When to cut nutrients before harvest?

Cwmoore577

So trying to follow the General Hydroponics feedchart it says to cut down nutrients around week 11 and flush around week 12 which I know is a loose guideline as the timelines vary with strain and environment.

My question is how can I know when to cut nutrients so that the plant can use what it has stored before I flush and harvest?

I have a Zkittlez auto (Coco medium) that’s in week 14 (day 102 from sprout) and after looking at it under the microscope still needs a bit.

Are there certain things you look for before starting to cut nutrients and flush?

11BCF94F-F9C3-4DEB-B54B-D2DD43F37FC1.jpeg
703CDD0A-F6AA-4A58-969E-137F08F056A9.jpeg

A9B2DE89-4F52-444B-97DF-3F5AEB647A55.jpeg
486E3C47-E6D6-44BA-A49B-65780B4F5A52.jpeg
FCC14E19-9513-440C-AC6E-08B775C6BFE9.jpeg
F7794EBC-42F6-437E-B6DE-8D8B9D3C8391.jpeg

I feed right until I chop, no flushing at all.

When to harvest depends on what you want out of the plant. Here's a trichome shot from my tent today...
full

GDP #3 Trichomes

This plant is just past it's maximum THC. You can see that most of the trichomes are cloudy, with some still clear, and others turning amber. The clear trichomes are immature and don't contain much THC. The cloudy ones are mature and packed with THC. The amber trichomes have some of the THC being converted to CBN. CBN is the cannabinoid that produces sleep or the couch-lock effect. Harvesting just before this, when you have very few trichomes turning amber will get you the maximum THC. I'm waiting another day or two to allow more trichomes to turn amber, as this is my night time medicine.

When to harvest depends on what you want out of the plant. Here's a trichome shot from my tent today...
full

GDP #3 Trichomes

This plant is just past it's maximum THC. You can see that most of the trichomes are cloudy, with some still clear, and others turning amber. The clear trichomes are immature and don't contain much THC. The cloudy ones are mature and packed with THC. The amber trichomes have some of the THC being converted to CBN. CBN is the cannabinoid that produces sleep or the couch-lock effect. Harvesting just before this, when you have very few trichomes turning amber will get you the maximum THC. I'm waiting another day or two to allow more trichomes to turn amber, as this is my night time medicine.
Yea I know there seems to be a lot of debate on pre-harvest flush. Do you feed at a lower dose towards the end or keep the same rate?

Also what do you take your trichome pics with? I’ve been thinking of getting one of those usb microscopes. I only have a children’s learning microscopes, it goes to 120x but can’t be uploaded.

full

GDP #3 Trichomes

Very informative @Old Salt ! Thank you for that my brother

So trying to follow the General Hydroponics feedchart it says to cut down nutrients around week 11 and flush around week 12 which I know is a loose guideline as the timelines vary with strain and environment.

My question is how can I know when to cut nutrients so that the plant can use what it has stored before I flush and harvest?

I have a Zkittlez auto (Coco medium) that’s in week 14 (day 102 from sprout) and after looking at it under the microscope still needs a bit.

Are there certain things you look for before starting to cut nutrients and flush?

11BCF94F-F9C3-4DEB-B54B-D2DD43F37FC1.jpeg
703CDD0A-F6AA-4A58-969E-137F08F056A9.jpeg

A9B2DE89-4F52-444B-97DF-3F5AEB647A55.jpeg
486E3C47-E6D6-44BA-A49B-65780B4F5A52.jpeg
FCC14E19-9513-440C-AC6E-08B775C6BFE9.jpeg
F7794EBC-42F6-437E-B6DE-8D8B9D3C8391.jpeg
Great pics @Cwmoore577. She's beautiful!

Yea I know there seems to be a lot of debate on pre-harvest flush. Do you feed at a lower dose towards the end or keep the same rate?

Also what do you take your trichome pics with? I’ve been thinking of getting one of those usb microscopes. I only have a children’s learning microscopes, it goes to 120x but can’t be uploaded.
I also am curious about the camera. Please share

full

GDP #3 Trichomes

Perfect camera to find that one hair your missing.

I dont flush because i water cure my plants and yours are ready, as long as you cut before thursday.

Once i cut i put the buds in water (works best with filtered water) and osmosis will force salts amd sugars to the water as to compensate both mediums. I make sure all muds are water covered and then put the weed in the fridge.

Change the water daily, or at least when you wake up and when you get home from work. Keep doing this until the buds sink. Thc wont be lost, but terpenes will (not all). Also, when you change the water run it trough a coffee filter to reclaim any lost pistils, you can dry these and use them to sprinkle your blunts.

As buds drop, put them in a colander to air dry and then in a dark place as you would usually do. The weed will not only lose salts and sugars, chlorophyl and cellulose will disappear too for a smooth taste and it will hit harder than a drunk stepdad. This will take longer than the usual 5-8 days you read online because its refrigerated, but during that time it will also help trychomes achieve its perfect spot and pistils will turn a beautiful color.

full

Jiusion 40 to 1000x Magnification Endoscope, 8 LED USB 2.0 Digital Microscope,

I also bought the optional stand after I had tried the one it came with (on the right). The one it came with is too unstable making it difficult to focus. This one has a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. There are now WiFi versions with higher resolution (1080P) available. Both versions are available through Amazon or e-Bay. At high magnification, I need to remove the protective collar as shown to get close enough to focus.

Don't be fooled. That trichome shot is the best I've taken yet. It's due to the way the calyx was formed, and the way it was positioned.

I feed at full strength until harvest. Some growers with more experience will decrease the nutrients. They have far more experience than I do, and can read the plants better. I'm only into my seventh grow.

I decided not to ever flush before harvest. Had I stopped feeding this unexpected growth spurt may not be happening as I'm late flower.

I've worked in the landscape industry for years never have I heard of flushing. Until I came to these forums. I use organic fert anyhow. It's all bull. Feed those girls.

Back
Top Bottom