Which budget start-up hash & kief making products are worth buying? Lots of pics!

Re: Which budget start-up hash/ keif making products are worth buying? (Lots of Pics!

I would vape pure crystals at about 300-325 uncompressed. I would think any pressed stuff would be hard to vape. The raw fluffy crystals should vape easy though...

@Lusi I signed that petition, Thank you for your service sir!

Have you ever vaped that powder? What kind of vape? What temp?

Re: Which budget start-up hash/ keif making products are worth buying? (Lots of Pics!

I have tried vaporizing very kind of hash but the oil, and have to agree with Maer. Hash just doesn't vaporize easily when it's compressed or gooey. I've heard there is a special hash vaporizer to use with oils, waxes and those dense sticky hashes and am trying to reach the person who told me this is the most efficient and simplest way to use these types. Something about a heated pin in a glass contraption... If I can get info, I'll certainly share. My volcano definitely makes the most efficient use of this dry ice hash, keif, or even some of the bubble hash I tried that was similar in texture. I've never bothered to use my bubble bags to learn how the different results vary in texture. I bought a piece of that full melt and tried every which way to get it to vaporize, chilling and grinding, pinching into thin wafers, heating and stirring in with buds.... I even used the liquid pad in the volcano, hopIng the hash would melt and spread out. It didn't much. Guess it might work for something closer to oil. BTW, don't waste your pennies on a volcano liquid chamber, it's just the regular one with a steel wool like pad.All these just wasted it and only the exposed surface vaporized and the rest was wasted. I also tried it in my vapor genie and launch box, on top of buds. It's pointless!

In the volcano, I put a bit of ground bud (actually leftover bud from hash making usually) in the chamber, then add however much hash I wish (I need a lot), then important, sprinkle a bit of bud on top so when the hash melts a bit, it doesn't stick to your top screen. I cough a lot, even with vapors, but find I het more potent vapors at lower temps when using the DI hash. I start at 4.5 and once heated start the air while turning it up to 5 to keep the light on and heating (not sure if this even matters), then pretty much crank it up a half notch per bag or until it gets too harsh for me. I've read all the good CBNs are vaporized by 7.5 at the most and any higher is pointless. There is a list of temps in several threads, and there is even a list of temps for the classic volcano, so you might want to check. My chamber is pretty much vaporized by 7... Ah, another thing in general on the volcano, it does help to stir the herb chamber and seems to make the herbs go further. Another tip to make your hash go further... Any visible exhaled vapor is wasted vapor. I like several bags of thinner vapors, as not to cough, but with the hash that bag is packed with vapors! I take small short breaths, then breathe in fresh air for the rest of my hit. When really broke, I'll even exhale into the bag or breathe out a little at a time, taking more fresh air in as I go. Not much vapor escapes my lungs that way. :)

I finished trimming up my blueberry diesel last night and scraped a nice ball of gooey yummy hash off my nippers... Then hit a dead end getting that to vaporize, no matter how thin I mashed it. While waiting for news on this pin vaporizer for that type of hash, i'd love to hear how other people vaporize this!

If you try to vaporize dry ice hash or keif in anything with a screen, you have to add bud or all that hash will fall through the screen. I clogged my vapor genie up tight a fee times. :))

I did just get a $5 hash press in the mail... Out of curiosity. I can't see how in the world I could vaporize a puck of hash any more than full melt! ?? Has anyone else vaporized this?

420pharm, what type of oil are you mixing with keif? I guess that isn't vaporizable either, though it makes good sense to smoke. I've never smoked anything, not even tobacco... Cough cough. I do love the smell of those rolled up balls of hash... As for quality of DIhash, I think it all depends on the bud it's from. I can say it is much much higher in quality than plain keif. I used 220 micron bags and there was little plant material in the hash. With the DI, you shake it very gently and for only a few minutes. since then bags were $7, I ordered a 190mcr to experiment with. I'll use the 5 gallon 220 mar bag, then dump the results in 190' then 160, the. 73, which are my u sued bubble bags. I doubt it will be worth the effort, but it's easy enough to do once.

I pretty much turn all my buds into hash. Vaporizing just the buds gives me no pain relief, so I use them for sleep and mild anxiety. The hash is just so much better and unlike all the other forms of hash making, your buds are reusable for more hash, vaporizers, cooking, etc. There is no water or solvents to trash it! I'm lazy and only run my buds through once.

Maer, all these forms of hash confuse the he'll out of me, like wax and crystals. What are they? I bought a hash that I thought was a type of bubble hash, but it was like raw sugar. I treated it the same as my DI hash, and it worked out just fine! :)

My hash is not just for vaporizing. I only get some pain relief from edibles. 1/2g hash a dose is a bit too much, 1/4 not enough. Putting DI hash in capsules in insanely easy, then I heat them and the capsule in the oven. I use the hash for budder, oils, tinctures (looking for glycerine to try), and coconut oil chocolate. Less plant material = less foul taste. I like BHO, but it is risky. Sooooo, I want to try making BHO from the hash, to see if this eliminates the taste in cooking even more. I was using vector with buds, but such a small amount of butane would be needed, I can buy a tiny can of the insanely priced butane and get more. Before, I make it directly into my crock pot, them add butter and water and go through the rinsing and directly to cooking.

I hope this helps... And makes sense. I shouldn't write when i have a migraine. Lol! I've only been at this about 2 years, but have been focusing on trying as many ways to do things as I can. I'm all ears for any new ideas I can try! So far, DIhash and all the things you can do with it are my favorite by far. If I ever find that pin head vaporizer, CO2 hash might be worth a try... But not so easy or affordable. Lol

TY for signing them petition. It made the 5000 votes and can't be ignored now. :)))) TY!!:circle-of-love:

the quantity and quality of bho that you get out of your efforts all depends on the quality of the leaf/nugs going into the mix. the more trichs on the sugar theaf the more bho, and the less trichs on the sugar theaf, the less your yeild will be. it wall starts with the quality of the product going into the mix...

The quality is pretty good, not top shelf, but as potent as the next level down. A $65 TS 1/8 only works for me for a day. :-( This is why everything I grow will be made into hash. I don't completely understand why the hash of a bud that isn't strong enough works, perhaps less time to get it in my system. ? Unfortunately, my harvest had to be early due to rain so nothing has that sedative effect I need. I can't test them for pain until they are made into hash and ingested. The dispensaries sell 6 and 12 dose brownies that also don't touch the pain, but help with anxiety at least. I don't know if there is anyone on this site taking the amount and levels of pain killers i'm on now for over a decade. Perhaps MJ won't be able to replace any of these, but at least it replaces other meds very well. I know my cookies had to be cut into quarters for a daily life time pot smoking friend to take them. Lol some of my new harvest just knocked him out. It could all be me, expecting more than I can get from an herb. :-(

Do any CBNs or terpenes make it into DI hash or are they only in the plant matter? This is like a needle in a hay stack to get right. My plants are healthy and giving plenty of sugar on the buds... Is it just a darn strain search? Does the actual strain, not the amount of sugar on it, that matters? (when not harvested early)

Tonight 1/4 gram hash pill with coconut oil hasn't done squat. It's been three hours, the non oil pills kicked in around 3.5 hours. I was hoping the oil would make it easier to absorb. The next one, i'll heat the oil past 250 first. If that fails, up the dose of hash. My cookies were 1/2g, but not as strong as 1/2g heated hash capsule. Hmmm

When you are making dry ice hash or kief, isn't the hash just trichs broken off the plant? Wouldn't a low quality plant yield less hash, thus making a gram of hash of either one similar in potency? I still have to try the tincture and BHO from hash too. I'm swamped in projects and too much pain to care about doing them. Fing weather!

There is a thread somewhere on extracting THC (and others) with naptha. I think this is what you need Lusi, it extracts all the cannaboids and is very concentrated and does not need to be decarboxylated.

Hi Maer.... I've read the solvents threads. That just sounds so dangerous! BHO was easy, but I wanted to make it from the DI hash. So, does DI hash, keif, and bubble hash.... All made by screening the trichs off the buds with little plant matter.... Do all of these not contain the terpenes and CBNs? Are these properties only in the plant buds and leaves, and only extracted by methods that process the whole leaf? I guess that is the big question I don't know the answer to. It DIHash doesn't keep all those terpenes and CBNs (does it?!) I need to know!! Right now, I am making everything from this hash, thus the I'm
Prance of the question. (sigh)
Making BHO was easy, but the amount of pure butane needed for ounce of bud was ridiculous. The other solvents just scare me.... Can they really be removed from the finished product? (shudder) I wish there was a way to test what properties remain in various methods. It's all. Overwhelming!

