100% females from scarce stash seeds?

UrBuddy

I bought this really good bud from a friend of mine and found 5 seeds out of the entire half ounce. This bud was really skunky and the strain is unknown. It was clearly grown indoors. It was very high quality and had been handled well and I definetly paid enough for it.

Well I have grown once before 2 years ago, and had all my gear packed in a box in my closet. I got high and decided to break it out. It's not much, 5 flourescent grow tubes strategically hung. 8" pots, good sterile soil, awesome home-made organic compost...Cheap yes but it worked for a small closet with no ventilation.
IMAGE_00269.jpg

This is from my last crop.

Anyway, all five of these seeds are female. I wonder if since I found only a very small number of seeds, this particular plant was a hermie?

If so, does it make sense to say that some random bag-seeds found from good dubs that are close, but not quite sensi, probably accidentally fertilized unknowingly, and produced 100% fems? And they dont even look bad... they smell like a skunk rotted in my closet and the hairs are crystalizing already.... I can't post attachments

I think this happens a lot to outdoor grows that go unattended by novice growers. They miss one male and boom, all the girls start spitting seeds. Gotta do something with it.

Racefan said:
or a female plant self polinated with some banannas. I just pulled a plant because of the banannas it started showing.

Then that means that it was hermi to begin with right? Cause I think he is wondering if his sack was chronic to begin with. Not sure though i am slightly high. :cool:

realtalgrower said:
Then that means that it was hermi to begin with right? Cause I think he is wondering if his sack was chronic to begin with. Not sure though i am slightly high. :cool:
Depends on why it selfed to begin with. Most hermies go the full route with the full pollen sacks hanging down and all. Selfed plants only throw out a single bananna here and there. The difference is a lot of pollen. Selfed plants don't throw a lot of pollen and hermies can. But to be exact...yes selfing is a sort of hermorphism. But selfing is usually brought on by stress of some sort which means the plant hermied due to enviromental factors and not genetics. Soma feminizes seeds by growing his females a few weeks longer than nornmal which causes stress which causes banannas which produces female pollen. This produces all female seeds. Soma did a article about this in cannabis culture, I think, a while back.

Racefan said:
Depends on why it selfed to begin with. Most hermies go the full route with the full pollen sacks hanging down and all. Selfed plants only throw out a single bananna here and there. The difference is a lot of pollen. Selfed plants don't throw a lot of pollen and hermies can. But to be exact...yes selfing is a sort of hermorphism. But selfing is usually brought on by stress of some sort which means the plant hermied due to enviromental factors and not genetics. Soma feminizes seeds by growing his females a few weeks longer than nornmal which causes stress which causes banannas which produces female pollen. This produces all female seeds. Soma did a article about this for either cannabis culture or high times a while back.

I have to disagree with you re: "But selfing is usually brought on by stress of some sort which means the plant hermied due to enviromental factors and not genetics."
I grew 5 plants from the same bag seeds that grew happy and healthy and totally unstressed in a SoCal backyard. Lots of sun, regular watering, mellow vibes. Ok ok I did use miracle grow (forgive me Mother Ganja I didn't know any better). I would even sit out there with my 6-string sometimes and serenade them (no negative comments on my musical abilities please).
All of the plants from the same bag seed selfed. Like about 15 seeds per 7' tall 1.5 lb. yield ladies. Deep in the buds here and there I'd find a seed. Breaking up a bud and a dark ripe seed would pop out, invariably along with a banana.

The problem with herm's & self's is that yes the resultant seeds will be almost exclusively females BUT will carry that selfing gene. The seeds in the bag I mentioned were imo all from the same selfed girl.

That's not to say that stress can't cause selfed plants, but not always. Sometimes it's genetic.

HOw hard on a plant do you have to be before it will turn hermi? This is a thought that has been i nthe back of my mind since they were so small way back when...

realtalgrower said:
HOw hard on a plant do you have to be before it will turn hermi? This is a thought that has been i nthe back of my mind since they were so small way back when...
Well IMO it depends on the genetics. Unstable genetics could hermie from too much wind, a broken branch anything that causes even the slightest stress. Some strains will not hermie no matter what you do to them. It just depends on the genetics.

I grew a killer strain--Kavorkian--for several years.
Never had a problem with 'em turning herm.
Then I took 5 days off for a trip out of town and asked this guy next-door to look in on them every day and call me if there was a problem.
The plants were about 2 weeks into flowering and I told him to check up on them between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. when the lights were on.
When I came home I found the door to the grow chamber wide open.
The guy had left the door open the entire 5 days, and the room the chamber was in had windows and there was light in that room in the daytime.

All of the plants and I mean ALL of them turned heavily herm.

UrBuddy said:
Anyway, all five of these seeds are female. I wonder if since I found only a very small number of seeds, this particular plant was a hermie?
It's very possible. Any signs of male pods in the bud?

UrBuddy said:
If so, does it make sense to say that some random bag-seeds found from good dubs that are close, but not quite sensi, probably accidentally fertilized unknowingly, and produced 100% fems? And they dont even look bad... they smell like a skunk rotted in my closet and the hairs are crystalizing already.... I can't post attachments
Not really...but it could happen. More than likely there was random pollen in the grow area, or blowing in the wind.

You should be able to upload pictures while in the gallery section. PM me if you have problems.

I got four girls on my first grow and that was pulled out of some REAL seedy bud.

FTTp1.jpg

Ok so everything I posted previously was a lie. This is one of my 5 "fems" and it looks like a herm to me. Never seen one except online so... you tell me homies...!

One of the other 5 shows the same traits yet not quite as advanced.

EFF ME ---- - I have to chunk this plant don't I?

Can't I just clip off or pinch off the balls?

I would remove any plant that grows balls as soon as I see them.
A herm. can grow HUNDREDS of balls, and if you miss just one, that's all it takes to pollinate hundreds of plants (each pollen sac contains thousands of grains of pollen).

Back
Top Bottom