Veg to Flower help

pinky2213

hey guys i.m looking for a little help with my first grow and I really could use a little professional guidance. I have a 5' x 5' closet grow. With 7 plants that range in height from 20" to 27" 2 of which I am sure are female according to pre flowers the other 5 really haven't shown me yet. I would like to keep them around 4" at the end of flowering and of course I would like maximum yield. I am just not sure if I should switch them to 12/12 now and see how many girls I have for sure so I can do some thinning of the heard or what. also I have vegd them under a 4' 6 tube 30,000 lumen 6500k flouro and am running co2 (if that is relevant) with the amount of space I have under the light it seems a little crowded. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. (peace):thanks:

Hi Pinky2213.

I'm not sure we've ever interacted so I'd like to start by welcoming you to 420 Magazine assuming I haven't done so previously.

I'm wondering if topping your plants is an option to assist in controlling the height? Your right to begin considering now how tall your girls will be by the end of the grow and I'm assuming you meant you desire a height of no more than 4' feet (as opposed to inches- ") as your final height.

Also wondering if you have considered a SCROG to help achieve maximum yield?

Will you be sticking with the Flouro through flower?

No I don't think we have TanR and thank you for the reply :). Yes you are right "my bad" on the " instead of ' lol. I had not really considered scrog but I think that will be my next set up. After I get these cycled out I am going to expand to the entire closet 5x10 +or-. And I have topped them all once I actually waited a little L8 I guess, it has only been about 2 weeks since I did it. I don't really know a lot about scrog so I am hesitant about setting it up on these I have now. I am just not sure wheather to put them into flower now or not. And as for my lighting, from what I can gather HID will give me a better bud density. But I am new to the whole indoor environment.

I would take cuttings from the lower growth and place your large plants into flower now. Hopefully you can remove some male cannabis plants and give the female cannabis plants more room for growth.

Pinky2213,

Sorry for the delay in reply - Yes, HID will provide better bud density and better canopy penetration allowing for even some of the lower bud sites to mature more fully. However, with the benefit comes the downside of heat. If you don't have a way to adequately vent or otherwise deal with the heat from a HID then I'd stick with the flouro and even consider getting few additional big (300 watt equivalent) CFL's that you could use as side lighting.

A scrog is a pretty simple (and beneficial) thing in that it's just a screen (I use a 2" x 2" grid) placed over top of the plants at a fixed height that allows you to easily spread the branches of your plant keeping them a uniform height and allowing the areas below to receive light. I understand not messing with it this grow since your going to expand shortly.

All things considered, I think KJC is right on in suggesting flipping to 12/12 now as during budding period your plants have the potential to double or more in height.

Be well and happy growing!

No I don't think we have TanR and thank you for the reply :). Yes you are right "my bad" on the " instead of ' lol. I had not really considered scrog but I think that will be my next set up. After I get these cycled out I am going to expand to the entire closet 5x10 +or-. And I have topped them all once I actually waited a little L8 I guess, it has only been about 2 weeks since I did it. I don't really know a lot about scrog so I am hesitant about setting it up on these I have now. I am just not sure wheather to put them into flower now or not. And as for my lighting, from what I can gather HID will give me a better bud density. But I am new to the whole indoor environment.

thanks for the reply KJC I was seriously considering that very option. ( I never imagined there were so many things to consider). But I think I am getting in the curve lol. I am sure at least two of my taller plants are F. So if I get just one more I think that will be more than enough for my space this time. if I had two more rooms I would have a bloom a veg and a clone room lol. but once again Thank You.

No worries TanR we all get distracted sometimes lol. that's probably what I am going to do and I actually have a 400 watt cfl fixture that I made when I started my grow then I bought the 4x6 flouro so I can use it for side lighting. I will have to change the Kelvin though right? And if I remember correctly I need like 2500k for flower (is that right)? And before I forget, Thank you for hittin me back.

More is always better if you can handle the heat(I like to use 50wt/per sq ft minimum )

kjc is correct take cuttings/clones and veg them out-(the clones)if your plants are female-then you have new "baby plants to veg, while momma goes into flower(I take clones as late as week 4 of flower
if it turns male,well then you just gain some cloning experience

yea I am going to set up a clone section tomorrow and get some clonex and Rockwool cubes mon. I havnt cloned b4 but I guess I have to get my feet wet sometime huh? I have seen quite a few vids on the subject so surely "I think I can I think I can" lol.

10540.JPG
110121.JPG
10835.JPG

Yeah, those are ready, pinky - get 'em into 12/12. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You can always supercrop if you have to - the 27 incher may stretch past 4 feet - those are pretty mature. The upside is they should show flowers quickly.

super cropping? that's where you bend the stem right? I have never done that but I have one now that I kept bending my colas down where I had topped it, and it has 2 knuckles there now. I was actually wondering if that would hurt her. And the 4 foot is just what I would like a nice manageable height. 5 ft wouldn't be too much of a problem either I just don't want them to get too out of hand lol. And if the pre flower pistils are telling me right as of this evening 4 are F. But one of the seven is like none I have ever seen it is one of the shorter ones. it is growing kind of slow and is not super bushy. But man it is the stoutest plant I have ever seen! I bet I could hang a roll of quarters on any branch on it and it would barely bend :)

thanks for the info KJC. And I was wondering, I have an old security light it has a 100W HPS bulb in it and it works fine. Should I use it maybe as side lighting or would I be better off putting it overhead along with my 2700k's. ik it is just 100w but dang it's bright! And the heat is not really a prob. it is winter here and if I keep my room closed off and shut the hvac vent it stays pretty cool plus I have a 1800 cfm inline scrubber running.

thank you for all your help KJC. that vid was very interesting I can remember my uncle some years back (outdoor grower). He would actually bend/break the main stalk and just let it grow along the ground. I had so forgotten about that.

Back
Top Bottom