Which of these LED light set ups would you choose?

Which mars hydro light set up for a 4'x2' tent

• 3 100x3w old model mars hydros w/ 450w actual draw

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • 1 192x3w reflector mars hydro w/ 350w draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dead Cthulhu

Hello everyone, I've narrowed my light choices to one of two options for growing in my 4'x2' space

3 100x3w old model mars hydros with a 450w actual draw

or

1 192x3w reflector model with a 350w actual draw

With the 100x3 Old model, 2 of them will cover you for approx 4.6'x2.5' for $210, and 300-340w draw.

With the 192x3 Reflector, you're covered for 4.4'x4.4' for $304 and 350-400w draw.

The Reflector has newer technology, but with that model you're wasting some coverage, since you only need about 2' one way, and it covers 4.4'.

The 96x3 Reflector claims to cover 4.4x2.2@24" Reflector LED Grow Light 96x3w - Mars Hydro

With the 100x3 Old model, 2 of them will cover you for approx 4.6'x2.5' for $210, and 300-340w draw.

With the 192x3 Reflector, you're covered for 4.4'x4.4' for $304 and 350-400w draw.

The Reflector has newer technology, but with that model you're wasting some coverage, since you only need about 2' one way, and it covers 4.4'.

The 96x3 Reflector claims to cover 4.4x2.2@24" Reflector LED Grow Light 96x3w - Mars Hydro

But with the smaller reflector is only has a 170-200w draw. Would that even be enough watts per sqft to do much, I admit this is my first grow and all i'm going on is what ive read and been told but i thought you needed a minimum of 30w/sqft with LED's and then the more LED's you added on just bumps the yield.

My original plan was 2 3x100w old models but i was told that by adding in a 3rd it could increase yield by 25-33% if i could get an extra quarter off a plant that would of just given an oz that would pay off the light. Is that 25-33% increase at all realistic?

The number you're using of 30w/sqft, is that draw power, or output? I would assume output power is more important than the draw.
You have a total of 8 square feet.
Multiplied x 30 watts per square foot
Total of 240 watts needed according to your formula.

The Reflector covers your square footage, and has an output rating of approximately 288 watts. 96x3 (96 diodes, 3 watts each)

More light CAN increase yield, but not always. As for paying off a light, and a 25-33% increase, I can't say. I haven't grown under enough lights to compare.

But at the same time, too much light can damage plants..

The number you're using of 30w/sqft, is that draw power, or output? I would assume output power is more important than the draw.
You have a total of 8 square feet.
Multiplied x 30 watts per square foot
Total of 240 watts needed according to your formula.

The Reflector covers your square footage, and has an output rating of approximately 288 watts. 96x3 (96 diodes, 3 watts each)

More light CAN increase yield, but not always. As for paying off a light, and a 25-33% increase, I can't say. I haven't grown under enough lights to compare.

But at the same time, too much light can damage plants..

From what I understand, with LED's, you use the actual wattage draw not the wattage of all the diodes combined. I might be wrong, hell i really cant find all that much info on watts/sqft so i might just go with the fact that they say 4.4x2.2 and hope for the best lol

From what I understand, with LED's, you use the actual wattage draw not the wattage of all the diodes combined. I might be wrong, hell i really cant find all that much info on watts/sqft so i might just go with the fact that they say 4.4x2.2 and hope for the best lol

Now is that 30w/sqft number stated specifically for LEDs? This would be new to me... I know there were numbers used for CFLs and HID lighting, but I didn't know there was a guideline set for LEDs.

Sorry about your math on this Antics, but 96 X 3 watt diodes does not equal 288 watts. I know it looks like it does, but you can't pull power out of the air. Check the power the light is using from the wall, then consider there are always losses. 3 watt diodes tend to run at just under 2 watt typically depending on color. So my best guess of a 96 X 3 really comes out to less than 192 watts. That's some strange math, but that's the math you really need to look at.
As far as the 30w/sqft, it may be true, but for some reason I thought it was 36 per, but then I could be wrong on that one.

Now is that 30w/sqft number stated specifically for LEDs? This would be new to me... I know there were numbers used for CFLs and HID lighting, but I didn't know there was a guideline set for LEDs.
The 30w number is meant for LED's yes

As far as the 30w/sqft, it may be true, but for some reason I thought it was 36 per, but then I could be wrong on that one.
See that's the thing, I can't find very much on w/sqft or much else like that, and a lot of what i do find doesnt match up to other numbers that I find. I'm wondering if it isnt because all LED's are really different qualities it might just be what size each manufacturer says for that specific light.

Do you think the 96x3 would work in a 4x2' tent?

Hosebomber has given 30W/sqft as a minimum with high grade LED panels. 50W/sqft would be better.

Also, LED panels beam more than we realize. You're better off with more smaller panels than fewer big ones. The reflector panel is more efficient, but the footprint is too concentrated for your space - should be a 144x3 or two 96x3s. But three of the 100x3's will rock that room!

:Namaste: :thumb:

[Edit] Oh, and I believe the 100x3 draws closer to the high end of their published range, 160+ watts, so figure 500 watts total.

hey DC,

I grow in a 4x2 space. I use a mars hydro 900w actual 500w. It works fine. It was my first light so it was/is a learning experience. Im gonna grab a new light soon so that ill have a backup and also to take advantage of newer brighter technology. I am thinking that the eshine 900 watt or a pair of mars 450 is what i want.

