Lusi's 1st Indoor Grow Journal - In My New GL80L Tent

Lusi

Hi everyone,

I should have done a journal for my 1st outdoor grow. That one is worth making a retro journal for! LOL I hope I can remember to update this as I go. WARNING, I write lots of details!!

:welcome:

My new Grow Lab 80L grow tent just arrived. I set it up tonight with the minimum, CFLS and T-5s for vegging. My 4 outdoor gals are chopped. The two tweens in bloom are in a different room with my new HPS since the have bugs. I'm planning a perpetual grow while IO try the different strains from seeds I bought. When I find a good one and clone it, I might switch to SOG.

I've never done this and welcome any feedback or advice. I've tried to write all the details here so people can scan through this gigantic info list! This is a medical grow in CA and all legal. :yummy:

*** Anything in Italics or Blue is questions or things I am unsure of. I'd welcome any advice and feedback on those... especially these new nutes in a starter pack.
TY!!!

On with the show!

New Grow, Strains from Seed

2 Fade Two Black from seed, Indica
#1 info: G13/Top 44 crossed with Black Domina/California Indica.
Expect heavy budding, lots of resin and sweet smelling, a hard hitting narcotic smoke.
Calyxes turn purple in the fall, showing a beautiful display.
3-4 feet tall,
7- 9 weeks flowering

2 from Rolly's Seed Mix, Indica
#2 info: "...the mix is a mix of many crosses i have done comprising of
white widow / skunk #1 / very berry / sweet tooth #3 /
early queen / super skunk / purple #1 / legends ultimate Indica /
shiskaberry / misty and blueberry all mixed in together.
These were all grown and seeded outside in the natural
sun in good organic mountain soil. so they should be interesting."
All fall into the 7 to 9 week harvest range

Strains in veg phase, sharing this grow space

Feminized White Skunk, by White Label Seeds Germinated from seed mid October, Indica
- This plant started the vegetative stage last week.
-I soaked her, including the soil and pot in neem before moving her in the bug free tent.
- I have one other of this strain in flowering phase. Only 2 of the 10 White Label seeds Germinated!! Like the older plant, this gal has her leaves twisting and curling the minute she it veg phase!???
- She was transplanted from a 1/2 gallon pot to a gallon 4 days ago. Today her roots are already growing out the bottom. Just 4 days!!! I will transplant her again, this time to a 3 gallon fake Air Pot as soon as she recovers from the neem bath and dries out.
-Her soil is mixed sand, perlite, and a generic soil

Shiva Shanti II, Sensi Seeds My first clone and a disaster, Indica
-RooTing hormone powder was used
- This is a clone taken in late September from "Rootsy" while she was in flower. 2 1/2 months later and this clone is still growing alternating branches and still has some pre-flowers and pistils near the base. I should just toss her out... She is growing large single leaves and small 3 lobed leaves with red stems. Nothing like her mother!
- She's in the same pot and soil as the one above and was also transplanted at the same time as above. She also has roots coming out the bottom after 4 days! I think the Optic Foliar nutes listed below made these plants take off! She'll also go into a fake air pot if she lives.

Shiva Shanti II, Sensi Indica, Revegging 2 plants, Curly and Rootsy who were just harvested. Rootsy has new pistils growing in her old buds, still covered in sugar. She was still on 10 hours of daylight a day. Bizarre! I hope both these plants will live, no loss if not.
-Plants harvested today, then stripped of soil down to the bare roots and immersed in a bucket of neem. They had mites so I will heavily spray in another 3 days. The neem drench was a bit too strong. Not sure if they will live!
-transplanted in smaller pots, 1 1/2 gallon nursery pots
-same soil as others
-Both were germinated from seed, outside in May. I'll be making a retro journal about them and the other 2 harvested, my first grow.
- I'm trying this out since I have so few plants right now. There's no place to buy clones and seeds take a while to get going. I still have 50 more seeds and 8 strains to use up!

White Skunk 2 clones that were taken in bloom, my 2nd try. This time I used gel packs. A waste of $$, doubt they'll live!
-clones taken in early November, no roots yet. The Gel in the packs is turning green around the roots. :-(
-These were gently dunked in neem for a few seconds
-The healthier one spit out a seed today when I picked her up. I had a male SS clone nearby that was taken while in flower. He nailed her pretty quick, the little bugger! LOL I planted the seed in a corner of the oasis foam.

INDOOR Grow Area Set-up

Area 15 sq ft
2'7"x4'11" Grow Lab 80L tent, new.
-metal shelves added in half of this (all I need to use right now)
-30x30 square basin, $18 Tractor Supply, a rabbit cage bottom line. Awesome find!!
-the tent is in a 10x13' room

Light
-Seedlings: HTG Tek light 2 4'T-5s made to fit in a 2' hood
-Vegging: So far, 160W of CFLs. Eight of these (4 2700 23W, 4 6500's 23W) are made into a home made reflector using bathroom fixtures. Two 13W in one round reflector with Y socket adapter, and 1 42W 2700 in a smaller metal round reflector. Not sure if these are enough...
-Flowering: I have a 150W HPS and 600W HPS with Lumatek dim-able ballast. The 150W might be needed for veg stage, not sure yet. 600W is for the flowering only.

Ventilation
-Vortex 6" 449cfm, is placed on roof until the filter and light are needed for flowering (dang this sucker is loud!!!!! Is this normal?)
-8" clip on fan
-the passive mesh vents alone the bottom of the tent are open since light is not a concern
-2 8" duct socks are left open and covered with mesh. The fan is too strong, but hopefully will be better once the filter is on.
- open window, may need to open the door too
-exhaust back into the room since I'll be moving and the floros aren't very hot. Exhaust will vent into the closet crawl space, if I haven't moved by the time I switch to the 600W HPS for flowering

Filter
-Can Fan 33, not in use yet
-mesh screens on all vents

Plant care info:

Technique
- Will try to FIM or top the 4 new seedlings, this is an experiment on FIM. LST was awesome outside! Not sure if it is the best method for indoors?? ScrOG seems too difficult to move about and reach. Will try SOG some day after I find the best strain and have a mother plant.
- re-vegged plants will be LST again
- the vegging clone is already a bush
- vegging seedling will be FIM, or topped if I mess up
- 2 unrooted clones, if they live will be fIM

pots
- seedlings/ seeds: in a plastic dish with plastic cover
- 2 tiny clones: each in a gel pack (must look up the name)
- vegging seedling and clone: 1 gallon black nursery pots
- 2 re-vegging plants: 1.5 gallon black nursery pots
- Other pots: these are the pots I have to use for this grow... out 4" square black plastic nursery pots, 3 & 5 gallon fake air pots, 5 gallon white square nursery pots with mesh bottoms, 1/2, 3 & 5 gallon HTG cloth pots, pond plant mesh pots

Soil
-Starting from seed using Oasis foam in a tupperware dish with covered with a dome. There are 4 MJ plant seeds plus veggies and flowers in the same dish.
-See the other plants for the soil info. At this time, I'm still looking for a better soil or mix for soil! Sand, perlite, and budget soil. The sand is left from my outdoor mix.

Water
-tapwater, PHed to 6
-water meter, so far every other day
-Ferts added every 3rd watering. (feed, water, water)

Fertilizers
New seeds/plants will be using the Technaflora Starter kit and schedule:
-B.C. Grow veg (1-3-6)
-B.C. Bloom (1-4-7)
- B.C. Boost (3-0-2, Ca, Fe) The Instructions Say to use with every feeding, until pre harvest. Why don't they just include these nutes with the BC Grow and BC Bloom?? I thought you needed LESS N in flowering. I don't understand this... Should I only use it for vegging? Are the grow and bloom enough ferts by themselves... in case I order them again?)
** I'm confused, thought more N for grow and less N for Bloom?!

Vegging plants: use any leftovers form the kit, then Miracle grow tomato food until it's gone. (18-18-21)
Flowering: Use leftovers from Starter kit, then Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom until it's gone. (1-4-5)

Advanced Nutes:
-Root Juice (vegging)
-Super Thrive (all)
-Spray n grow (all except late flowering, foliage)
-Coco wet (all, is it needed for Spray n Grow, can I use it with Neem? Do all foliar sprays, including nutes and bug killers, need coco wet? Is it good for adding to nutes at all, soil or drench? The instructions on the bottle are terrible!)
-Optic Foliar mix: (only free trial sizes for plants in crisis) The guys making these used to work for the DM nute co. I supposed to be the same as Saturater, Liquid Light and other DM foliar nutes. They made my vegging plants grow roots out of their pots 4 days after transplanting them! The plants are growing like crazy. I bought Coco Wet and Spray- n- Grow before I got these samples. I hope they will perform as well as these!
Part A:-Transport, Fert Supplement A
Part B:-Megawatts, Fert. Sup. B
Part C:-Rev, Fert. Sup. C

These next nutes are samples from the Tecnaflora Starter Kit, for trying on my 4 new seeds/ plants only. Any leftovers from mix are used on other plants. Do I need all of these in the future?!
-Thrive Alive B-1 Green (1-1-1) (This and the Red are the same, except green is Organic)
-Thrive Alive B-1 Red (1-1-1) (I'll use this one up 1st, though the instructions use both. Are these similar to Super Thrive? What is their purpose, are they even needed in the future?)
- Sugar Daddy (instructions say to use this from seedling to harvest. I thought molasses was only needed for pre harvest?! This one says it contains Magnesium, Sulfur, and Cane Sugar... no molasses.???!)
- Root 66 (Likely the same as Root Juice)

- B.C. Boost (3-0-2, Ca, Fe, It says to use with every feeding, until pre harvest. Why don;t they just include these nutes with the BC Grow and BC Bloom?? I thought you needed LESS N in flowering. I don't understand this...)
- MagiCal 2-0-0, Ca, Mg, Fe (Why would I need to use this up until the day of harvest? I thought more Nitrogen was bad then... Is this needed/ useful, after my sample is gone?)
- Awesome Blossoms 2-11-11 (Is this better as a foliar spray or in with the ferts?)

Pest Control:

Indoor sprays:
-Green Light Neem concentrate (clarified) $20 makes 16 gallons (I heard not to use this indoors because the HPS will fry the leaves, even if i spray it in the dark cycle. Is this true? There is no instructions for a soil drench or dip. I used 2Tbs per gallon, hope my plants live. Any info is welcome)
-f!) Bayer insect and fertilizer spikes. (Imadacloprid)(for non-food plants only, but awesome stuff! Used it in the EU for aphids and white flies! It's awesome for house and container plants! Can I at least use these for the vegetative stage? It would be gone by flowering or I could remove what is left in the soil when I transplant. Please let me know if I can. I bought the entire display case of these for 1/2 price!!)
-Don't Bug Me by Fox Farm. Pyrethrum (sp?) This seems like a very low percentage of Pyrethrum in here. I like this better than any other spray, plants, house, me, cats, horse... all safe to use)
-Safer insect killing Soap. (Not impressed, but better than bio dish soap. Is it useful inside?) Will use til gone
-General Hydroponics Azomax (Azadirachtin) $20 makes 4 gallons!? Will save it for fungus. (This is extremely expensive. Is it that much better than the other neem I have? I'll save what's left for the new seedlings)

Outdoor Sprays (some might be useful for indoor)
-Green Light BT Worm killer concentrate $17 makes 32 gallons (#1 pest outside!! I wish I had bought this earlier in the season. Every plant i have was covered in caterpillars. Worse than mites!!)
-Deltamethrin (Europe) (this ingredient is in many sprays. is it useful for MJ or inside?) Will use til gone
-Rotenone (France) (Any use for MJ?) Will use til gone
- Lecithin from Soybean plant for powdery mildew in fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants. (didn't do much, neither did the EU neem derivative Azadirachtin in my powdery mildew) Will use til gone

Good Grief!!!! This took me 5 hours to write, it's 0445. Hopefully, I won't have too much to correct on here tomorrow. I'll ad pics of the new set up then. If whoever reads this is still awake, I'll be shocked. I must have napped while writing... need sleep badly. LOL :snooze: TY for visiting!

Lusi

Re: Lusi's 1st Indoor Grow Journal, In my NEW GL80L Tent

Hey fellas, Thanks for joining my journal!

My computer crashed while hibernating and ate all of my notes and the 60 plus photos I was editing. It might be a while to get all of that done again! I was trying to narrow down the pile of photos I took. I got a bit trigger happy with the camera... :-D I wish I didn't have to edit every darn pic to a smaller size, what a PITA!

You fellas have some neat set ups. J4 I can't wait to see what can be done in a computer case with CFLS. That was the size I was originally planning to deal with before things got out of hand and got bigger. I'm going to have to make a few soda can reflectors for my too! That's much better than my home made CFL reflector. I good improvement to make.

Lotz, is that a secret Jardin 120W? Bigger? I'd like to see how you have the airflow set up since your bottom passive vent are closed. I had to open all of these and two 10" duct socks, which I stuffed mesh bags into in hopes to keep the bugs out. Still, my tent is being sucked in. LOL I'll read these more after I'm done with my set up photos.

The plants I have left now are all showing nute problems. I'm hoping I'll get the new seeds on a better start this time and hopefully figure what is wrong with the older plants.

Here's to a new start! :blunt:

TENT INFO and SETUP

WARNING! Long detailed info about tent and setup, with links and prices. If you are not in the market for a tent, skip this part!!! It's long and dull to read. :snooze:

OK, I got a few pics done before photoshop crashed again. I'll try to add pics and links as I go. This will be about the tent set up. I was going crazy trying to find a list of what was needed to get a tent up and going. Since I learned the hard way, I'm including this long winded info in case someone else may need it. Man,now I'M falling asleep!

For all TENT shoppers, here's the best place to learn about the models you can buy. Keep in mind the review is based on older model tents.
grow-tent-review.html

I bought the GL80L tent at BGH. They did a price match for $215 instead of $237. I originally purchased the GL120 tent from them, but it had a rip. This size works much better for me anyway!
Here is where I bought the tent. I talked to Janet in customer service and she was extremely helpful!
GrowLab Horticultural Grow Room - GL80L | Grow Rooms
Here is where I should have bought the same tent. Free Shipping and no tax, unless in CO. Shipping and tax cost me over $100 more from BGH.
GrowLab GL80L
Here's a pic of the tent all zipped up:
Grow_Lab_80L_11Dec10.jpg

The zippers are annoying, but perhaps I'll get used to them.

I had someone zip me up inside the tent. It was much more light fast from inside than out. The drawstring type ducting socks are almost impossible to close up tight. If a problem, a piece of duct tape or a black sock or rag in the opening would solve the problem. I ended up needing two of these vents to let air in, so I placed a mesh bag over them. Light isn't a big issue to me.

Now the outside of the tent had a few more light leaks since the light inside the tent is extremely bright. There were pin hole leaks on the corner stitching and the bottom zipper lets a bit of light show. The rest of the light is from the 3 passive mesh vents I have open. There's no smell issue yet. I'll simply turn all of this off if someone nosy, like the land lord, comes over. I'm expecting her soon. :-(

SO here's a bad pic of the tent with lights out. It someone wants ,me to, I can take one with the mesh vents closed. LMK Keep in mind the bottom vents are open. I circled the real leaks.
tent_leaks.jpg

Not much to see, so I marked the few holes.

You'll see in the first photo, I have the fan just sitting on top of the tent's roof vent. Since there's no odor until late flowering, I decided to just use the fan alone. The filter and HPS light with ducting will come later. I'm not sure of filter life, but why use it if I don't need it?! Between the light, filter,m and fan weight, I am very glad I bought the tent with the strongest frame!

The fan is a Vortex 6" 449cfm. BGH Price match it to $149.90. Do NOT order from the plantlighting website!! I just used it for a price match. BGH said they had no return, no customer service, no one to call etc. They still were great and matched the price. A Can Fan best matches my Can filter, but I wanted more CFM air flow! The Vortex was the lowest priced, next to the economy types. I hope i got the right thing... being new at this leaves me vulnerable to a good salesmen. LOL
Vortex 6" Centrifugal Fan 449 cfm | Exhaust Fans & Circulators

Here's the match:
Vortex 6 inch 449 CFM High Power Inline Fan - Plantlighting Hydroponics

The filter is a Can Fan 33. The fan is a little too strong for this filter, but could always be dimmed if need be. A matching Can Fan to this filter was about $40 extra! I won't be using this for a while... This one was $99.95.
Can-Filter 33 - 13" Carbon Filter | Air Cleaners/Odor Control

Here's the links and prices for the rest of the accessories. I prefer to shop in one spot rather than bargain hunt these smaller items:
$21.10 dual digital timer) Dual Outlet Digital Timer | Timers
$16.95 (yo-yo) Grow Yoyo Light Hanging System | Grow Light Movers & Hangers
$3.42 (two 6" worm duct hose clamps) 6" Duct Hose Clamp - worm drive | Fan Accessories
$11.95 (can flange 6" kit, less for other brands. Not sure if I need these at all??)BetterGrow Hydro Online - Can Fan Flange - 6"
$21.95 (6" 25' ducting)6" x 25' - Flexible Aluminum Duct Hose | Fan Accessories

If I had not upgraded the fan , filter and parts, this is the tent with normal accessories. My 6" upgrades and price matches were about $40 extra!!
GrowLab GL80L w/ Accessory Kit | BGH

Did I miss anything? :wood:LMK before I open all of these things up. LOL!!

That's a wrap on the tent set up. My original GL120 tent was 4x4. This one is 2.6x5. I chose the GrowLab tent over the Secret Jardin for these reasons:
1) The new Secret Jardin tent does NOT come in the size 150W!! After having the 120 model for a bit, I learned a wide more shallow tent would be easier to deal with. My back pain doesn't let me reach out without knife pains. Secret Jardin older models are still out there in the size 150W.
2)The passive vents on the grow Lab open from the inside, the Jardin, the outside. My tent is not sitting in the middle of a room. Whose is?? It's in a corner with boxes on the opposite side. It I wanted to close the bottom vents, I'd have to move the boxes and drag the tent out form the wall to reach them. With the Grow Lab, the vents open to the inside. It's a lot easier to move a plant or two than the entire tent. I can safely leave my vents open day and night. If someone comes over, it's easy to shut them if need be! Don't be fooled by Grener's tent review which claims vent openings from the outside are better. Think first where you want to put your tent, then decide. Many People don't use these vents, but I like them.
3) With the 4x4 model, the side access of the SJ sounded perfect. Then I remembered that all sides would be covered up. Furthermore, the sides on the SJ are just window openings. I'd have to lean over and stretch to reach plants like this. Most likely I'd hurt my back and fall over. I can't even stand outside the bathtub and reach in to clean it.
4) The frame is better than other models.
5) better zippers. The GL has too short of a flap on the bottom zipper to block the light. An easy fix. The SJ has a weaker zipper that in the Dark Room models often splits or pops the seams. The GL zipper for the door is a real PITA!!! That's the main fault of this model 3 zippers for what one curved one does.
6) heavy duty material. The other tents I have seen have thinner material. They also look cheap with green or blue piping. Silly, I know. I like the black box look. :grinjoint:

If anyone actually reads all of this, I'll die from shock! LOL :byebye:

Next, the inside set up. If I can stay awake for this... (yawn) Can't wait until this detailed stuff is behind me!