Maer, which are your favorite med methods? Have you tried Naptha? I seem to not be finding medical users who use what they make every day. It would be nice to know if these solvents are removed 100% from the hash before buying them. Even if BHO was 100% safe, a 300ml container only does one ounce of buds! Naptha isn't cheap since it's sold in large amounts, but I'd be willing to give it a try if I can find a tiny bit to experiment with. LMK!!
:thanks:

Can Naptha be used in a still instead of alcohol? I guess Naptha scares me more than butane, especially removing it from the end product. Since I am determined to even tally try every method possible, this should be on my list. Is it safer than BHO? I use no heat and rinse my BHO. By this time next year, I should have tested everything on my list. I hope this one strain lasts me this long. It's hard to compare different strains.

Thanks for the reminder.... A few people have said this. I need to find a person who does it regularly and can say what they like about the method. :)

Naphtha scares me too, but BHO is considered too dangerous to really discuss here and naphtha extraction (via a slow cooker or rice cooker) are considered safe. I think it has to do with volatility, butane is heavier than air and could be ignited by a spark. I think with naphtha (same as white gas I think) it need to be compressed to burn continuously???

One strain will last you forever if you keep a mom.

I usually smoke or vape, if I have a lot I vape because I believe it save my lungs.

I have eaten but I feel like it gives me a less productive stone and I cant afford to be tired or stoned feeling, when I inhale in whatever manner I get more of an up stone. I admit the heavy carpel tunnel pain is not effected as much by this (smoking).

I have not tried it (naptha) BUT if you want to try every possible solvent I think the Tamisium works with everything, and recycles and re-compresses the solvent AND work with butane AND is said to do so in complete safety if used PROPERLY AND costs $1400-$2000!

I have experience with BHO, it definitely had butane left in it for about 12 hours. I dont use heat either but you can see the change in consistency the next morning. The "first press" so to speak turns to powder it is so pure and free of wax and resin. I would never do this with bud, just trim. If I had a tamisium and you can run the same 7X purified stuff through it for an hour or two then yea I would use bud.

Any extraction method is going to get all mainly non polar molecules, what you will lose is low weight molecules responsible for scent.

And since vets day just passed - Thank you sir for serving our country.

Dry Ice Extraction

Ok back on track. What do you do with the kief you get when using Dry Ice? I ran my with a 160m bag and still got a lot. I then briefly heated it and compressed it using my PieceMaker. The end product does not smell good nor does it taste good. What am I doing wrong or not doing? Anyone with Dry Ice extraction experience please comment.

back on track, did I say that? anyway can't you press this stuff? i'm going to try it in my vaporizer. i'm thiniking of running this stuff through my bubble bags. I'd then run all of the powder that remains after dry ice has stripped it down, still THC in there, hard to get it all out though.

TY Maer! Much to look up TY! I haven't a clue what Tamansium is for starters. lol Do you have a link on how to use it or about it? The price alone is waay put of my budget. WTH?! Hexane I think is more popular than Naptha.... My concern as always is how much ends up in the end oil.

Someone just sent me this extractor link. I guess you can use solvents and alcohol in here. Not sure how you separate the final product though. I'm still reading about it. :)
Herbal Extractors Coldfinger for Sale

Q for you.. What helpes you Carpal Tunnel, specifically? Today my neurologist sad my 2 fingers will stay numb unless I get that surgery. No Thanks!! writing, playing and painting are torture on bad days, despite the Fentanyl.

I'm looking for different strains for different problems, but also at least 3 strains for each thing. WHen vaporizing, I must rotate every three days or the strain looses effect. Same deal with many meds too. i don't have space for that many mothers, especially wheile I;m in the trail phase of strain hunts. I clone each clone then flip the first into bloom while the second roots. I've kept this up for 2 years with 2 strains. Works for me! Once a strain proves useless I replace it with another. As fo my hash and edibles, I'm still using one pile of hash from one plant to do as many experiments as possible to first compare the methods then compare hash edible strains.

I tried making the BHO in a glass dish, for capsules. (vs in a crockpot then into taste free budder) Even a razor made the task of scraping it all up near impossible. The sticky parts still had butane and the rest scraped off like candy melted in a dish. WHat a pain! What's the secret to making all that easier? WHat I LOVED about Butane is no taste or smell. Does this mean he terpenes were not carried into my BHO? Can other solvent extractions achieve the no smell/taste and also extract all the CBNs and terpenes? As far as I know, BHO doesn't need to be decarbed. The solvents did it. Not sure if I have it right. Still learning! Which CBNs are non polar?

The VA hospital was a depressing place today. We all had a sad discussion about how they were treated when back from Nam. All they need is for someone to listen! TY for remembering.

ROm703
R703,

What were your buds like to smoke before you made the hash? I had one plant with buds that were so harsh in taste and vapors, I couldn't vape it. The hash from this plant was just as harsh, but the plant was still potent and the hash was fine for pills and cooking. DI Hash made this plant still usable, but not better. It shouldn't make it worse though!

