2 females buddin ... need help on lighting

MOTAvation

420 Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner
i wanted to ask our fellow pot smokers , do any of you know how far away the light has to be away from the plant when their flowering? and how much light u need, im using a florecent light think its 15w is that enough?

A BONG I DID
I DID A BONG
I DID A DID
A BONG I DID
:bongrip:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure 15w is not nearly enough. Someone with some experience will be able to give you a much better answer.

You do need more light but you can use more flouros if you have too.
About two to three inches away but wait for another grower that uses flouros to answer your question better.

will 2 florencents do ? or still to little light.... maybe im gonna have to put them on my porche , but it will only get like 5 hours of direct sun light . what do u recomend 2 flouros
15 w or 5 hours of direct sun light

Either use 4 foot flourescents, or use 3 or 4 65 w CFL <spiral flouros. Daylight or soft white bulbs are good, plant bulbs if you can find them.

I've got some girls that just started flowering under flouros. Becasue of space constraints, I have three two foot flouros, two are "daylight" (more blue) and one was a "plant" (more red) spectrum. They have been really happy thus far, but growth seems to be slowed a little near the bottom. Since the flouros are a fairly low wattage and lower lumes output the light doesn't get to the lower leaves as much as it should. I am planning on finishing with these flouros just to see how it works out, but I am looking into purchasing a 250 to 400 watt HPS for the flowering.

In a simple answer, more, more, more. Flouros are low heat producers and low lumens producers. Just be careful that the plants do have a little space, I had one that kept growing to the lights and burning the tips, but just the tips.

You won't get much from the bottom of the plants using flouros, You have to concentrate on the top colas. Thats where your weight is.

MOTAvation said:
will 2 florencents do ? or still to little light.... maybe im gonna have to put them on my porche , but it will only get like 5 hours of direct sun light . what do u recomend 2 flouros
15 w or 5 hours of direct sun light

Niether one will work. Flowering plants need 12 hours of light per day, and 15 watts is not going to cut it. Go to home depot and spend $9 on a 55 watt flouro(fits into a regular socket just like your 15watt) and another $5 on a timer so your plants can have a set schedual(NECESSARY). Like everyone has said fluoros are far from ideal during flowering, but you should be able to get it to harvest if you can get your plant enough light.

i put 2 , 25w light bulbs i dont know wat kinda light it is but it looks like the buds are growing faster n better im gonna stick to those light bulbs for 3 days if not ima go to homedepot n buy those 55 watt for my next grow ... i think im doing pretty good for my 2nd grow anyways thanks for ur help till next time TOKE AWAY

I broke down and ordered an 400 watt HPS system from insidesun.com today. Not a bad price for one of their refurbs, $90. After price shopping and comparing cost of CFL and other high output flouros I decided I can't lose with this HPS. I am already seeing the effects of having just flouros for flowering. I can see that the lower branches aren't as happy as the upper braches, just not getting enough light. So hopefully I can get my HPS up and running in time to get a worth while crop out of my plants.

i tryed budding mine under a 125w flouro flowering bulb which didnt do alot, after about 2 weeks i swapped them over and put them under the 400 hps, you'll notice the differance within 24hrs pal, the investment with be worth it!!!!

I would recommend at least using a 250w system of some kind. 15w is not nearly enough to get plants to flower and anything less than 200w will result in less potency and yeild than under normal conditions. A 400w system would be best however.

what exactly would happen if you had used a fifteen watt bulb, would the plant stretch and have big internodes? Cause thats what ive done and i have a foot tall plant flowering but the space between the nodes is crazy i dont think it will fill out its in its second week of budding and the top one is the size of a nickel. my friends neighbor has these 400 watt hps sitting in his garage and hes gonna talk the guy into just letting him have one.

will a 250w waste a lot of energy , will it show a difference in ur light bill ? cuz i live in apt's n i dont wana risk it of gettin busted ... sdge might notice some diferences in my bill ? is that possible gettin busted for more watts showin on ur bill?

I broke down and bought a 400 HPS.(insidesun) I have yet to install it, but I plugged it in to try it out and holy shit! "The future's so bright, I gotta wear Shades"! The ballast does give off a high pitched tone which seems to vary if it is moved.

I have been using about 300w of CFL's on one or two plants and getting what I consider a reasonable yield of 1.5 pint mason jars full of bud per plant.
I understand that this is paltry compared with the HPS response. I have ventilation issues to address as my space is 8 feet wide and nearly 8 feet tall, but only 26" deep! Typical closet really.

25 watts just isn't going to justify the effort of finding seeds and providing the space IMO.

PS- The 300w CFL's cost me $9/$15 per month to burn depending on 12/18.
You could spend more if you blow dry your hair alot. Plus CFL's are long lasting and energy efficient. I haven't grown in an apt but that is probably b/c I was always planning on moving soon while in apts. Relocating and growing don't mix well!

i bought a 250w hps light, i build my own box its like 3ft by 3ft ... will it get hot too hot for my plants? will it burn them? I wana start a new grow thats why im asking. Im startin vegitation with flouros then im using the hps light for flowering.

if you have proper ventilation then the heat wont ever be a problem. i recommend having 2 6inch fans, one for intake and one for exhaust. removing the hot air from around the bulb will keep the heat down.

Back
Top Bottom