Treating Sciatica Pain With Cannabis? Share Your Regimen, Please

I have a friend suffering with sciatica pain. It hurts my heart to see him hurting, and to witness the limitations this once-active man has been forced into by chronic pain.

It got me to wondering how you might be treating sciatica with cannabis? He’s been resistant to try my oils, and I’m thinking if I can offer him some concrete ideas for managing this condition from those who actually live with the same pain he might listen.

If you or a loved one are using cannabis to find relief from sciatica or related conditions won’t you consider sharing with us your regimen and what you’ve learned?

There are more people than my friend who’ll benefit from the time you take to share. :circle-of-love:

I thank you in advance. May my friend be in a position to thank you himself before we’re through. :green_heart:

Got it, I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I was using Tylenol 3s, up to 12 per day during flare-ups before my family physician stopped prescribing any controlled substances. :(

Now I'm using cannabis. Crop King Seeds' Crown Royale dulls the pain enough to get a relatively decent night's sleep. I started with 150mg or 250mg ground decarbed flower in size two or zero capsules, depending on the pain level, a couple of hours before I went to bed. Now I use rosin with the same amount of cannabinoids in the same size capsules as the strength of those with dried flower varied quite a bit.

I'm a lightweight where drugs are concerned. I rather feel some pain than leave my wits behind.

I've been dealing with this for about forty years. What worked to reduce the symptoms, and the frequency/length of flare-ups was lower back exercises as prescribed by a physiotherapist. They strengthened my lower back, and I continue doing them to this day.

Early on I was prescribed buffered ASA tablets at four times the maximum dosage to deal with the pain. I was also prescribed virtually all the available muscle relaxants at one time or another. The military attitude was 'take two asprin and get back to work.' From the time I left the military, until my family physician stopped prescribing them, the pain has been dealt with using opioids from Tylenol 3s to Percocets. I have found that hammering it with pain killers, and relaxing/sleeping as much as possible at the first sign of a flare-up reduces the time needed to get back to what has become my 'normal.' That is a constant level 2-3 on the NIPC pain scale.

Here's hoping your friend takes control of his sciatica.

I have a friend suffering with sciatica pain. It hurts my heart to see him hurting, and to witness the limitations this once-active man has been forced into by chronic pain.

It got me to wondering how you might be treating sciatica with cannabis? He’s been resistant to try my oils, and I’m thinking if I can offer him some concrete ideas for managing this condition from those who actually live with the same pain he might listen.

If you or a loved one are using cannabis to find relief from sciatica or related conditions won’t you consider sharing with us your regimen and what you’ve learned?

There are more people than my friend who’ll benefit from the time you take to share. :circle-of-love:

I thank you in advance. May my friend be in a position to thank you himself before we’re through. :green_heart:

i'll make this easy for you. you can't. you just can't. i'm sorry to sound like this but myself and my brother both have degenerative disc disease / disorder? lol. either way, when it hits there's nothing short of strong drugs that will dull that pain. my brother quit smoking grass for a while after he opened his business, but started again after his back went out on him, and even with low tolerance there was nothing the weed could do. he's now trying to get booked for surgery.

for myself the only thing that will prevent my back pain is a very, very strong back and that means lots of exercise. it sucks but it's gotta be done.

maybe edibles, but as soon as there's a slight bit of tolerance to it, it won't help. Sciatica is just too painful for herbal relief. being stoned helps keep the depression and anger in check when you're trudging around in pain all day every day, so there's that lol.

So neither of you have tried suppositories? Would either of you be open to trying suppositories? Word out there in the membership is that this administration path dulls lower back pain in a way nothing else did. It’s not a popular path, but may be worth exploring, just to see if it works.

And thank you for the input. I’ll fill my friend in.

No relief from a triple-strength topicals? I’m always looking guys. Always looking. :hug::hug::hug:

Word out there in the membership is that this administration path dulls lower back pain in a way nothing else did.

I believe it, but I'd need to be driven to that method by pain that can't be treated by taking it orally. It's an option if I have another severe flare up. I do use capsules (size 0 & 2), so shifting from the entrance to the exit wouldn't be a problem.

The 2µl micro pipetter for my analysis kit showed up today, so I can start testing for profiles and potency. All of a sudden mixing rosins from various strains to get a desired cannabinoid profile and potency is open to me. I think I'll get a 100-1000µl micro pipetter to fill the capsules.

So neither of you have tried suppositories? Would either of you be open to trying suppositories? Word out there in the membership is that this administration path dulls lower back pain in a way nothing else did. It’s not a popular path, but may be worth exploring, just to see if it works.

And thank you for the input. I’ll fill my friend in.

No relief from a triple-strength topicals? I’m always looking guys. Always looking. :hug::hug::hug:

I've never heard of butt weed, but i've been in enough pain at times that i'd try anything, even butt weed. hell, especially butt weed lol. " I'll fill my friend in" :rofl: good one!!!

I believe it, but I'd need to be driven to that method by pain that can't be treated by taking it orally. It's an option if I have another severe flare up. I do use capsules (size 0 & 2), so shifting from the entrance to the exit wouldn't be a problem.

The 2µl micro pipetter for my analysis kit showed up today, so I can start testing for profiles and potency. All of a sudden mixing rosins from various strains to get a desired cannabinoid profile and potency is open to me. I think I'll get a 100-1000µl micro pipetter to fill the capsules.

Sweet! :high-five:

I've never heard of butt weed, but i've been in enough pain at times that i'd try anything, even butt weed. hell, especially butt weed lol. " I'll fill my friend in" :rofl: good one!!!

It’s easier to do than you’d think, using capsules. Kingston Rabbi did a special thread to help others overcome the angst.

How to take a CCO capsule suppository

This thread shows you how to increase bioavailability, so you can use less cannabis oil for the same or better effect.

Biobomb: Cannabis Oil With A Kick

Clinical data suggests a 1:1 for chronic pain. I’m thinking that’d be a good place to start, and my recent experience with mixing ratios of bud leads me to believe a 1:2 CBD:THC May be one to explore for pain management. It really intensified the buzz.

It’s easier to do than you’d think, using capsules. Kingston Rabbi did a special thread to help others overcome the angst.

How to take a CCO capsule suppository

This thread shows you how to increase bioavailability, so you can use less cannabis oil for the same or better effect.

Biobomb: Cannabis Oil With A Kick

Clinical data suggests a 1:1 for chronic pain. I’m thinking that’d be a good place to start, and my recent experience with mixing ratios of bud leads me to believe a 1:2 CBD:THC May be one to explore for pain management. It really intensified the buzz.

although i was kidding around i would absolutely try it if i was hurting enough. i'm gonna talk to my brother about it for sure. Thank you for the links, i was wondering earlier how it would be administered.

Medical marijuana iѕ increasingly bесоming a preferred treatment fоr patients with chronic sciatica. Sciatica refers tо pain, weakness, numbness, оr tingling in thе leg. It iѕ caused bу injury causing pressure оn thе sciatic nerve. Sciatica iѕ a symptom оf аnоthеr medical problem, nоt a medical condition оn itѕ own. Sciatica originates in thе lower back аnd travel thrоugh thе buttock аnd dоwn thе large sciatic nerve in thе back оf еасh leg. Medical marijuana саn bе аn alternative medicine fоr sciatica, аnd it dоеѕ nоt hаvе thе ѕаmе ѕidе effects association with traditionally chronic pain medications.

Sciatica is often caused by compressed or ruptured discs in the lower back. It can often be caused by degenerated discs as we age. Mine started due to compressed or ruptured discs in my mid twenties. These were usually caused by 'storing ship,' when you had to twist your back to accept and thrust 30Kg boxes of food to get them aboard. We did not have the time to properly move our feet. It kept getting worse, such that while standing my body weight is enough to compress the discs and cause the pain.

The most embarrassing incident for my superiors occurred towards the end of my military career. I was voluntold the position of Guard Petty Officer was mine. At the change of command ceremony for our Navy, after standing at attention or ease for 45 minutes the symptoms started. First, the tingling down my left leg. Then the pain followed the same route. Next my right leg went through the same process. The pain kept escalating, as I was not able to assume another position. I finally had to take a knee, and call for a replacement. The admiral was mortified that a senior member of HIS Guard had to be replacced during HIS ceremony. He wanted me charged with dereliction of duty. I shrugged it off, and sent evidence to his aide that I had informed my superiors of my condition, and told them that this would be a likely result. The charges were dropped, but my none of my superiors both the commissioned officers, and the non-commissioned members ever advanced in rank.

Medical marijuana iѕ increasingly bесоming a preferred treatment fоr patients with chronic sciatica. Sciatica refers tо pain, weakness, numbness, оr tingling in thе leg. It iѕ caused bу injury causing pressure оn thе sciatic nerve. Sciatica iѕ a symptom оf аnоthеr medical problem, nоt a medical condition оn itѕ own. Sciatica originates in thе lower back аnd travel thrоugh thе buttock аnd dоwn thе large sciatic nerve in thе back оf еасh leg. Medical marijuana саn bе аn alternative medicine fоr sciatica, аnd it dоеѕ nоt hаvе thе ѕаmе ѕidе effects association with traditionally chronic pain medications.

