What is the problem with my seedling?

Anonurse

Hello everybody! I just registered to this forum. As an introduction, I'm a young male nurses. I want to change the stigma surrounding MJ (especially in the medical field). This is my first grow, and I need urgent help. I'm legally growing 3 Sour Diesel seedlings; they germinated about 1 week ago. One of them has leaves curling up. What is the problem? I don't want to bore you with the specs of my entire setup (i'm using a grow tent), but feel free to ask any questions.

uasa9Hi.jpg

Bh76hsT.jpg

Hi Anonurse, welcome to the 420

I see you are growing in rockwool.

What is the PH of the water you use?

Was the rockwool cube soaked in PH 5.5 water before planting the seed?

Please try to use the Gallery for uploading your photos.

VladimirPutin

Unless you fed it nutrient at this age, which seems unlikely...
Then maybe a severe ph problem. Some rockwool apparently has a very high ph and should be soaked for a while to adjust it, though I personally haven't seen ph issues with the cubes I get.
I can't think of what else would cause this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm :scratchinghead:

He's probably over-watering it like Master Wheezel had sad centuries ago.

And the PH is probably not being check as well.

-VladimirPutin

Hmmmmmmmmmmm :scratchinghead:

He's probably over-watering it like Master Wheezel had sad centuries ago.

And the PH is probably not being check as well.

-VladimirPutin

That'd be my guess also. I hope he comes back and let's us help him.

My bet (because I heard this BS at a grow store once) is he soaked the cubes in a "light nute solution".

That may work on clones (I use peat cubes so I don't have problems) but seeds need nothing for a while. That just aint how nature works man.

Yeah hopefully he returns.

My bet (because I heard this BS at a grow store once) is he soaked the cubes in a "light nute solution".

That may work on clones (I use peat cubes so I don't have problems) but seeds need nothing for a while. That just aint how nature works man.

Yeah hopefully he returns.

I'll be be using rockwool croutons for the first time this weekend. Plan to soak them in 5.8 water before use, and no nutrients for the first week or two. It'll be an adventure as I've killed everything I've ever grown except in the buckets. :)

Hey what's happening Wheeze???

V

Hey Mr President. Not much!
A little bedside party going on I see, beside the poor sickly victim. Poor little thing.
Maybe ate too much?
Maybe ate too much acid.
More likely did too much base. Alas....
So young and innocent.
And the suspect has fled?

The seed was germinated in paper towels. Then after taproot was about ~3.5mm long, transplanted to rockwool. The rockwool was soaked in RO water at 5.4 pH with no added nutes. I was originally suspecting either wind damage from the fan or heat stress, but after adjusting light distance and redirecting fan, I also began to suspect a pH problem. As for the photos, I just couldnt figure out where to upload so I'm sorry for using external source. Thanks for prompt reply!

This is a good observation. I only check the pH of the water I use to water the cubes. I've also been keeping the cubes soaked, which I've learned is not so good. Should I be checking water drainage from rockwool? If so what should it be? And should I water cubes, from bottom or top?

Sorry rifleman for late response, I'm not used to people responding so quickly on forums lol. :thumb: was expecting at least a day.

:welcome: to :420: This is the only place on the internet where everyone wants you to succeed at cannabis cultivation. I have never grown in rockwool but plan to start this weekend. My plan is to use water with a ph of 5.8 just like I do in my hydro set up. I will top feed by hand until it goes into bloom.

If I were you I would flush them with 5.8 water, and measure the ph of your run off to see if the rockwool is causing a ph problem, And let them dry out aferwards. I would also make sure my method of checking ph is in calibration.

Please take this with a grain of salt as I am a hydro grower with no experience in rw. I am sure if I am incorrect someone will be along shortly to point it out.

Rockwool can definitely hold way too much water for a little plant. I try to keep it quite dry- estimated 30% of saturation level. Under 60% anyway, just as a guesstimate. Roots thrive at the low saturation levels. Larger plants won't have issues with it being soaked right down and will be able to handle it.

Try taking some of the rockwool cubes from the batch you used, soak them in a small container of water for a while and see if there is a ph change. (Measure ph of test water first, obviously..)

Try taking some of the rockwool cubes from the batch you used, soak them in a small container of water for a while and see if there is a ph change. (Measure ph of test water first, obviously..)
K. Just taking a little from what everybody has said thus far, I just submerged new cube in RO water at 5.5 pH, will measure water in 8hrs to see if there's a change from baseline. I will also begin to water cube when saturation weight drops ~30%. Will also be calibrating my digital pH monitor tomorrow after work. Hopefully some recovery will happen in the next few days. I will post an update. Thanks again everyone.

You'll see ph change more easily if you use distilled or RO water, which has no added chemicals in it and for practical purposes has no ph despite what it may read. It will change ph very easily. Though, if your plant is that sick from the rockwool ph- it must have very high or low ph and should be very easily detected.
EDIT- oh you already said you're using RO. Duh...

Well everyone, I transplanted the cubes into SOLO cups with FFOF and 30% perlite. The roots were coming out of the bottom. Plant still looks the same but I'm hoping it will start to look better in its new home. Its about a week old anyways and I need to give it nutrients. The soil should do the job.

Good job with the moving to FFOF. Now lose the RO water and go to tap water... it has minerals in it that your plants are going to want. Adjust your pH to 6.5 and water correctly, saturating the soil each time and then waiting 3 or 4 days for the plant to use ALL of the water, all the way to the bottom. You do not need nutrients... as you said, the soil should do the job, and just when it cant, you will be up-potting to a gallon sized container with fresh soil in it. Nutes are not needed with FFOF, well into flower... it is good soil with lots of yummy organics in it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom