Worried about too much CFL & LED light on my infant seedlings

fyfeshake

Hi 420, new grower here.

I just germinated 10 white widow seeds. They all cracked (10/10 props to Crop King) and grew taproots, and once the taproots were about 1/2" long, I planted them into solo cups. It's a coco coir / perlite medium. Moistened with pH'd water. I put the cups under about 90W of CFLs immediately. Nothing has grown and broken through the surface yet.

First of all, I'm wondering if it was a mistake to leave the cups under my CFLs constantly. I understand that seeds want darkness, but is 1/2 inch of coco medium enough to protect the seeds from harmful light? The bulbs are about 4" - 6" away. Should I have waited for them to break through the surface before exposing them to light? I think they were briefly exposed during the planting, as well.

My second question is in regards to my new Mars II 900 LED grow light. I'm really excited to start using it, but I'm worried that it's too strong to use on freshly sprouted seedlings. I'm also worried that if I start them under CFLs, that they'll have a hard time making the switch to the LED.

Hoping that somebody has some experience with this particular LED or growing with LEDs in general. I've done so much reading and research about growing in general lately, and there seems to be so much conflicting information about simple things like light distance. Need someone with experience to reassure me that I can do this LED grow!

Thanks for your time.

re: Worried about too much CFL & LED light on my infant seedlings

Hi 420, new grower here.

I just germinated 10 white widow seeds. They all cracked (10/10 props to Crop King) and grew taproots, and once the taproots were about 1/2" long, I planted them into solo cups. It's a coco coir / perlite medium. Moistened with pH'd water. I put the cups under about 60W of CFLs immediately. Nothing has grown and broken through the surface yet.

First of all, I'm wondering if it was a mistake to leave the cups under my CFLs constantly. I understand that seeds want darkness, but is 1/2 inch of coco medium enough to protect the seeds from harmful light? The bulbs are about 4" - 6" away. Should I have waited for them to break through the surface before exposing them to light? I think they were briefly exposed during the planting, as well.

My second question is in regards to my new Mars II 900 LED grow light. I'm really excited to start using it, but I'm worried that it's too strong to use on freshly sprouted seedlings. I'm also worried that if I start them under CFLs, that they'll have a hard time making the switch to the LED.

Hoping that somebody has some experience with this particular LED or growing with LEDs in general. I've done so much reading and research about growing in general lately, and there seems to be so much conflicting information about simple things like light distance. Need someone with experience to reassure me that I can do this LED grow!

Thanks for your time.

I assume your 60w bulb is a standard sized much smaller wattage light and that when you say "60w" you really mean it's "I'm equal to this incandescent bulb" number. If this is true, your bulb probably actually consumes something under 20w. Check the fine print on the bulb packaging.

This is just fine for sprouting. Be patient... we know it's hard cuz we've all been there.

To clarify on the CFL situation:

I have 42W x 1 and 23W x 2
Those are the 'true' wattages not the incandescent equivalents.
They don't cover much ground, even when the 10 seeds are in little solo cups I have to really pack them in tight. That's why I'm eager to put them all under my LED as soon as possible.

I already made the mistake with the advertised wattages lol
Got a pack of 14W bulbs that I can at least use to light my basement.

Been there... done that too.
I don't think I'd crank up that 900w (ummmm holy shit!) until they get established good with a few nodes.

I found this bad boy at Home Depot in the clearance isle the other day for $14. Grabbed 2.
20160105_1519011.jpg
20160105_151825.jpg

20160105_151810.jpg

Nice. I've been having a lot of trouble finding good CFLs in the stores where I live. Couldn't find anything higher than the 42W. Now I'm considering going and picking up a few more of those to give these seedlings a good start. Although, I really would prefer to throw them all under my new LED. Wouldn't I be able to start the light very very high over the seedlings, and lower it gradually over a few days? Or is there just no getting around it: LED lighting is too intense?

I do a pretty good veg using a 150w cfl, 2x25w old led panels, 5x23w spiral CFLs.
On the other hand, you have 10 babies going. You're probably going to need a light that big to get a good footprint.
I'd keep them under the CFLs until you want to spread them out and use the larger footprint.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get some Y-splitters only a couple bucks at home depot
WP_20150915_18_10_58_Pro.jpg

This just so its clear lol

Back
Top Bottom