When should I flush?

Not that im aware of mate. It's not something I've done a great deal of research on. I just feed my plants what they ask for by following the ppm of the Res as they feed. Last week you're lucky if they can take in 200ppm. They kinda do whatever it is people think you need to do by themselves anyway.
Just a natural dying process I suppose.
The process is called senescence. Senescence is the process by which cells irreversibly stop dividing and enter a state of permanent growth arrest without undergoing cell death.
The plant is nearing the end of its life cycle so slows down on uptake of water and nutrients.

Here is an infographic from a thesis study published by a Canadian university.
It shows the levels of "nutrients" in samples of flower from plants that were flushed, weren't flushed as well as a couple controls.
The levels in all samples were almost all exactly the same. If nothing else had, this alon would be enough to keep me from flushing. It makes no difference. Smooth smoke is a product of proper drying and curing.
Screenshot_20190522-160638_Drive.jpg
so this is essentially the science on pre-harvest starving...?
pretty much closes the argument...

so this is essentially the science on pre-harvest starving...?
pretty much closes the argument...
Yep this is the nail in the flush coffin.
There is basically no measurable difference in nute levels between flushed and un flushed bud

Oh wait shit, you said flowers there. Was it weed plants?
I don't think it's definitive if it isn't weed plants. :( Awe man I was so excited there.
Here you are:

Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments

Abstract

Medical cannabis production is a new industry in Canada and represents a challenge for the production of a repeatable and standardized product for medical use. A reliable and reproducible environmental control strategy can contribute significantly to meeting this challenge. Irrigation management and control of plant water status is one of the key environmental control elements. To assess the effects of various irrigation management strategies this study deployed in situ stem psychrometers to measure the water status of plants. As a routine feedback device for irrigation control these devices are not ideal for large-scale production so correlation with the key environment variable representing the aerial demand for moisture (vapour pressure deficit) was assessed. By establishing a relationship between cumulative water potential (cWP) and cumulative vapour pressure deficit (cVPD) an irrigation management strategy that predicted plant water status based on measurements of cVPD could be employed. Three treatments; control (irrigation events every 1-2 days), mild-stress (irrigation events every 2 days), and moderate-stress (irrigation events every 3 days) were tested. The effects of flushing were also investigated to determine whether it had the intended effect of reducing nutrient concentrations within the dried bud. Through the use of psychrometers, water status (cWP) thresholds were correlated with humidity (cVPD) thresholds and reduced irrigation frequency resulting in water use reductions up to 45.7% which had negligible impacts on yield and cannabinoid profile. Flushing was found to be ineffective in removing any significant amount of nutrient from the bud.

Yep this is the nail in the flush coffin.
There is basically no measurable difference in nute levels between flushed and un flushed bud
well i am nearing my first chop..
the starve/no starve debate was one i had put to the back of my mind, confident i would choose to not starve them.
think this settles it really

i hope i can get the rest right!! haha
i feel your pain chi

Thanks. I'm getting to the stage where Im afraid I'm going to fuck up. Either on the flush, dry, cure or all of them at once.

plants dont use alot of nutes in the fibal weeks as barney and I just said.

if you continue using the same amount of nutes as you did during mid flower, yes there will be a build up of nutes because the plant isnt using it. thats probably where the whole flushing thing started.

back in the day when it was just word of mouth about what happens to plants people who fed alot of nutes tasted thenutes because they were loading the plants with whatever when the plant didnt need it

so then some genius assumed that its better to feed nothing because of this.
the plant still needs nutes, just not that much.
in an absolute perfect grow, where you fed the plant EXACTLY what it needed, you wouldnt need to flush at all, but that rarely happens with noobs.
flushing isnt the end all be all, but if you arent confident about what you are doing it wont hurt anything.
you probably will miss out on a little bit of the weight because you are starving the plant, but at least you know for sure it doesnt have an overabundance of nutrients built up in the soil.

