Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How do I Cure my Harvest with Glass Canning Jars?

Blog Entries

How do I Cure my Harvest with Glass Canning Jars?

For personal stash, I got rid of the tupperware and paper bag stage a while ago. This method for glass canning jars gives the strongest aroma and best texture for smoking. Here's the procedure, it couldn't get much simpler..

1) Cut, manicure, hang your plants in a cool, dark place until totally crispy and smokable in a joint-- usually 5 to 8 days. Optimum conditions are 68-74 degrees F and between 50% and 60% RH.

2) Place gently into wide-mouth glass canning jars. Close the lid until buds sweat, usually 2 or 3 hours the first time. Open jars and let buds dry to crispy again. I only bother keeping large buds for personal stash but if you do this with shakier stuff, you have to get some air in there and turn the buds over. Larger colas usually have enough flow around them so you don't have to mess with them unless they are really touching each other inside the jar. I don't worry about "ooo damaging the ever so fragile buds" by turning them in the jar. Who cares if you lose 2% of the trichomes to the bottom of the jar, big deal... be gentle but if you have to move them around, so what.. just collect your skuff on the bottom of the jar and enjoy.

3) Repeat the sweating process-- open the jar until crisp, close until sweated. After about a week of this (depending on location), you get to that perfect point of curing where there is enough moisture to keep it smelling strong but as soon as you take it out of the jar to smoke, it crisps up and can be rolled.

Re: How do I Cure my Harvest with Glass Canning Jars?

then you can just keep it in the jar without burping for however long it takes you to use it?

"It's better to die on your feet then to live on your knees"

Cannabis Connoisseur - Nug of the Month Winner - November 2012 Be Irie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That would be correct...

take all the buds that need recovering and put then in a jar. cut a fresh mary jane leaf and put it in the jar with the buds. seal the jar up with plastic rap and let sit for about a week. you may wanna replace the weed leaf every now and then but its best to jus let it sit for a while

Quote Originally Posted by aftermath420 View Post
    take all the buds that need recovering and put then in a jar. cut a fresh mary jane leaf and put it in the jar with the buds. seal the jar up with plastic rap and let sit for about a week. you may wanna replace the weed leaf every now and then but its best to jus let it sit for a while

What is the leaf supposed to do for the curing process?
    "Life is a comedy to those who think, and a tragedy to those who feel." ~Unknown

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

Adds moisture but I don't know why that would be needed/wanted. You don't wait until stuff is BONE dry to start the cure.

yea wat Acn627 said

good to kno

So one curing process (which is apparently the best curing process) is to hang it for 3-4 weeks, then move the bud to an airtight container and refrigerator, then finally to a freezer. Now this is the better method? Which is it?

Now that I've got that out of the way... Does anyone know how to can bud? Like tuna can kush?

So one curing process (which is apparently the best curing process) is to hang it for 3-4 weeks, then move the bud to an airtight container and refrigerator, then finally to a freezer. Now this is the better method? Which is it?

Now that I've got that out of the way... Does anyone know how to can bud? Like tuna can kush?

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AgileGrowerAG View Post
    Depends on humidity and air circulation. Hang it for three to four weeks around here and it would probably mold. Hang it for that amount of time (or even a shorter period) in a desert environment and it would be powder dry.

Neither situation allows for a decent cure.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil
    "At the end of the season of sorrows comes the time of rejoicing. Spring, like a well-oiled clock, noiselessly indicates this time." -Roger Zelazny

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedSoul View Post
    Depends on humidity and air circulation. Hang it for three to four weeks around here and it would probably mold. Hang it for that amount of time (or even a shorter period) in a desert environment and it would be powder dry.

Neither situation allows for a decent cure.
    So basically it's best to create the optimal environment for drying/curing and drying for X amount of weeks then curing for Y amount of weeks...

Can anyone fill in the variable with optimal conditions being a given? Much appreciated.

hahaha

Appalachia - get REAL HIGH on a mountain!

It is called variable info because that's just what it is - variable. To fill in the variables you have to have a known strain that requires a known number of days to produce a harvest, you will have to monitor your own humidity and temps. You are the only guy who can actually cure your weed and that makes you the resident expert. Ex=has been, spurt=well, you know. Growing weed is an art, man. Nobody but you knows (or should know) the ambient environment you live in. If you live in a very humid area you'll even have to use a dehumidifier! Give US the variables and we can make reccomendations to you, but we aren't there. The best we can do is "best guess." The secret to growing weed is the simplest in the universe. Just Grow It. End of story. You will learn about diseases, what you do without realizing it abuses the plants. when to do your harvest, how long to dry/cure.

I've had a harvest dry in 6 days, but another of the same strain in the dog days of summer took about SIX weeks to dry! The environment THIS day will cure weed differently than the environment in say a couple months. Since you're doing this alone (if you're smart) you can't really discuss it with your buds. So...

About 3 weeks before YOU think it is time to harvest, start taking the smallest bud in the center of the plant. Do a quick dry, then sample it. Do this every 2 or 3 days and you will know for sure when you have the buzz you want from your crop. You can look at the trichs with a scope, but if you don't see that well, that's useless. You can look at the percentage of hairs changing color, but that's fairly useless too. I just took a harvest where all the hairs were red, but the trichs were still clear! Per my sampling though it was time to do the deed and sacrifice my ladies.

Curing is a matter of choice. It usually improves the taste. Not always. Drying can be done many ways, and it seems nobody agrees on one way. There IS however good agreement on the use of glass canning jars and everybody agrees on the technique. Nobody agrees on how long to leave them in jars though. My weed never lasts seasons. It lasts weeks. So I don't have to deal with long term storage. As to leaving your treats in jars long term though... I think it would be better to seal your goodies hermetically in a seal-a-meal bag then freeze it. No matter what anyone says, no baggie or ziplock will preserve your goodies. You CAN preserve them by hermetically sealing them, even without freezing, and the seal will preserve the freshness, and that means keeping SOME moisture in the cells. Freezing destroys cell walls and dries the weed out to the point that it crumbles and loses all scent.

So... Guess I wandered around some.

Appalachia - get REAL HIGH on a mountain!

Argh. I contradicted myself, didn't I? Yes, I think freezing will damage the goodies. And yes I did say something about sealing and then freezing it in almost the last line.

Like I said, it never lasts me long enough to deal with long term storage, so just ignore what I said about the freezing.

Don't know anything about freezing, but do know stealth growing, do know how to produce one excellent product! That's about all that matters, yes? I'm full of crap but I still stay in the stratosphere! One toke over the line, sweet Jesus, one toke over the line, sittin upstairs in my hidden growing loft, one toke over the line! Thank you, Brewer & Shipley! 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 lb every 9 weeks in 49 sq ft and 152 cu ft. Can't be done? Don't you believe it! And I have moms, clones, veg and 2 flower chambers in that space. What a PAIN in the back and the butt (max headroom 3 feet 7 inches), but what harvests! Thanks to Overgrow and 420Mag for the education.

420 Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldGold View Post
    Argh. I contradicted myself, didn't I? Yes, I think freezing will damage the goodies. And yes I did say something about sealing and then freezing it in almost the last line.

Like I said, it never lasts me long enough to deal with long term storage, so just ignore what I said about the freezing.

Don't know anything about freezing, but do know stealth growing, do know how to produce one excellent product! That's about all that matters, yes? I'm full of crap but I still stay in the stratosphere! One toke over the line, sweet Jesus, one toke over the line, sittin upstairs in my hidden growing loft, one toke over the line! Thank you, Brewer & Shipley! 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 lb every 9 weeks in 49 sq ft and 152 cu ft. Can't be done? Don't you believe it! And I have moms, clones, veg and 2 flower chambers in that space. What a PAIN in the back and the butt (max headroom 3 feet 7 inches), but what harvests! Thanks to Overgrow and 420Mag for the education.

Journal! Journal! Journal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast