Veg Question

Hi there :)

Short version of my question: what age in days do you both veg and flower - just a ballpark average.

Long version of my question: I am struggling to get my perpetual right. My 2022 grow goal is to master when to plant seeds in order to have an in, out, harvest, rinse repeat action plan. This plan will involve two veg plants and two flower plants.

I know every plant veg time is different and their flower time is different, but if you had to average it out, what is a good amount of time a plant should stay in days of veg, and what is a good average of days in flower?

My final pots will be 20L (5.2 gallons for people who don’t measure liquid the way god intended).

I absolutely ruined my last attempt at flower, and I currently have too many plants for the amount of flower lights I have. I have 2 lights and 4 plants. It can be done, but it’s just not ideal. Going forward after these are done I want 2:2. The only saving grace is the flowering plants are staggered. One is 3 weeks, one is 1 week, and I’m flipping two veggers on Sunday.

I wanted to flip two plants in order to plant two new seeds (which I’m so excited about) to start my perpetual goal, but I see now there might be a flaw in my plan. I have a few options. I could delay the seeds, and use my veg tent as a flower tent, which would mean less share room in my flower room, and focus on getting the 4 through flower. I just want two veggers ready to flip once the flower plants are cooked. Any ideas on how I can attain this?

Any feedback or advice is welcome.

I don't run a perpetual grow, so i might be way off base here...

Only advice I could give would be sprout the seeds for the next round just before you move the 2 you have in veg to flower.
I like to veg at least 60 days for indoor plants, and an average flowering strain should run you a bit more than that.
I was under the impression that most perpetual growers use clones from a mother they keep so they can dial in veg and flower times exactly.

I don't run a perpetual grow, so i might be way off base here...

Only advice I could give would be sprout the seeds for the next round just before you move the 2 you have in veg to flower.
I like to veg at least 60 days for indoor plants, and an average flowering strain should run you a bit more than that.
I was under the impression that most perpetual growers use clones from a mother they keep so they can dial in veg and flower times exactly.
Good morning Mel

I think if I do that I will have problems.

It’s just like I thought. You flower longer than veg, so to make it perpetual I need to delay veg really.

Oh I didn’t know that. I am using the word perpetual in the sense I want to be able to have plants ready to flip after each harvest.

Maybe wait 3 weeks then?

I like your idea, instead of all one mother you popping seeds for one perpetual grow... right?
I think I will use a mix of the two.

If it’s a plant I really love, I’ll clone, and seed. But my goal is 2 veg, 2, flower. I end up with too many plants and not doing any justice. I really struggle to both know when to flip, and to get a plant to proper flower without ruining her.

Depends on so many different things. Veg for 6 weeks on the average, if you're a big plant kinda guy like me. I count cloning taking 2 weeks (roots + transplant stress period). Flowering (weeks): 7+2 for indis, 10+1 for hybrids and 11 to 12 + satis.
1 week for drying and cleaning.

Depending mostly on grow height and space you have, you can have the 2 upcoming plants grown like mothers, means you can pop them all at the same time and move ones into flower space and others in the veg space. Once your flowering has ended, you switch from veg area to flower and pop 2 new ones.

The key is growing the 2 veg plants and putting them in nute induced hibernation.

Depends on so many different things. Veg for 6 weeks on the average, if you're a big plant kinda guy like me. I count cloning taking 2 weeks (roots + transplant stress period). Flowering (weeks): 7+2 for indis, 10+1 for hybrids and 11 to 12 + satis.
1 week for drying and cleaning.

Depending mostly on grow height and space you have, you can have the 2 upcoming plants grown like mothers, means you can pop them all at the same time and move ones into flower space and others in the veg space. Once your flowering has ended, you switch from veg area to flower and pop 2 new ones.

The key is growing the 2 veg plants and putting them in nute induced hibernation.
Hi there

Thanks for your reply :)

I’m looking for medium size. Too big get away in me coz I have an indoor outdoor grow, and I carry them out in the sun in the morning, and bring them in and finish under lights in the arvo.

What does hybrid mean when it comes to pants? And you’re right, I didn’t take into account the strike clone extra time.

The problem there is my flower area is larger than my veg. My flower area also has no light leaks, where my veg area does.

I don’t understand nute induced hibernation.

Hybrid means genetics it's parents have. Genetics effect everything in the plants, hybrids tend to be more volatile phenotype wise. You can pop a seed with 75% indica parents and end up with a sativa pheno that likes to flower for almost double that of its' indica parents, yet less than its' sativa grandparent. And so on.

Hybrids also tend to have specific feats that have been bred by trial & error, giving them all the wanted smoke effects without the unwanted ones. I think two of the most famous ones are Jack Herrer and Skunk. Girl Scout Cookies and Ed Rosenthal's Super Bud would be another set. I suggest to read about those strains and the impact on the mainstream & UG culture they gave.

