What is causing this?

Ricod306

Good evening all, happy new year to all the fellow growoers here!!

I need some help, I recently discovered a thrip problem in my grow tent. I already tried pyrol and it didn't work. I ordered some Thripor to help remove the thrips. And they will be coming on next week Tuesday.

My question is wether or not my plants are getting nutrient burn or something because the flowering ones have these symptoms and my Amnesia haze flowers looks the worst.

I have also tried using clean ph balanced water and it still seems to worsen. It has been almost 5 days and still no recovery. I am using Aquaponics floracoco bloom and grow for nutrients and 2ml/l fulvic acid for the usual mix. I have been following my feeding schedule for almost 2 months and now suddenly my plants start looking like this, could it also be the thrips?
IMG_20201231_201541.jpg
IMG_20201231_200315.jpg
IMG_20201231_200230.jpg

As you can see the pyrol is still on the leaves and I added it just before lights out.

Well, that was going to be my 1st question, when are you spraying. You said before or after? Foliar applications should be done in the dark, right after lights out.

Did the symptoms start when you started your sprays?

I get thrips regularly outside and I use Neem with great success. Neem also doubles as a foliar fert. I use cold pressed Neem so there is mixing involved. All the Neem is absorbed by sunrise so there Is no burning issues.

Yes just before lights out and yes it started after using the pyrol come to think of it.... So the pesticide and light combination caused the burn?

We shouldn't be spraying anything on our plants with lights on. The droplets can (not always) act as little magnifying glasses and burn spots on our leaves.

I am not saying the spray itself caused it. I have never heard of pyrol. If it is oil based, it probably could have been mixed with a surfactant to break up the oil. A surfactant is just a fancy word for soap. I personally use Ecos dish soap. That's IF your stuff is oil based.

I don't think its a coincidence your issues started to arise after the introduction of a new foliar spray.

The symptoms really don't fit a deficiency I can think of.

These are new, they started recently after I took the plants outside. The first one is from a plant that started its flowering stretch but no pistols yet. The second is from a lass that has been in flowering for 2 weeks now. These have not been sprayed by any pesticide.

IMG_20210101_161443.jpg

The younger one. There are some black patches on the dead parts.
IMG_20210101_161439.jpg

The older one

These are new, they started recently after I took the plants outside. The first one is from a plant that started its flowering stretch but no pistols yet. The second is from a lass that has been in flowering for 2 weeks now. These have not been sprayed by any pesticide.

IMG_20210101_161443.jpg

The younger one. There are some black patches on the dead parts.
IMG_20210101_161439.jpg

The older one
Omg your poor girls. Damage like that Imo is pests. You may have compounded with sprays can’t say for sure but PESTS. Neem oil and soap till you can knock them down then deal with what’s left.

I've gotten Orius Laevigatus for biological pest control, some are too deep into flowering and I cant afford bud rot due to humid conditions. They are a bit more expensive but hopefully they work.

People may tell you otherwise, but I have routinely used Neem in to flowering. I stop spraying about 3 weeks before harvest. It does smell strong and the taste I imagine would be as strong, as well. Cutting off at 3 weeks is enough to allow it all to absorb and get the taste to shine through again.

I predominantly grow/grew :( outdoors. So humidity was not an issue. I did not consider foliar applications screwing with the humidity indoors...duh...i am getting there. ;) hahaha.

Thrips have a soil stage so if you're not tackling that stage then they will just keep coming back indefinitely.

I grow in 25 gallon fabric pots and keep my soil moist at all times and never ever use anything that even resembles a pesticide so you would think that I would have the 7 plagues of every critter known to man.
Yet I haven't seen a single fungus gnat, thrip, aphid, etc in 3 years.
I'm pretty sure the reason for this are the 1000s of Rove Beetles i have patrolling my pots.
Every soil borne critter has no chance as long as I keep a healthy population of Rove Beetles.

