Why not save money?

I used to do this on my Moms 20 years ago. A little extra stretch was good to take clone. Clones and Veg were still done 18/6 to keep them stacked and growing faster.

Bill

I'm all about saving money, I admit it. I'm not sure why the numbers matter all that much since it's all about triggering a cycle, from what I've found.

Interesting conversation here.

I'm trying to spend more money right now, admittedly, so learning some little tricks seems like a good idea. I'm investing in new ballasts this year, which is awesome, and I need to spend a little bit.

Totally worth it, I think. Taking things to a new level.

I don't have something catchy to say like coco dude does. :)

Great topic and idea....but I have some questions....

I have seen studies that turning on and off regular household lights vs leaving them on actually will increase energy usage because of Spikes upon start up (depending on how often switched on and off). Same with computers and other electronics....so... Does this hold true with ballasts and HID lights....? How much energy is used in the start up of lets say a 600w light vs the normal energy usage after the bulb has reached full illumination?

Also, does turning on and off a ballast or bulb increase the wear and tear of your lighting system making the equipment wear out faster? does this decrease bulb life?

I have read that plants when induced with a strobe type lighting situation will continue to allow photosynthisis even between light periods where it is dark, as long as a certain ratio of light/dark takes place...can't remember where I found this info but was very interesting....actually had me thinking about the LED police lights and LED DJ stage lights.....red and blue lights...the colors that plants use...and with the strobe effect...would this benefit my plants....just a high thought.....lol

Has anyone done a side by side comparison with this method...paying .24 cents per kilowatt hour is quite a bit and any way to reduce my usage while still promoting the best growing situation I am definitely interested in...

I find it very interesting that using only 12 hours plus 1hour in the middle of the dark period will furnish the same results as 18 hours of light....am very curious to see more proof!!

Great post!!!

Just my 2 cents worth, seen on mythbusters, that the power drain upon start-up of most lighting is negligible so imho that's a non-issue.
On the other hand I would love to see evidence of the growth in a side-by-side type grow with the same lights, nutes, strains.
In my case I just find it easier to set exhaust fans/temps easier with a 24/0 schedule in my cab.
Gets a little old hearing these "superior" methods without putting your money where your mouth is, I'll spend the little extra on hydro till I see otherwise.
:peacetwo:

I know this is an old thread, but this method works for vegging plants, cannabis being no exception. Currently, Twelve12 and Siscokid on the forums here are doing this very veg cycle (I'm sure others as well).

I read a recent article about this in a Cannabis related print magazine, and the author not only experienced significant $$ savings, but also found the plants thrived under this lighting routine. The article was very well written in that it laid out substantial energy savings over time.

Commercial growers of other flowering plants have been doing this for a long time, and if you think a dozen roses is expensive -- you wouldn't believe what they'd cost if they used the same ridiculously wasteful veg light cycle we use typically for cannabis.

I've seen enough now from members of this site, and literature I've read in several places to be confident this works. If you look and study up enough, this isn't a matter of opinion - it's hard fact. I'm afraid those who are scoffing or unwilling to try it are doing so at their own expense. Literally!

Don't get me wrong - our medicine is valuable and I understand unwillingness to change and the potential for problems people are concerned with, but I have become convinced. I wish the article I read were available online - it was a real eye opener. If anyone wants to PM me about it, I'm happy to give more info as to what print magazine it was in.

Just my 2 cents - can't wait to try this when I'm vegging again. ;)

Oh, and Icemud - turns out the extra boost of energy when a light or appliance is turned on is minuscule in the grand scheme of things (was news to me too!). Practically speaking, it almost never works out to leave a lightbulb on, for example, unless you were planning on shutting the light off for about 3 seconds before turning it on again. It's essentially, a myth. Like someone else, I saw this debunked on Mythbusters, lol!

Back
Top Bottom