$1,000 dollars and discouraged

Moksha

Hello 420Magazine and Community,

I would like to start with a thanks to the community!

I have been soaking up the fruitful information from the site for months now. I finally took the plunge and finally registered to become a member. This is my first post on any forum...ever! I hope I am doing it properly. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting my grow on.

On to business.

I have a thousand dollar budget. This is for everything top to bottom for a grow room setup. Being how this would be my first grow I'm unsure on how to maximize my investment. I would like to invest the $1,000 and get a return of $4,000. High hopes I know. Obviously, any successful crop would be good enough for a first timer.

I was looking at an ebb & grow system with five gallon buckets. Even doing some DIY on the control module and buying a light(600w hps) is still going to run around $500. In addition, I'm not sure one 600w hps would light up 12 plants. Then I would need nutes, medium, etc.. In the end I think i might go with soil. :/

Re: $1,000 dollars and discouraged.

Thanks for the response amperage70. Did you do a grow journal? I'm just hoping that one 600w light will produce enough buds :) like 16oz would be nice.

Re: $1,000 dollars and discouraged.

I did not do a thorough one. I know the electrical and lighting side due to profession. I just play for myself

You need a lot more than a garden and a lamp. Budget for a good timer, a fan, ducting etc... This can eat into your budget big time.

Get your 600w system, install it in your space, get your environment dialed in and use what's left over to either build a garden or go with a simple drain to waste soil or soil-less garden. A $500 ebb and flow will do nothing if you have an out of control environment, but a 2 gal container of good soil or coco will thrive in a nice 75 degree 50%rh room with lots of fresh air.

Getting 16 oz from a 600 is definately within reach with a well run system.

what size is your space? a 600 does about 10-15 sq ft. 3x3-4x4 space.

A properly setup environment will prevent LOTS of problems.

Hello 420Magazine and Community,

I would like to start with a thanks to the community!

I have been soaking up the fruitful information from the site for months now. I finally took the plunge and finally registered to become a member. This is my first post on any forum...ever! I hope I am doing it properly. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting my grow on.

On to business.

I have a thousand dollar budget. This is for everything top to bottom for a grow room setup. Being how this would be my first grow I'm unsure on how to maximize my investment. I would like to invest the $1,000 and get a return of $4,000. High hopes I know. Obviously, any successful crop would be good enough for a first timer.

I was looking at an ebb & grow system with five gallon buckets. Even doing some DIY on the control module and buying a light(600w hps) is still going to run around $500. In addition, I'm not sure one 600w hps would light up 12 plants. Then I would need nutes, medium, etc.. In the end I think i might go with soil. :/

Do you know what "bottomless money pit" means?
it means getting setup, starting, failing, setting up again, starting again, failing again, spending more money, starting, spending more money...
You're not the first person to think he would go on a quick shopping spree and come home with everything he needs to harvest a crop.
Reset your head, dude: the craft you have chosen to undertake has NO BUDGET CEILING. You will be spending money CONSTANTLY from the time you stick your seed in the dirt to the time you pick your fruits lol.
You're hoping to spend 1 and get 4 in return?
you will spend 2 and NEXT YEAR you will see a return of whatever.
Or did you think you found a winning lottery ticket disguised as a hobby?

You sound like me at the beginning of the Summer.
It's 4 months later and I joined this forum to salvage whatever is left of my naive enthusiasms, friend.
Go get 'em, Donald Trump!LOL!:thumb:

You need a lot more than a garden and a lamp. Budget for a good timer, a fan, ducting etc... This can eat into your budget big time.

Get your 600w system, install it in your space, get your environment dialed in and use what's left over to either build a garden or go with a simple drain to waste soil or soil-less garden. A $500 ebb and flow will do nothing if you have an out of control environment, but a 2 gal container of good soil or coco will thrive in a nice 75 degree 50%rh room with lots of fresh air.

budlydoright, thanks for the constructive criticism!

Two full CAP Ebb & Gro 12 bucket hydro systems (use one, add the other later...)

Xtrasun air-coolable reflector with 600W HPS bulb
Xtrasun 600W 120/240v HPS ballast

Xtrasun air-coolable reflector with 400W HPS bulb
Xtrasun 400W 120/240v HPS ballast

HANNA Combo pH /EC/TDS/C tester

Hydroton, small rockwool cubes, Humbolt Grow, Micro, & Bloom nutrients, pH Up, pH Down

room thermometers/humidity, mylar, inline 4in fan and a 6in out. I also have a window a/c unit.

Total cost.. 800 (obviously i bought the ebb systems used. I also ordered a bag of horizontal floats...just incase)

This leaves $200 on framing and whatever else i might need to control the environment.

Not sure on the room size yet. I guess the flowering area will only be what the lights footprint can cover?

Do you know what "bottomless money pit" means?
it means getting setup, starting, failing, setting up again, starting again, failing again, spending more money, starting, spending more money...
You're not the first person to think he would go on a quick shopping spree and come home with everything he needs to harvest a crop.
Reset your head, dude: the craft you have chosen to undertake has NO BUDGET CEILING. You will be spending money CONSTANTLY from the time you stick your seed in the dirt to the time you pick your fruits lol.
You're hoping to spend 1 and get 4 in return?
you will spend 2 and NEXT YEAR you will see a return of whatever.
Or did you think you found a winning lottery ticket disguised as a hobby?

You sound like me at the beginning of the Summer.
It's 4 months later and I joined this forum to salvage whatever is left of my naive enthusiasms, friend.
Go get 'em, Donald Trump!LOL!:thumb:

Bottomless pits are man made. Usually its a cost to the investor because he sucks. On the other hand a person who invests and knows what they are doing make money. Thus, no bottomless pit. Expansion (further costs) and further growth is investing in profit. Not a bottomless pit.

No need to start, fail, and retry. Why do that when this forum has a vast knowledge base. I have been reading for months and months. I just posted today to bounce ideas. I should have included way more information in the beginning.

Thanks for the reality check...

Environment is all important! What kind of space are you planning to use? Do you have easy access to fresh air for ventilation? I would go w/ dirt for the first grow and save 65% of your budget. Blue Planet Nutrients has a promo on the site right now for FREE nutrients (you pay for shipping). What genetics are you planning on using, starting from seed or clone? Are you going to keep mothers? A 600 will cover about 3x3 or 9 sq feet. You can probably fit all 12 in there but they will be smaller, maybe 1 ounce each the first try.

So you already bought all that shopping list? Just have to work w/ what you have. Don't make the room small just because the light is.....what space do you have to work with? The AC will be handy next year, cooling season is almost over there. Neighbors will wonder about AC running in Detroit in the winter....;-)

budlydoright, thanks for the constructive criticism!

Two full CAP Ebb & Gro 12 bucket hydro systems (use one, add the other later...)

Xtrasun air-coolable reflector with 600W HPS bulb
Xtrasun 600W 120/240v HPS ballast

Xtrasun air-coolable reflector with 400W HPS bulb
Xtrasun 400W 120/240v HPS ballast

HANNA Combo pH /EC/TDS/C tester

Hydroton, small rockwool cubes, Humbolt Grow, Micro, & Bloom nutrients, pH Up, pH Down

room thermometers/humidity, mylar, inline 4in fan and a 6in out. I also have a window a/c unit.

Total cost.. 800 (obviously i bought the ebb systems used. I also ordered a bag of horizontal floats...just incase)

This leaves $200 on framing and whatever else i might need to control the environment.

Not sure on the room size yet. I guess the flowering area will only be what the lights footprint can cover?
Sounds like a real good start. Patience is key with growing cannabis. Sometimes the first grow will do ok and then you start running into problems, sometimes its the other way around. A lot of people get frustrated and end up selling there equipment. Just have patience, follow the basic rules for growing and wait to do much tweaking till you've got a grow or 2 under your belt.

Hey OG,

I have a full basement to work with as my palette. I still trying to figure out exactly the right size for the grow. I do have easy access to draw air in and out from outside. I think your right maybe it would be best to grow in soil. I have grown a few soil plants under cfl's. So its time to move up.

i will be starting from seed (non-feminized) with NYC Diesel and Northern Lights. I do plan on growing mothers. I still need to read up more on this part.

Maybe saving money on going soil will free up more money for another 600w light :)

Thanks for the info on the nutes!! :headbanger:

sorry guys...no i haven't bought all that yet. I can friday from my buddy. If i so choose he said he didn't care either way.

Its so hard to commit.

So you guys will have the final say in what i get this weekend!!!

Are you concerned w/ smell...I assume you are med card and have a 12 plant limit. In winter the heat won't be a concern, next spring will be an issue. You just need good circulation. You can just exhaust the air from the box into your basement for a little free heat.

For a 600 HPS, I would build a chamber from soil faced foam board--1/2" thick in 4x8 foot sheets at home supply place. It's about 8 bucks a sheet and you can cut it w/ a razor knife and get silver foil tape for hvac work to tape the corners together. Make a box 4x4x8foot high, add a lid with some 2x2 lumber to support the lamp. Put a hole up high for an exhaust fan and some slots down low for inlets. Keep it simple and cheap, after the first grow get fancy if you want, or keep using it. Start small and learn by doing.

Your genetics are pretty different, you will have some short and fat and some tall and lanky--you will have to work to keep the Diesel short. Study topping and supercropping.

I would use soil, like I said already. Get some Fox Farms Ocean Forest (FFOF) and cut it with 1/3 to 1/2 perlite. I would start 5 or 6 seeds and only one strain to start with. Start your seeds in 16 to 20 oz cups for the first couple of weeks, then transplant to 2 to 3 gallon containers. Your plants can't get too big in your space.....you will only be able to veg for a few weeks at the most, top them early to encourage 4 tops per plant. When you top them, take the cutting and start some clones. You want to have a clone for each plant before they are flowered. When you figure out which are males you can decide what to do. After harvest, dry, cure, and sampling, you will determine the best "mother" plant (one of the clones you took 10 weeks ago). Now you can take more clones of her and repeat.

I'll be here for you.

Get yourself some Fox Farm Ocean Forest, dolomite/agricultural lime, and FloraNova. You'll need a $30 pH meter and calibration solution. 5-gallon buckets are the cheapest container to grow in. You can get a 5000btu air conditioner at Home Depot or Lowes for $100 since it's the end of summer. Browse auction websites for a cheap, possibly used, +600w magnetic ballast and hood. Get at least 200cfm of sealed exhaust. If you don't have a room for this make a pvc-framed grow area and tent it with black plastic or Tyvex/vapor barrier. Tape up light leaks. Follow the instructions on everything. Grow.

Off the top of my head you should be able to setup a grow of this scale with ~$600. Save the rest for figuring out things you didn't expect to happen. You don't want surprises ruining your hard work.

You do have more than enough to build a great productive system.
A DIY ebbFlow will always cost you less than a pre built one.
Your lamp, if in a light proof reflective area will put out enough of a 4x4 area of space.

OG13: Yes, i am concerned with smell. I am legal with the state and can grow up to 12 plants just for me. Michigan's Laws are very vague which leaves places for the cops to attack. All i need is the church lady from next door calling the police every other day!

I think using the soil faced foam board is a great idea! Think i should frame it with PVC for stability?

I think I will go with northern lights. They seem to be an easy strain to grow and short. I am reading up on topping and suppercropping as suggested.

Soil is what i have decided on. I'm sure it will be more forgiving to my errors and my budget.

HB Rob: Welcome and thanks for the advice. I have a 5,000 btu a/c unit if i need it come spring. It good to hear its the recommended size.

purzurples: I hope your right. Once I start making some profit i'll go ebbflow.

I am legal with the state and can grow up to 12 plants just for me. Michigan's Laws are very vague which leaves places for the cops to attack.

purzurples: I hope your right. Once I start making some profit i'll go ebbflow.

In August, a Michigan appellate court ruled that the Michigan medicinal cannabis law "does not include patient-to-patient sales of marijuana." Since they also ruled that it didn't authorize dispensaries, either, I thought I'd mention that according to the government of Michigan, you stop being legal when you start selling your cannabis.

In August, a Michigan appellate court ruled that the Michigan medicinal cannabis law "does not include patient-to-patient sales of marijuana." Since they also ruled that it didn't authorize dispensaries, either, I thought I'd mention that according to the government of Michigan, you stop being legal when you start selling your cannabis.

TorturedSoul,

Hi and thanks for the info. Yes, I did hear of this crappy law that shutdown a lot of dispensaries. I have been to a few places that are operating with a loop whole of sorts. I believe what they are doing is putting themselves as your primary caregiver which allows them to sell still. So if I'm understanding the law correct its still legal to sell if and only if you are listed as their primary caregiver. Just not patient to patient?

TorturedSoul,

Hi and thanks for the info. Yes, I did hear of this crappy law that shutdown a lot of dispensaries. I have been to a few places that are operating with a loop whole of sorts. I believe what they are doing is putting themselves as your primary caregiver which allows them to sell still. So if I'm understanding the law correct its still legal to sell if and only if you are listed as their primary caregiver. Just not patient to patient?

Moksha, our State Attorney General Bill Shuette was the main opponent of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008. He is playing politics and hurting patients. It is tyranny, plain and simple.

The McQueen ruling made all "sales" of marijuana illegal unless protected under section 4(e) which states that any recooping of costs a caregiver receives shall not constitute a sale.

So if you are not a registered caregiver for another patient, you cannot received remuneration of any sort and remain protected under 4(e). This even goes to say that you can I cannot trade medicine or strains or anything. A patient can basically give it away, without receiving anything.

The solution to the law is to become a primary caregiver for a patient. You can do this and the patient can retain the right to grow their own plants, or you they can relinquish that right to you as their caregiver. Once you are registered as a caregiver, you can receive compensation for your medicine and it shall not constitute a sale.

Bleh... Do yourself a favor and get everyone you know to sign this RECALL SHUETTE petition that is starting to be circulated. This guy is the essence of back alley politics and has hurt the states most vulnerable citizens in sick and dying patients by attacking their access to medicine.

Back
Top Bottom