Hows & Whys Of Supercropping

I'm trying to come up with a reason to supercrop below the net and I can't think of one. Assuming the net has been filled during veg, then standard supercropping rules would apply during/after stretch.

I believe that setting up a scrog is really a combination of topping and LST.

By the way, other than a few empty holes, your first time scrog looks terrific!
Thanks man. Well, what if you were in early-ish veg? You're working on LST and drawing your plants out wide in anticipation of a screen. But let's say one plant is being stubborn about filling a particular area or you wish to increase bud sites below the screen at a faster rate than you would just spreading branches. Would supercropping below the screen help in that scenario? Why wouldn't it help you fill space below the screen in the same manner as it would above? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just really trying to figure out a way to incorporate supercropping with a scrog grow for next time if it can help. Those empty few holes you refer to are bugging me. If I had done it even once before, now that I see what's up, I could've filled em all. So that's where the question comes from if that makes sense at all. I hope you don't mind all the questions - you asked for it. Lmao!

I hope you don't mind all the questions
Not at all!

I don't think that supercropping will create new end growth faster than leaving the plant alone. What creates the new tops in my supercrops isn't the bend itself, it's the fact that what was the top is no longer a top. It's now level with or below the growth lower down on the plant (as LST works too).

What I'm calling new tops were there all along, lower down on the branch. What I've done is tricked the plant into thinking it's lost the top on that branch, causing it to send the growth hormones to the lower growth on the same branch and trying to make them tops. It's pretty much what you're doing already keeping all growth under the net.

If you find that there are places your plant isn't sending new growth, you could top the growth on that side to create new branches to fill in the gaps. It can take a long time to fill in a scrog net, and getting it evenly filled all at the same time with different varieties is next to impossible.

Even two different seeds of the same type might express themselves with different growth rates, and trying to match different strains makes it that much harder.

Not at all!

I don't think that supercropping will create new end growth faster than leaving the plant alone. What creates the new tops in my supercrops isn't the bend itself, it's the fact that what was the top is no longer a top. It's now level with or below the growth lower down on the plant (as LST works too).

What I'm calling new tops were there all along, lower down on the branch. What I've done is tricked the plant into thinking it's lost the top on that branch, causing it to send the growth hormones to the lower growth on the same branch and trying to make them tops. It's pretty much what you're doing already keeping all growth under the net.

If you find that there are places your plant isn't sending new growth, you could top the growth on that side to create new branches to fill in the gaps. It can take a long time to fill in a scrog net, and getting it evenly filled all at the same time with different varieties is next to impossible.

Even two different seeds of the same type might express themselves with different growth rates, and trying to match different strains makes it that much harder.
Gotcha. Understood. Ok. Thank you very much. We're getting away from it now and talking more scrog than supercropping, so let's leave it there. I greatly appreciate the education.

Howdy gang! Here is a pic of my most recent AK-47 after harvest where you can see all the bending and branching:
full

This plant produced 242 grams / 8.54 oz dry.

Now let's take a closeer look at the supercrops on a single branch:

The first bend added a second top.
The second bend added another.
The third bend added another.
The fourth bend added two more.
And the fifth bend added one more after that.

Had I not supercropped, I would have had one top. With five bends I ended up with seven tops. Multiply this by the 10 or so branches I had in the end and you can see why I supercrop!
Howdy gang! Here is a pic of my most recent AK-47 after harvest where you can see all the bending and branching:
full

This plant produced 242 grams / 8.54 oz dry.

Now let's take a closeer look at the supercrops on a single branch:

The first bend added a second top.
The second bend added another.
The third bend added another.
The fourth bend added two more.
And the fifth bend added one more after that.

Had I not supercropped, I would have had one top. With five bends I ended up with seven tops. Multiply this by the 10 or so branches I had in the end and you can see why I supercrop!
Do you top and microtop before you supercrop or just top and supercrop or don’t top at all and just supercrop

Howdy JayRay and :welcome: to 420magazine!

Most of my plants get topped once and then supercropped whenever needed. If I'm growing out a clone I usually just supercrop since it already has so many branches.

I'm not sure what micro topping is though.
Thanks for having me. I read somewhere that microtopping is topping or pinching off the top of other branches. Not sure if that’s the name for it. When topping do you just top the main stem that goes straight up? I really like your picture of supercropping where you number the main bud sites..I think it was like 59. That picture is beautiful and beautiful plants you have.

When you supercrop do u bend an area of the stem and let it heal before you bend a different area of the same stem or bend different area on the same stem all in the same day?

I read somewhere that microtopping is topping or pinching off the top of other branches. Not sure if that’s the name for it. When topping do you just top the main stem that goes straight up?
Glad you found this place!

I'd just call that topping again! Any branch you snip would be topped the way I figure. I have done multiple toppings, last time on a plant that had only been LST'd flat from early on (I didn't top the main on that one), but I prefer to top and train these days.

Glad you found this place!

I'd just call that topping! Any branch you snip would be topped the way I figure. I have done multiple toppings, last time on a plant that had only been LST'd flat from early on (I didn't top the main on that one), but I prefer to top and train these days.
Great info. When you supercrop do u bend an area of the stem and let it heal before you bend a different area of the same stem or do you bend different area on the same stem all in the same day?

Great info. When you supercrop do u bend an area of the stem and let it heal before you bend a different area of the same stem or do you bend different area on the same stem all in the same day?
I bend one spot on the branch and see if it gets me where I want to go. Once I see the new growth I'll decide if another crop is in order.

That said, I have seen folks do a Z bend in a single branch to move it to a new location, and the plant seems to do just fine!

Great thread @InTheShed Im finding this technique to be the best in terms of quality even top Bud coverage

Also trying to copy what you did here with this picture
Shed.jpg

Im finding once i stopped bending it everyday it became much harder to keep at 90degrees! i lost control and was worried id snap the whole thing! bit of a learning experience!
226785784_508473340210422_6136897605445734327_n.jpg

Just wondering out of curiosity if u have any other pictures of that in full flower and remember the Vege time roughly( id guess like 65+ days easy? its a beast

Thanks LM! That pic is from my Low Stress Training thread. :)

Also trying to copy what you did here with this picture
Looks like initial bend was more of a right angle (supercrop) rather than a bend like LST, but after that it just looks like it got away from you. The nice thing about a bend is that there's less stress on a single point when trying to keep it flat as it grows than there would be with a 90º bend.
Just wondering out of curiosity if u have any other pictures of that in full flower and remember the Vege time roughly( id guess like 65+ days easy? its a beast
It was an It's It Punch and it looked like this at harvest. It came to me as a clone in mid-April and I left it outside to flower so I don't have veg or flip days, but I harvested it on Sept. 2 so it was a quick one. Probably could have gone a bit longer but the caterpillars created a lot of rot and it needed to come down.

It showed pistils on July 17th, and here it was on August 7th.

Hope that helps!

Thanks LM! That pic is from my Low Stress Training thread. :)

Looks like initial bend was more of a right angle (supercrop) rather than a bend like LST, but after that it just looks like it got away from you. The nice thing about a bend is that there's less stress on a single point when trying to keep it flat as it grows than there would be with a 90º bend.

It was an It's It Punch and it looked like this at harvest. It came to me as a clone in mid-April and I left it outside to flower so I don't have veg or flip days, but I harvested it on Sept. 2 so it was a quick one. Probably could have gone a bit longer but the caterpillars created a lot of rot and it needed to come down.

It showed pistils on July 17th, and here it was on August 7th.

Hope that helps!
Beautiful lookin plant. if mine can look anything like that.. happy days.
, were you scared bending it like that(instead of supercropping), that the whole rootball would get lifted out of the ground? Im assuming you must anker the trunk with something to avoid that disaster

I bend one spot on the branch and see if it gets me where I want to go. Once I see the new growth I'll decide if another crop is in order.

That said, I have seen folks do a Z bend in a single branch to move it to a new location, and the plant seems to do just fine!
Hello Shed, this is a fantastic thread. Thank you.
I have been growing for only a year. I started supercropping a few months ago and never looked back. I walk around the room and squeeze and bend left and right.
I have a question. Do you also tie it down afterward? The reason I asked is because some plants, like the one in the photo, straighten themselves right back up.
I supercropped 4 branches this morning, and 1 hour later the buds at the very end of the branch started praying up already. I actually exceeded the 90° angle.
I have a Straberry Kush that was back up the next day.

20210728_141751.jpg

20210728_141611.jpg

Beautiful lookin plant. if mine can look anything like that.. happy days.
, were you scared bending it like that(instead of supercropping), that the whole rootball would get lifted out of the ground? Im assuming you must anker the trunk with something to avoid that disaster
If you take a look at the LST thread you can see that the trunk is tied to the side of the pot opposite the bend. Like this:
full

That's the start of LST on the plant you posted the pic of. You always want the trunk coming straight out of the soil with LST.

Do you also tie it down afterward? The reason I asked is because some plants, like the one in the photo, straighten themselves right back up.
I supercropped 4 branches this morning, and 1 hour later the buds at the very end of the branch started praying up already. I actually exceeded the 90° angle.
Hey Gabby! I'm glad you found helpful into here, and that's an excellent question.

You might have missed this deep in the opening post...

One last trick, for those crops that refuse to stay down, attach a small binder clip to a paper clip and hang that from the branch (you can just make out the paper clip at the arrow):
full

The thicker the branch the heavier the weight on the end of the paper clip. Try to keep in at 90º though, as a deeper angle can put too much of a strain on the bend.

If you take a look at the LST thread you can see that the trunk is tied to the side of the pot opposite the bend. Like this:
full

That's the start of LST on the plant you posted the pic of. You always want the trunk coming straight out of the soil with LST.

Hey Gabby! I'm glad you found helpful into here, and that's an excellent question.

One last trick, for those crops that refuse to stay down, attach a small binder clip to a paper clip and hang that from the branch (you can just make out the paper clip at the arrow):
full

The thicker the branch the heavier the weight on the end of the paper clip. Try to keep in at 90º though, as a deeper angle can put too much of a strain on the

full

full

The thicker the branch the heavier the weight on the end of the paper clip. Try to keep in at 90º though, as a deeper angle can put too much of a strain on the bend.
I did miss that. Thank you for your reply.
It amazes me how quickly these plants recover, and grow.
I will do that, and keep them at 90°.
Now that I think about it, I remember seeing photos of plants with washers and other creative weights hanging from branches.

Back
Top Bottom