What Size HPS?

Cannabliss89

So I'm vegging outdoors, I wish I could do my whole grow out there but I think the smell would be too obvious to my neighbors so I have to flower indoors. This is my first grow so I don't have any kind of set up. Thinking of flowering in my garage using a 250 watt HPS for 2 plants. I have 2 plants that are a month and a half into veg, and a new clone that's been vegging for like 2 weeks. The general rule of thumb is 10,000 lumens per plant right?
So 150 watt would be too small for 2 plants?
Would 250 watt be ok for 3 plants?
My clone will probably be ready to flower before the first 2 are done.
So if I get a 250 watt HPS with a ballast will I be ready to go for flowering?
Will I need to get a fan too?
I realize the light will cost me at least 100$ which I don't want to spend but I wanna do it right since I've invested almost two months of my time already. Does anyone know the electrical cost to run a 250 watt for 12 hours a day?
Sorry bout all the questions, I'm new to the lighting game, any advice would be appreciated.

I'd get a dimmable 600w ballast, which will give you options -probably something like 300,400,600,and 650 watts. Put a 600w bulb in it and set it to whichever setting suits you at the time. Options to turn it up when you expand. It won't cost you much more than a smaller ballast.
Power companies charge by the kilowatt hour. That means (at least in theory) -a thousand watt bulb running for an hour costs X cents. I think my rate is about 8c per kilowatt hour. It's easy to calculate once you know how much they charge.

get a 600 watt hps ,you will be much happier that you did,I understand u wanting to keep the light at a minimum/amp draw but you need to have good growth if you want BIG BUDS, a 400 watt hps would be minimum and yes u will want a inline fan with cool tube to keep room temps down and if your worried about the smell then add a carbon filter to your set up, 250watt draws like 1 amp at 240 volts 400watt draws around 1.6 amps 600watt draws around 2.5 amps at 240 volt or double those numbers for 120volt ,these are ball park ONLY numbers, your desk top computer power supply is most likely a 500 or 600 watt at 120volts =4 amps and 5 amps ???watts divided by volts = amperage ,,hope this helps ,

So I'm vegging outdoors, I wish I could do my whole grow out there but I think the smell would be too obvious to my neighbors so I have to flower indoors. This is my first grow so I don't have any kind of set up. Thinking of flowering in my garage using a 250 watt HPS for 2 plants. I have 2 plants that are a month and a half into veg, and a new clone that's been vegging for like 2 weeks. The general rule of thumb is 10,000 lumens per plant right?
So 150 watt would be too small for 2 plants?
Would 250 watt be ok for 3 plants?
My clone will probably be ready to flower before the first 2 are done.
So if I get a 250 watt HPS with a ballast will I be ready to go for flowering?
Will I need to get a fan too?
I realize the light will cost me at least 100$ which I don't want to spend but I wanna do it right since I've invested almost two months of my time already. Does anyone know the electrical cost to run a 250 watt for 12 hours a day?
Sorry bout all the questions, I'm new to the lighting game, any advice would be appreciated.

lumens per plant is not a measurement that I have ever heard of and 10,000 would be really low for a decent sized plant as sunlight provides almost 100,000 lumens per square meter.

On 12/12: A 250 watt light running at 10 cents per killowatt hour (you'll have to look at your electric bill) will cost you roughly $9 a month

On 18/6: $12 a month

Thanks for your responses. After more research I'm now thinking of getting a 300w LED if I can afford it because of the reduced heat output and energy savings. Does anyone know if 300w is good for 2-3 plants?

White led or an LEC will blow a low wattage hps away.

Ok.

Edit: I would be interested in Ceramic offerings, have heard good things about them. As far as white LEDs, I have seen some Cree setups and they look promising, although what I have found has been DIY stuff and still a bit pricey for my budget.

Double ninja edit: From what the OP has posted, I doubt a $1000 LEC light is really what he is looking for.

Ok.

Edit: I would be interested in Ceramic offerings, have heard good things about them. As far as white LEDs, I have seen some Cree setups and they look promising, although what I have found has been DIY stuff and still a bit pricey for my budget.

Double ninja edit: From what the OP has posted, I doubt a $1000 LEC light is really what he is looking for.

Dunno where you're shopping for LEC 315 but where I'm from they can be had for as little as 420 dollars plus tax.
As far as white led and cree, for me it's rapidled onyx in cool white for veg and warm white for flower. 28- 10 watt xml2 per panel.
4 bills.

You are right, looks like those LECs can be had for around $500. The Onyx units are $400 per panel, I am sure they may grow excellent flowers, but:

I realize the light will cost me at least 100$ which I don't want to spend but I wanna do it right since I've invested almost two months of my time already.

so I don't know that these options are really of much concern in this thread. If price is no option I am sure there are some amazing LEDs out there, but that's not the case for the average forum user or the OP.

"Amazing" LED costs much over a grand IF you have some space to cover. I only speak from experience and I've tried as lot of different lighting but to each their own. There is one thing that never changes though, you get what you pay for.

You are right, looks like those LECs can be had for around $500. The Onyx units are $400 per panel, I am sure they may grow excellent flowers, but:

so I don't know that these options are really of much concern in this thread. If price is no option I am sure there are some amazing LEDs out there, but that's not the case for the average forum user or the OP.

Back
Top Bottom