Will they sprout without light?

will they sprout without the light?
Most seeds of any plant sprout without light. Very few plants will have seeds that need to be in direct sunshine for awhile to promote sprouting.

I put my Cannabis seeds into a hole I poke in the soil in a small container. Then I put that small container in the canopy over my tropical fish tank and close the lid. A couple of days later they have germinated and I take them out to put them under lights which is often the first time that they get light since they were placed in the dirt.

If a grower catches them when they first show above the surface the seed is white. It will stay white until it gets sunlight or light from a grow-light. Within minutes it will start to produce chlorophyll which is green and then photosynthesis is able to start. It is possible to watch the seedling turn from white to green in a matter of just an hour or two.

left the seeds in the water for 18 hours, dropped them in the soil. I don't have the light connected yet.
Do not leave them in the soil without a light for very long once they sprout.

Most seeds of any plant sprout without light. Very few plants will have seeds that need to be in direct sunshine for awhile to promote sprouting.

I put my Cannabis seeds into a hole I poke in the soil in a small container. Then I put that small container in the canopy over my tropical fish tank and close the lid. A couple of days later they have germinated and I take them out to put them under lights which is often the first time that they get light since they were placed in the dirt.

If a grower catches them when they first show above the surface the seed is white. It will stay white until it gets sunlight or light from a grow-light. Within minutes it will start to produce chlorophyll which is green and then photosynthesis is able to start. It is possible to watch the seedling turn from white to green in a matter of just an hour or two.

Do not leave them in the soil without a light for very long once they sprout.
I purchased the seeds from a sponsor on this site about two years ago. I got them planted in little cups sitting in my closet at the moment, temperature in there last I checked was 19C. Do you think that's warm enough? Or should I find somewhere else for them?

I got them planted in little cups sitting in my closet at the moment, temperature in there last I checked was 19C. Do you think that's warm enough? Or should I find somewhere else for them?
They should be able to sprout at that temperature but it is a bit on the cool side. It will be better if you can get the temperature up another 2 to 3 degrees Celsius. Maybe a closet or cupboard in the kitchen area. Some people like to put the cups on top of a refrigerator.

They should be able to sprout at that temperature but it is a bit on the cool side. It will be better if you can get the temperature up another 2 to 3 degrees Celsius. Maybe a closet or cupboard in the kitchen area. Some people like to put the cups on top of a refrigerator.
It's a bit cool outside where I live, so I turned up the heat. The ambient temp in the room I'm in is 26C. Is that okay?

It's a bit cool outside where I live, so I turned up the heat. The ambient temp in the room I'm in is 26C. Is that okay?

that will work. lots of guys get heat mats for seedlings. i germinate them on a shelf above my stereo amp. turn the amp on let the heat from that sprout them. works really well.

that will work. lots of guys get heat mats for seedlings. i germinate them on a shelf above my stereo amp. turn the amp on let that the heat from that sprout them. works really well.
Same as that, CD case on my amp - I also stand the pot of coco there so the temp is the same for planting

Same as that, CD case on my amp - I also stand the pot of coco there so the temp is the same for planting

just about everyone around here does something similar after they see it. i learned it from my cousin when i was a teenager lol

I'm having issues getting these things to pop, put in the soil roughly four days ago. They were purchased one year ago, from CKS.

Might be the temps, temps were recorded lowest at 19C to 20C. I now have the tent zipped up and I've placed the seeds on a medical heating pad (high temp). Seeds are in 4.00 round pots on top of a planter tray, heating pad right underneath.

I've let the tray heat for one hour. Ambient temp is 26.3C, temp of the tray (located just above the heating pad) is 26C in most spots, a couple of places it exceeded 30C (checked using an infrared thermometer). I decided to lower the temp from high to medium, will update one hour from now.

Seeds benefit from some bottom heat but too much can cook them. In nature seeds typically germinate in the spring as the soil starts to warm up, not in the heat of summer. So you need some warmth but not a ton.

Warmth, not heat.

In nature seeds typically germinate in the spring as the soil starts to warm up, not in the heat of summer. So you need some warmth but not a ton.
Good point. Even more important to consider since the seed is in a house with the artificial environment.

Plus, if the seed for a full season plant does sprout in the summer the plant might not reach full size and full flowering potential by fall.

Good point. Even more important to consider since the seed is in a house with the artificial environment.

Plus, if the seed for a full season plant does sprout in the summer the plant might not reach full size and full flowering potential by fall.
These seeds are not popping, and I'm beginning to get a little concerned. It's been five days.

Roughly how long should I wait for these things to sprout before considering this operation a failure?

These seeds are not popping, and I'm beginning to get a little concerned. It's been five days.

Roughly how long should I wait for these things to sprout before considering this operation a failure?
Five days is a bit longer than usual. How old are the seeds and how were they stored?

I have waited as long as 14 days. Have to keep the soil or media damp but not wet and keep the temperatures in range. Sometimes seeds will rot if the germination process starts and the temperature drops and stays low for too long.

medical heating pad may have cooked them. cks doesn't always have the best genetics either.

Five days is a bit longer than usual. How old are the seeds and how were they stored?

I have waited as long as 14 days. Have to keep the soil or media damp but not wet and keep the temperatures in range. Sometimes seeds will rot if the germination process starts and the temperature drops and stays low for too long.
I bought them from CKS a year ago and I kept them in the packaging in my closet until recently.

I bought them from CKS a year ago and I kept them in the packaging in my closet until recently.

they stay better in the fridge.

If you were to suggest a seed dealer, who would you recommend? I'd prefer to get the best genetics available, money is no issue.

currently i'd give @SeedsMan a shot. they are one of the sponsors. @Barney's Farm, @Herbies Seeds, @Royal Queen Seeds, are all suppliers well liked both on the board and elsewhere. make sure to cross shop and look at the board discounts.

Back
Top Bottom