The SuperCrop Experiment

Does supercropping increase bud size?

• Total voters

stratlogic

What do you think? Does supercropping really work? That is what I wanted to find out on my latest grow so I decided to do a few experiments and document the effects of supercropping so not only I, but you too can decide for yourself if it actually works.

Hypothesis:
Supercropping produces bigger buds.

Here is the grow:
Journal (Page 9)
Stratlogic's Hydro Closet ScrOG Grow
Grow Box:
Grow Box Construction
Hydro Bucket:
Hydro Bucket Construction

Here is the experiment:
I grew a single plant hydroponically in a ScrOG/LST environment measuring 2'x2'x5' and had supercropped several bud site branches during the flowering stage under a 400w Hortliux HPS. I labeled and numbered the branches at the main stem before harvesting. Bud sites grew in pairs opposite each other on the main stem, alternating perpendicularly to each other going up the stem. Still with me? Each of these pairs I considered one "set" and are the most identical to each other because they grew at the same place on the stem, at the same time. Almost like twins. There were 10 sets total plus the main cola and it was Day 70 of flowering. This is how I made my comparisons. From here I was able to make my conclusion. But first, let's see the comparisons.

Red tape indicates where the supercrop took place.
Blue tape means it was NOT supercropped.

Set 1: Neither branch is supercropped.
tn_DSC03653.JPG

Set 2: Can you guess which is supercropped? A or B?
2a
tn_DSC03655.JPG

2b
tn_DSC03659.JPG

B is supercropped.
tn_DSC03661.JPG

Set 3:
tn_DSC03665.JPG

Set 4:
tn_DSC03668.JPG

Set 5:
tn_DSC03669.JPG

Set 6:
This bud was FIMed. The top touched the glass and burnt the tip pretty bad so I chopped it off. In person it is significantly fatter than its opposite.
tn_DSC03674.JPG

Both buds were supercropped. FIM on the right.
tn_DSC03672.JPG

Set 7:
Both buds were supercropped
tn_DSC03675.JPG

Set 8:
The right bud is supercropped. Really
tn_DSC03677.JPG

Set 9:
tn_DSC03680.JPG

Set 10:
The right bud is supercropped
tn_DSC03682.JPG

The main cola:
It has not been supercropped or FIMed, only LST
tn_DSC03686.JPG

tn_DSC03687.JPG

Conclusion:
There it is. Were the results what you thought they would be? I was disappointed. I'm not convinced supercropping is all that it is cracked up to be. The results just weren't rock solid or consistent enough to make me think it really does produce bigger buds. Set 2 is difficult to compare since the supercropped bud was also LST unlike the other. This makes me wonder if it was the supercrop, the LST, or both that played the biggest role in it's growth. Either way, the difference wasn't much.

Set 3 was the only supercropped bud that was considerably bigger.
Sets 4, 5, and 9 shows no real difference at all.
Sets 7 and 8 show the supercropped buds were considerably smaller

The FIM bud definitely produced a fatter bud. Since I only FIMed one bud (I wish I did more now) it isn't enough evidence (but some) to really prove if that worked either.

Based on these results, it could be said that supercropping actually had a negative effect given that more buds where bigger than their supercropped equivalent.

What do you guys think after seeing the results?

Now here's the kicker:
This plant...
tn_DSC03641.JPG

...had these roots
tn_DSC03643.JPG

Here are the roots from my last plant.
tn_DSC00413.JPG

Those roots swallowed my pump.

Surprised? What role do you think this had on the plant? Close to the entire root mass was contained inside that little CD spool lid. Interesting huh?

Interesting experiment strat.

How exactly did you supercrop? Did you crimp between each node along the entire length of the branch to fatten up the pipe? I would think that would increase the final size of the cola, but maybe not.

I'm certain that selective crimping along the main stem will redirect growth auxins and make the plant bushier. I've also used the technique to slow down one branch while another catches up so I can get a more even canopy when LSTing, so the goal may not always be larger buds.

Great test. Thanks for sharing this info!!

:peace:

Harry

^ exactly, I've supercropped branches to slow them down vertically but never expected bigger buds. My goal has always been to get even buds. What does one giant cola do for you if you have 80% fluffy buds?

Great experiment Strat! I agree that it does not conclusively increase bud size.

Excellent Harry Red and McBudz! I've learned so much already from this experiment! So my first attempt at supercropping consisted of me accidentally breaking branches when trying to LST them under my ScrOG. Not much of an attempt, but one nonetheless. So I've concluded this; supercropping is more utilized as a tool for managing growth, not increasing bud size. However, if it were to be used a tool to increase bud size, multiple supercrops on the same branch would be necessary for that to happen.

Nice but you posibly would have had a better yield without that extra tub zip tied to the lid. i'm sure it had some effect on root ball size and yield is directly related to that. The bigger the root system the bigger the yield. Other than limiting the root ball what was it's purpose?

You have a great point Racefan but this experiment proved just the opposite and it's purpose was to start thinking outside the box. (And to hopefully get a good discussion going at the same time.)

The Facts:
This was my largest plant and it yielded the largest buds I personally have ever grown while maintaining the smallest root mass of any plant I have ever had. So in this case, a bigger root system did not produce a bigger yield. In fact, a smaller root system produced a larger plant/buds in this case. My last plant had a much larger root mass as you can see but was a smaller plant that yielded smaller buds. It doesn't seem to make sense does it?

The root ball experiment definitely contradicts conventional thought on root size in respect to plant/bud size.

This is awesome Strat.. now, with the root mass difference, wasn't your original grow done in a smaller net-pot than the second? How much size difference was there in your net pot?
(really want to know as I'm partway thru construction on mine while waiting for supplies) Also, I think on your first grow you started the seed in a peat plug? Did you follow the same process here ?

IMHO Supercropping outdoors stresses the plants and stunts them into more of a bush, but I've never noticed any increase in bud size and have only done it when location deemed necessary, so I would agree with you on that.

Also, on your first grow there was plenty of room around the top of your spool to allow the roots to come out but it looks like it's tight against it here could that make a difference as well?

I'm curious as to what your total weight was off of this one, looks very impressive to say the least.

So supercropping is just cutting the stems in certain spots??? what is LST??? is that just when you bend the plant, by pulling it with a string?

It increases bud quantity, but one huge ass kola would obviously be bigger than multiple kolas on one plant. All due to the plants energy and focus directed to one or many them. duh that shit is common sense

Back
Top Bottom