Why are the Cree lights so expensive?

Looks like I'd be buying this stuff through a special store as amazon has none of these lights available. I think this might be a long term goal thing for me lol.

but there are many others i just discovered. other brands. i might try build a small one for my veg tent sooner than i thought.
Rapid LED has almost everything in stock.

Cree is the NO. 1 led chip company. and they are very famous in this industry. Their chips are really good, very powerful, but less heat, good light output with longer lifespan. many many reasons for higher price. But in fact, Cree is not famous for led grow chips, but more likely the commercial ones. And their white leds are great, though.
You can check the market for the mostly cost efficient grow chips IMO.

There is a Chinese company that sells cheap 50w horticultural cob chips. They are a non sponsor and since I haven't tried out any of their standard color temperatures I can not vouch for them... but these chips do get delivered on time and they do light up very brightly based on a single sample.

I want to see if I can make cheap cobs match the performance of my Timber QBs. I will have to be the Guinea pig because this company doesn't advertise their cobs very well.

There is a Chinese company that sells cheap 50w horticultural cob chips. They are a non sponsor and since I haven't tried out any of their standard color temperatures I can not vouch for them... but these chips do get delivered on time and they do light up very brightly based on a single sample.

I want to see if I can make cheap cobs match the performance of my Timber QBs. I will have to be the Guinea pig because this company doesn't advertise their cobs very well.
I have tested Chinese 50w and 100w chips against the big known brands. They looked very bright however when I tested par for par with my Apogee Quantum meter, the par was crap. Just FYI

I have tested Chinese 50w and 100w chips against the big known brands. They looked very bright however when I tested par for par with my Apogee Quantum meter, the par was crap. Just FYI
Yeah, I actually changed my mind and ordered 10x Bxrc-30e4000f Vero 18's To build a couple of small cob arrays. Got them for a steal... kind of, still 'spensive but cheaper than the aforementioned Chinese cobs and solderless chip holders plus shipping. Luckily my chips will be here Thursday as they come from California vs Shenzhen Province.

Usually I don't move the light much. When the plants are seedlings and in vegetative stage but still small I just turn the power up to hit them with par and as they grow closer to the light I just turn the light down a little more and more to keep the par levels constant at the canopy.

I cannot believe I didn't even consider doing this. I've been moving mine. :oops: This has got to be much more efficient on energy usage over the course of the grow too. Geez I feel dumb right now!

Back
Top Bottom