Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be seperated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if your using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.

Move the dial to low heat once butter has melted, it should look like this

Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
    I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

It shoud look like this, I say to make two just incase one container runs out of room.

Step 5.

When the water has turned glossy and thick on top it should look like this

You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth like pictured here,

When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out,

I throw away the marijuana after this, you can try and dry it out, let me know what happens.

Step 6.

Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to seperate the waste water!

It should look like this now, The cannabutter on top, the waste water on bottom.

Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with.

If you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving. Just chill out, and enjoy!

* If making the butter is too much work for you, you can try this amazing device from Magical Butter.

Last edited by Soniq420; 03-27-2009 at 04:37 PM.
    420 Magazine
    Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993
    http://www.420Magazine.com

I swear to god I get high from standing over the stove when the pot is cooking. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Last edited by 420 Girl; 03-06-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    420 Magazine

yeah i heard you can get high, never have tryed myself. good job man

AJ
    420 Member
    wowwwww
    thats fuckin awesome
    amazing tutorial
    can't wait to try it out :D
    the site is green again!

nice how to guide there hash...very informative
    "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Thanks alot fellas
    420 Magazine

420 Member
    what did you do with the pot buds that you strained out of there?
    Support MV TODAY! [MatanuskaValley]. Click the following link to view his awesome grow guide. http://www.420magazine.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36297

threw it out, I've heard that you can make some kind of thc milk with the cheesecloth but I dont think there's any use for the bud.
    420 Magazine

420 Member
    looks great... I wanna bake something now lol
    Doesn't someone know a way to incorporate hash to food instead of weed? Is it possible to just melt it with butter?
    Or to just crumble it into the mix?

Marihuana is not illegal because it's bad, it's bad because it's illegal.

it would be the same with weed because you need the butter or another high fat containing food so the thc has something to stick to

420 Member
    I just added hash to some cookie dough, baked it and ate and... I have no words

Tho I like the taste better without the hash (not that it was bad)

Quote Originally Posted by Hash
    threw it out, I've heard that you can make some kind of thc milk with the cheesecloth but I dont think there's any use for the bud.
    I always just leave it in there...
    But I don't like wasting bud...
    Never know if there is any THC left!
    Peace and Prosperity

I consider myself to be a competent combuster,or a smoker supremist. - OnionGobbler

420 Member
    argh i'm never taking edibles again this how is so weird! I can't stop eating...

Plant and Member of the Month Winner (April 11') Plant of the Year 2011 Matanuska Valley's Avatar
    Most awesome guide here Hash! We will have to try it out for sure. We do alot of cooking between us and....who can resist dessert?!? NOT US!!! It's always munchie time around here!

MRS MV
    I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...
    And I'm all out of Bubble Gum..!

^ Thanks alot Mrs. MV, lol just make sure that any guests eat them up thinking they are just plain old cookies.
    Last edited by Hash; 04-08-2005 at 10:42 AM.
    scooterb likes this.
    420 Magazine

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast