$1,000 dollars and discouraged

OK the $1000 Budget....

Start with photosynthesis and work your way out.

LIGHT
Plenty of grow shops in MI have fantastic prices of great equipment. I have seen more than one complete 1000w ballast/hood/bulb setups for $250-$275.

In addition to this get a timer. Get a mechanical (not digital) timer. $9 @ meijer, $12-$19 at Hydro stores. (These are in essence the exact same timer with different company logos on them)

T-12 ballast from home depot for $15-$20
Bulbs need to be 6500 kelvin. $15 for 2

I usually use "panda paper" to create my room, trap my lumens in. $50 for a big ass roll.

Air:
CO2 tank - $200 (35lb)
CO2 Regulator - $100
Box Fan $15

Water:
RO System: As little as $15

Soil
Pro Mix $40 bail
Pots (Smart pot #5 $6 each) x10 = $60

Nutes Flora Nova A & B (total less than $45)

Neem Oil: $9
PH Test and Adjuster $20

Man this is all I use really to grow super dense meds in the mitten :)

IMGP02931.JPG

Moksha, our State Attorney General Bill Shuette was the main opponent of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008. He is playing politics and hurting patients. It is tyranny, plain and simple.

The McQueen ruling made all "sales" of marijuana illegal unless protected under section 4(e) which states that any recooping of costs a caregiver receives shall not constitute a sale.

So if you are not a registered caregiver for another patient, you cannot received remuneration of any sort and remain protected under 4(e). This even goes to say that you can I cannot trade medicine or strains or anything. A patient can basically give it away, without receiving anything.

The solution to the law is to become a primary caregiver for a patient. You can do this and the patient can retain the right to grow their own plants, or you they can relinquish that right to you as their caregiver. Once you are registered as a caregiver, you can receive compensation for your medicine and it shall not constitute a sale.

Bleh... Do yourself a favor and get everyone you know to sign this RECALL SHUETTE petition that is starting to be circulated. This guy is the essence of back alley politics and has hurt the states most vulnerable citizens in sick and dying patients by attacking their access to medicine.

4(e) A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marihuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances.

You don't need any framing for the foil board, just tape it good along the corners (use the foil tape, not duct tape) The roll will last a long time (I know it's expensive) Still way cheaper than a tent. The NL won't have as much smell, but make your own carbon filter--several here in DIY section--to cover it up. The NL are a little slow so it will take time to fill the screen, may want to start a couple beans.

OG13: Yes, i am concerned with smell. I am legal with the state and can grow up to 12 plants just for me. Michigan's Laws are very vague which leaves places for the cops to attack. All i need is the church lady from next door calling the police every other day!

I think using the soil faced foam board is a great idea! Think i should frame it with PVC for stability?

I think I will go with northern lights. They seem to be an easy strain to grow and short. I am reading up on topping and suppercropping as suggested.

Soil is what i have decided on. I'm sure it will be more forgiving to my errors and my budget.

HB Rob: Welcome and thanks for the advice. I have a 5,000 btu a/c unit if i need it come spring. It good to hear its the recommended size.

purzurples: I hope your right. Once I start making some profit i'll go ebbflow.

Mok know what's funny as hell to me?
With the ebbandflow table..
I wake up at about 6:30am every day anyway, which is
30 minutes after the lights go on and the pump fed the plants.

Of course I would check on the nutes (and talk to the plants heh) before going out for the day and make any adjustments to the nutes, etc..
It occured to me every day: "um...isn't this like the same thng as pouring the nutes on".lol.

The plant I had the most success with was one in a cool, loamy container of cocoCoir (much like soil, which I'm curious about)...fed em every day with a rainy watering can and let em drain and get their sizzling suntan...Them babies luuuvvvv sittin in a naturalesque medium like soil or the coir, just drinking their nutes in the HID sunlight.
I'm really encouraged to see even the more advanced experienced growpleeples on here voting for the soil and hand feed. Makes ya think mother nature may have been onto something when she invented dirt,lol.

With that budget I would go for high watt CFLs (45 to 65 watt bulbs in both 6400k for veg and later 2700 to 3000k for flowering) with shop light fixtures or DIY fixtures. Definitely SOIL for the medium in 5 gallon pots if space allows.

That will leave plenty of $$ for a good ph meter (like a HM DIGITAL PH-200) a solid light timer (like an Intermatic), good soil like Happy Frog or FoxFarm and all the various nutes your plants will need for their entire grow.

You will be shocked at how fast your cash will go! That's why a high priced lighting and vent system is out of the question! You won't have anything left over for all the essentials everyone always fails to include! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

With that budget I would go for high watt CFLs (45 to 65 watt bulbs in both 6400k for veg and later 2700 to 3000k for flowering) with shop light fixtures or DIY fixtures. Definitely SOIL for the medium in 5 gallon pots if space allows.

That will leave plenty of $$ for a good ph meter (like a HM DIGITAL PH-200) a solid light timer (like an Intermatic), good soil like Happy Frog or FoxFarm and all the various nutes your plants will need for their entire grow.

You will be shocked at how fast your cash will go! That's why a high priced lighting and vent system is out of the question! You won't have anything left over for all the essentials everyone always fails to include! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

I disagree.
If youve got 6 feet of vertical space he could let space rather than cash
determine lighting.
$100.00 switchable electronic mh/hps all wattages ballast. same place has the bulbs cheap too.
https://www.sunflowersupplies.com/galaxy-250-400-600-1000-w-electronic-ballast-120-240v/

Your Lighting is in the top importance in your room.
If you want sun emulation and you can vent, go HID baby
$150 whole setup. with a grand$ to budget, even $300 toward lights is
good thinking.
The brightness is phenomenal.

Hey OG,

I have a full basement to work with as my palette. I still trying to figure out exactly the right size for the grow. I do have easy access to draw air in and out from outside. I think your right maybe it would be best to grow in soil. I have grown a few soil plants under cfl's. So its time to move up.

i will be starting from seed (non-feminized) with NYC Diesel and Northern Lights. I do plan on growing mothers. I still need to read up more on this part.

Maybe saving money on going soil will free up more money for another 600w light :)

Thanks for the info on the nutes!! :headbanger:
one problemo you plant size and harvest time are very different but two good ones for starters Nycd is the best but you got 3 months of bloom.

Great debate going on here. My 2 cents would be to build an undercurrent system, you could put together a solid-expandable 12 site system for less than $300. It would almost run on autopilot. Lights would be next, if you look at the lighting charts in Cervantes' Grower's Bible you'll see the graphic where you're better off with more lower wattage lights than higher wattage (three 600s vs, 2 1,000s will cover a larger area using the 3rd-off principal). You could also pick up a mover for less than $100 to increase coverage.

My first system was a DIY and produce 20 oz from a 2x6x4 space, depending on your local med prices, that would provide the 4-1 return.

Best of luck on your endeavor--stay legal. I have a good buddy that's a retired MI State detective, they don't mess around.

Or you could get 6 lamp 2x4 hi-bay T-8 fixtures for @ $175.00 each. The lights have reflectors are patented for 95% reflectance. This would cut down on heat.

show.php

600w.. 12 plants in a DWC.. for a cool grand? Easy squeezy lemon peazy. Be prepared for lots of DIY, but very feasible.

Crags list save money get what you can used just buy new bulbs. Soil rules.

Are you concerned w/ smell...I assume you are med card and have a 12 plant limit. In winter the heat won't be a concern, next spring will be an issue. You just need good circulation. You can just exhaust the air from the box into your basement for a little free heat.

For a 600 HPS, I would build a chamber from soil faced foam board--1/2" thick in 4x8 foot sheets at home supply place. It's about 8 bucks a sheet and you can cut it w/ a razor knife and get silver foil tape for hvac work to tape the corners together. Make a box 4x4x8foot high, add a lid with some 2x2 lumber to support the lamp. Put a hole up high for an exhaust fan and some slots down low for inlets. Keep it simple and cheap, after the first grow get fancy if you want, or keep using it. Start small and learn by doing.

Your genetics are pretty different, you will have some short and fat and some tall and lanky--you will have to work to keep the Diesel short. Study topping and supercropping.

I would use soil, like I said already. Get some Fox Farms Ocean Forest (FFOF) and cut it with 1/3 to 1/2 perlite. I would start 5 or 6 seeds and only one strain to start with. Start your seeds in 16 to 20 oz cups for the first couple of weeks, then transplant to 2 to 3 gallon containers. Your plants can't get too big in your space.....you will only be able to veg for a few weeks at the most, top them early to encourage 4 tops per plant. When you top them, take the cutting and start some clones. You want to have a clone for each plant before they are flowered. When you figure out which are males you can decide what to do. After harvest, dry, cure, and sampling, you will determine the best "mother" plant (one of the clones you took 10 weeks ago). Now you can take more clones of her and repeat.