The hibernation is achieved with a mixture of nutrients that tells the plant not to grow & enter a "hold still" phase.

All in all, every seed is a totally different plant, even if it's from the same bag or mother. They have different needs (nutes, lights, enviorment) and that's why it isn't that efficient versus cloned ones. They do however need you to have a fifth plant purely to give you clones. Cloning clones is another option, but within 3-4 generations the plants might start turning freakish, but it all depends on its' genetics and resistance to dna degradion.

If you have around 2' x 2' area for vegging, you can easily house 3 plants in it.

Omg I’m not really a researcher type grower. I’m more an asker and have the growers in here give their opinions. I do try to read up, but my eyeballs just find it so boring they won’t absorb the words and my brain will randomly Tourette’s “Shakira Shakira” then I will Homer Simpson zen out. I find if I read it from a fellow poster, my eyeballs engage and my brain stays interested.

I’m not great with nutes either. I use Tega Brop *taps nose* I am talkin bout Mega Crop I find that’s the best nute for me, though I’m stressing about being able to get more.

I’m not sure how big my veg tent is tbh. I’d have to look back. I can veg 3 while they are small of course, but once they hit those 20L pots, two is the max.

My main goal is to get a better handle on perpetualling.

The wonder of this research is that you can find one of the bands that name any of the above named strains as a source of inspiration, take their vinyl from the shelf and pop it in the player, relax and let the band tell you how they describe it through their instruments, heh.

Do you take the vegging plants outside as well?

The wonder of this research is that you can find one of the bands that name any of the above named strains as a source of inspiration, take their vinyl from the shelf and pop it in the player, relax and let the band tell you how they describe it through their instruments, heh.

Do you take the vegging plants outside as well?
I do.

They are out in the rain having their soap spray rinsed off as I type. I will bring them under lights in a sec coz it’s pissing down.

Good morning Mel

I think if I do that I will have problems.

It’s just like I thought. You flower longer than veg, so to make it perpetual I need to delay veg really.

Oh I didn’t know that. I am using the word perpetual in the sense I want to be able to have plants ready to flip after each harvest.

Maybe wait 3 weeks then?
Well, I did say "at least" 60 days. You can veg longer without too much of a problem. In fact if you're training the plant vegging longer is better.

Well, I did say "at least" 60 days. You can veg longer without too much of a problem. In fact if you're training the plant vegging longer is better.
I just don’t want to have this 4 plant pile up in the flower room again going forward.

I’m just spit balling ideas to avoid this.

What's your goal overall? Max yield per year, easiest for you etc.?

My confidence has always outweighed my ability….

What I want

Maximum yield: 5lb per plant
Time taken in Veg: exactly 4 weeks
Time taken in flower: exactly 4 weeks
Rinse then repeat

What I’d settle for

Yield: anything over 3oz per plant
Time taken Veg: 60 Days
Time taken Flower: 60- 70 Days
Rinse then repeat

Hi there :)

Short version of my question: what age in days do you both veg and flower - just a ballpark average.

Long version of my question: I am struggling to get my perpetual right. My 2022 grow goal is to master when to plant seeds in order to have an in, out, harvest, rinse repeat action plan. This plan will involve two veg plants and two flower plants.

I know every plant veg time is different and their flower time is different, but if you had to average it out, what is a good amount of time a plant should stay in days of veg, and what is a good average of days in flower?

My final pots will be 20L (5.2 gallons for people who don’t measure liquid the way god intended).

I absolutely ruined my last attempt at flower, and I currently have too many plants for the amount of flower lights I have. I have 2 lights and 4 plants. It can be done, but it’s just not ideal. Going forward after these are done I want 2:2. The only saving grace is the flowering plants are staggered. One is 3 weeks, one is 1 week, and I’m flipping two veggers on Sunday.

I wanted to flip two plants in order to plant two new seeds (which I’m so excited about) to start my perpetual goal, but I see now there might be a flaw in my plan. I have a few options. I could delay the seeds, and use my veg tent as a flower tent, which would mean less share room in my flower room, and focus on getting the 4 through flower. I just want two veggers ready to flip once the flower plants are cooked. Any ideas on how I can attain this?

Any feedback or advice is welcome.

I have recently been experimenting with 12/12 from seed because I too want to do perpetual grows and I think this is a great way to do it when you have limited space and a never ending supply of beans. I can probably get about 20 plants in the space I have and each one will harvest about 7+ grams dried (one big stick bud) not to mention variety. The bigger the container the larger the plant essentially and more bud overall. Mine have taken around 80 days from start to finish so I need to figure out the best time to start the next batch or seedlings.

Back
Top Bottom