I have never and can't smoke, so little help there. From what I here smoking is the only way to get all those flavors and things people like. I wouldn't use the hash loose in a joint or waterpipe. It would fall through the pipe screen. Mix it back in with a layer of ground bud above and below or in a joint. A little of this on your bud would give a good kick!

I did buy the little kief press for a few bucks. I have no use for pressed hash or any hash, except to grind it back up. LOL I assue you have the same press, a wafer of hash between two dowels? I didn't need heat to compress mine, but it certainly makes the process easier. My pressed hash was sparkly, like diamond dust in a golden powder. I tried the wafer in my vapor genie, but gave up and ground it back up.

I'm not sure what you mean about running the stuff through bubble bags. Do you mean your DI hash? Didn't you use your bubble bag to make it? It's pointless to run it through again, with ice or water. f you want to refine it, just put your DI hash in a smaller mcron bag. Out of curiosity, I ran a bit through my 220 bag, then dumped half in my 160 bag to run again. There was no visible difference and none in vaping it. Only a few fibers and escaped bud pieces were removed between the two. When I can locate my 73mcr bag, I'll try it one last time. Your bubble hash in higher micron will contain much more plant mater because you are stirring and crushing all those buds and ice with the mixer. The DI you only lightly agitate the bag and the trichs break off. The movement of your hand on the bag is not much more than tapping your fingers on a desk.

I'd be curious what happened if you ran ypur buds through with dry ice, then ran them again through bubble bags with the water and ice... how much would be left to extract. There is enough left in the used buds to vaporize or even cook or maybe a tincture.

Depending on your vaporizer, use the DI hash as is. The volcano puses hot air through the screen the hash is on and up into a bag. No hash is blown through the screen. My vapor Genie, I heat the air and inhale through the screen. DI hash goes right through the screen unless I add it to buds first. I plan on trying a volcano liquid pad in there for kicks. I can't think of any vaporizer that compressed hash would easily work in.

hope that helped...

For my hand pain I had an indica that I killed because it tasted horrible (before I knew) I also had harvested it late but not sure that had anything to do with it. Other than that I get cortizone shots every 3 months. I have bottle of pain killers but cant do anything on them so I dont bother.

I plan on buying new indica genetics soon.

Just google Tamansium not supposed to post links because they are not a sponsor.

Ah, it was spelled differently. Good heavens, what a waste of money that is! For that price, I'd get a C02 hash set up! You can get a solvent extractor ($400) or use one of those essential oil stills for $150 and up. I'm still looking into these and am missing a few key answers ro make the choice.

If honey oil could be extracted my a water distiller, why aren't there more people doing it? I am seeing a few options for water, alcohol and solvent distillers:
1) put herb in still full, of boiling water, and collect with the condenser and separator. Since THC boils out, it should work... Right or wrong? What CBNs and terpenes would be gathered this way? This looks like the cheapest way. I would assume vodka could be used instead or with water? The alcohol would dissolve more than the water, which is good too. Since in a still, wouldn't the oil not have chlorophyll?
2) put herb in separate chamber above the boiling water and then the condenser and separator. Same as above... What CBNs and terpenes are gathered? This is the method I am leaning towards as it's affordable and not dangerous. it looks like alcohol can be used here too, but I'm not sure since it wouldn't be in contact with the herb unless alcohol is effective in gas form. Same other Qs as above.
3) same as above, but with steam under pressure. A more expensive set up and I don't see the point.
4) use an herbal still, but not the kind with the oil collector. Julie has a link to this with frozen alcohol. The only point I see here is to,speed up the evaporation of the alcohol without boiling off the THC. I don't see a point! This. An be done other cheaper ways. Using frozen alcohol is looking good for any method with alcohol. I guess because the alcohol is frozen and the process speeded up witht heat, it is not extracting so much chlorophyll.
5) Extractor for solvents $400. This can be home made. I have links to most of these in my other threads and need to gather them in one spot! This one has the herb suspended above heated solvent which is condensed and drips through the herb. I have a coffee pot that is a mini version of this. I'd get shot if I ran pot and alcohol or hexane through it. :))) If I can eventually make this gadget instead of buying it, I'll trymitmout of curiosity.