A lot of experienced led growers recommend using multiple lamps. I do agree with that but the eshine is a longer rectangular lamp that i think is good for a 4 x 2'

hey DC,

I grow in a 4x2 space. I use a mars hydro 900w actual 500w. It works fine. It was my first light so it was/is a learning experience. Im gonna grab a new light soon so that ill have a backup and also to take advantage of newer brighter technology. I am thinking that the eshine 900 watt or a pair of mars 450 is what i want.

A lot of experienced led growers recommend using multiple lamps. I do agree with that but the eshine is a longer rectangular lamp that i think is good for a 4 x 2'

Yeah, that's a really nice shape for 4 foot spaces ... 36 inches long I believe? And it draws about 550 watts.

Yeah, that's a really nice shape for 4 foot spaces ... 36 inches long I believe? And it draws about 550 watts.

Yes. It seems like an excellent match for the space and the par tables shown on their website are impressive. Honestly though, i am not really expecting it to excel the present lamp by much. im counting on the increased length to more evenly distribute light over the 40 inches.

Im not quite ready to pull the trigger but thats my current 1st choice.

hey everybody I'm new to LED lights i got most things down. but what would be better from hydro mars in a 2'x3'x5' space running reflector series 48x3w or 96x3w light? holding 4 to 2 plants in homemade organic worm-casting soil. any advice would be really help full before i make purchase. :)

Hosebomber has given 30W/sqft as a minimum with high grade LED panels. 50W/sqft would be better.

Also, LED panels beam more than we realize. You're better off with more smaller panels than fewer big ones. The reflector panel is more efficient, but the footprint is too concentrated for your space - should be a 144x3 or two 96x3s. But three of the 100x3's will rock that room!

:Namaste: :thumb:

[Edit] Oh, and I believe the 100x3 draws closer to the high end of their published range, 160+ watts, so figure 500 watts total.

A 96x3w reflector says it will effectively cover a 4.4'x2.2' area, would i need 2 of them? because 2 of those would be, from what i can tell, the exact same as the 192x3w just with only one power cord. I'm very possibly wrong. Could I use just one single 96x3 reflector? it doesnt have the watt draw per sqft but it says it will cover the space. I ended up spending way more than i was planning on my ventilation system to get a Phresh filter instead of a DIY and a fan controller, So I've got enough money to either get the 96x3 reflector or 2 100x3w old models now. suggestions?

hey DC,

Never heard of Eshine before, I'm looking at their page now but I can't find anything on the actual draw of their lights, just # of LEDs x the wattage of each LED. does the actual draw not matter in LED's? also I can't find any recommended area sizes for any light, actually, other than their homepage, I can't find much about Eshine or where to buy them other than the 5 old/ not growlight looking lights in their store. Just off first impressions, it would be really hard to sell me on a light with a webpage as annoying as theirs that lacks so much basic information.

"I ended up spending way more than i was planning on my ventilation system to get a Phresh filter instead of a DIY and a fan controller,"

Money well spent. Im sure youll have no regrets.

Lol yeah, I figured I'd be better off with a quality ventilation setup for better stealth and piece of mind than make some DIY filter that I'll never truly trust 100% and have a little more plant at harvest. But fuck i wasnt expecting a $170 hit on that lol and thats with a pretty basic inline fan, ventech.

A 96x3w reflector says it will effectively cover a 4.4'x2.2' area, would i need 2 of them? because 2 of those would be, from what i can tell, the exact same as the 192x3w just with only one power cord. I'm very possibly wrong. Could I use just one single 96x3 reflector? it doesnt have the watt draw per sqft but it says it will cover the space. I ended up spending way more than i was planning on my ventilation system to get a Phresh filter instead of a DIY and a fan controller, So I've got enough money to either get the 96x3 reflector or 2 100x3w old models now. suggestions?

You're still better off with two 100x3s. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Don't get too hung up on the claimed coverage. You want your LEDs spread out as much as possible, but the manufacturers want to put it all in one box and claim higher PAR.

:Namaste:

Never heard of Eshine before, I'm looking at their page now but I can't find anything on the actual draw of their lights, just # of LEDs x the wattage of each LED. does the actual draw not matter in LED's? also I can't find any recommended area sizes for any light, actually, other than their homepage, I can't find much about Eshine or where to buy them other than the 5 old/ not growlight looking lights in their store. Just off first impressions, it would be really hard to sell me on a light with a webpage as annoying as theirs that lacks so much basic information.

E.shine Systems - 3G 300x3W LED Grow Light

Decent amount of info there. Try connecting with them directly to get responses to specific questions. Also most amusing and delightfully informative website is not equated with best lamp.

E.shine Systems - 3G 300x3W LED Grow Light

Decent amount of info there. Try connecting with them directly to get responses to specific questions. Also most amusing and delightfully informative website is not equated with best lamp.

I've been to their site, and seen that page or one like it, it still doesnt state the actual watt draw, price or MSRP, or the recommended size. Hell the only one of the three of those I REALLY want to know is the price.

I dont need to find a site amusing nor delightful, i just want it to be informative. And I'm not saying they have shitty lights, i simply find their site annoying. I don't want to be required to close pop up windows on every page to see the whole page and i really dont want to have to talk to pushy sales people trying to make their commission just to find out the info the pages are missing like the price of a light.
They might have the worlds best lights, and I'm not trying to say i would never buy that brand of lights, if they impressed me and I felt like i was actually making a good purchase I would buy them, I'm saying the first impression of them from their website and lack of sellers that I can find off a quick google search is very off putting to me personally.

Back
Top Bottom