I'll be here for you.
nice overall gameplan for beginners. you guys with experience leave us new people almost no excuse to fail with your seemingly endless growing wisdom and willingness to share. thank you :thanks:

Moksha,

I like the idea of you starting with a nice sized budget. Lots including myself start with a small budget and get some cfl's and bag seed. Next grow bought a 400w hps, next grow sold that and bought a 600w. i wish I would have just bought the 600w at first. Nothing wrong with the cfl's, but if your budget is a grand you have to go with a more powerful light.

On the light issue, 600w hps and some fluros for mother would be my advice. Or consider a good LED. More money, but still well in your budget. I have been seeing some nice buds on here with guys trying them. Not sure if it's good for getting your feet wet though.

Soil probably cheaper and easier for beginning. Check some of Doc Buds grows to see what low price nutes like OC+ can do. But hydro isn't hard if you do your home work.

Buy some good seeds, and good luck.

I second the OC+, use it in my outdoor stuff. Also look into Organicare by Botanicare--organic, time release, cheap. GMT1975A is using it in his grow and loves it. I will try it when I use up what I have (several Espoma organics and OC+).

Hey Mok, I'm subscribed to your thread and seeing how it's going with you.
What kinda lights you went with, and system you chose.
maybe me bored, idk. but how's it goin?

Hey, glad to see another MMJ enthusiast here at 420Magazine!! I was reading thru your post as well as all of the feedback, but I did not see your room size? or what kind of space you will be growing in...even though minimal, there still is cost involved with room setup and this would help to give a better idea of what you are working with, and what to suggest...

Also, as mentioned before, there are costs that are associated with growing that are not all up front....electricity is a big one...adding just 1 600w light on an 18hr cycle will raise your bill up a good 40-60$ a month...figure anywhere from a 3-5 month growing cycle, thats another 120$-300$ in cost's you will have to shell out for.

I do see it very possible to meet your goal, or at least come close to it with your budget... My 1st grow my goal was to spend about 800$ and come out with some nice buds.... overall the total grow cost about 1800$ (which includes electric and distilled water bottles) but I did manage to get over a pound dried of very top shelf nugs....on my 1st grow!! It's very possible, but will require a lot of knowledge, care, and time your 1st go around...lucky for you, you have us!! lol....

I would definitly recommend the soil route...

Shop around on Craigslist and other similar sites for used equipment, will save you tons of money

take advantage of our sponsors and the discounts that you recieve here at 420mag...

building whatever you can DIY vs buying it pre-made will save you tons!!!

Hope this helps...

what size room or growing area are you working with?
do you plan on a flowering and veg area? or doing both in same area?

UPDATE

Sorry for leaving everyone stranded! My lease was up at my old home and it wasn't 420 friendly(landlord). My new location is 420 friendly and has required a lot of renovations in the house. This has also cut into the grow budget. Fortunately the house is near complete. So...back to project green.

I have bought a full HID system, fan/ductwork, and timers...etc. I will have a part list up soon. I will also be taking pictures of the room before, during and at the end of construction. I hope this will allow for criticism on how making the grow better.

In the mean time i have one concern to ponder. The basement runs a high humidity down there(damp detroit basement). 74-79......this is the normal....no lights or anything. I'm thinking I may need a de-humidifier.... Kinda worried about this already! The house did have some windows boarded up so thinking it might just need to dry the house completely out.

Again thanks everyone for the great advice.

In the mean time i have one concern to ponder. The basement runs a high humidity down there(damp detroit basement). 74-79......this is the normal....no lights or anything. I'm thinking I may need a de-humidifier.... Kinda worried about this already! The house did have some windows boarded up so thinking it might just need to dry the house completely out.

Again thanks everyone for the great advice.