This gadget to purify butane and recover it is pretty neat and would save money for someone doing butane extractions on a commercial level. The extractor above also saves your solvent, but not butane. There are so many things to try out.... Not enough time and money to get them done. Maybe in a few years... :)

Maer, I can't find any med of any sort that relieves my knees, tendinitis, and other joint pains. Carpal tunnel is the musicians curse and an operation is the end of the road. Sadly, though I no longer play, it flares up when painting or on the computer. No real cure... If I find a bud that helps this I'll let you know. I'm sorry to hear you have to get those cortisone shots. They help for a while, but over a life time are not worth the risks to me. They did my knees a few time, never again. My hands are off limits too, even the numb one! Do you have those silly night braces? I rip mine off in my sleep. They are very uncomfortable. have you tried DMSO? I've been hunting for mine to try and will let you know. It's risky, but I plan to try DMSO with my hash. Will letchya know!

:thanks:

WOW You are a WALL OF TEXT type of guy, I will try to answer all of those questions.

Ah, it was spelled differently. Good heavens, what a waste of money that is! For that price, I'd get a C02 hash set up! You can get a solvent extractor ($400) or use one of those essential oil stills for $150 and up.

Chemistry is my thing so here goes, supercritical CO2 extractors are about the same price but only extract with CO2 which from what I have read is a poor solvent for TCH.

I'm still looking into these and am missing a few key answers ro make the choice.

What you are doing with DI hash is breaking off trichs - whole trichs contain the whole bouquet of chemicals terpenes and everything else - a bit of wax and other inert substances.

If honey oil could be extracted my a water distiller, why aren't there more people doing it?

Water distillation would seem like a poor method to extract THC. In chemistry the most basic rule of solubility is "like dissolves like" water is a small strongly polar (areas of different charge - think a small magnet) molecule whereas THC is large and mostly non polar. It would extract the more volatile (terpenes are smaller) compounds by evaporation not chemical means. TCH does not evaporate at 212F so no tch is extracted this way, and TCH is only very slightly soluble in water.

Using alcohol over an open flame is reckless, even with a hot plate its dangerous unless it is a lab quality sealed hot plate and you have proper fume hood ventilation.

I am seeing a few options for water, alcohol and solvent distillers:
1) put herb in still full, of boiling water, and collect with the condenser and separator. Since THC boils out, it should work... Right or wrong?

THC will not boil out, you will collect trichs cause the outer wax will dissolve and they will fall off, not by dissolution or extraction. If at any point your temps are too high you will destroy your desired product(s). In any extraction you want to use as little heat as possible and the most selective solvent. Butane is relatively large and non-polar, a good match for THC. Alcohols are small to medium (really any size) and are partially polar and partially non polar, the larger the alcohol the closer a match to TCH. Small alcohols like methyl (HEAT gas additive) and ethyl (drinking alcohol) will dissolve some THC and lots of other compounds, larger ones like isopropyl get more selective. You mentioned hexane which is two carbon atoms larger than butane - it may be more selective than butane but IMHO is much harder to remove froom the final product. It may make a good carrier in a Tamsium (w/e trying to spell that) but reagent grade naptha is probably a better choice. I would assume the manufacturer would talk to you at length on the operation.

What CBNs and terpenes would be gathered this way? This looks like the cheapest way. I would assume vodka could be used instead or with water? The alcohol would dissolve more than the water, which is good too. Since in a still, wouldn't the oil not have chlorophyll?

2) put herb in separate chamber above the boiling water and then the condenser and separator. Same as above... What CBNs and terpenes are gathered? This is the method I am leaning towards as it's affordable and not dangerous. it looks like alcohol can be used here too, but I'm not sure since it wouldn't be in contact with the herb unless alcohol is effective in gas form. Same other Qs as above.

I think I covered this.

3) same as above, but with steam under pressure. A more expensive set up and I don't see the point.

Steam is a bad idea because pressure = temp with steam so you risk decomposition. Also steam items have been exploding and killing people for 100s of years.

4) use an herbal still, but not the kind with the oil collector. Julie has a link to this with frozen alcohol. The only point I see here is to,speed up the evaporation of the alcohol without boiling off the THC. I don't see a point! This. An be done other cheaper ways. Using frozen alcohol is looking good for any method with alcohol. I guess because the alcohol is frozen and the process speeded up witht heat, it is not extracting so much chlorophyll.

You are right that keeping the temp low decreases the solubility of ALL things and narrows the band of things that will be dissolved. But alcohols are poor solvents for THC, and reducing the temp makes them worse.

5) Extractor for solvents $400. This can be home made. I have links to most of these in my other threads and need to gather them in one spot! This one has the herb suspended above heated solvent which is condensed and drips through the herb. I have a coffee pot that is a mini version of this. I'd get shot if I ran pot and alcohol or hexane through it. :))) If I can eventually make this gadget instead of buying it, I'll trymitmout of curiosity.

As I mentioned these are not sealed if a volatile solvent comes in contact with the heating element it may explode. This is why the Tamsium has a purge line for fumes that runs away from the area it is being used in. Running a vapor phase solvent through herb sounds inefficient and heat is bad.

This gadget to purify butane and recover it is pretty neat and would save money for someone doing butane extractions on a commercial level. The extractor above also saves your solvent, but not butane. There are so many things to try out.... Not enough time and money to get them done. Maybe in a few years... :)

It indeed recovers the butane, extract, and the carrier solvent separately. If you think about it 2K is not a lot, that is like 6 good z's or a couple months of meds, worth it if it solves your problem. You could maybe get some from a dispensary to try it out, you can eat naphtha extracted straight and the pain relief is supposed to be great.

Maer, I can't find any med of any sort that relieves my knees, tendinitis, and other joint pains. Carpal tunnel is the musicians curse and an operation is the end of the road. Sadly, though I no longer play, it flares up when painting or on the computer. No real cure... If I find a bud that helps this I'll let you know. I'm sorry to hear you have to get those cortisone shots. They help for a while, but over a life time are not worth the risks to me. They did my knees a few time, never again. My hands are off limits too, even the numb one! Do you have those silly night braces? I rip mine off in my sleep. They are very uncomfortable. have you tried DMSO? I've been hunting for mine to try and will let you know. It's risky, but I plan to try DMSO with my hash. Will letchya know!

DMSO will increase absorption of all drugs you take within 12-24 hours so be careful! I have a brace and I wear it as much as I can during the day as I cant sleep with it either. I have had 3 shots and my doc says maybe 3 more and it could be a couple years of remission. Maybe when my job and life are less demanding I can try ingesting some naptha hash. I think that is the level of pain relife you need, just from reading not experience. I hate paying but go with friends to smell and look and I trade them buds sometimes - I would buy naptha extracted but have not seen it local and all this raid shit has me scared to go to any dispensary.

WOW You are a WALL OF TEXT type of guy, I will try to answer all of those questions.

So sorry! I spent an hour replying already, then my iPad ate it all. I have a prob writing too much. I stopped writing emails and just call peoples now. Lol! -Being disabled and bored in bed gives me hours to think about odd things that most people don't have time for. Too bad i didn't have this back in college... And take a more interesting career. This one won't be short, but getting shorter as I understand more. Thanks for taking time to write all of this. I'm one that wants to understand something before trying it out. :peace:

Chemistry is my thing so here goes, supercritical CO2 extractors are about the same price but only extract with CO2 which from what I have read is a poor solvent for TCH.

As a chemist, you will certain,y know fact from fable... The CO2 hash I bought was amazing, but I have to admit I've never had a chance to try hash from Naptha. This is good to know, as CO2 extraction was on my way future list to try. Your extractor is making more sense.-

Have you made it yet? I found a one gallon glass storage jar at Bed Bath Beyond. If you see it, LMK if you get one to try out. I took a pic, but am sure it's online too. My main concern is if the wide mouth will make if difficult to seal and use this way. ??

What you are doing with DI hash is breaking off trichs - whole trichs contain the whole bouquet of chemicals terpenes and everything else - a bit of wax and other inert substances.

TY! This is the info,I was looking for! I was under the impression that the trichs were pure THC, which left me confused on where the terpenes and CBNs came from. What a relief! Does Naptha extract any beneficial properties from the rest of the plant. My who train of thought is to make further extractions from the DIhash, saving time and solvent, doing more at once with less product. ??

Water distillation would seem like a poor method to extract THC. In chemistry the most basic rule of solubility is "like dissolves like" water is a small strongly polar (areas of different charge - think a small magnet) molecule whereas THC is large and mostly non polar. It would extract the more volatile (terpenes are smaller) compounds by evaporation not chemical means. TCH does not evaporate at 212F so no tch is extracted this way, and TCH is only very slightly soluble in water.-

I know THC isn't water soluble, but was under the impression that the steam and water distilling was using only the heat to extract, to vaporize the molecules, and leave a good way to collect the vaporized results. (I hope that made sense) My mind has all that sticky oil coating my volcano bag in a convenient vial. It doesn't really work out like this? Crud-

Using alcohol over an open flame is reckless, even with a hot plate its dangerous unless it is a lab quality sealed hot plate and you have proper fume hood ventilation.-

Even -with all the water? I can see open flame.... But a hot plate? Well, if alcohol is really as bad as a solvent, not worth messing with. The sticky black goo I had when evaporating my tincture in a crock pot was just revolting. Higher heat was better.... Now I read about using frozen alcohol. I guess if you have no other way to extract with solvents, it's better than nothing.

How does glycerine work as a solvent? I ordered some to try in a tincture. Love the stuff I bought from a dispensary.-

I found a kindred soul,interested in DMSO. You might be the only person in the 420 site that understands how it works. I've used it for decades on it's own and contemplate stirring is some hash and slapping it on my aches. Also thinking of adding medicinal,essential oils.... Why is no one using DMSO? It's injected and ingested in Europe. Is there any promise as a solvent for extraction, then taken orally? Yeah, tastes like garlic oysters.... but is an amazing substance. Here's the link to my other thread... Would luv your feedback! I'll give it a new thread if it's worth pursuing. :). Can MJ be distilled for essential oils?

THC will not boil out, you will collect trichs cause the outer wax will dissolve and they will fall off, not by dissolution or extraction. If at any point your temps are too high you will destroy your desired product(s). In any extraction you want to use as little heat as possible and the most selective solvent. Butane is relatively large and non-polar, a good match for THC. Alcohols are small to medium (really any size) and are partially polar and partially non polar, the larger the alcohol the closer a match to TCH. Small alcohols like methyl (HEAT gas additive) and ethyl (drinking alcohol) will dissolve some THC and lots of other compounds, larger ones like isopropyl get more selective. You mentioned hexane which is two carbon atoms larger than butane - it may be more selective than butane but IMHO is much harder to remove froom the final product. It may make a good carrier in a Tamsium (w/e trying to spell that) but reagent grade naptha is probably a better choice. I would assume the manufacturer would talk to you at length on the operation.

OK, I get why you are looking into this Naptha extractor now... I didn't know it needs pressure to ignite! Butane is seeming perfect, except for,the danger. Hexane seems popular for essential oil extraction, but footnotes of tinctures made this way say not to ingest. When you boil pot in water or bake over 250 heat, doesn't it just vaporize the THC? What temperature do need to extract with Naptha? This biggest question... How do you remove it from the oil after the extraction?-

Steam is a bad idea because pressure = temp with steam so you risk decomposition. Also steam items have been exploding and killing people for 100s of years.

You nailed that! I thought the gadget interesting.... I hate pressure cookers, like a bomb in the house. This glass contraption is even more dangerous.

You are right that keeping the temp low decreases the solubility of ALL things and narrows the band of things that will be dissolved. But alcohols are poor solvents for THC, and reducing the temp makes them worse.

Why does tincture made from frozen alcohol look more pure? Guess I won't bother with trying it

5) Extractor for solvents $400. This can be home made. I have links to most of these in my other threads and need to gather them in one spot! This one has the herb suspended above heated solvent which is condensed and drips through the herb. I have a coffee pot that is a mini version of this. I'd get shot if I ran pot and alcohol or hexane through it. :))) If I can eventually make this gadget instead of buying it, I'll try it out of curiosity.
-

As I mentioned these are not sealed if a volatile solvent comes in contact with the heating element it may explode. This is why the Tamsium has a purge line for fumes that runs away from the area it is being used in. Running a vapor phase solvent through herb sounds inefficient and heat is bad.

I forgot the real spelling and how I found it. Lol if I was doing this commercially or in huge amounts, one of these make sense. For me, no way. As a chemist.... The curiosity and fascination would have to trump the need. I hope you can get one someday! Your homemade Naptha gadget seems safe as it uses a hot plate. Is this method still your second choice to the Tamsium? I'd really like to hear how you remove the solvent from the oil. Good to hear that vaporized alcohol wouldn't extract shit. Lol

It indeed recovers the butane, extract, and the carrier solvent separately. If you think about it 2K is not a lot, that is like 6 good z's or a couple months of meds, worth it if it solves your problem. You could maybe get some from a dispensary to try it out, you can eat naphtha extracted straight and the pain relief is supposed to be great.

I missed this... The Tamsium is also used for Naptha? I won't discount the price entirely, if I am still at this in a few years. I have to be convicted pot can replace my Fentanyl patches first. No oral narcotic I've tried can compare to the patch. How can an herb? Thus..... dMSO as an idea. I need constant pain relief, 24/7. The ups and downs of pills doesn't give me that steady dose so the pain spikes up and down too. What would hash made using this method, or with Naptha be called? Does it look different that I'd recognize it on sight? I hesitate to rely on any info from a dispensary on how a particular hash was made. I will certainly call and ask!-

Switching from free prescription drugs to pot is expensive, and the search for the right strains and methods endless. <sigh> I believe I can replace all pain meds...l. But the patch. We'll see in time. I have not bought a bud from a dispensary since last Christmas. A free sample of Agent Orange Had the most potential in hash and bud I've seen yet. If I had to reply on buying enough buds to help anything, I'd go broke. No way. Grow it and make it or give up! I haven't spent more than a $500 for the summer grow, pounds of it.

Do you have any idea what delivery system these topical patches use? Is there any hope for metered pot patches?

DMSO will increase absorption of all drugs you take within 12-24 hours so be careful!

Can using DMSO topically effect oral meds too?!?! I keep it well away from my patches. That would be fatal. Does it help your ct?

-I have a brace and I wear it as much as I can during the day as I cant sleep with it either. I have had 3 shots and my doc says maybe 3 more and it could be a couple years of remission.-

I am sorry to hear it has reached that point. What do you think of the three shots you've had? Guess that warning will make me try the braces more. I walk with a cane and the brace makes that impossible to use. The canes and crutches, plus music, are what gave me the carpalT in the first place. I put enough weight on them with each step, that if my legs collapse my hands take the rest before I fall.-

-Maybe when my job and life are less demanding I can try ingesting some naptha hash. I think that is the level of pain relife you need, just from reading not experience.

Would it need decarbed or mixed with fat to work? I hope I can find some to try!! Vaporizing hash is so much better than buds... Something this pure could be the tops. :)

How do you get pain relief during the day? I can't imagine driving or working while taking this for pain. It must take years for the mental effects to decrease and not screw with your head when you need to think. Narcotics have not given me a mental side effect in 10 years. Eating enough pot is like going under anesthesia. I hope you can find something that lets you still work productively. One screw up in the lab..... (shudder)

-I hate paying but go with friends to smell and look and I trade them buds sometimes - I would buy naptha extracted but have not seen it local and all this raid shit has me scared to go to any dispensary.

Are you in the Bay Area too? If you find a dispensary that has this hash, LMK. I guess the raids don't bother me.... Except for people I have come to care about having their lives destroyed. I wish I knew other medical users. Hell, I'm new here and don't even know the neighbors or anyone. Since you can't hide a pot garden from people working on the property, -I met a fellow helping me that just smokes and smokes, no card. I test things on him, but he can't answer what helps pain or not. Lucky for me, he hires all,the other people working out here some have little concerned of being robbed. Only an idiot with a death wish robs a veteran!-

If you and your friends find strains that stand out as amazing, plz LMk. There are thousands to chose from and most people think a strong strains that messes you up also helps pain. Not so!!! The fellow that helped me learn all this I fear was a victim of the raids. A huge loss.-He had a special vaporizer that vaporized hash off the tip of a pin... Was going to buy one, darn it. It's rare to find someone not int his for the money, and into it to help other people. -Someone who soaks of knowledge like a sponge and looks for more. Why is it always the good guys who,get knocked down?-

Stay safe.... -Happy Thanksgiving!

OMG! Am Starting a DMSO thread. The results are amazing! I must try it a third time to be sure it's not a coincidence. This time, I have dish with 1/4g hash and a Tbls DMSO ready. I used the Shiva Shanty hash this time, to make comparing eAsier. I need something thick to mix the mix with so I can spread it out!

Made, Walmart w has a thick 2 gallon glass storage jar for $10. LMK IF you come across it. It might be too big! Could I make a smaller extractor with a quart jar, the. Use DI hash?

Latest on the hash pills: I tested during the day while shopping. I was in pain and exhausted. Two hours later, the muscle pain let up ( not joint) and I got all this energy! I need to increase the hash amount in the pills. Hoping the energy was a coincidence or I can't take these at night. I have MJ hash oil ready to heat for my next pill experiment.

Lusi...you are insane with good knowledge, sorry about your pain. but OMG that hash pile!

My last harvest, we are new to growing, while we were trimming I saw all this powder stuff and started scraping it up into a pile. My partner quickly picked up a finger nail tip of it and placed it in a bong. The clear bong turned so opaque white it looked like white glass or like some one dipped it into a bucket of white paint. The pile of white crystals turned orange and bubbled like molten lava and then disappeared completely, the screen was empty with no ash leftover.

I am totally hooked! If I can get a pile of that using DI hash method...I am already looking for the bags online now and confirmed I can buy the DI at the local grocery. We are growing Acapulco Gold which gives me a great uplifting high. I am also using your Coconut Oil Budder method.

Thank you for all the info!

:peace:X

Back
Top Bottom