When to start LSTing

xwwx

Hey all, im on my second grow and wanted to try doing LST this time around and have a few questions I need clarified. First, when is it best to start the LST process? My plants are about 3 inchs tall on average, but on their 4th and 5th nodes. They are very short and squat and compact and this makes it hard for me to do anything right now with them, but ive read somewhere that waiting too long past 5 nodes can make the stem harden and make it hard to do LST. What would you suggest?

Also, is it possible to LST and supercrop at the same time? (If im understanding supercroping correctly, you basically trist and break and cause damage to a stem and it heals back stronger allowing for better flow of nutrients right?) If this adds additional grow time in veg, how much should be expect?

Thanks for your valuable insight guys, forever in your debt!:tokin:

First I supercropped my main stem then let it recover then tied her down.
a68679df-779a-ed5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420

U joined in '06 and only on ur 2nd grow? Wow, lol. Any how, 2 answer ur question U can begin LSTing now if u like. I like to see the new growth take off for a few nodes after transplanting. Supercropping can be used to LST but is not necessary. The new growth is supple and easy to manipulate. For young small plants u may want to brace the main stem near the base so that you dont damage it or the root system while bending the plant. Happy 420, good luck :peace:

Hey all, im on my second grow and wanted to try doing LST this time around and have a few questions I need clarified. First, when is it best to start the LST process? My plants are about 3 inchs tall on average, but on their 4th and 5th nodes. They are very short and squat and compact and this makes it hard for me to do anything right now with them, but ive read somewhere that waiting too long past 5 nodes can make the stem harden and make it hard to do LST. What would you suggest?

Also, is it possible to LST and supercrop at the same time? (If im understanding supercroping correctly, you basically trist and break and cause damage to a stem and it heals back stronger allowing for better flow of nutrients right?) If this adds additional grow time in veg, how much should be expect?

Thanks for your valuable insight guys, forever in your debt!:tokin:

10-12 nodes at least.
:goodluck:

Whooooa, Too Big

10-12 nodes at least.
:goodluck:

What do u base this suggestion on? 10-12 nodes is a tall plant. Look in Jorge Cervantes' MMJ Grower's Bible in the outdoor chap.(Don't know pg # off hand and don't have book around at the moment). There's a pic of a small plant/clone LSTed beneath a metal hook. I based my suggestion on experience. As soon as the roots are established while the majority of the stem is supple.

Re: Whooooa, Too Big

What do u base this suggestion on? 10-12 nodes is a tall plant. Look in Jorge Cervantes' MMJ Grower's Bible in the outdoor chap.(Don't know pg # off hand and don't have book around at the moment). There's a pic of a small plant/clone LSTed beneath a metal hook. I based my suggestion on experience. As soon as the roots are established while the majority of the stem is supple.

(I can have a 12" plant with 20-30+ nodes and its not tall its just very bushy)
You are talking about a well stretched plant if its so tall with few nodes.This is Based on my experience and why LST a plant with few nodes when more nodes to tie the better ????
MORE NODES = MORE BUD SITES AND MUCH MORE GROWTH AND NODES.

growguide12.jpg

(a very short plant grown under hps from seed with many nodes).

:thumb:

I see what ur saying. When starting with a short plant, I continue to bend the growth shoot as it grows. More vertical shoots grow this way. Lower branches become more productive. Thanks for the pic. Both ways can work. I just prefer not to wait long sometimes but I do get lazy at times too.

I see what ur saying. When starting with a short plant, I continue to bend the growth shoot as it grows. More vertical shoots grow this way. Lower branches become more productive. Thanks for the pic. Both ways can work. I just prefer not to wait long sometimes but I do get lazy at times too.

We all get lazy from time to time and thank you very much for the understanding.

REGARDS.

CHRIS.
:goodjob:

I have been growing this style for about 6 years now and have some really good luck. I use this technique on both hydro and soil. Depending on the plant is dependant on when you start your bend and tie. I like to start mine early in the plants stage . I never touch the plant the first week I set the clone. After that.. Its game on..

clone_in_bucket_before_rock.jpeg

Now this second pic is 1 month in after its first tie down

1_month_in.jpeg

3rd pic is 2 months in.. I am trying to get as many shutes as possible

another_bush.jpeg

Now these are not the same plants because the plant I shoed in the first two pics are still in stage 1 so I am showing plants that are in those stages that I am explaining to give you the visual of what they should be looking like.

This plant is one week in the transition period. I do my last tie down. I call this process of tie down "manipulating the plant"

how_tall_is_she.jpeg

This pic is after I do my last tie down for my final table top.

finished_tabletop.jpeg

I try to get as many shutes as possible. I want to have at least 35 - 40 shutes on my plants.

Now I have the ceiling height. so I can tie down for longer periods.

Back
Top Bottom