2015 Mars-Hydro tent review

Packaging was discreet (wasn't shipped though, bought it at a store).

It doesn't state Mars-Hydro, or list the contents of a tent and then also have the size of the tent, which would make it clear as could be that it's an indoor grow tent instead of a camping tent, lol?

However, I wouldn't buy another one.

The only issues are light leaks, and big time.

Yikes! Since the primary - if not the only - reason that a person buys a grow tent is so that they can provide a ZERO-light environment for their plants during the lights-out period (and, to a lesser extent, to keep the light from being seen from outside the tent), that's like stating that the only issues with a hammer is that it's completely incapable of driving in and removing nails. In other words, that it's completely useless at the purpose for which it was designed, advertised, sold... and bought by the end-user.

Does it look like you might have gotten a defective product? Or is it just a PoS?

BtW, thank you for your candor!

Hey tortured,
I just wrote a big reply but messed it up as I'm new to the site and on mobile.
The light issue sucks, yes. I don't want to poop all over mars tents because they would make a great vegging or autoflower option, and are affordable. Good venting and electrical openings, which leak zero light.
I had a hermie problem this grow (only my second) but to be fair they were from a hermie plant, so that could be the issue.
The light leaks from the ceiling could be my doing, the tent sure isn't rated to hang 3 big led lights and 2 ufos, and I stretched the material.
However, the leaks from the zippers (all of them) and the rectangular velcro vents on the bottom (which are screened, nice touch) are annoying and can cause problems. I had to cover my tent in moving blankets and plywood to cover it fully when I found the hermies at 5 weeks flower. No choice but to pull the male flowers and keep going since I'm moving soon, hoping for the best.

We add material above the zipper seam to prevent light-leak from inside.:Namaste:
May i know where did you purchased your tent?:high-five:
EBD45CBB1BB9FE75DDE6E2EECF0A3D35.png
60684FAC49B5037B013F7582E8A01D33.png

Hey guys, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... I got a 5x5 mars tent this summer. Packaging was discreet (wasn't shipped though, bought it at a store). It is a good quality tent for the most part, didn't rip easily and has held waaaay too much weight without buckling.
However, I wouldn't buy another one. I got mine for $150 with purchase of a mars 2 1200. The only issues are light leaks, and big time. The flaps inside to cover the zippers aren't big enough, and you can see telltale purple coming through the zippers. The velcro vents on the bottom leak like crazy too. The last complaint was probably my own fault, too much light hanging up top and the corners were stretched until they too leak light.
I would give it a 2.5/5
Thanks
Not affiliated with any grow companies, real person, etc.

:thanks:
It doesn't state Mars-Hydro, or list the contents of a tent and then also have the size of the tent, which would make it clear as could be that it's an indoor grow tent instead of a camping tent, lol?

Yikes! Since the primary - if not the only - reason that a person buys a grow tent is so that they can provide a ZERO-light environment for their plants during the lights-out period (and, to a lesser extent, to keep the light from being seen from outside the tent), that's like stating that the only issues with a hammer is that it's completely incapable of driving in and removing nails. In other words, that it's completely useless at the purpose for which it was designed, advertised, sold... and bought by the end-user.

Does it look like you might have gotten a defective product? Or is it just a PoS?

BtW, thank you for your candor!

Do you have picture of the tent? We will try our best to help you.:high-five:
Hey tortured,
I just wrote a big reply but messed it up as I'm new to the site and on mobile.
The light issue sucks, yes. I don't want to poop all over mars tents because they would make a great vegging or autoflower option, and are affordable. Good venting and electrical openings, which leak zero light.
I had a hermie problem this grow (only my second) but to be fair they were from a hermie plant, so that could be the issue.
The light leaks from the ceiling could be my doing, the tent sure isn't rated to hang 3 big led lights and 2 ufos, and I stretched the material.
However, the leaks from the zippers (all of them) and the rectangular velcro vents on the bottom (which are screened, nice touch) are annoying and can cause problems. I had to cover my tent in moving blankets and plywood to cover it fully when I found the hermies at 5 weeks flower. No choice but to pull the male flowers and keep going since I'm moving soon, hoping for the best.

I just checked their website, and read that the 5'x5' tent is rated for a 140-pound load (from the ceiling). If your lights (et cetera) total more than the rated capacity, then it could be attributable to that.

However, the leaks from the zippers (all of them) and the rectangular velcro vents on the bottom (which are screened, nice touch) are annoying and can cause problems.

Yes, light leaks can definitely cause issues with the plants.

I had to cover my tent in moving blankets and plywood to cover it fully when I found the hermies at 5 weeks flower. No choice but to pull the male flowers and keep going

Ouch! You have my sympathies. Not only for the light leaks, but for having to rig up some covering, too.

I have seen that Mars-Hydro is in the middle of redesigning their tents. Perhaps your issues have been addressed (I don't know). They are going to be sending one of their 4'x4' grow tents and an LED panel in the near future (Sara will pick the lucky reviewer on September 30) to someone for review/testing/learning/teaching purposes. I hope that it's the new version of their tent.

I'll upload a pic tonight. I know mars is a sponsor so I wanted to tread lightly, and I've noticed how quick Sara has been to reply to issues, don't want to make a big fuss.