Pamela, can you elaborate on how this treatment is being administered, and any particulars on dosing?

Sciatica is often caused by compressed or ruptured discs in the lower back. It can often be caused by degenerated discs as we age. Mine started due to compressed or ruptured discs in my mid twenties. These were usually caused by 'storing ship,' when you had to twist your back to accept and thrust 30Kg boxes of food to get them aboard. We did not have the time to properly move our feet. It kept getting worse, such that while standing my body weight is enough to compress the discs and cause the pain.

The most embarrassing incident for my superiors occurred towards the end of my military career. I was voluntold the position of Guard Petty Officer was mine. At the change of command ceremony for our Navy, after standing at attention or ease for 45 minutes the symptoms started. First, the tingling down my left leg. Then the pain followed the same route. Next my right leg went through the same process. The pain kept escalating, as I was not able to assume another position. I finally had to take a knee, and call for a replacement. The admiral was mortified that a senior member of HIS Guard had to be replacced during HIS ceremony. He wanted me charged with dereliction of duty. I shrugged it off, and sent evidence to his aide that I had informed my superiors of my condition, and told them that this would be a likely result. The charges were dropped, but my none of my superiors both the commissioned officers, and the non-commissioned members ever advanced in rank.

Geez..... they were the petty ones. :hug:

i'll make this easy for you. you can't. you just can't. i'm sorry to sound like this but myself and my brother both have degenerative disc disease / disorder? lol. either way, when it hits there's nothing short of strong drugs that will dull that pain. my brother quit smoking grass for a while after he opened his business, but started again after his back went out on him, and even with low tolerance there was nothing the weed could do. he's now trying to get booked for surgery.

for myself the only thing that will prevent my back pain is a very, very strong back and that means lots of exercise. it sucks but it's gotta be done.

maybe edibles, but as soon as there's a slight bit of tolerance to it, it won't help. Sciatica is just too painful for herbal relief. being stoned helps keep the depression and anger in check when you're trudging around in pain all day every day, so there's that lol.

I don't intend to be "that guy", but here goes:

First, thanks for contributing. It's important to know how difficult pain is to treat at times.

Next I want to point out that there is a difference between sciatica and radiculopathy though the symptoms are nearly identical and there is overlap. Radiculopathy is always caused by nerve root compression, often from a bulging or degenerated disc, bone spur, or other process that causes the compression of the nerve root. Sciatica is caused by those processes and other processes that do not involve the nerve root at all, such as neuropathy, inflammation, spinal stenosis, or piriformis syndrome.

The reason that matters is that some conditions will respond differently than others to different treatments. For instance, while heat may help by relaxing muscles and help an inflammatory condition causing muscle spasms that make sciatica worse heat may make other conditions worse. Also, while topicals might help some of these conditions topicals may not help as well in others.

Generally I've known for topicals to be somewhat effective for sciatica but less so for radiculopathy. A sufficiently infused lotion with grape seed and/or pumpkin seed oils could be helpful and has helped some. Stronger formulations taken orally or otherwise, including concentrations like Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) have been more effective for radiculopathy in my limited experience. Some have come completely off very strong opioids and found cannabis to be more effective for their pain with less side effects, giving a higher quality of life.

While nothing can assure a pain free existence (which in most cases is too lofty a goal to begin with), cannabis can help with these conditions when used in sufficient quantities and by the route(s) that work best for the individual. That does take some experimentation.

Alafornia is right that it doesn't make you pain free. I have had degenerative disc disease, and sciatica for over forty years. Five years ago I added spinal stenosis to my list of problems. No pain killer, cannabis, opioid or other has killed the pain, however they have dropped the level from excruciating to bearable. I currently am using strong balanced cannabis capsules of 40mg CBD and THC to keep it that way.

I don't intend to be "that guy", but here goes:

First, thanks for contributing. It's important to know how difficult pain is to treat at times.

Next I want to point out that there is a difference between sciatica and radiculopathy though the symptoms are nearly identical and there is overlap. Radiculopathy is always caused by nerve root compression, often from a bulging or degenerated disc, bone spur, or other process that causes the compression of the nerve root. Sciatica is caused by those processes and other processes that do not involve the nerve root at all, such as neuropathy, inflammation, spinal stenosis, or piriformis syndrome.

The reason that matters is that some conditions will respond differently than others to different treatments. For instance, while heat may help by relaxing muscles and help an inflammatory condition causing muscle spasms that make sciatica worse heat may make other conditions worse. Also, while topicals might help some of these conditions topicals may not help as well in others.

Generally I've known for topicals to be somewhat effective for sciatica but less so for radiculopathy. A sufficiently infused lotion with grape seed and/or pumpkin seed oils could be helpful and has helped some. Stronger formulations taken orally or otherwise, including concentrations like Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) have been more effective for radiculopathy in my limited experience. Some have come completely off very strong opioids and found cannabis to be more effective for their pain with less side effects, giving a higher quality of life.

While nothing can assure a pain free existence (which in most cases is too lofty a goal to begin with), cannabis can help with these conditions when used in sufficient quantities and by the route(s) that work best for the individual. That does take some experimentation.
i'm bookmarking this post. thank you.
I think you nailed it, and i've never heard it described like that before. i guess i have radiculopathy. I know that daily stretching of the piriformis helps keep things loose. maybe i got the syndrome.

the weird thing about it for me is that it hit me when i was 21 and hard, i was laid out for over a week and couldn't even put on socks. then just randomly it was happen but not always so bad. i've had about 4 instances in 20 years that actually put me down. other than that it's just constant nagging pain thats about a 3 or 4. but you get used to it and carry on.

i'm very carful not to lift too much and when i was working out a bit i had no pain at all. of course i don't know how to work out properly and gibbled my elbows and can't really do that much now.

made a new year resolution to start planks again but haven't done any yet. maybe today's the day to start.

Thank you gentlemen. I’ll strike up that conversation with my friend equipped with better understanding. He tells me his pain is a thinning of the passage the nerve runs through caused by overactive bone formation.

So far he’s been resistant to trying even topicals, always responding with “I’ve tried everything.” :straightface: I can understand his frustration with trying and failing. There’s a wording that’ll peak his interest, I’m sure of it. We’ll find it together.

I never promise pain free or healing. The entire goal of a healing modality is simple - Relief. Cannabis offers a unique form of relief.

I played around with suppositories recently and was stunned to get the level of relief I did. I had a nagging pain on the left iliac ridge that’s bothered me for years. Within four doses that pain appears to have melted away. I didn’t even notice for days that it hadn’t returned.

I don’t really know what to make of the fact that it appears to have relaxed that tightness enough to relieve me of that persistent pain, but it really opened my eyes to he potential of coconut oil and cannabis suppositories to treat back pain.

Have any of you tried suppositories for this particular pain? Asking someone to try shoving medicine up their butt is kinda a hard sell. :laughtwo:

I think you nailed it, and i've never heard it described like that before. i guess i have radiculopathy. I know that daily stretching of the piriformis helps keep things loose. maybe i got the syndrome.

the weird thing about it for me is that it hit me when i was 21 and hard, i was laid out for over a week and couldn't even put on socks. then just randomly it was happen but not always so bad. i've had about 4 instances in 20 years that actually put me down. other than that it's just constant nagging pain thats about a 3 or 4. but you get used to it and carry on.

i'm very carful not to lift too much and when i was working out a bit i had no pain at all. of course i don't know how to work out properly and gibbled my elbows and can't really do that much now.

made a new year resolution to start planks again but haven't done any yet. maybe today's the day to start.

I can plank for a solid minute before it starts to demolish my dorm. Lol! Outdo me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Look into a fitness program called Callanetics. It builds core strength in a way nothing I’ve seen does with absolutely no impact. It was developed by a woman who refused to believe she’d be confined to a wheelchair with degenerative disc disease and lived a vibrant and active life into her 90s.

There’s a community online with a $10 monthly subscription - worth every penny, and they’ll let you play there free for five days to get a feel.

Strong abs make strong backs. Callanetics has kept my body strong for decades, even when I fell off for months on end.

I strongly recommend visiting a physiotherapist to get started. Doing too much, too soon only aggravates physical problems. It took me six months to get from barely able to walk around a block, to riding a century (100miles or 163Km) in a day. That ride came four years after my heart attack, and four years of being too scared to do anything, I developed angina due to the lack of physical activity.

Something else I highly recommend is finding a reason outside yourself to improve your physical condition. Mine was that I had too much left to pass on to my grandchildren. I did it for them, not me, and that kept me focused on my goals.

I strongly recommend visiting a physiotherapist to get started. Doing too much, too soon only aggravates physical problems. It took me six months to get from barely able to walk around a block, to riding a century (100miles or 163Km) in a day. That ride came four years after my heart attack, and four years of being too scared to do anything, I developed angina due to the lack of physical activity.

Something else I highly recommend is finding a reason outside yourself to improve your physical condition. Mine was that I had too much left to pass on to my grandchildren. I did it for them, not me, and that kept me focused on my goals.

Excellent advice. :hug:

Osteopathy can make a meaningful difference to your enjoyment of life.
Give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom