Induction lights

I don't know of a grower using one right now, but a couple years ago, a grower named McLoadie used an earlier 600 watt model ...

link to Induction Grow Lights discussion

Here are the relevant tidbits I picked up after doing a search

Induction lighting actually works similar to fluorescent lighting, but it does not have electrodes to illuminate the gases. Instead it uses electromagnetic induction at 2.65 MHz, the result, It has long life with low lumen degradation along with very little heat output.

Much like LED, they produce targeted spectrums for energy conservation, but this technology has a lumen output of 65 - 87 Lumens per watt(external) and 50 - 70 (internal) compared to LED which produces around 100 lumen/watt.

They are estimated to have 70,000 hours life span which is more than that of LED panels 50,000 hr.
One clear disadvantage is the weight of the units, ranging from 18-22 Kg or more depending on the model , a secure installation is necessary.

I found this highlight on the web that adds more information
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
Disadvantages:

-Bulky design for large area lighting, the discharge tube is large compared with HID lamps.
-New and Old technology: it is new: it is still expensive to buy the lamps. It is old: most companies that make the lamps are using 20 year old ballast technology copied from OSRAM and Philips. The ballasts have a high failure rate.
- The technology is under commercialized.
-Radio interference is a major problem to be worked out. The lamps are limited in use due to this issue.

Advantages:

-Longer life: no electrodes, electrodes fail in normal fluorescent lamps shortening life, the tungsten thins and brakes.
-Longer life: sealed tube, by not having electrodes the tube can be perfectly sealed, when seals go bad in regular fluorescent lamps gas escapes through the weakness and the lamp fails.
-Energy efficient, often 80+ lumens per watt
-No flickering
-Dimmable 30 -100%
-Can light both small and large areas depending on which type of induction lamp one uses

Was wondering about induction lighting myself, thanks for doing the research and the report. I currently use LED`s, always looking for ways to improve my growing habits.

I updated my post with todays specs and the advantage / disadvantage list.

I think its accurate , if anyone has personal experience I would love to see a Photo of the set up and some info on the harvests.

If pricing one remember there are two types of Induction lights , External and Internal with the external being the more expensive with its higher lumen/watt count.

I will add:

*NOTE: induction lamps only have a long life IF the ballast is of a quality construction, the ballast is the weak point in the system.

There may be a manufacturer using a reliable design , I would look into before buying or pricing units.

I came across a Vertical Induction light today. The Lamp and reflector are very ergonomic and take up very little space but at $1200 its priced out of my reach, like a lot of things..

Here is its description , notice its a 420 watt light :high-five:

Induction grow lights are the perfect solution for the indoor garden where tall plants and dense canopies make it difficult for overhead lighting to penetrate down into the lower branches for increased crop production.

Emits light out of both sides of the fixture, in a 300° pattern to optimize vertical canopy light distribution.

Stackable construction allows our VPAR fixtures to be joined together as plant heights increase.
Produces 1/3 the heat of comparable HID lamps. Allows lamps to get closer to plants without damaging them.
Consumes 70% less power than comparable HID lamps.
Single broad spectrum lamp takes your plants from vegetative thru flowering with no re-lamping.
Long 100,000 hour rated lamp life with only a 10% PPF depreciation over 70,000 hours.
Consistent intensities and stable spectrum's for years of high quality repeatable crop production.
Comes fully assembled. No tools required for easy installation.
Available in two per box packaging options.
Universal power supplies 120-277v – 50/60 Hz.

Back
Top Bottom