molasses IN AN ORGANIC GROW, helps the microbes in the SOIL use up the last of the built up shit in SOIL so you can get a fade at the end of flower and know the plant isnt receiving excess nutes.

its a myth that molasses or sugar is somehow directly influencing the trichs on the plant. rather it is directly influencing the MICROBES in the soil ALLOWING the plant to use up the rest of the nutrients built up in SOIL so you can stop wasting money on plant food for the final weeks.

molasses will allow a better taste because the plant wont be taking up excess nutes and using only what it needs that which was already built up in the soil.

thats my take on it, correct me if im wrong.

so all in all, flushing is NOT NEEDED if you had no issues feeding the plant throughout its life.
if you were feeding with a heavy hand and had some nute burn and you dont fully understand what is happening with the plant, ITS NOT A BAD IDEA.
its not gonna hurt anything except for some weight on your final buds.

but yes i agree with barney. i had some issues with my last grow, i flushed my medium at week 6, then continued with a very light feeding up until harvest and the plant came out fine

well i am nearing my first chop..
the starve/no starve debate was one i had put to the back of my mind, confident i would choose to not starve them.
think this settles it really

i hope i can get the rest right!! haha
i feel your pain chi

bingo.
im sure old timers who were feeding peters 20-20-20 up until final chop had tons of excess nitrogen and nute burn going on and so they just decided for next grow not to feed anything and the myth spread about “flushing” because they were so far behind in the actual science of wtf was going on.

with that being said, if you are mega feeding the plant nitrogen you might want to flush, pretty sure all these tests conducted were probably with the proper amount of nutes for the plants theoughout its life.
not old school hippies blowing up plants with super high levels of primitive nutrients lol
the year is 2019, dont treat your plant like its 1969

bingo.
im sure old timers who were feeding peters 20-20-20 up until final chop had tons of excess nitrogen and nute burn going on and so they just decided for next grow not to feed anything and the myth spread about “flushing” because they were so far behind in the actual science of wtf was going on.

with that being said, if you are mega feeding the plant nitrogen you might want to flush, pretty sure all these tests conducted were probably with the proper amount of nutes for the plants theoughout its life.
not old school hippies blowing up plants with super high levels of primitive nutrients lol
As far as I understood, and I may be wrong, but the levels in the buds (flowers) dont change much because the plant doesnt store excess nutrients in the flowers. If anything excess nutes will get stored in the leaves, mainly the big fans.

bingo.

lol right man
im in coco too, im sure they would suffer more from just water at the home run for it than in soil even..
i guess my concern now turns to when to start decreasing feed lol
they are 2 days off the start if week 7 12/12, pretty sure 1 will be ready sooner, must get some close ups and get some guidance on timings lol

lol right man
im in coco too, im sure they would suffer more from just water at the home run for it than in soil even..
i guess my concern now turns to when to start decreasing feed lol
they are 2 days off the start if week 7 12/12, pretty sure 1 will be ready sooner, must get some close ups and get some guidance on timings lol

yep im in cocopeat so i dont do molasses.
not organic, my water has chlorine and i got sick of lugging the water around to bubble it for 48 hrs constantly.

i just follow the feed schedule
image.jpg

clearly shows a decrease in nutes for the final period.
they dont count the stretch either as flowering. which gives a more realistic idea of when plants are done

The process is called senescence. Senescence is the process by which cells irreversibly stop dividing and enter a state of permanent growth arrest without undergoing cell death.
The plant is nearing the end of its life cycle so slows down on uptake of water and nutrients.
Ahh, nice one. I love it when science backs up my theories lol.

Ahh nice one. Cheers dude. Just off to be but I'll get it tomorrow! Actually so happy someone finally proved all this nonsense once and for all. About time lol
As a scientist once said (paraphrasing): "Nature doesn't give a toss what we think". She will do as she does.... as women do! LOL!.

Back
Top Bottom