1st Grow Cabinet

Lost1

Hello everyone,
This is my first build so all input is welcome, good or bad.

After reading for about a month and looking at everyone's pictures, I jumped out there and bought a $108 48" cabinet.
before2.JPG

Durning the build I realized that it this was a poorly made product.
It was unstable and doors did not close well. This was a set back that was not expected.
durning.JPG

By adding some bolt latches, 1 for the inside of the flowering area (future use). This would keep me from opening it durning lights off and help the sealing of complete cabinet. The other 1 is on the outside with a lock just incase someone wants to peek inside (kids).

After trying 2 or 3 diffrent types of weather stripping it was not sealing.
Then I tried caulking on top of the stripping, knowing that it would not stick to the laminated surface of the doors. This worked like a charm. No light in or out. :)

Now time for ventilation. I didnt want any holes that could be seen.
So I put the intake and exhaust on the top.
2 120cm cpu fans, one on top and one at the bottom.
I have not completed the filter yet so this will come later in the thread.

I also installed a GFCI in the cabinet, safety first.

vegdone.JPG

Lighting. I will be using CFL's for veg and possibly for flowering too.

lightson1.JPG

To be continued...

Hey man cool cabinet, I'm a noob looking for a similar set up...what brand/wattage/colour are the cfl's? What about the cabinet, where was it bought and for approx how much? I've seen things at home depot in both particle board laminate stuff and some somewhat rigid plastic, like garage cabinets i suppose. Would you recommend grabbing something like that or will this cabinet that you have work out fine? Cheers and good luck

Home Depots in Canada carry Philips cfl's and 6500k are no problem to find in 23w and 42w sizes. I also found a source for 100w cfl's (big boys) made by a chinese company Luxite for about $15 CAD per bulb.

Nice modifications. Very sanitary work on your closet. I see we both use the same horizontal power strip, and socket mounted CFL's.

all my home depot carries is 3000k 65watt. i bought it anyway for extra light during flowering
no 6500k's over 26 watts. none at lowes either.
i ordered a 200 watt 6500k and the reflector. it works awesome, but the reflector and bulb cost $78 usd.
anyway good luck with your grow.
nice little set up and it looks like a regular storage closet

Check out Lights of America web site. Quite a selection of CFL's.

Thanks again for your comment.

Soil? Whoa, can-o-worms subject. I'm sure everyone has their own favorite. I've been using African Violet potting soil for 3 years for both veg & flower. Fahard's is my personal choice, loamy, drains well, no 'built-in' nutes.

My two cents worth.

that's a really kick ass set up you have there. I'd like to do something along those lines when we start. It would fit perfect in my walk-in closet. Good luck on your grow!

I just bought the same cabinet myself from Home Depot and am in the process of setting it up. This will be my second cabinet. I know this thread is old but why would anyone pay for a cfl and reflector for $80 when you could get a 150 watt hps complete setup for a little less?

image5834.jpg
image5759.jpg
I built something similar. I was able to make small weather striping work by adjusting the hinges in and out. Air tight. I used 2" abs pipe with generic floor vent covers and hose clamps for inlet in back of cab. Two inlets come into the bottom chamber. From there 2 more pipes connect from lower to upper chamber. Works out well. One problem I had using white mellomine is mine is out in a cold shop. When the temps got under 40 I would get condisation sometimes. Caused minor swelling on some door corners. Still works great though. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom