1ST Grow - My seedlings are sick - perhaps dead

MadRicky

SOIL GROW

Strain - Can't remember exactly but they are autoflowers about 50/50 sativa/indica plus exactly 30% ruderalis.
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative (seedlings)
Lights - Natural Sunlight
Nutrients - None so far
Medium - Cotton
Humidity - It has varied from 30% to 80%
PH - Unknown but the cotton has a pH of 6-6.5 and the distilled water says 5.8-7 @20ºC(68ºF) on the label.
Temperature - +10ºC(50ºF) to 25ºC(77ºF)

PHOTOS --> MadRicky Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

I have put the seeds inside a bowl with distilled water. After 2 days the seeds sprouted. Then I moved them into earth soil and after almost 1 week of not seeing them coming up, I moved them again into cotton and started to see some progress. About 3-4 days ago they stalled growing. In fact they've became kinda gray/brown looking. I think it's all dead. Where did I go wrong? My guess is too low temp. Please help, thanks.

First, please read this: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

I know it's a lot to read. But it'll save you from having to post a million questions, and waiting forever for answers.

Next. 10C 50F is way too cold. Room temp dude, 70-80 works fine, I try to keep my room right at 75.

Direct sunlight, or just in the light of the sun? They'll need direct sunlight for optimal growth.

Humidity.. eh. The plant does better with 60-80% humidity in Veg, but it will grow with a little less than that too. You should be ok there,, but again, it's not optimal.

PH seems fine. I never adjust my PH for seeds, or seedlings.

They can take up to 2 weeks to emerge, depending on how deep they were planted. One you plant them, keep the medium moist, and just leave them alone. Do not overwater. Don't water until runoff with seeds. Moist. If you touch the soil, you can feel it's cool and wet, but if you squeeze a handful of it, there should be no water dripping out. That's too wet IMO. Just moist.

Here's how to add pictures to your posts: Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Seedlings look real bad, I hate to say. They might not make it bud. I don't know how effective cotton is as a rooting medium so I can't comment there.

Personally, I like to keep it simple when I plant seeds. I scarify the outer shall lightly, plant them 1-2" down in their pots, and just keep it moist. I see sprouts in 3-5 days normally.

Just keep shit simple man, when you complicate things is where trouble usually starts.

Here's a link to my germination process: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

Works for me man, 100% so far.

God dammit, I suck at this.

Thanks for the helpful information. Seems like the temperature is what fucked it all. I thought I was prepared but guess there's still lot to learn.
Interesting method of yours, scuffing a little of the outside seed.

I will try again then. This time using a tent to create a warm and humid environment.
Also, can you recommend me a good medium for rooting? What do you think about peat+worm casting?

One more thing. What is the most cannabis similar like plant so I can train? Is there anything that requires roughly the same pH, temp. and humidity levels?

Thanks

It's not really difficult to grow Cannabis, but there is a fair amount to learn to get you started. People say it grows like a weed and grows anywhere, and maybe that's true in some cases, but it's not invincible.

50F 10C is fine for a flowering plant, during lights out if it's a purple strain. Otherwise, I wouldn't drop below 65F for night time temps.

My method is a slight variation of one used by another member. He uses some 300 grit sandpaper lined on the bottom of a matchbox, places his seeds in there, and lightly shakes it around a bit. My method just requires a little more care not to press too hard.

I don't soak them in water, or use paper towels, but every grower finds a method they like, and what works for them.

Soil works, coco, peat, rockwool, they all work fine. coco and rockwool may require more watering to keep them moist, and peat may also require a little more watering, although I haven't used it myself. I find soil to be the easiest for germinating.
Unsure about the peat/worm casting, but I don't see any reasons it wouldn't work. Just don't have the level of NPK too high in the mix, that can also hurt seedlings.

Tents, cabinets, they'll all work fine. Even a small cabinet, or old computer case can be easily converted into a small germination cabinet.

No idea on a similar plant to be honest. I've never grown my outdoor plants indoors, and vice versa. If you can get your hands on some bagseed, that'd be a cheap way to practice.

I've seen a lot of people say tomatoes, but hops are much closer related in the Cannabaceae family, but grow quite differently, as they tend to climb, and are perrenials.

Yes, 50F is way too cold. I would look into getting a little seed starter heat mat and a humidity dome and this should solve all your problems.

Back
Top Bottom