Ok my first try at uploading pics has failed, not sure if it's possible on mobile I'll have to read faq's. Looked at it tonight (after removing the blankets) and after massaging the velcro best I could, I still had leaks. And little pin hole leaks around the zippers. I'll see if I can borrow a computer to post if I can't do it from my phone.

20160907_211318.jpg
20160907_211134.jpg

Edited - took me forever to upload 2 pics, first is the homeless shanty/grow, second is the left side velcro vent. I'm at a remote property and Internet is terrible, more to come

Here are some more pics I took last night. Left the lights on downstairs so the leaks might be harder to see but oh well. Included are right hand side rectangular velcro vent, front zipper leak, shot of logo on tent, and what's growing inside! FWIW I would actually retract my statement about not buying one again as it was a good deal, I just might not use it for photo flowering.
In case anyone is curious, I did try taping the seams way back when with reflective hvac tape (inside and out) but the movement of air inside kept pulling it off, so I went with the blankets.

I could wish that they'd put their logo on the inside of the tent instead of the outside, as it would be more stealthy - it almost looks like a portable wardrobe that someone might hang clothes in. Then again, the fan/etc. noise would probably give it away anyway, so it might be a moot point.

BtW, I saw when you first posted the images that you inadvertently posted the tiny thumbnails to the images instead of the actual pictures. I asked one of the staff to fix them (and the staff member did - THANKS!). But I notice that you did the same thing in your next post. They usually send a link to the "how to insert images in posts" thread. Did the person not do that this time, or was it just not helpful for you?

Hey tortured,
True the uninitiated may mistake it for a wardrobe and you could probably excuse away fans too if you had to....
I saw they edited it and changed the pic display, but I wasn't sent a link - I'll figure it out. Apologies for noob behavior, being remote makes it harder to figure this stuff out quickly

It's no problem,if there are any problems with our products,we will try our best to help.:high-five:
I'll upload a pic tonight. I know mars is a sponsor so I wanted to tread lightly, and I've noticed how quick Sara has been to reply to issues, don't want to make a big fuss.

:thanks:Our tent can rated capacity is around 80-90KG (from the ceiling).:high-five:
We make new design for the tent,so we can put the seedling room with flowering room together.:high-five:
I just checked their website, and read that the 5'x5' tent is rated for a 140-pound load (from the ceiling). If your lights (et cetera) total more than the rated capacity, then it could be attributable to that.

Yes, light leaks can definitely cause issues with the plants.

Ouch! You have my sympathies. Not only for the light leaks, but for having to rig up some covering, too.

I have seen that Mars-Hydro is in the middle of redesigning their tents. Perhaps your issues have been addressed (I don't know). They are going to be sending one of their 4'x4' grow tents and an LED panel in the near future (Sara will pick the lucky reviewer on September 30) to someone for review/testing/learning/teaching purposes. I hope that it's the new version of their tent.

:circle-of-love:May i know when did you bought your tent? I noticed some fabric already broken,so as the zipper.:Namaste:

Here are some more pics I took last night. Left the lights on downstairs so the leaks might be harder to see but oh well. Included are right hand side rectangular velcro vent, front zipper leak, shot of logo on tent, and what's growing inside! FWIW I would actually retract my statement about not buying one again as it was a good deal, I just might not use it for photo flowering.
In case anyone is curious, I did try taping the seams way back when with reflective hvac tape (inside and out) but the movement of air inside kept pulling it off, so I went with the blankets.

Sara - as far as the zipper goes, I could have broken it, it could have come broken, I don't know. I just wanted to chime in on a review of a product and how it worked out for me. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving out the name of the local store in my small town, for a couple reasons...
I've been using the tent for about 3 months now, it was new in the box when I got it. Everything was bundled well so it seemed like it was brand new not used as a demo or anything.
I like the tent for what it is, but I think next time I'm going for a fully sealed room and have a little more space.
:high-five:

I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving out the name of the local store in my small town, for a couple reasons.

I don't blame you for not wishing to post personal information in a public thread. And it looks like you're about 39 posts shy of being able to send PMs (private messages). But you could always send her an email.

I've been using the tent for about 3 months now, it was new in the box when I got it. Everything was bundled well so it seemed like it was brand new not used as a demo or anything.

I didn't even know that Mars-Hydro had any authorized retailers (other than themselves). I only knew of sales on their own website and via Amazon and eBay (but I think that is them, too, as the actual listed seller).

The place in your town isn't a flea-market, is it?

Hi Halibut,you can send email to sales18@lgledsolutions.com,we will check for you.:high-five:
Sara - as far as the zipper goes, I could have broken it, it could have come broken, I don't know. I just wanted to chime in on a review of a product and how it worked out for me. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving out the name of the local store in my small town, for a couple reasons...
I like the tent for what it is, but I think next time I'm going for a fully sealed room and have a little more space.
:high-five:

:circle-of-love:We have signed some authorized retailers ,but they do not sell all of our lights,i need to confirm which store he bought his tent.From the pictures,i noticed some parts have been broken,and the zipper is broken too.As he only used that tent for 3 month,it can not be that bad.:Namaste:
I don't blame you for not wishing to post personal information in a public thread. And it looks like you're about 39 posts shy of being able to send PMs (private messages). But you could always send her an email.

I didn't even know that Mars-Hydro had any authorized retailers (other than themselves). I only knew of sales on their own website and via Amazon and eBay (but I think that is them, too, as the actual listed seller).

The place in your town isn't a flea-market, is it?

Back
Top Bottom