Anyone left alive out there?? Ah, my sense of humor is so very dark!

Tent INTERIOR Info and Setup (another snoozer Alert!!)

WARNING, more long details, including links to buy these items. :snooze: If you're not shopping, ya might want to pass this one up too. The rabbit tray IS a good find. LOL!!

Some background info first... I have completed only 1 grow, and it was outside. The heat and bugs drove me mad, but it was a great way to learn about cannabis before investing the time and money into an indoor set up. I've decided to give this indoor thing a good try. The $500 for my birthday seemed the perfect solution to my problems! I'm really not healthy enough to get into a DIY set up, yet I hate to waste money... My Mother In Law would faint if she knew what I did with her$500!!:angel:

My goal here is to learn how to grow MJ and hopefully find a strain for my pain. I'll try to keep things simple and upgrade later if need be. Any ideas? LMK! I love to experiment and re-invent the wheel. Can't help it!:blunt:

Here's the stuff that goes in the tent, so far. Maybe by the time I'm done with this, some of those seeds will have sprouted. :)

I don't know about everyone else, but those darn hydro trays cost a fortune. A 2x4 would not cover the area in my 31"x59"' tent and cost me $50 and up. I'm using soil, but want some trays under my shelves on the floor to catch extra runoff, spills and dirt. My first thought was of livestock supplies. I headed over to Tractor Supply and found exactly what I needed!! They have a 30x30" dropping pan for a rabbit cage, only $17.99! I bought one to try, then immediately tipped a plant over. It was easy to clean up without taking the tent floor out. I'm going back this week for another one. It will be a tight fit as the tent is 59", not 60". I'm crossing my fingers. Here's the link:
Home Rig House™ Plastic Dropping Pan, 30 in. x 30 in. - 2180597 | Tractor Supply Company
You can sort of see the bottom here:
shelves_in_tent_dec2010.jpg

Next, I dragged out my mini greenhouse shelves I've had for 8 years. As a greenhouse, they were useless, but make a perfect fit here at 27"Wx19"Dx63" high. The cover is useless and will let off fumes of heated. Don't need it anyway. I removed one of the middle shelves and the top.
Misco Home and Garden 4-Shelf Greenhouse : Target

The CFL reflector was never completed as it works good enough for now. I bought 2 4 bulb bath fixtures and had planned to make a tin reflector from air duct supplies. I just used to heavy duty extension cords, then chopped the ends of to wire in. This was cheaper than buying the wire and plug separately. They are held to the shelves with hooks, coat hanger, electrical tape, and some metallic bubble insulation on top to reflect down. I see now that little soda can reflectors would work even better and allow more air flow, plus extra light from the T-5s. I never get around to finishing DIY things... some day! I have 8 23W bulbs in these, 4 2700 and 4 6500. The 2 extra round reflectors have a 2700 42W bulb and a Y splitter to hold 2 13W bulbs. There were supposed to be 23's. (oops) Here are the fixtures, $13 each:
Hampton Bay 4-Light Bath Bar - HB2051-35 at The Home Depot

CFL_reflector.jpg

The last item of interest would be the T-5 Tek lights. This is from HGT. It has 2 4' HO T-5 bulbs, but each bulb holds 2 2' bulbs, 5000 lumens each. It's cheap at $69 and fits into a 2' space. The reflector is very good!
HTG Supply - 2 Foot 2 Lamp PL-55 Tek Lamp

That's about it for the set up. One digital timer with battery back up, 2 round reflectors from Home Depot, a yet of yo-yos for the light, a small clip on fan, and a power strip.

I have 3 lettuce seeds sprouting, so I've moved the seed container in after this last photo. I'll fill in the plants and info tomorrow! The trial clones should be quite dead by then!
half_tent_set_up.jpg

Well, this is all making me sleepy. I feel sorry for anyone reading this. heheh (evil laughter)

Lotz, is that a secret Jardin 120W? Bigger? I'd like to see how you have the airflow set up since your bottom passive vent are closed. I had to open all of these and two 10" duct socks, which I stuffed mesh bags into in hopes to keep the bugs out. Still, my tent is being sucked in. LOL I'll read these more after I'm done with my set up photos.

Yes it is a secret Jardin. I don't know the model of the tent because I got it from a friend that tried growing himself and it didn't work out. He doesn't really pay attention to details so he didn't even know himself, but when I measured it was about 116"x116", so just under 10'x10'

Introducing the top shelf seeds and clone:

My eventual goal here is to have a perpetual grow going. Getting started is the hard part! I'll either make a separate vegging and flowering area in the tent, or make a small box for the vegging. I'll see how it goes first.

Here's a new pic of the entire tent set up. I have plenty of space! (for now)
tent_set_up.jpg

On the top shelf, I have a container with 4 MJ seeds and other herbs and vegetables. The seeds are in Oasis foam, which was very inexpensive and seems to keep the moisture at a good level. I have all of these on a seed heating map ($23) and with a tall dome over them ($8) to keep the humidity. I also have 2 experimental clones taken off a newly blooming White Skunk. One of these lived long enough to spit out a seed.?! It's dead now. The other might make it, not likely. Temp goal is 72 with lights. I'm at 77 now. Can CFL reflectors I hope will allow better air flow. I just have to drink all of the beer in the cans first. :)
Here's the seed tray, remaining clone is on the left. It will be dead soon enough!:

seeds_set_up1.jpg

For these 2 clones, I tried out the gel packs where you simply poke your cutting through the foil top and let it sit in there until it grows roots. I bought these in spring, hoping to keep them in the car and take flower cuttings and herb cuttings of local perennials. I have a rental house and refuse to spend money on nursery plants, only to move again.

These gel packs are a complete waste of money!! I have tried many varieties of flowers and now two MJ clones. Not one has lived in the 7 months I've tried these out. The only use this gel has that works is to use a rooting cube and fill the hole up with gel. This works great. Still, the $1 cloning gel works much better. The stuff I bought did not come with a little green house... I should mention my local nursery won't be carrying this product any more. They agreed it doesn't work well and costs too much. Here's what the bad gel looks like:
clone_rooting_gel.jpg

Here's the 2 clones, prior to death. They were taken in September and still have no roots. The one in front is the one died died. The other looks grim. No big deal, I'm still experimenting!! I have a lot of seeds... The clones were to practice and test products. No loss if I learned something. :)
BB_clones2.jpg

Today, I removed and threw away one clone in this pack. It was covered in mold and the gel was turning green. The other won't live, but at least I'll see whether it had roots growing or not!

I have signs of one MJ sprouting seeds. :) The 4 lettuce seedlings sprouted with the roots growing above the cube. Weird. They are dead now.

If anyone has a good method that keeps your seed area most, but not damp, please let me know! I waster the oasis cubes at night and by the next evening they are dried up. WTH??

Hey guys,

What the heck do you do when you go on vacation? It's not too stealthy to tell someone about your grow to babysit it. I'm having a few problems and could use a bit of advice...

I'm having problems in the oasis cubes soaking all the water up in just a few hours. I put the dome back on them and the temps jumped up. I guess I'll remove the tray heater before they all have sprouted. Making those CFL reflectors should help with the heat. I thunk the first sprouted seed came up root first !!!? and died. 1/4 already down. :-(

I filled up the seed tray until the oasis floated, but it is too saturated to leave it like this. I added a peroxide gadget that turns it to O2, used in small aquariums instead of an air pump. What I new need is a way to make a floating seed mat for the Oasis foam, holding them in the water enough to stay wet. I have to leave on vacation for 5 days soon. The older plants should be OK in several inches of water. Their roots are healthy.

If anyone reading this has any ideas on plants and vacations, LMK. I'm also looking for a way set up a gravity drip irrigation system, using something like the micro drip for patios and water spigot. Instead fill a 5-10 gallon barrel, add an electric timer, the run the small hoses to the plants. The water pressure isn't enough to use the drip ends or sprinkler ends. I'd have to leave the hoses open and control the flow with clamps or clothespins. All seems like an easy idea... on paper. LOL A sturdy bucket with silicone to seal in a spigot would work. How in the heck do I get a 50 pound plus bucket up high enough, in a tent, to give enough water pressure? I guess I don't have to have this in time. I have those ceramic cones that have a tiny hose you hand into a water bottle. They don't work very well, but this or filling the tray up with water are the easiest options. The drip idea would be awesome in daily use :-D

Guess I'd better work on the next and hopefully last section of details... Happy growing!

Introducing the Tweens

I've developed the habit of naming my plants, once they seem destined to live. This is depressing during harvest time, like killing your pet rooster for Thanksgiving dinner. Still, how a name is easier than a description of the plants each time. :yummy:

Ok, here is the one surviving White Skunk seedling from the 8 in this batch. Only 3 of 8 germinated!?? Twister had her bottom leaves turning pale green on the edges. I fed her Magical hoping it was a magnesium issue. So far, no changes. Twister's new growth is healthy. I tried to FIM her, but think I just chopped off the tip. I named this plant Twisted Sister, just Twisted. Shows ya my age. LOL! She was germed mid October and almost died. Bad start. Here's a few pics, notice the curled lower leaves...

twister_full_view.jpg

twister_top.jpg

Here's her nute issue pic:
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/Twister_Mag_def_prob.jpg

I also have an older plant of this strain in flower. Both are a pain in the ass! Both plants looked twisted and folded, tortured and maimed from the day they got their first leaves. I thought I was doing something, but now am unsure. I'm including a photo of WS, currently in bloom in another room. She had mites... they are never destroyed for good. :-(

If anyone reading this happens to know what is wrong with the blooming gal, I'd appreciate it! She germinated in Early August and was outside a few months. When younger, she also had twisted folded leaves. Both plants PH 6.8, watered with 5.5-6. I've flushed the, the both and re-fertilized them. No changes. These tucked leaves make great hiding spots for bugs.

Here's WS:
WS_full_curl.jpg

Here's the close up of the curls. Notice how few pistils and how tiny the leaves remain now that the fan leaves are dead. The leaves are about an inch long. ???!

WS_under_curl.jpg

While I'm showing the problem plants and flowering plants in the other room, I might as well share BBG. She is a Shiva Shanti II plant and has been raised exactly the same as WS! The caterpillar corn borers hit her hard and I had to cut off the tip and many buds. She is short and compact with dense thick nuggets. A shame she is dying! All of her fan leaves are now removed, so other are turning brown/ white with purple in the veins. Flushed many times and re-nuted. No change. So farm I do not have one single healthy plant to put in my new tent. This blows.
Here's BBG:

BBG_sick_2.jpg

BBG_sick_1.jpg

My next plant, "Fluffy" is my first MJ clone experiment. I cloned her in Lat September from "Rootsy" (Shiva Sahnti II) who was in early flower and at the time my healthiest plant. It took her until late November to develop roots! Along with Twister, she took off after her transplant on 11 Dec and in 4 days had roots shooting out the container bottom. I'll give credit to the 3 trial foliar feeds I mention in the first post. She is named fluffy because she looks like a squat ball of air and fluffy leaves. I've never trimmed her, but she has more shoots then I can count. Though she's been under 24 hours of light for over 2 months, her branches are still alternating and there still a few white pistils at the stem. She also has a nute issue. I fed her MagiCal in hopes it was the right move. Here's pics:

Fluffy_shiva_shanti_clone.jpg

fluffy_top_16Dec10.jpg

Here are 2 more of Fluffy. Both show her nute prob and wacky branches with thin mutated leaves. I should have chopped her, but since the clones in gel packs died, I let her live. It's not like i have anything else to take up the space! LOL

fluffy_nute_mg.jpg

Fluff_mutie.jpg

Last in the tent is the two recently harvested plants that I'm re-vegging. I doubt they will live since I stripped them down to the bare roots (very poor roots thanks to the cloth pots) and soaked them for 1/2 hour in neem. Poor Rootsy had sprouted fresh pistils in her buds awaiting harvest. The soak killed them. Better these two gals die than bring in a single bug. I'm just re-vegging because I have nothing else to put in my tent.

Here's Rootsy and Curly Now:

revegging_rootsy_curly.jpg

Here's Rootsy when she was blooming. She was the best of the bunch, until a neighbor threw a tree branch on her and I had to dig her up to move her. :-(
This pic is after a huge storm. It was easier to support her tipped over.
Rootsy-view.jpg

For some reason she started reblooming from her old buds while still not harvested and still under the 10 hour light. I killed all of these pretty buds in the neem soak. :-(
reviving_rootsy.jpg

Curly is the other plant I'm re-vegging. She had a bad start and grew up less than 24" OUTSIDE. Still, she recovered wonderfully and lived in my flower pot in pain site. I LSTed her and got 2 ounces from her. Not bad for a tiny runt!

curly-in-planter.jpg

This is catch up for now. I'll fill in about my other plants of such when things look dull... like now. I love taking pics, but keeping this log is bunch of work!
:)

My New Seedling Tray Inventions, Vacation watering solutions, and transplant time. One day OVERLOAD!!

My plants are going mad! My few spouted seedlings under the open dome all fried and once again the container went from too moist to too dry over night. I am returning to the paper towel germinating again. I've put another Fade 2 Black Seed in a wet paper towel, in a baggie, in a warm spot. In the past 2 starts, I've had seeds Germinate in 48 hours! It's been over a week direct in the Oasis cubes. Now, what to do about the water and heat. I'll soon be gone a few days.

I warned everyone I like to invent things, it's a shame I can't build most of my ideas due to my poor health. So, here's the first creation of this thread, complete with wacky ideas. :blunt:

First, I must buy or design a wicking seed tray to keep the oasis cubes evenly moist for several days if possible. I have a Styrofoam floating root cube holder that was supposed to control the moisture. It was a waste of money. Now I need to make my on Styrofoam inset to float at the right level in several inches of water. I have a few 1/4" chunks of foam from moving.

I cut the foam to fit in a deep travel size cat little box, added enough oasis wet cubes to fill it up, then started cutting holes in the foam a bit at a time until the Oasis was about 1/4" under water. There about 3-4" depth in the cat littler box. I don't have good pics of this yet.
new_seedling_tray_invention.jpg

full_seedling_set_up.jpg

I was playing with Hydrogen Peroxide mixes in the water. I don't trust this much... Instead, I had to think of a better way to get air to the water the cubes float in. I have a small pump and air stone around here somewhere, but decided my mini oxygenater for a small aquarium might be the perfect solution. I tried to cut a hole in the corner of my floating foam to make room for this. I can use drugstore grade peroxide to run this, so the cost in cheap. :) I hope all of this works.... time runs out to make changes! Here's a pic and manuf info:
Aquarium Oxygenator - the Oxydator

oxygen_maker.jpg

If the dried up seedling tray and wasted precious seeds weren't enough madness for one day, Twister and Fluffy are also not staying moist enough over night. WTF?????? I transplanted both of these on December 11th from a 1/2 gallon Cloth Smart pot (no roots in them at all!) to one gallon Nursery pots. I mention 4 days later roots are poking out the bottom. I though surely they can't be root bound when their pot size doubled a few days ago?! Well, since they dried up overnight, I removed the root ball from the one gallon pots. Sure enough, both the plants are root bound again, just 8 days after transplant!!!
Here is fluffy just 8 days after being transplanted into this one gallon pot!:
Fluffys_goes_rooty.jpg

Here is Twister!!
Twisters_last_transplant.jpg

Since these 2 plants were not my main focus, I was not prepared with a step up size pot yet. The only thing I have left are the two 3 gallon fake air pots. Those darn things are a PITA to put together!!! Better be worth the trauma... I have tested my Smart cloth pots and compared them over and over to plastic nursery pots. Not once has the cloth pot been better than or equal to the nursery pots. I have photos to back this up! The cloth ones might work better with a grill under them... not good enough for me. I'm continue to test the ones I have, but will not use them any more for my MJ plants!!!! Here is the cheaper brand of air pot I have: (this is my first test)
RootMaker, The Original Root Pruning Container System.

Place to buy them:
GrowAnnex.com: ROOT BUILDER II 3 GALLON: Home & Garden

Now I have two small plants with huge root systems and huge pots. This is the first time ever I've had a plant with good roots. :) Since these leftovers are still being fed Miracle Grow Tomato food (til it runs out), I must give the credit to the foliar 3 part mix I was given samples of. Nothing else has changes. Even the lights are the same! It's a tight fit in there now. Now change in the 2 re-vegges.
space_is_tight_19Dec10.jpg

So here it is past 0300 am and I'm just finishing. The two ladies were given more Miracle Grow and Root Juice. Both will hopefully run out soon.

Tomorrow, I must remove one of the shelves to make room under the CFLs. Gotta buy some tin snips to make the can CFL reflectors. Gotta buy some silicone glue and seal my experimental vacation watering system. I just ordered this watering drip system I've been thinking about for a few years. It was hard to find a place to sell these in the US. :-( Likely won't get here in time for Xmas. <sigh>

If the seed tray set up works for a few days at a time, I can easily wind a watering set up for the older plants! Here is the indoor gravity or outdoor hose drip irrigation system I ordered:
Tropf Blumat Drip Irrigation at Home Harvest® Garden Supply

Here is the manufacturer's website. I already have the little houseplant wateres. I've used these for years in Europe. They are better than nothing, but not useful in the hot outdoor climate or for picky plants that need evenly watered soil. I meant to buy the better system a few years back. Glad to see they are sold in the US!!
Tropf Blumat - fully automatic watering systems

Next for the task in the nute issues. Darn it! I guess everyone viewing my grow journal fled after seeing the pages of tech info.

Nutrient NightMares, what is Wrong?

These issues have been going on for a while. I just can't find a solution to make these plants happy. :-( Will post this in the Sick Plant Section too...

Here is Twister. The large lower leaves are still folding in. The undergrowth has dark veins in pale edges. The rest of the leaves twist, just like the older plant of this strain. What is wrong??? I've fed MagiCal hoping that covers the nutes. PH going in between 5.5 and 6.5. PH out 6.8 to 7.

Here's some pics:
twisters_leaves_prob.jpg

Twister_unhappy_19Dec10.jpg

Twister_Mag_def_prob.jpg

Fluffy is treated the same as Twister, even though she is a mutant clone from back in September... This clone is all branches, not sure how that happened.LOL Was my first attempt to clone and one one to live. :-( She has the same nute issues as Twister, they just appear a bit different:

Fluffy_needs_which_nute.jpg

fluffy_twisting_leaves.jpg

fluffy_nute_mg.jpg

Today, these were both transplanted into 3 gallon pots. They have very healthy roots and know visible pests. My best guess for what makes the leaves do this is over ferting, PH, Mag, N, or Ca. How can I tell which it is? The Magical was given on 3-4 days ago. I see no changes. New growth is better... Fert meter says not enough. It must be broken. :-( My schedule is to feed every 3 waterings.

Help???

Lusi-Hi everyone,

I should have done a journal for my 1st outdoor grow. That one is worth making a retro journal for! LOL I hope I can remember to update this as I go. WARNING, I write lots of details!!

:welcome:

My new Grow Lab 80L grow tent just arrived. I set it up tonight with the minimum, CFLS and T-5s for vegging. My 4 outdoor gals are chopped. The two tweens in bloom are in a different room with my new HPS since the have bugs. I'm planning a perpetual grow while IO try the different strains from seeds I bought. When I find a good one and clone it, I might switch to SOG.

I've never done this and welcome any feedback or advice. I've tried to write all the details here so people can scan through this gigantic info list! This is a medical grow in CA and all legal. :yummy:

*** Anything in Italics or Blue is questions or things I am unsure of. I'd welcome any advice and feedback on those... especially these new nutes in a starter pack.
TY!!!

On with the show!

Sounds GREAT! I actually just picked up a GrowLab 145. Wanted to have another room, inside my room. Pretty much the same tent, but mine is just a tad bigger. Hope you are liking yours!

New Grow, Strains from Seed

2 Fade Two Black from seed, Indica
#1 info: G13/Top 44 crossed with Black Domina/California Indica.
Expect heavy budding, lots of resin and sweet smelling, a hard hitting narcotic smoke.
Calyxes turn purple in the fall, showing a beautiful display.
3-4 feet tall,
7- 9 weeks flowering

2 from Rolly's Seed Mix, Indica
#2 info: "...the mix is a mix of many crosses i have done comprising of
white widow / skunk #1 / very berry / sweet tooth #3 /
early queen / super skunk / purple #1 / legends ultimate Indica /
shiskaberry / misty and blueberry all mixed in together.
These were all grown and seeded outside in the natural
sun in good organic mountain soil. so they should be interesting."
All fall into the 7 to 9 week harvest range

Strains in veg phase, sharing this grow space

Feminized White Skunk, by White Label Seeds Germinated from seed mid October, Indica
- This plant started the vegetative stage last week.
-I soaked her, including the soil and pot in neem before moving her in the bug free tent.
- I have one other of this strain in flowering phase. Only 2 of the 10 White Label seeds Germinated!! Like the older plant, this gal has her leaves twisting and curling the minute she it veg phase!???
- She was transplanted from a 1/2 gallon pot to a gallon 4 days ago. Today her roots are already growing out the bottom. Just 4 days!!! I will transplant her again, this time to a 3 gallon fake Air Pot as soon as she recovers from the neem bath and dries out.
-Her soil is mixed sand, perlite, and a generic soil

*Curling leaves... I've had some seedlings come out, and look all twisted and odd. In the same raised bed, other seedlings would come out normal. I thought maybe PH problems? But am really not sure. What it's worth, the curly seedlings came out just fine. Maybe a pic so we can see? Bummer about the germination rate.

Shiva Shanti II, Sensi Seeds My first clone and a disaster, Indica
-RooTing hormone powder was used
- This is a clone taken in late September from "Rootsy" while she was in flower. 2 1/2 months later and this clone is still growing alternating branches and still has some pre-flowers and pistils near the base. I should just toss her out... She is growing large single leaves and small 3 lobed leaves with red stems. Nothing like her mother!
- She's in the same pot and soil as the one above and was also transplanted at the same time as above. She also has roots coming out the bottom after 4 days! I think the Optic Foliar nutes listed below made these plants take off! She'll also go into a fake air pot if she lives.

Shiva Shanti II, Sensi Indica, Revegging 2 plants, Curly and Rootsy who were just harvested. Rootsy has new pistils growing in her old buds, still covered in sugar. She was still on 10 hours of daylight a day. Bizarre! I hope both these plants will live, no loss if not.
-Plants harvested today, then stripped of soil down to the bare roots and immersed in a bucket of neem. They had mites so I will heavily spray in another 3 days. The neem drench was a bit too strong. Not sure if they will live!
-transplanted in smaller pots, 1 1/2 gallon nursery pots
-same soil as others
-Both were germinated from seed, outside in May. I'll be making a retro journal about them and the other 2 harvested, my first grow.
- I'm trying this out since I have so few plants right now. There's no place to buy clones and seeds take a while to get going. I still have 50 more seeds and 8 strains to use up!

White Skunk 2 clones that were taken in bloom, my 2nd try. This time I used gel packs. A waste of $$, doubt they'll live!
-clones taken in early November, no roots yet. The Gel in the packs is turning green around the roots. :-(
-These were gently dunked in neem for a few seconds
-The healthier one spit out a seed today when I picked her up. I had a male SS clone nearby that was taken while in flower. He nailed her pretty quick, the little bugger! LOL I planted the seed in a corner of the oasis foam.

INDOOR Grow Area Set-up

Area 15 sq ft
2'7"x4'11" Grow Lab 80L tent, new.
-metal shelves added in half of this (all I need to use right now)
-30x30 square basin, $18 Tractor Supply, a rabbit cage bottom line. Awesome find!!
-the tent is in a 10x13' room

Light
-Seedlings: HTG Tek light 2 4'T-5s made to fit in a 2' hood
-Vegging: So far, 160W of CFLs. Eight of these (4 2700 23W, 4 6500's 23W) are made into a home made reflector using bathroom fixtures. Two 13W in one round reflector with Y socket adapter, and 1 42W 2700 in a smaller metal round reflector. Not sure if these are enough...
-Flowering: I have a 150W HPS and 600W HPS with Lumatek dim-able ballast. The 150W might be needed for veg stage, not sure yet. 600W is for the flowering only.

Light questions are always hard to answer.

Generally you can hear people say "25 watts per square foot will get you buds, closer to 50 watts will get you bigger, dense nugs".

Problem is, they use "cubic feet" when refferring to a 3 dimensional grow. Makes it hard, but is a good baseline to get started. Keeping the lights close to the plant, but spread out to give even light coverage would be key.

Ventilation
-Vortex 6" 449cfm, is placed on roof until the filter and light are needed for flowering (dang this sucker is loud!!!!! Is this normal?)
-8" clip on fan
-the passive mesh vents alone the bottom of the tent are open since light is not a concern
-2 8" duct socks are left open and covered with mesh. The fan is too strong, but hopefully will be better once the filter is on.
- open window, may need to open the door too
-exhaust back into the room since I'll be moving and the floros aren't very hot. Exhaust will vent into the closet crawl space, if I haven't moved by the time I switch to the 600W HPS for flowering

Filter
-Can Fan 33, not in use yet
-mesh screens on all vents

Fans are very loud. I like vortex, and have gone with them lately. Work great, and maybe a little quieter then others.

Look into a fan speed controler. Tons available. I like the GroZone Tv2. It can tell if it's day or night. You set the temp, and the fan will speed up, or slow down, depending on the inside temp.

I also use plain ole speed controllers in the veg room. Just cheaper and easy! But I have to adjust manually.
Plant care info:

Technique
- Will try to FIM or top the 4 new seedlings, this is an experiment on FIM. LST was awesome outside! Not sure if it is the best method for indoors?? ScrOG seems too difficult to move about and reach. Will try SOG some day after I find the best strain and have a mother plant.
- re-vegged plants will be LST again
- the vegging clone is already a bush
- vegging seedling will be FIM, or topped if I mess up
- 2 unrooted clones, if they live will be fIM

pots
- seedlings/ seeds: in a plastic dish with plastic cover
- 2 tiny clones: each in a gel pack (must look up the name)
- vegging seedling and clone: 1 gallon black nursery pots
- 2 re-vegging plants: 1.5 gallon black nursery pots
- Other pots: these are the pots I have to use for this grow... out 4" square black plastic nursery pots, 3 & 5 gallon fake air pots, 5 gallon white square nursery pots with mesh bottoms, 1/2, 3 & 5 gallon HTG cloth pots, pond plant mesh pots

Soil
-Starting from seed using Oasis foam in a tupperware dish with covered with a dome. There are 4 MJ plant seeds plus veggies and flowers in the same dish.
-See the other plants for the soil info. At this time, I'm still looking for a better soil or mix for soil! Sand, perlite, and budget soil. The sand is left from my outdoor mix.

Water
-tapwater, PHed to 6
-water meter, so far every other day
-Ferts added every 3rd watering. (feed, water, water)

Fertilizers
New seeds/plants will be using the Technaflora Starter kit and schedule:
-B.C. Grow veg (1-3-6)
-B.C. Bloom (1-4-7)
- B.C. Boost (3-0-2, Ca, Fe) The Instructions Say to use with every feeding, until pre harvest. Why don't they just include these nutes with the BC Grow and BC Bloom?? I thought you needed LESS N in flowering. I don't understand this... Should I only use it for vegging? Are the grow and bloom enough ferts by themselves... in case I order them again?)
** I'm confused, thought more N for grow and less N for Bloom?!

Vegging plants: use any leftovers form the kit, then Miracle grow tomato food until it's gone. (18-18-21)
Flowering: Use leftovers from Starter kit, then Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom until it's gone. (1-4-5)

Advanced Nutes:
-Root Juice (vegging)
-Super Thrive (all)
-Spray n grow (all except late flowering, foliage)
-Coco wet (all, is it needed for Spray n Grow, can I use it with Neem? Do all foliar sprays, including nutes and bug killers, need coco wet? Is it good for adding to nutes at all, soil or drench? The instructions on the bottle are terrible!)
-Optic Foliar mix: (only free trial sizes for plants in crisis) The guys making these used to work for the DM nute co. I supposed to be the same as Saturater, Liquid Light and other DM foliar nutes. They made my vegging plants grow roots out of their pots 4 days after transplanting them! The plants are growing like crazy. I bought Coco Wet and Spray- n- Grow before I got these samples. I hope they will perform as well as these!
Part A:-Transport, Fert Supplement A
Part B:-Megawatts, Fert. Sup. B
Part C:-Rev, Fert. Sup. C

These next nutes are samples from the Tecnaflora Starter Kit, for trying on my 4 new seeds/ plants only. Any leftovers from mix are used on other plants. Do I need all of these in the future?!
-Thrive Alive B-1 Green (1-1-1) (This and the Red are the same, except green is Organic)
-Thrive Alive B-1 Red (1-1-1) (I'll use this one up 1st, though the instructions use both. Are these similar to Super Thrive? What is their purpose, are they even needed in the future?)
- Sugar Daddy (instructions say to use this from seedling to harvest. I thought molasses was only needed for pre harvest?! This one says it contains Magnesium, Sulfur, and Cane Sugar... no molasses.???!)
- Root 66 (Likely the same as Root Juice)

- B.C. Boost (3-0-2, Ca, Fe, It says to use with every feeding, until pre harvest. Why don;t they just include these nutes with the BC Grow and BC Bloom?? I thought you needed LESS N in flowering. I don't understand this...)
- MagiCal 2-0-0, Ca, Mg, Fe (Why would I need to use this up until the day of harvest? I thought more Nitrogen was bad then... Is this needed/ useful, after my sample is gone?)
- Awesome Blossoms 2-11-11 (Is this better as a foliar spray or in with the ferts?)

Pest Control:

Indoor sprays:
-Green Light Neem concentrate (clarified) $20 makes 16 gallons (I heard not to use this indoors because the HPS will fry the leaves, even if i spray it in the dark cycle. Is this true? There is no instructions for a soil drench or dip. I used 2Tbs per gallon, hope my plants live. Any info is welcome)
-f!) Bayer insect and fertilizer spikes. (Imadacloprid)(for non-food plants only, but awesome stuff! Used it in the EU for aphids and white flies! It's awesome for house and container plants! Can I at least use these for the vegetative stage? It would be gone by flowering or I could remove what is left in the soil when I transplant. Please let me know if I can. I bought the entire display case of these for 1/2 price!!)
-Don't Bug Me by Fox Farm. Pyrethrum (sp?) This seems like a very low percentage of Pyrethrum in here. I like this better than any other spray, plants, house, me, cats, horse... all safe to use)
-Safer insect killing Soap. (Not impressed, but better than bio dish soap. Is it useful inside?) Will use til gone
-General Hydroponics Azomax (Azadirachtin) $20 makes 4 gallons!? Will save it for fungus. (This is extremely expensive. Is it that much better than the other neem I have? I'll save what's left for the new seedlings)

Outdoor Sprays (some might be useful for indoor)
-Green Light BT Worm killer concentrate $17 makes 32 gallons (#1 pest outside!! I wish I had bought this earlier in the season. Every plant i have was covered in caterpillars. Worse than mites!!)
-Deltamethrin (Europe) (this ingredient is in many sprays. is it useful for MJ or inside?) Will use til gone
-Rotenone (France) (Any use for MJ?) Will use til gone
- Lecithin from Soybean plant for powdery mildew in fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants. (didn't do much, neither did the EU neem derivative Azadirachtin in my powdery mildew) Will use til gone

Good Grief!!!! This took me 5 hours to write, it's 0445. Hopefully, I won't have too much to correct on here tomorrow. I'll ad pics of the new set up then. If whoever reads this is still awake, I'll be shocked. I must have napped while writing... need sleep badly. LOL :snooze: TY for visiting!

Lusi

* Gotta step out for a little bit. Wanted to quote and save now, and will come back and edit later. *

:goodluck:

Hey RP!

The light info is a huge headache. I thought about lights and heat for over 6 months before deciding on the 600WHPS and a cheap window AC unit for the room the tent is in. Right now, the houseplants and 2 buggy gals are enjoying the 600W light set on 360W. All of my plants are blooming like mad. I'll feel quite guilty returning them to their old places with poor window light.

I only have the 250W CFLs and 2 T-5s in the tent. Even these are taking the tent to 77 degrees, 5 higher than my goal. It stays in the low 70s with the window open and 40 degrees outside. I'm not looking forward to summer, not one bit. I'm still wearing short sleeves here and suffering from too much heat. 40deg IS a lot for this time of year. LOL!

I've heard that 50W per sq foot is ideal. What I'm unsure of is comparing CFLs to HPS... or flowering to vegging.. or even seedlings and clones. Is this info also out there for cubic feet? That seems, well useless for one. Great for air flower or area to heat or cool... It's just as irritating to buy soil by the cubic foot. However, I am terrible at math and am a bit biased to comment...

I'm relieved to hear that Vortex fan is supposed to sound like a jet engine warming up in my guest room... maybe not relived, but at least it's normal. ;-) I didn't know dimmers came with thermostats. That's perfect! I have to add one of these to my wish list, along with a water PH meter. The soil ones are crap as is the litmus paper, cut into tiny strips that I need tweezers to hold on to. Useless. My fingers turn the strips bright pink before I even dip them in water. I'm debating on what that means exactly. If I rub my eyes or touch them, my eyes burn for at least a 1/2 hour. Flushing them with saline is useless. Who needs PH Down when all I need to do is dip my hands in the water!:hmmmm:

Sitting around waiting for seeds to sprout is very dull...
Not much going on today. The transplanted girls are just fine. There are no signs of seeds sprouting. I hope some are still alive in there. The seed oasis floater is working perfectly. It should easily keep seeds moist and O2 in the water fro 10 days.

Tonight's late project is a makeshift drip system. Now that I transplanted the plants in in 3 gallon pots, they are holding moisture longer. 48 hours and still not needing water. Since I already bought more silicone glue, I might as well set this up anyway. I'll need to make a much larger reservoir if this works. Worse comes to worse, I can just fill the drip tray with water and the plants could soak it up as needed. I hesitate here because the freshly potted plants haven't grow enough roots to use that moisture... well that's my guess.

Since I am frequently sick and stuck in bed, an automated system would be ideal. The more I read about hydro, the lass I want to deal with it. I can't carry buckets and empty reservoirs each week. A few days in bed or the hospital could mean the death of all my plants. Soil or a soil free mix is a bit more forgiving and less sensitive to screw ups. I'll look into that more once I own my own house and can install drains and outbuildings.

I'll get back with photos once this test is set up. I'm not finding anyone else's travel solutions for plant care online... there must be some creative ideas around somewhere. Oh well, my holiday is a very short one anyway, no thanks to the economy.
(yawn)

Well, I'm back from my short holiday... nice to see snow and catch a glider tour over Tahoe.

This journal writing is kind of dull! Dull to write, dull to read. Here's the update:

Seedling waterering and oxygen contraption is working. None of my 5 seeds have germinated, 15 days. :-( Is this normal?!
The little seed my clone kicked out before it died is already sprouted, about 5 days. I will make another foam floater, this time so 1/8 an inch is in the water.

The two vegging plants are going crazy. I still have the leaves on one showing nutrient probs and now some brown spots on a few of Twisters leaves. No signs of bugs

The two plants to reveg look dead. No surprise as I stripped the roots and soaked it in bug killer. Better dead than bring in bugs. I put these outside for one last chance. The two male plants I tossed outside a month ago are going nuts!!! They are amazingly healthy and below freezing temps have not effected them. I don't understand... though MJ stopped growing below 50 degrees. WTH??

I threw out the clones in the gel packs. When I fished one out of the trash can, I discovered new growth and a few roots. Just a millimeter of green... Since this one wasn't the moldy one, I stuck it back in the tent. Perhaps it would be happier outside too. (brrr)

I dearly dearly HATE these cloth Smart Pots. The two buggy bloomer and a houseplant are in them, under quarintine in thre extra room. These were watered on Dec 11, it's the 27th. Still, they are saturated, despite being raised on a plastic grate. The soil in these 3 plants are crawling with gnats of any sizes. Likely the fungus gnats. I have sprayed the soil, pot, saucer, and plants several times with neem and pyrethrin.The bugs die on contact with the pyrethrin and fly off with the neem. Even soil drenches a few weeks back didn't solve this. The Root Builder pots are in the tent, but still the soil is saturated. So much for air to the roots. :0( Trash Can!!

I had the chance to visit 2 dispensaries in Sacramento and one in Lake Tahoe. There, people hung around in the lounge smoking and chattering. They gather together for cookouts and community activities. In Sac, you can't even sit in the waiting room without a card. Not allowed to tell me strains or prices by phone. Bullet proof bank glass. Healthy looking young fellows stroll in and out of there. If I were the average non pot smoker, I'd say all this is a scam and BS too.

I've learned I don't use enough MJ for pain control. But who can afford 3 ounces a month or 3-5grams a day????! Prescription drugs are free with insurance. Another big problem... $20 a gram is horrid. GDP grown by 3 different growers gave me 3 diff qualities. it's all about growing, not the strain. So far, GDP in my area has no effect on me. Will try it again to compare. All buds look and smell different, same strain.

I bought 2 clones, Bubba Kush, $15 each. Sad little things! I don't want to put them in my tent yet, since clone bugs seems to be the norm. I see powder residue on the leaves from a bug powder Both of these are in rockwool, which is in soil. Not sure how to make sure they are bug free before the tent. For now, they live on the bathroom counter with some CFLs.

There's nothing worth taking a pic of yet. (yawn) Maybe one later of the happy plants I tossed outside in the cold. LOL Will have to let the Landlord in my house this week, I've run out excuses to put her off. Since I'd love to get kicked out of this money pit house before the lease is up, maybe I should leave the plants in plain site? :Rasta:

Lusi-Well, I'm back from my short holiday... nice to see snow and catch a glider tour over Tahoe.

This journal writing is kind of dull! Dull to write, dull to read. Here's the update:

and they take a bit of time and effort. That's why I try and thank people who take the time to do a journal. I've tried, and just can't keep it as nice as others.

And a glider tour? That'd be amazing!
Seedling waterering and oxygen contraption is working. None of my 5 seeds have germinated, 15 days. :-( Is this normal?!
The little seed my clone kicked out before it died is already sprouted, about 5 days. I will make another foam floater, this time so 1/8 an inch is in the water.

Hard to say. Might be a super old pack of seeds? Might be something else going on. I don't know?

The two vegging plants are going crazy. I still have the leaves on one showing nutrient probs and now some brown spots on a few of Twisters leaves. No signs of bugs

Some leaves will remain with the nute burn look. You'll want to focus on the new growth, make sure that is coming in nice and green. Then make sure any leaves with any discoloration don't get worse. Sometimes the damage is done, and they wont repair 100%.

The two plants to reveg look dead. No surprise as I stripped the roots and soaked it in bug killer. Better dead than bring in bugs. I put these outside for one last chance. The two male plants I tossed outside a month ago are going nuts!!! They are amazingly healthy and below freezing temps have not effected them. I don't understand... though MJ stopped growing below 50 degrees. WTH??

That's crazy to hear! I had some misc plants left out in my garden... they were pretty nasty by the time I got out there over vacation. But, moving everything around, one little pepper plant was lush and green and still going. I guess some plants are just resilient? lol I don't know.

50* is probably about when cannabis starts really slowing down in growth, but I don't think it would stop it.

I threw out the clones in the gel packs. When I fished one out of the trash can, I discovered new growth and a few roots. Just a millimeter of green... Since this one wasn't the moldy one, I stuck it back in the tent. Perhaps it would be happier outside too. (brrr)

See! What a resilient plant! Would be cool if that clone lives.

I have probably a 90% success rate or more taking clones and sticking them in dirt. I use soil-less medium. I take my cutting, clean it up, stick it in the dirt. I then water it in with some plain water and a bit of House and Garden Roots Excelerator. The first week or so I make sure to mist them with some plain water. No domes, no special hormones, just plain ole water and dirt. Just took 2 OG, 2 Chocolope, and 2 a-train with 100% success. I used to be real timid and unsure of cloning. This has made it easy.

I dearly dearly HATE these cloth Smart Pots. The two buggy bloomer and a houseplant are in them, under quarintine in thre extra room. These were watered on Dec 11, it's the 27th. Still, they are saturated, despite being raised on a plastic grate. The soil in these 3 plants are crawling with gnats of any sizes. Likely the fungus gnats. I have sprayed the soil, pot, saucer, and plants several times with neem and pyrethrin.The bugs die on contact with the pyrethrin and fly off with the neem. Even soil drenches a few weeks back didn't solve this. The Root Builder pots are in the tent, but still the soil is saturated. So much for air to the roots. :0( Trash Can!!

Hmm... I used the smart pots outside a little this last year. I also didn't like them, but because my soil would dry out too quickly! On hot days, I had to water 2-3 times a day or the girl would fall over limp. Was crazy drainage.

What soil are you using? Are you compacting it in the pot? You want light and fluffy for good oxygen, good drainage, and easy root penetration.

Do you have any sticky traps? I use those all over my indoor grow. I also use Hot Shot No Pest Strips. This can be debated. Some worry about the chemicals used. I feel they are far less dangerous then breathing outside air. My patients know I use this and they are ok, but I would suggest reading into it more, and making your own decision.
I had the chance to visit 2 dispensaries in Sacramento and one in Lake Tahoe. There, people hung around in the lounge smoking and chattering. They gather together for cookouts and community activities. In Sac, you can't even sit in the waiting room without a card. Not allowed to tell me strains or prices by phone. Bullet proof bank glass. Healthy looking young fellows stroll in and out of there. If I were the average non pot smoker, I'd say all this is a scam and BS too.

Cookouts? That's great! Nothing wrong with networking. As I have found, some people have the time, some have the money, and some have the space. When you combine, sometimes you get superior product, or better prices, and so on. Collective tyoe idea. I also like the idea of meeting MMJ users in my community. I like to go to our local farmers market (MMJ section) to meet with some new people. Most dispensaries do not let you near the place without a card... too many BS raids done by cops who pretend to "lost their card" get in, then bust the place for selling pot to an unlicensed patient. Bullet proofing is simply for their protection, and the safety of their patients. These places sadly, do get robbed. And you cannot judge a fellow mans health based off his outer appearance. Everyone who uses cannabis, medicates, whether they admit it or not. Nothing wrong with recreational either. It's just sad some have to jump through hoops, and fake an illness, just to be afforded a tiny bit of extra protection.

That all said, I 100% see where you are coming from.

I've learned I don't use enough MJ for pain control. But who can afford 3 ounces a month or 3-5grams a day????! Prescription drugs are free with insurance. Another big problem... $20 a gram is horrid. GDP grown by 3 different growers gave me 3 diff qualities. it's all about growing, not the strain. So far, GDP in my area has no effect on me. Will try it again to compare. All buds look and smell different, same strain.

Something to consider...

Think of seeds as children. When two parents have two kids, generally they are not the same in terms of looks (or phenotype). Even twins can have totally separate phenotypes. Identical twins are rare, but they do happen. Some brothers or sisters look a lot alike, others look nothing alike. Same goes for seeds. No two seeds are exactly alike. This is why you guy 10 seeds in a Breeder pack. They hope out of those 10, a couple will have the phenotype they advertise. Slight genetic difference from seed to seed have the possibility of slightly changing the outcome. Maybe it's not always noticeable, and sometimes it definitely is.

On top of that, you have different styles of grows, different growers, different nutes, etc. The strain name is simply a guide. Lets you kinda get an idea of what you like.

And to go even farther, the same strain, the same nug, can have different effects on the same smoker depending time of day, what you ate, your mood, etc. If you notice... smoking your favorite strain feels slightly different first thing in the am, vs right after lunch vs. night time. And one bud that gets your buddy super high, might not have the same kick for you.

Really is an amazing plant.

I bought 2 clones, Bubba Kush, $15 each. Sad little things! I don't want to put them in my tent yet, since clone bugs seems to be the norm. I see powder residue on the leaves from a bug powder Both of these are in rockwool, which is in soil. Not sure how to make sure they are bug free before the tent. For now, they live on the bathroom counter with some CFLs.

You are doing it perfectly! No worries. I also would isolate those new clones. Let them grow a little. See if there are any signs of molds, mildews, etc.

There's nothing worth taking a pic of yet. (yawn) Maybe one later of the happy plants I tossed outside in the cold. LOL Will have to let the Landlord in my house this week, I've run out excuses to put her off. Since I'd love to get kicked out of this money pit house before the lease is up, maybe I should leave the plants in plain site? :Rasta:

Ouch! Landlord doesn't know/approve I assume? Maybe now would be a great time to start the conversation. Some landlords don't mind or are understanding. They just want to be assured you wont burn down the house. Others are fearful of the law... can't help their. Maybe explain to her why you need medical cannabis. Could have a couple different articles ready (not in hand, but somewhere handy if they want more info). Sometimes reading a review from a licensed m.d. has more impact then the patient explaining.

Explain it's a medical necessity, and that this place wont allow you the proper space? And you need out. Landlord might be happy to let you out of the lease.

Some ideas. Hope all is well for the new year! :peacetwo:

Hey RP! Guess I'd better update this monster first. :-D

Guess I'll start out with the irrigation system. My Blumat Tropf system arrived the day I went on holiday, so was put off for a bit. I set of the system last weekend, which was very easy!

Here's the whole thing up and working. I'll be using a lot of hose pieces and changes until my perpetual grow is really settled in place.

BKclones_in_tent_Jan.jpg

First, I made a 5 gallon reservoir from an old cat littler square 5 gallon bucket, which made adding the water flow hole and sealing it with no glue very easy. I filled and soaked the plant cones in water over night, set one cone in the Oasis, one in the 5th fade to black seed 4" pot. I then did two in each of the tweens with the cones on the drier outer area, facing in, then adjusted the length or the tubes to water 2" away by the root ball. It's easy to change if is too wet or two dry. Just move the top! I cut the hose into pieces and changed the connectors so that one end stopped at the big plants and the other was at the oasis. The cat bucket was hung as high as I could in the tent. However the bars that holding the T-5s are getting pulled and are making the lights crooked. I'll have to do this entire thing over when I switch to flowering, add the clones, and use the entire tent. Yeah.

Here's a pic of the first seed set up as I adjusted the drips to moisture the first day. My little veggies and were just sprouting and even the accidental MJ seed. :) ) The 4 MH seeds in there did nothing.
blumat_drop.jpg

So, I was ill for 2 days and the watering system kicked in to water oasis and seed cube pot. The lowers kicked in yesterday while I was PHing the water to give them. Perfect timing. The things stopped dripping the minutes I watered the plants! So far, I like this irrigation system so much I'm buying more parts and another one for outside!

Seeds:

Next, the seeds. That's easy, the damned things never germinated! # seeds of one strain and 2 of another; both from the same website. I've waited over 25 days for them the germinate, but now the cubes are turning bright green. Only the cubes the MJ seeds, old 2005 gathered nicotiana seeds and the cube with a white grape seed is in, which I assumed would never germ in the first place.

There's the Fade 2 Black seed planted 10 days after rest in a soil with cube pot. The blumat watered this when I was ill!:
4_inch_pot_irrigation_view.jpg

Some one suggested I look at one of the seeds and another to put them in paper towels. Since the Oasis is easy to break and there are no roots to damage, I broke two greenest cubes open, one 11Dec Rolly's M seed and one 22Dec Fade 2 black seed. Neither had germinated or split. There was some black on one, but the other seemed normal. I dumped them both in a wet paper towel on a dish and put another dish over and put it all on a seed mat. That was 2 days ago. No changes since, except the paper towel around the black spotted seed is going green.

Since I have a year's supply of seeds from this same place, I'm feeling screwed.

The latest change in the rest of the T-5 area is a larger floating seed mat. I separated the Oasis greener cubes, removed the lettuce and herb seedlings to soil pots and separated the tiny little accident seedling (named now White Goddess.) to a pot, removed all drain holes in the new floater, doubled the size of it, set everything back in the tent. The little seedlings were too young to move, but I wanted to separate good and green cubes. Sadly, my White Goddess is turning the perlite in her soil green. :-(

Not pretty, but works. I took out the O2 maker for a later time to experiment with it. See how green the remaining MJ cubes are, along with the white grape. This green is all over the perlite on the planted cubes. Is Fish tank algae stuff OK? Does dish soap or anything thing else help this problem?

latest_floater_Jan.jpg

The new larger floating seed tray works great. I'm ordering a capillary mat to wick water where needed for happy seedlings. The Blumat is still in the middle of the Oasis with the pointed part poking through the foam. I have a paper towel under the Oasis as my wicking cloth for now. I'm still trying to figure out just how much water the oasis cubes need.

Twister and Fluffy:

These two gals are going wild and are going to hit 24" Before I flower! Fluffy got floro burn while I was ill 2 days. I cut that part off and move her off the low bucket to the shelf. Another two inches and I'll need to get the HID light put up! Twister is looking great and is now on the shorter bucket. A few branches are LSTd, but she's so bushy!! I think I'll have to take a few branches as clones before no leaves get light any more and these two die. I have a foliage sprays made and alter between the Optic trio mix and the Spray N grow with coco wet and Thrive Alive green. I give credit to the Optic and am now trying the other mix, cheaper by far!, in between. I Spray at least once a week.

Here they are right after the drips were set up, on January 3rd
Tweens_with_drip_set_up.jpg

They were growing into the lights, so I set them down lower. No more room! Here's Jan 7th, 4 days later. I loped off 2 of Fluffys tips since they hit the lights.
rearrang_view_Jan7.jpg

Yesterday, one of Fluffy's leaves dried and shriveled with the dead are a dark green and with huge black areas. Just one leaf overnight?! I plucked it off. I wish I knew why the Shiva Shanti clones is to bushy with many branches. She looks like a mother plant.. odd! Would make a nice mother plant for sure. :) I hope they are OK to flower. It's a shame I can't put them outside and create house sized buds!:roorrip:

See how they grow!

Bubba Kush Pre 98 clones:

These 2 ladies look great! It's interesting to see how much they resemble the White Skunk plant. I thought I was doing something wrong when her leaves started to twist and flip up and down. Now these 2 clones and the GDP ones (coming next) is also like this. Shiva Shanti does not have this problem, but she looks like a Sativa. She's 100% Indica, Afghani and Skunk, but looks acts and feels like a Sativa. weird! WTH?!

Here's on the 3rd of Jan:
BBBubbaKs.jpg

Anyway, the BK clones are doing great and are moved in the tent after two neem dips. They will need re-potted up to gallon pots soon! SHould I make the move to a soil less medium for these? They supposedly are more sterile and more evenly distribute the moisture. I wish I knew if it was true! I need to decide by next Friday what pots to buy, as I have 4 clones in 4" pots and only 2 1 gallon pots. Black or White? Square or round? Mesh all or mesh bottom? I'm done with smart and cloth pots. NO MORE! The Root Maker Air Pots are not impressing me much either.

Here they are just 4 days later:

BuubaKs_thrive_Jan.jpg
BBK_closeup_Jan7.jpg

New Grand Daddy Purple Clones

Since I had a doc appointment out of town, I picked a new dispensary to try his week. I found a good one that I'll be visiting again. I had a photo and interview the owner. He gave great advice and had a plan to help me. He had a broken back and has known real pain like mine for yours. I'll was glad I had someone haul me up the stairs to this place instead of leaving for another. They move to ground level this month. :)

I was so excited about a good find, I forgot to by 2 more clones. Curses! I hauled out my notes and headed toward the one on the way home.... I had it marked as a likely scam or front. Glad I was wrong there! New and with few items to sell, I was happy to take the GDP clones, the only clones there. Nice People, will return there too.

Oddly, these were the first clones made using Oasis cubes... just like mine. Hmm I wonder which store these were from. LOL! The lady said Oasis sucks for clones, but is the best for seeds. Also, if mine haven't sprouted in 25 days, they're not going to. :hmmmm:

I took the very small clones home, neemed them, then put them in 4" pots and fertilzed them. They look fine so far and get neemed again tomorrow. I don't know where I will put them in the tent tomorrow! I want these flourishing by the time I flip the lights. They will be the smallest ones. Since there are no seeds growing, i have not choice but to buy clones. I don't like taking the bug risk and hope not to again!.

Here's the little gals after repotting and dipping:

BBGDP_Clones_Jan.jpg

The two are under the 42WCFL 2700K and two 13W CFL 6500. It's not the best, but only for a week.

The 2 flowering left overs:

I'm thinking it best that WS is tossed outside to fend for herself, after I fertilize most of her with SS2. The two SS2 males out there are thriving despite night temps down to 30!????? WTH?! I hops she either finished and finally develops trichs, or she revegges. I give up. Any feedback? She went into bloom in early October along with BBG. BBG is more advanced and has seeds on her lower branches. Her trichs do not seem to be changing. They are narrow and clear. The earlier SSH2 crop also stopped developing and started decaying before down, however those plants where much further developed! This one was ripped apart a month ago because of boring caterpillars. A bad life. I'm thinking of Chopping all non seeding parts off and tossing her outside too. The seeds are all showing in their pods, but none are loose yet. Any ideas? I'll be so relieved when all my are normal and the goof-ups in the past. My new seeds were to be a new start. I sure got screwed on this one!

They look identical to previous pics in here. The re-vegges and trial clones are dead and tossed. The 2 males in the cold outside are in full stinky bloom!?! I think WS will get the toss tomorrow. Brrrrr BBG?! I don't know!

Flower Room Set Up, Help!

I need to decide this week how I want to flip to flowering. I'll have those 2 HUGE ladies, 2 med sized 12" clones, and two tiny ones. Since I have no seeds now, there is no reason to wait. I'm ticked off about that as the two new strains have not helped me, especially the GDP that I've now tried 11 times from 11 different growers and places. Useless!!! It's the Fade 2 Black strain I was counting on.

OK, Here's my switch to flower ideas and ones for a perpetual grow. Need some advice on both!

The 2 tween ladies will move to the other side of the tent. I'll need to buy a 24x24" dropping pan since the 30x30" was too large for a 29"x31" space. Bummer. I'll take a few clones and LST them a bit. Now the shelves and vegging area either need removed and the 4 clones on the other side of the tent go on the floor or a raised shelf.

The question is to either create a separate vegging room on the shelves in a closet, or raise half of the tent and create a vegging space below this and if possible light proof it. If I can do that and still have ventilation. The advantage to this idea is:
In a perpetual grow tent, half the tent a higher than the other would be up 2'. Thus is great for my back and also would provide another level for smaller tween plants to almost finished.

Disadvantage:
Is 2' even enough space to do more than sprout seeds? The shelves would still be needed then for tween veg plants and CFLs. This makes the entire shelf idea in tent pointless. If I have to use the shelves still anyway, I might as well keep it set up the same and just relocate it.

Bad part to that, there will be no way to keep out the light pollution in a new area/ That's why I bought the darn tent! On the good side, I have all of the lights for 4 separate sections! Why not use them?

Welll. any vote? I lean to make two areas... I wish to take 4 or more clones from the 2 tweens. Gotto have a separate area from them seeds and vegging!

Oh, my head. Ow.

After another day of thought... separation of the two areas or more is the easiest cheapest way to go without buying or building much. later, I'd like to add a tween or other area in the tent, if space allows. The bad part of separating is I must buy another drip system. I'll need another for outside anyway. Parts are for sale in the EU.

Back
Top Bottom