How I perform low stress training on my plants: Lots of pics!

Hi Shed. I was too heavy handed with my first auto and I would like to try this way for my second one. I have my young plant in a plastic cup. When would you advise an up-pot please and how long after up-potting would you advise implementing the lst?

Hi Shed. I was too heavy handed with my first auto and I would like to try this way for my second one. I have my young plant in a plastic cup. When would you advise an up-pot please and how long after up-potting would you advise implementing the lst?
Hey Carmen! I planted my autos in their final pots so I can't tell you when to transplant in terms of LST, but when to start bending is determined by the plant's height.

You want to be able to get the top lower than the lowest node you'll be keeping, and that's tough to do with a short plant. Most folks who try that end up with a plant at an upward angle but never get that bend that makes LST work. Leaning over a plant doesn't do anything to move the growth hormones around.

You can see in this post that by the third time bending it down the top is below the lowest node. It takes a few days to get it there to make sure nothing snaps.

Hey Carmen! I planted my autos in their final pots so I can't tell you when to transplant in terms of LST, but when to start bending is determined by the plant's height.

You want to be able to get the top lower than the lowest node you'll be keeping, and that's tough to do with a short plant. Most folks who try that end up with a plant at an upward angle but never get that bend that makes LST work. Leaning over a plant doesn't do anything to move the growth hormones around.

You can see in this post that by the third time bending it down the top is below the lowest node. It takes a few days to get it there to make sure nothing snaps.
I found that a good way to bend a tough branch without snapping it is to pinch the stem with needle nose pliers and it'll flop right over without breaking off. Just squeeze until you feel a "pop".
Sometimes it'll heal back super tough and in that case you just pinch it above or below the healed wound if you have to bend it again.

I found that a good way to bend a tough branch without snapping it is to pinch the stem with needle nose pliers and it'll flop right over without breaking off. Just squeeze until you feel a "pop".
Sometimes it'll heal back super tough and in that case you just pinch it above or below the healed wound if you have to bend it again.
Thanks SC, but that ain't low stress, that's supercropping! I cover that in a whole different thread. :cheesygrinsmiley:

hey, I gotta utilize whatever I can. When I'm in the garden I keep scissors, string, wire, pipe cleaners, pliers, and electrical tape nearby. I've yet to do anything beyond gently bending an auto but am feeling brave enough to top one this week!

I don't usually but try to keep one or two autos going during hurricane season so I won't get totally messed up if we lose power for a day or twelve lol. Haven't lost power during a storm in a few years (knock on wood) but it only takes one tree limb to change that

Hey shed did I do this right? Trying what you were doing with the rock
10CBD229-C5E2-47FF-AA24-3430AC3E73B8.jpeg

Hey shed did I do this right? Trying what you were doing with the rock
No. You are leaning the stem over which is bad for the stem/root connection and doesn't do anything to change the way the plant uses the growth hormones. Straighten it out!

This is going to sound rude but please make sure to read and understand the opening post in this thread. If you understand what LST does it will make performing it much easier. It's not just about leaning the plant over.

No. You are leaning the stem over which is bad for the stem/root connection and doesn't do anything to change the way the plant uses the growth hormones. Straighten it out!

This is going to sound rude but please make sure to read and understand the opening post in this thread. If you understand what LST does it will make performing it much easier. It's not just about leaning the plant over.
Sorry my man I can be a little slow at times I will re read it and try again tonight when I get home from work also fixed it so it’s not leaning anymore

So in the first picture you are using the rock as a weight but what is the white thing coming from the soil to hold it?
This from the opening post:
You can see that I used a rock to hold the stem in place as I bent it. It's important that the base of the stem be upright so you don't put stress on the stem/root connection. Now I use a rock as well as a tie holding the stem in the opposite direction to the bend.
The white thing is a twist tie jammed into the soil to hold the stem down. You can put a barbecue skewer in the soil and wrap the tie around to hold bigger plants.

Please don't just look at the pictures. LST is a concept that, once you understand it, makes everything about the training clearer.

This from the opening post:

The white thing is a twist tie jammed into the soil to hold the stem down. You can put a barbecue skewer in the soil and wrap the tie around to hold bigger plants.

Please don't just look at the pictures. LST is a concept that, once you understand it, makes everything about the training clearer.
Ok I think I got an idea now Shed hopefully I can surprise you tomorrow :)

Once you understand the concept the rest is simply execution.
HI Shed, I am looking at my 2nd auto, the Lavender Best. The main is now several inches below the other branches which have grown. I don't know if I am doing this correctly. Would you have a look please. TIA.
Focus Stacked 17 June copy.jpg

HI Shed, I am looking at my 2nd auto, the Lavender Best. The main is now several inches below the other branches which have grown. I don't know if I am doing this correctly. Would you have a look please. TIA.
The reason the lowers have gotten so nice and tall is because you got the main below them, so :welldone:

If you wanted to you could loosen the reins on the top a little so it's level with the others, but other than that I'd say it's good to go!

Problem with a DWC bucket is ther’s nothing to clip ONTO . The top of the bucket comes off daily for PPM and pH checks and weekly for res changes - I would t know where to put any binder clips that wouldnt interfere with the bucket’s top
My 2' x 4' tent has a 35 gallon res that's 39" by 22". I don't want to drill holes in the top (I'm not sure why, I'll admit) so I use 1 and 2 oz lead fishing weights and S hooks. I can attach them to any branch to bend it over and, since the S hook has a opening about ¾" (maybe it's 2 cm?), I have no fear of the plant having to grow around the S hook.

Back
Top Bottom