Ouch. Yeah, I would be gravely concerned about mold/mildew. Not just for your plants, but for your own health. If it's not too late, perhaps you might find a different house to rent which has basement humidity levels at or under 60% - or one which doesn't have a basement at all? I'm told that there are a number of vacant properties in Detroit. Or if you like the place enough to stay, maybe you could get the landlord to have a professional waterproof it (might be expensive). There are things you can do yourself. For example, make sure all combustion appliances - furnace, water heater, clothes dryer, et cetera - vent outside and not into your basement (which would be unhealthy in more ways than just adding warm moist mold-supporting air). If the house sits on a hill or slope, you can dig down to the foundation all along the perimeter of the house, repair any cracks in the mortar joints (I'm assuming cinder block walls), tar or otherwise seal the outer walls, and install French drains... But that ends up seeming like a lot of work. Dad did it to the house we moved into in the 70s and it took him at least a couple of weeks of after-work err... work. And that didn't count the time he had in demolishing the front porch before doing the front of the house and building a new porch after he was finished back-filling. That fixed the parents' house for the most part - a couple of dehumidyfiers (they later partially finished the basement and there wasn't enough air movement to use one large "industrial" model) took care of any humidity added by people living in the house although they added some heat, of course. But digging a ditch that deep all the way around the house was a lot of hard work; he used a pick (we had some rock), shovel, and wheelbarrow. Then again, Pop was almost 50 and working 40-60 (usually 60) hours a week at a very physical job and the only real help he had was my brother as I was too young - and Mom was scared that the ditch would collapse or something (probably unlikely since it was all rock and - heavy, lol - red clay, but still, you know mothers) so she wouldn't let Pop put him in the ditch with a shovel of his own but he made countless trips down the hill and back with the wheelbarrow. Dad being Dad, I don't suppose he'd have paid some poor schmucks to do it even if he hadn't been poor, but since you're just renting you might see if your landlord would pay for some labor - or give you free rent for the rest of the year. And think about securing a long-term lease, as that kind of improvement tends to improve the health of the structure - and occupants - enough that whatever he's getting now, he would likely be able to get more afterwards.

Or... Once in a while in my area empty houses get auctioned off. Usually they're in need of rehabilitation, but they tend to go for a pittance (sometimes there are a couple of years' worth of property taxes owed and that might be the winning bid). They're not in the best of neighborhoods, you might have nearby traffic noises until late at night because they're not "full residential" areas, there might be a convenience store nearby that invites the occasional stumbling drunkard to pass your house at 1am singing to himself, or the house might set directly across from a cemetery (personally, I find that the occupants of cemeteries make the BEST neighbors ever, but some people are kind of funny).

I just did a Google search for recent home sales on eBay (things like that usually go for next to nothing) and saw a set of six houses (seven units, one must have been a duplex rental), "Dearborn neighborhood," nearest schools being Parker Elementary School, Drew Middle School and MacKenzie High School. (Provided for your reference, I don't know anything about the area.) Think I saw Vancouver St. mentioned. The ad mentioned an estimated $3k-$3.5k rehab for each, but the sale was being financed by the owner with the winning bid being the down payment and payments being $150/house for only four years; the winning bid was $1525 so someone bought six houses for $44,725 (plus rehab, which might be substantial).

There are actually two houses (that I can see) up for auction on eBay in that area. Which probably means that there are a number that can be had cheaply. They both look like they're so close to the neighboring houses that if you are sitting on the toilet and realize that you are out of toilet paper, you could probably lean out your bathroom window, knock on your neighbor's bathroom window, and ask him if he has an extra roll, lol, but I hear that "city" houses don't have a lot of property with them.

One is listed as a "nice" house that only needs cleaning - although it looks like it's full of trash and old furniture/clothes/dishes. Has an old wooden garage towards the back of the property. 1200 square feet. Bidding ends tomorrow and the current bid for the property (not a down-payment) is $232.50, lol. Might not be in the best of neighborhoods, IDK. Address is 20240 Norwood. OUCH! I just checked the neighborhood profile and it lists both violent crime and property crime indexes at 8.0! I thought my location was high at 3.0/5.0 since our regional average is 2.0/2.0. I guess that's why the house is going for less than a week's stay in a hotel.

Get some air moving down there ASAP. It's getting drier outside now that the summer heat is over. Make sure there is no water leaking in after/during a heavy rain. If there are any cracks leaking, chip them out and pack in hydraulic cement. It will seal it up. Try to get an idea where the source of the humidity is before you set up......

Back
Top Bottom