250 watt light

moe323

just wonder how a 250 watt light would go in a 2 foot wide 2 foot deep and 5 foot high perpouse built cabinet. i have checked and a 250 watt hps will just fit width wise. there will be plenty of ventalation via large computer fans. is this an alright size or is it too small. and how many plants would you be able to fit in it?

ok. thanks. so with my space i can grow 1 plant with no problems. it will just be very crammped. would this space be to small for a 400 watt hps light or would i be better off to stick with the 250. cheers

also another question. is i was to set up CFL on the underside of the plants would this help in anyway or just be a waste of extra power with no real advantage

well ended up getting a 250 watt hps light. and have it set up in my cupboard but i am having issues with heat. the temp is at about 33 C or 91 F. i have a computer fan mounted in the top sucking air out and another fan in the base pulling air in. the one in the top is 12 cm fan and the one in tha base is a 9 cm fan. i also have a 20 cm desk fan running inside the cupboard. the 2 computer fans are running off a computer power supply. do i need to run heaps more fans in the cupboard to cool it down? or would having more air getting in work better? good thing i have nothing growing in the cupboard yet.

I would suggest , for a cost effective alternative for ventilation, to use a bathroom ventilation fan ( without light fixture). Home depot has a fan for around 14.00 dollars that has a cfm rating (cubic feet per minute) of about 50. They also offer a 70 cfm, for around 25 dollars. If these are too effective, you can modulate there time on and off, using a timer that has 15 minute increments. I have been advised to keep the spacing of the on and off balanced, to avoid the "moister slug" a cumulative build up of moisture in a longer period of uncirulated air.

p.s. I know this post is obscenely late to the conversation, but I hope it might shorten the strained search for learning an economical process, that I myself am currently undergoing

I don't know if this is a bit late on this thread, but I have a mirror to your set up. one of my rooms is 2'x2'x5'. I previously had a 250 watt light, and was reaching 90 degree F, within the optimal light sphere from the fixture. My solution was to air cool the fixture, with the exhaust from my room. This entailed putting glass into the fixture to seal it off, coupled with high temp caulking and aluminum duct tape. First I bought a 4" S&P (Soler and Palau TD-100x 4"/100MM Inline Mixed Flow Duct Fan), which when I put my charcoal filter on, had insufficient air flow to cool the light sphere. It stayed in the low to mid 80's F. I then added a 4" Vortex inline fan, to suck on the fixture while the S&P blew. This kept my temps, about 72 degrees F, about 6" from the fixture. Dope.

My set up was a scrog method with 4 plants. All of the where P.s.ted, and that particular fixture gave me about 12" of usable cola, with the bottom 6" a bit leafy.

I now have a 400w switchable fixture, which an electrician friend of mine informed me, will use less power on a 220v line, than a 250w on a 120v line. Previously I vegged with a 175w MH HID fixture, but this 400w is looking very promising.

So the main point I am trying to make, is one I learned from some very creative cabinet growers on this forum. if you have a small space and are planning on using HID lamps, adequate closed ventilation is very helpful, and it is very do-able to combine your exhaust system with your fixture's air system. On a side note, I also upgraded to a 400w, because the ballast is separate from the hood, which I couldn't air cool in my all-in-one 250w fixture. My current air temps with this new fixture (the sun system, super sun reflector) with my 4" Vortex fan are about 72-75 degrees F, within 3" of the filter glass. I have yet to put a carbon filter on the light exhaust, but I'm more likely to isolate the light exhaust, and install another 4" vortex for room exhaust.

I hope this might be helpful for anyone that reads this thread, thanks.

IMG_16268.JPG

My plants begging under 250watts

Back
Top Bottom