Yes just before lights out and yes it started after using the pyrol come to think of it.... So the pesticide and light combination caused the burn?
Yes, @Ricod306, this certainly looks to me like your foliar spray is burning the leaves when the lights are on. I had a similar thing happen to me last year. When you pointed out that there is a residue of spray still on the leaves, I remembered my experience. If the foliar spray is oily and has not fully dissipated by the time lights are back on, or the sun rises in my garden, then you can easily get this kind of burn on your leaves. The thing that saved my plants is heavy drenched spraying with a good soap spray, every day for 3 days at dusk. The goal here is to get that oil off the leaves BEFORE the lights/sun are on again. The lesson I learned (the hard way) is to make absolutely sure that enough of that oily residue is gone before lights/sun are shining bright.

I realize that it's been a few days since you've sprayed and the worse is probably over. Even so, I would still advise that you spray down your girls one time with a good soap mixed with water. Lights off please! This would serve you in two ways... 1st and foremost, it'll get any excess oil still lingering. These oils close off or clog the pores in the leaves that the plant needs for respiration. A thin layer of oil is enough, even without any drops, to burn leaves. 2nd, a soap spray really does chase away bugs too. I learned this when I sprayed my girls with soapy water. No bad bugs, ANYwhere! Doesn't bother beneficial bugs much at all. The day after I spray like this, I still see plenty of predator bugs (the good guys). Finally, be sure to follow @Nunyabiz with his advice to address these thrips in the soil too.

Hope this helps... :peace:

Thanks you all for these tips, they have been very helpful indeed. @CBDbud what you said makes sense now because yes the residue still remained. I wish the shop I bought it from told me this would be an issue.

Yes the burning has stopped but the bugs, not:thedoubletake::thedoubletake: luckily this week the bugs arrive and they can start feasting on these pesky thrips. Luckily the two most invested plants got harvest lately and still yielded a nice +-55g per auto. The other 3 left in my tent has more burn damage of which I was most concerned as I feared it might have been nutrients but clearly that wasn't the case.

Final question, given its indoor growing will my Orius bugs be able to live if there isn't thrips left?? They aparently live on pollen besides thrips would this be an issue?

Thanks you all for these tips, they have been very helpful indeed. @CBDbud what you said makes sense now because yes the residue still remained. I wish the shop I bought it from told me this would be an issue.

Yes the burning has stopped but the bugs, not:thedoubletake::thedoubletake: luckily this week the bugs arrive and they can start feasting on these pesky thrips. Luckily the two most invested plants got harvest lately and still yielded a nice +-55g per auto. The other 3 left in my tent has more burn damage of which I was most concerned as I feared it might have been nutrients but clearly that wasn't the case.

Final question, given its indoor growing will my Orius bugs be able to live if there isn't thrips left?? They aparently live on pollen besides thrips would this be an issue?
Hey there @Ricod306. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but like anything else, when there's no food left, things starve. Usually, the pressure of hunger will drive your friendly bugs to eat every last one of those bad bugs before the good guys die. :eek:

Also, keep an eye out for nanners and hermies. This kind of stress (leaves burned) can cause your girls to hermie or make some nanners. I found this out the hard way... just trying to help out. :Namaste:

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong here? I transplanted about tge past Tuesday and they started looking like this. I gave Nitrogen and still its worsening. The pictures aren't clear but they have a lime green tint.
16096707192504481248411739598875.jpg
16096707436874926584809985018989.jpg

For color comparison here they are next to one that is fine.
IMG_20210103_125609.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong here? I transplanted about tge past Tuesday and they started looking like this. I gave Nitrogen and still its worsening. The pictures aren't clear but they have a lime green tint.
16096707192504481248411739598875.jpg
16096707436874926584809985018989.jpg

For color comparison here they are next to one that is fine.
IMG_20210103_125609.jpg
Those girls look hungry. Have they been getting any nutrients. Do you have any b1 or superthrive a little and some food will help.

Back again for more help what about this lady cause I've been trying realy hard to feed het nitro but nun.... Ph @6.0 and using terra aquatica bloom and grow coco nutes...
IMG-20210513-WA0043.jpg

Back
Top Bottom