When to do your first up pot?

GIjose

I know the general rule of thumb when to your first initial up pot is when your plant leaves stretch further than the opening of your pot. I start my girls in a Solo Cup and usually wait till the 5th node on my plants before I up pot. When do you usually do yours? Please share your experience pros and cons of potting up too early or too late.

I've always went Solo cup to final pot. Allows me to train the plant how I want it as it fills the final pot up. I usually top a few times and train outwards. I up pot from the Solo usually around the 10 day mark from the plant breaking ground.

Damn! I was always taught that the root ball will not form properly if you up pot to a very large size. Def good to know before I up pot on my current grows. @Jack420 how long do you wait to up pot?

if I do I wait a few weeks in solo cup al depends how they doin they def will let u kno wen they are ready but my autos I always start in final pot just the roots don’t like to b messed with I have a ww now started in a 3 gal pot doin great

I uppot when the plants and their container both tell me it is time. The purpose of a small container is to cause dense root mass to grow before uppotting, creating a root ball. The way you tell that it is time to move up is that instead of being a 3 or 4 day buffer between watering times, the wet/dry cycle shortens to 24-36 hours. At this time the container of soil is no longer a proper buffer and the roots are starting to run out of room. Transplanting before this point would be ignoring this well known practice of building solid rootballs before moving on.

Back
Top Bottom