibles. Some people regularly trim all of this off, thinking that this concentrates all of the plant's energy in the top buds... it just depends on your growing style I guess. I find that in the end, all the parts of this plant are usable in some way or another.

Alright, can somebody take a look at my plan for the next 2 weeks and give some suggestions/confirm I'm understanding correctly?

In about 1 week from now, I should see about 30% amber trichomes, at which point I'll start the harvesting process.
After reading about the differences between wet/dry trimming, I think I might do some kind of hybrid? I planned on removing all the fan leaves by hand, then hang the entire plant up to dry.
I wait about 7-10 days maybe (50% humidity, ~70 degrees in a dark place with air circulation) and wait until the stems snap/bend.
Once they do that, I plan on trimming where necessary
Place buds in a sealed, air tight jar - filled about 80% of the way. For the first week, burp every 8-12 hours.

I think I got that right. What are your opinions on the trimming?

Back
Top Bottom