Xain420's - Soil - AK 47 Xtrm Feminized - 2016 - First Ever Grow

xain420

Hey people! I am Jibran and this is my first ever grow and journal. Let's just get those specifications out of the way first (and pictures will be at the end of the post)...

Q - What strain is it?
A - AK 47 XTRM FEMINIZED (URL: AK47 XTRM Feminized Marijuana seeds - the ultimate AK47).

Q - Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
A - Indica 75% | Sativa 25%

Q - Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
A - Veg.

Q - If in Veg... For how long?
A - 20th Day as of Today (Planning a veg & flower period of 2 months each).

Q - Indoor or outdoor?
A - Indoor.

Q - Soil or Hydro?
A - Soil.

Q - If soil... what is in your mix?
A - It is potting soil. (Will provide the specifics about the mix in a day or two)

Q - If soil... What size pot?
A - Initially paper cups, now 0.5 gallon pots (I guess) & later will use 3 gallon pots.

Q - Size of light?
A - Currently using 2 x 400W MH. Will be adding more gradually as needed (up to 5 in total). For veg, will be using HPS Lamps.

Q - Is it air-cooled?
A - No (but have placed a fan directly under the lights)

Q - Temp of Room/cab?
A - 22 C (71.6 F) is the room temperature & 23 C (73.4 F) under the lights (I have the A/C on 24/7)

Q - Humidity of Room/cab?
A - 37% to 38%

Q - PH of media or res?
A - Soil PH is 5.8 & using tap water with PH 6.5.

Q - Any Pests?
A - None so far.

Q - How often are you watering?
A - When the plants feel dry up to my first knuckle.

Q - Type and strength of ferts used?
A- FoxFarm Trio and following the FoxFarm chart.

Some Additional Information:

1) Grow Room Size: 10.8ft x 9.5ft x 8.8ft (130 inches x 114 inches x 106 inches) (LxWxH)
2) Distance from the canopy to the tips of leaves: Approx. 80cm (31.5 inches) (2.6 foot)
3) Current light cycle is 18/6 where the lights are off from 12PM till 6PM. Will do 12/12 in Flowering
4) Number of plants: Will select the best 10 to 12 out of a total of 21 (The rest are just experimental)
5) Planning 2 months veg and 2 months flower
6) Will be using FoxFarm Trio for the fertilizers.
7) Will do topping and use Screen of Green (SCROG) method
8) Plants look healthy to me so far

Background Information:
Firstly, I can't thank enough 420mag for the invaluable information it is providing me with to help me get thorough this journey. The comprehensive guides, great discussions and a wonderful community all ads up to make 420mag simply the best! I am a first time grower and growing both for personal use and some plants for experimental purposes (see strains info below). Today is the 20th day of my grow. Unfortunately, I was not able to start this journal earlier, but I will try to summarize how the days went.

My location is hard to reach for postal services so it is really hard for me to order larger stuff online thus I tried to make the best of what I could find locally. I could only find non air-cooled canopies so I placed a pedestal fan focusing it on the lights to provide atleast some heat reduction and it did work and brought down a degree. I have another pedestal in the room pointing to the plants and also have the intake fan on 24/7.

For the soil, I am using a generic potting mix which has a pH of 5.8. and added perlite to it. I germinated twice using the paper towel method and was very successful. Few of the White Queens and AKs were germinated and planted 10 days after the initial plantation (Had some equipment issues). Anyways, I will be selecting the healthiest 10 to 12 plants for veg. For the rest, I might just use CFLs (will decide on that later).

I will be adding more details on the first two weeks of my grow in my next post hopefully tomorrow. If you have any specific questions please do ask.

Strains Information:

- 15 x AK 47 XTRM FEMINIZED (Main)
- 4 x White Queen FEMINIZED
- 1 x Lemon Haze
- 1 x Skunk (not sure which specific one)

My main strain is the AK. I got a lemon haze and a skunk from a friend and decided to grow them experimentally (they could be males). White Queens Fem came free with my order so they are experimental too.

I will be using 5 x 400W HPS lamps and will select 10 to 12 healthy girls for flowering.

Some questions that I have:

1) What number of plants do you think is adequate for flowering according to my grow room size and number of lights? Any light placement techniques or other suggestions?

2) As a first timer, I am really concerned about over or under watering my girls. Seems like the watering is fine thus far (or so I believe). Most of the girls look healthy. I tried the pot lift method and can't really distinguish the weights of the pots (I am practicing on it but until then using the finger dipping method where if my finger feels wet up to the first knuckle, then I water. I water the pots until the water just starts to drip from the drip holes. Any suggestions to improve my methodology? How do I alternate between ferts and plain water? Water-Fert-Water or Fert-Water-Water?

3) I have my A/C on 24/7 to maintain the temperature at 73 F. If I don't use the A/C, temperature goes to 81 F during the day and 78 F during the night. Do I really need the A/C? What should be the optimal temperatures for veg and flowering?

4) Due to the A/C, I have to keep my room door shut at all times and the extraction fan is off as well. The intake fan is on 24/7 as well. I am assuming the air gets pushed out from the small opening under my door for ventilation. Do I need to change this in any way? Should I open my door or turn on the extraction fan? The issue is that my current extraction fan is a bit noisy but I have already ordered the Rhino 8 inch extraction fan (twin speed) and carbon filter and expecting it to arrive in a few days. Until then I am trying to avoid turning on the extraction fan. Hope this is not a mistake?

5) Are my lights too high?

My main concern as of now:

1) Leaves of some of the AKs and the skunk are curling up a bit slightly. Others look healthy. (pictures are below)

Possible explanations for this (from what I have searched on the forums):
- This might not be a problem at all. In fact it could a sign of healthy rapid growth. (do you think so?)
- Might be due to constant air flow on the plants (possible? Note that only some of them are curling, not all.)
- Might be because of heat stress. (I guess not, as temperature is fine and the lights are well above the tips of the leaves.)

What do you think might be the possible explanation?

I just want to make sure I take every precaution I can to not stress my plants so would love to hear from you guys. I plan to update my journal daily or every other day from now on and hope to get some valuable feedback from you. Any suggestions, tips or tricks on what to keep in mind, what to expect or really anything will be highly appreciated.

Thank you & happy growing!

===PICTURES===

Grow Room
13072010_1071954562871498_1093818882_o.jpg

Lights
13072003_1071954526204835_2063509324_o.jpg

AK 47s & White Queens
13054927_1072061539527467_179461129_o.jpg

Lemon Haze
13016658_1072061542860800_55733652_o.jpg

Lemon Haze Heat Stress (happened once but now the plant is healthy)
13016590_1072061506194137_298281081_o.jpg

Skunk
13016895_1072061532860801_1283408983_o.jpg

Curling Issues
13045585_1071940549539566_635243228_n.jpg

13020305_1071940569539564_213842840_n.jpg

13014952_1071940576206230_1332952811_n.jpg

First off welcome to the community Jibran, lt does looks like a little leaf edge cupping is going on. If it's not heat stress than I'm nowhere to you there... Wish you the best of luck on getting to the answer, glad you've decided to journal your grow. Someone will be along to help out soon I'm sure. Till then...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Day 20:

Upon researching online further, I have decided to turn off the A/C for the veg period as I read that in veg, the temperature is fine in the 70-85°F (20-30°C) range.

I have also opened my grow room door and the windows of the house for better ventilation. I also run the extraction fan for a few minutes every other hour just in case.

The girls look healthy. No sign of heat stress as of yet. Fingers crossed.

I watered with plain water without the nutes yesterday. The soil feels wet so I have not watered today. However, I have misted them with plain tap water.

I read somewhere that you should water twice everyday? Is this valid?

Temperature while lights are on is 79°F.

day206.jpg

Day 20:

Upon researching online further, I have decided to turn off the A/C for the veg period as I read that in veg, the temperature is fine in the 70-85°F (20-30°C) range.

I have also opened my grow room door and the windows of the house for better ventilation. I also run the extraction fan for a few minutes every other hour just in case.

The girls look healthy. No sign of heat stress as of yet. Fingers crossed.

I watered with plain water without the nutes yesterday. The soil feels wet so I have not watered today. However, I have misted them with plain tap water.

I read somewhere that you should water twice everyday? Is this valid?

Temperature while lights are on is 79°F.

day206.jpg
You have to remember that they are weeds and are resilient. You do not want to water daily at that stage. It looks like once a week is more appropriate. When you can stick your finger in the soil and don't feel moisture, then water. You don't want to water log the roots. A good indication of when to water is when the leaves appear droopy, almost sad looking.
You have a great bunch of plants there. Looking good! :thumb:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom